• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #22 - Dualism

Status
Not open for further replies.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
@Neruvatar

I experimented quickly and came up with this to show you what I mean. The fire is done with the SD red lava cracks, the SD fire model lowered into the ground with a low Z value, and orange glow models. The camera is zoomed out so the tiles fit the unit scaling better, and the fog helps push the narrative that everything is large.

Fingolfin's planet models you're using for the spheres have material blend modes that make them tricky to work with. I'd go for another model entirely, something that fades with the fog. If you can't find something that fits it perfectly, you can construct your own with standard doodads, e.g. the floating rock formation I did with the SD Dungeon rocks.

Attachments

• show.png
    show.png
    678.8 KB · Views: 154
Level 11
maybe reduce the spheres just a bit so you can have many, like 5 lines of souls like this

2414291032084baa8e9965b96a65daba.jpg

I liked the first version with 2 different lines of walking souls.

ligthinings effects and sky are much better now.

4 days, you can do it, keep it up!!!

I am not finished yet.... It's been too long I am away from Warcraft Editor. I lost all sense of it... I am trying to get my touch back on...

@Neruvatar

I experimented quickly and came up with this to show you what I mean. The fire is done with the SD red lava cracks, the SD fire model lowered into the ground with a low Z value, and orange glow models. The camera is zoomed out so the tiles fit the unit scaling better, and the fog helps push the narrative that everything is large.

Fingolfin's planet models you're using for the spheres have material blend modes that make them tricky to work with. I'd go for another model entirely, something that fades with the fog. If you can't find something that fits it perfectly, you can construct your own with standard doodads, e.g. the floating rock formation I did with the SD Dungeon rocks.

I have so much to learn and revise. Thanks! I am aware Fingolfin's planet models are tricky. All I want is some black spheres that has the look of aluminium ball, but hey, I just make do with whatever I have. I don't like the smoke coming out of the fire model. I improvise using another model in the Editor...

I have wanted to add in fog, because this landscape should be thick with blood and 'fire mist' and dust.

WIP 4:
I am sorry for posting so many WIPs...
full

Beyond Inferno
It a mist of sulfur, dust, blood vapour and fire, souls of the sinners march on to the Gateway to Beyond the Ridges. What world could lie beyond? A Hell of Hell? An eternal damnation? A cursed resurrection?

Here ya go.

I have (painfully) lifted up the camera view, grumbled about the non-metallic spheres I have, added more souls, creatures in the depth and.... my own blood (literally, my mouse button snapped on my index finger) If I haven't got any more time, this, sadly, will be my final result. So let's hope I have another WIP soon. *racing against the time*

Level 35
WIP 3 - added some details and changed ice crystals. Also changed lighting
View attachment 368124

I'm really digging that foreground work, lovely idea with the frozen tree-tops to emulate frozen grass and/or ice crystals. And the overall action in the terrain, which is a fresh breath, is kinda cool too. I wish there qas a better model you could use for Jaina, because like most unit models: It's not on par with the rest of the terrain.

Also, it is so wonderful to see this many entries for a terraining contest in this day and age.

Oh and fladdie, how about this name for your terrain:

"Bring the Fucking Silhouette Tree Back"

Has a nice ring to it, no? ;)

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I would maybe reduce the size of the fruit on the farther away tree, something about them sticks out and makes them look glued on rather than hanging naturally on it. I think it's because they don't play with the lighting/fog as well as the tree they're on?
Yeah, agreed.

"Bring the Fucking Silhouette Tree Back"
Yeah, alright.

For better or worse, this is my final now.

Faraday Gardens.

Good luck and merry easter.

Attachments

• Faraday Gardens.png
    Faraday Gardens.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 356
Level 7
Final entry
Valley of the Sharp Spires
Elements: Ice and Lightning

Ice-Lighting_finale.png

Resources:

Antonidas Statue (WoW Rip) - statue of Antonidas, WoW Rip by BardBord

Магна Эгвинн скачать - Модели из World of Warcraft - model of Magna Aegwynn (I believe that the original model is from some other site, Wc3Underground, if I'm not mistaken, but I can't find the site and the original author anymore)

Big Model Pack v1.1 - Big Model Pack / WarCraft 3 Reforged / Моддинг - XGM - Models of the tower parts are from the Big Model Pack by Reronage

Лёд - WarCraft 3 Reforged / Моддинг - XGM - models of ice, WoW Rip by Tassavadar

Деревья из лесов Хрустальной Песни (магические) - WarCraft 3 Reforged / Моддинг - XGM - model of the tree in the upper left corner, WoW Rip by Tassavadar

Магические эффекты 2 - Модели из World Of WarCraft / Моддинг / Моддинг - XGM - some effects of magic, WoW Rip by Tassavadar

Магические эффекты - Модели из World Of WarCraft / Моддинг / Моддинг - XGM - some effects of magic, WoW Rip by Tassavadar (edited textures are attached)

SC2 Alien Pack | HIVE - models of spires, stones and ground textures and are from the SC2 Alien Pack

Под снежным покровом - Модели из World Of WarCraft / Моддинг / Моддинг - XGM - models of trees and bushes, WoW Rip by Tassavadar

Земные узы - WarCraft 3 Reforged / Моддинг - XGM - I used the model for its beautiful cyan light

Fantasy Environment Skeletons - WarCraft 3 Reforged / Моддинг - XGM - the great pack of skeletons by Longbowman

Источники Света - WarCraft 3 Reforged / Моддинг - XGM - the pack of light emitters by ScorpioT1000

Modified and custom models are attached (in the archieve).

I'm not sure who is the author of the glow and cloud models, though I use them a few years.

I also attach the original map. It has a lot of unused models and textures, so the file size is big

Attachments

• Ice-Lighting.w3m
    67 MB · Views: 121
  • TheValleyOfTheSharpSpires_doodads.rar
    1.8 MB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Level 11
Final Entry (just edit a little on the fog)
I don't have time to do much. Teaching online is really tougher than face-to-face.
full

Beyond Inferno - Fire and Lightning
It a mist of sulfur, dust, blood vapour and fire, souls of the sinners march on to the Gateway to Beyond the Ridges. What world could lie beyond? A Hell of Hell? An eternal damnation? A cursed resurrection?

Resources:
Planet Hades - Fingolfin
Naked Engineer - Jhotam
Lightning multiple - Tranquil
Great lightning - Tranquil
Fog - UTM

Thanks to all those who provide constructive advice. I really appreciate them!

Last edited:

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

This is my final entry. I want this to be judged tomorrow. I didnt use any imports, only blizzard resources.
Elements: Nature and Frost
Frozen Spring
full

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.