• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #20 - Water Structures

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedLord

R

RedLord

Anyway, I don't know if this one fits on "Water Structure" and my Terraining skills got so bad, been awhile since I used my laptop.

Level 29
Anyway, I don't know if this one fits on "Water Structure" and my Terraining skills got so bad, been awhile since I used my laptop.

shure, as long as is in the water. A castle in the water, I would never imagined that.

depositphotos_121504498-stockafbeelding-3d-afbeelding-van-een-kasteel.jpg

Level 11
and my Terraining skills got so bad, been awhile since I used my laptop.
Are you kidding me? This is beatiful, much better than mine, and that's just your first wip.
Edit: I noticed that everyone uses something, called "game view settings" that changes the lighting, and other things. I have activated it other times without wanting to, but I never knew how to do it or what it does. Would anyone be so kind to explain me ?. Also, I will ask for another explanation. How do they make WE tools disappear that way?

Last edited:
Level 29
Are you kidding me? This is beatiful, much better than mine, and that's just your first wip.
Edit: I noticed that everyone uses something, called "game view settings" that changes the lighting, and other things. I have activated it other times without wanting to, but I never knew how to do it or what it does. Would anyone be so kind to explain me ?. Also, I will ask for another explanation. How do they make WE tools disappear that way?

v botton of the key board, if you defined sky it will show, also no violet squares of many doodads + fog

WE tools disappear that way?

eeeh what??

wich tool?? this??
upload_2019-5-17_18-22-59.png

Level 19

For the game view settings, i'd recommend just using fog and lighting. and day time was it? For sky, you should use custom models which are far better than vanilla skies.

also no violet squares of many doodads

You can disable the helpers with 'I' ;)

Level 11
For the game view settings, i'd recommend just using fog and lighting. and day time was it? For sky, you should use custom models which are far better than vanilla skies.
I'm confused. The message is mine, but about the RedLord's terrain, so who is that advice for? We are both currently using the Blizz sky, without fog (I was planning to add that at the end).

RedLord

R

RedLord

I'm confused. The message is mine, but about the RedLord's terrain, so who is that advice for? We are both currently using the Blizz sky, without fog (I was planning to add that at the end).

I used the Lordaeron Sky (Purple), probably the advice is for you.

--------------

Press "V" button.

Level 29
Ragnaros17's sky looks great!

Wait, is that a tool palette at bottom right on your screenshot? You can hide it by pressing A
^^

mehehe , thats me being layzy, and to make it fun, remember the ship?, no more ship, it was very unreall in the shallow water and not the theme, as stuck in land, but I like the water turrets

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-17_22-41-1.png
    upload_2019-5-17_22-41-1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 145
Level 11
Can someone recommend me a good space sky? I'm currently using a normal sky, with clouds, but Europe has no atmosphere, so it's not something I can maintain.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_051719_201932_04 (1).jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_051719_201932_04 (1).jpg
    1,001.6 KB · Views: 183
Level 11
A naga... Good idea!. But unless there are models of naga without weapons or armor, it will be evident that we are facing a highly intelligent life, and that contradicts the argument, since, if the human found intelligent life in Europe, he would destroy or enslave it, instead of leaving it there.
Maybe a giant murloc, or a giant of the sea (I don't remember the name of this creep, hope you understand me).

Level 29
A naga... Good idea!. But unless there are models of naga without weapons or armor, it will be evident that we are facing a highly intelligent life, and that contradicts the argument, since, if the human found intelligent life in Europe, he would destroy or enslave it, instead of leaving it there.
Maybe a giant murloc, or a giant of the sea (I don't remember the name of this creep, hope you understand me).

I was thinking in the snap dragon.

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-17_23-25-7.png
    upload_2019-5-17_23-25-7.png
    519.4 KB · Views: 172
Last edited by a moderator:

RedLord

R

RedLord

Updating my crap.

Attachments

• Midnight Swamp # 20 (2).png
    Midnight Swamp # 20 (2).png
    857.1 KB · Views: 92
Level 11
I added more human influence, more details, and a sun. I changed the whales model to a modified snap dragon, as Ragnaros17 recommended.

WIP 4

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_051819_150229_02.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_051819_150229_02.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 230
Level 29
I added more human influence, more details, and a sun. I changed the whales model to a modified snap dragon, as Ragnaros17 recommended.

WIP 4

I think I am regreting my recomendation since it looks more like some kind of water algae more than a creature, well perhaps some cool model of the hive can work better... as recomendation ( I am very glad with the ships , air planes models in my entry so far).

star wars trade federation main control ship from star wars episode 1 phantom menace, great one

working far background.

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-19_15-48-10.png
    upload_2019-5-19_15-48-10.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 113
Level 11
Woah, the background is really beautiful, fits very good with the fog.
star wars trade federation main control ship from star wars episode 1 phantom menace, great one
Space theme is space theme. It works.
I changed the water creatures.Yes, i know this is a flying unit, but it looks fine in water, like fin wings running

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_051919_083953_04.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_051919_083953_04.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 220

RedLord

R

RedLord

Is this better than the previous one? because I'm changing it.

Attachments

• Terraining # 1.png
    Terraining # 1.png
    885.7 KB · Views: 201
Level 29
Is this better than the previous one? because I'm changing it.

oh you are changing the castle in the water??, well is good to be open to changes, I did added many things only to remove them later.
but I feel is my duty to warn you tha the ship may not count as water structure (in the poll there was a ships/docks theme to vote).

water structures, by definition a structure is something pretty much fixed to the ground. I hope you can add some kind of docks or even a cheap wooden tower in the water should fit the theme. (hope to help)

looks nice , good luck

What about insert contest to upper menu?

yeah, good point, I cant do it, only can request it to be put (done the request).

RedLord

R

RedLord

Alright, I'll create another one.

I didn't know that you created a poll.

Level 29
Don't worry, the noobie of Leods will make you not look bad (in comparison, and at all, I am horrible).

by looking your entry...
you are not a newby

Hm, I'm not sure I've got technical know-how to pull off my idea and I hardly have time, but I gotta push myself to be better.
Sign me up, I'll do my best but no promises =)

welcome aboard,added to the list, have fun mapping, I recomend you to use the ultimate terraining map 4.0 that is linked in the frontpage.

Level 11
by looking your entry...
you are not a newby
Ohhh ... You'll make me blush ... (joke)
Returning to seriousness. Of course I'm flattered, but ... do you really think that wall of destroyed ice looks like a wall of destroyed ice? That the sky looks like it would be on Jupiter's moon? Or that that structure is realistic? Or that my water management is enough to (if this were possible) not be pre-eliminated for uselessness in the contest? No. I'm definitely a newbie. Well, I'll count down, and keep calm.

Level 29
Ohhh ... You'll make me blush ... (joke)
Returning to seriousness. Of course I'm flattered, but ... do you really think that wall of destroyed ice looks like a wall of destroyed ice? That the sky looks like it would be on Jupiter's moon? Or that that structure is realistic? Or that my water management is enough to (if this were possible) not be pre-eliminated for uselessness in the contest? No. I'm definitely a newbie. Well, I'll count down, and keep calm.

I already think your entry is a nice one, and that can beat mine.
The concept you want to show is very clear.

"do you really think that wall of destroyed ice looks like a wall of destroyed ice?"

yes

"That the sky looks like it would be on Jupiter's moon?"

yes

"Or that that structure is realistic?"

spacecraft theme, yes

"Or that my water management is enough"

yes, nice water manage

"to (if this were possible) not be pre-eliminated for uselessness in the contest?"

you are very usefull to this contest, (sometimes you have to beg users to join your contest)

You clearly have skill,

I would consider the water creature concept, maybe change the angle or something,
sometimes something requires times and test to work (my first ship was crap)

I think this contest is 50% skill and 50% time invest,

Level 11
I already think your entry is a nice one, and that can beat mine.
The situation is obvious. We both underestimate ourselves, so we will never agree (I think yours is better, and vice versa) So this is something useless
"Or that my water management is enough"

yes, nice water manage
even if I agreed with the rest (which I'm not, but, as I said, we will not get anywhere) I definitely have to refute this. Literally the only thing I did was locate the water level, add some random marine life, and ... And just that. Besides, as you mentioned, that great obstacle of the mythological creature.
You clearly have skill,
With just 6 days of practice? There's no any art that can be learned in just one week.

Closing all, you are clearly better than I. Your managing of the sky and background is very realistic, much more than mine. But we will never agree. About the 50% 50%, obviously, like in all the art, just because so much of one can umbalance all.

Last edited:
Level 29
This is a really cool theme. I'm interested in seeing what y'all come up with. WIPs are looking great so far. :)

I'm curious, are fully underwater structures \ scenes allowed?

good question, since by definition the structure must be in the water, but from that there is all freedom

a structure under water is a water structure, so is allowed,
(the frontpage says it can be in the sea)

now is hard to pull a pure underwater enviroment, it would be interesting if someone does such bold attempt.

bluesub05.png

by the way are you interested in participate??

The situation is obvious. We both underestimate ourselves, so we will never agree (I think yours is better, and vice versa) So this is something useless

even if I agreed with the rest (which I'm not, but, as I said, we will not get anywhere) I definitely have to refute this. Literally the only thing I did was locate the water level, add some random marine life, and ... And just that. Besides, as you mentioned, that great obstacle of the mythological creature.

With just 6 days of practice? There's no any art that can be learned in just one week.

Closing all, you are clearly better than I. Your managing of the sky and background is very realistic, much more than mine. But we will never agree. About the 50% 50%, obviously, like in all the art, just because so much of one can umbalance all.

Your managing of the sky and background is very realistic

sky was just fogged sky, gray fog, and 1 cloud doodads with 50 rpg of the 3 colors (to reduce shinying), that wasnt to much work.

background, I just improvised with the naboo buildings, change the size a bit, if you see all my 10 wips you will see I improvise all the time (is not that I know what I am doing all the time), put something, remove it, put other thing,

Hey guys. I noticed that some of you are using hidden tags to show your works. While it is great showing what you're working on, please do consider using the /Upload a File(without using the hidden tags) feature of the site instead of using the hidden tags. They stretch the page way too much while browsing around.

Thank you and keep doing the magical stuff around :]

Last edited:
I'll be going with an underwater terrain. I'll post some WIPs in my free time not soon tho.

Good luck ya'll!
Hey guys. I noticed that some of you are using hidden tags to show your works. While it is great showing what you're working on, please do consider using the
Seemingly you did not finish your phrase. xD

Level 29
Hey guys. I noticed that some of you are using hidden tags to show your works. While it is great showing what you're working on, please do consider using the /Upload a File(without using the hidden tags) feature of the site instead of using the hidden tags. They stretch the page way too much while browsing around.

Thank you and keep doing the magical stuff around :]

I declare my self guilty of using hidden tags more than 10 times.

I'll be going with an underwater terrain. I'll post some WIPs in my free time not soon tho.

Good luck ya'll!

Seemingly you did not finish your phrase. xD

great to have you aboard, !!

added you to the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.