• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Techtree Contest

What theme, and rules, would you like to see?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
we should have a rule that people cannot be allowed to make a model for the contest, only beable to download from the current resources on the hive?

wouldnt be too fair if they could make their own models.
Don't bother; I already tried that angle. :/

HFR said:
An good custom race need good custom resources and hive has a lot of them.
Not true. In fact, you should be able to make a cool race independant of custom resources. If you can, then it's even better with them added.

(However, I tend to agree; I love custom models and stuff. :p)

HFR

HFR

Level 22
An good custom race must have good spells, units, upgrades and balance. As you said, custom models are not necessary, but they give an more cooler looking to the race, like have an custom armored murloc instead of an red murloc...

Level 8
Can someone answer to my base map question? Almean how big should the base map be? 96x96? 128x128? and are you supposed to make one yourself or use one of the wc melee maps? Is there a certain map you must use to make your techtree out of?

Level 34
I'll post a standard map for everyone to use. Please be patient, I'll get this up on the weekend.

HFR

HFR

Level 22
Thats an good point. protected or open source.

Protected:

-Noobs can't steal the "relics"
-Nobody, except the maker can see the triggers, custom units, etc.

Open Source:

-Noobs (and anyone) can steal the precious made-only-for-this-map resources.
-Anyone (and noobs) can learn from the triggers and custom units and spells.

Level 34
That's what I'm starting to think hawk. No one should have told me about that contest. ;)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
You could have it at the same time... If you did Mini-races. That way, the 2 contests could be done concurrently, as the entries to Wc3C could be submitted to the Hive (no extra work).

But yeah, go ahead and do full-races. It shouldn't take that long of a wait... :p

Level 34
Meh, if WC3C is having one, I see no point in having this one. You few guys seem to be the only ones interested, and it sounds like you are all joining that one.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Actually, I disagree. I totally think the Hive should have this contest. (If only for comparison)

I would just submit that, due to the Wc3C contest, if you want many (if any) submissions, you should make it a mini-race contest, with rules at least similar to the Wc3C one (i.e. you can have full-imports, as each user can just make the "one-import" version for Wc3C, then import all these resources for the Hive version.)

Level 3
I agree and disagree same contest but no import rules, so it makes it harder for the mapper to change the stuff, therfore showing intiative in there abilties to modify

Level 24
Well, with imports allowed, you can find a model and make up a unit for it, as simple as that. Without imports, which means less options model-wise, it takes much more creativity to come up with a working techtree without using the same model for three units, obviously.
Anyways, I must say that no-imports wouldn't work well at all for a full techtree, which I didn't take into consideration when writing my previous post. No imports works better for mini-race.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
(Huh, there's no 24th page, though it says there is...)

Gilles said:
Making it similar would just make it more pointless.
Not really. If the point is to A: make a custom techtree (basically 1: new ideas, 2: building a sense of community and competition, 3: providing raw materials for others to use in their projects), then making a contest here does just that. = Point.
Yes, with rules similar to Wc3C, you will have many entrants who are "double-entering" (as it were), but you will also get some people who are Hive-only, and the feel will be different (no Schulze polls, for one).
I say it's worth a try.

Ghost765 said:
anyways, didnt u send kyrbi0 to get the techtree contest thingy going at wc3c gilles?
Lawl, are you kidding? After all the trouble it's caused him now? :p
No, I brought it up of my own accord (with some prompting, from a little birdie).

Level 18
Kyrbi0: That's probably because someone posted in the 24th page, but deleted it afterwards.

Anyway: I voted for Magic Based - No Restrictions. No Imports would lead to a lot of uncreative submissions and people submitting the same idea's, which is just ruining the contest. No File Size Limit either, because it would end up the same as No Imports.
Believe it or not, but I've been thinking of modelling a Magic Only race just a few days ago xD It would be nice to make them with a little contest motivation!

HFR

HFR

Level 22
I prefer an race with imports, whitout this, people will use several units with the same recolored model. And, the worst thing in an techtree contest: Use an unit with another model!! Like using an bandit as an dwarf, or an banshee as an sea witch (Blizzard made this, he he). So, I don't want to see these freaks in the contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.