• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Techtree contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
I talked to Ghan a little while ago about hosting this, and now I'm finally making a thread to get some theme suggestions.

First of all, the point of a techtree contest is to make a balanced "new race" for WC3 to play in melee games.

So essentially what I would like to see is a somewhat general theme, like Evil races, Elemental races etc.

Some suggestions:
- Corrupted race (satyrs, furbolgs, etc)
- Elemental
- Arcane (like beings made of magic, naaru, etc)
- High Elf

This may include:
Custom Models
Custom Icons
Custom Skins
Custom Spells
Custom Object Editor Work
Testing Map
Balance
Teamwork

I like the idea, but it shouldn´t be named "Techtree Contest".
I myself think it should be named "Warcraft Trial" since it will be a general remake of existing features.

The contest shouldn´t be hosted yet, there is a bunch of running and queueing contests.

Level 36
This may include:
Custom Models
Custom Icons
Custom Skins
Custom Spells
Custom Object Editor Work
Testing Map
Balance
Teamwork

I like the idea, but it shouldn´t be named "Techtree Contest".
I myself think it should be named "Warcraft Trial" since it will be a general remake of existing features.

The contest shouldn´t be hosted yet, there is a bunch of running and queueing contests.

The last two were called Techtree Contests, so I think I'm going to keep that name.

Level 15
i've been wanting to enter a tech tree contest ever since i saw it done in the past. Please, what ever you decide, please make it one that would involve making a draenei race.

my idea is outland races.

this will inclde:
-Draenei( I would be doing)
-broken draenei
-Blood elf
-fel orc
- and some others

I will have to make a draenei race adventually for my campaign so why not make it for a contest.

Level 9
This sounds cool (unlike the no import one last time)!

Outland theme is ok but not enough races in Outland, there would be arguments over who uses which race/model/icon et cetera...

Elemental theme is ok but there would be arguments about what fits the theme just like in modeling contest #10.

Corrupt theme has the same problem as Outland.

Arcane could be very good although many of these could fall under Elemental and cause arguments.

High elf is a single race... unless you mean for it to be like the texturing competition (NO!) then I don't think so, too restricted, plus high elf could fit in Corrupted.

Creeps seems to be very nice but I think there are too many races... then again never mind that comment. I like this theme.

Evil races... what is evil but an opinion? Honestly to Arthas/lich king the holy light are bad guys, in fact I would say the scourge are the least evil of all, think about it. humans are racist toward all but their allied races (gnomes night elves dranei et cetera) but will kill any orc on sight, (be he a friend or foe) just like every other race. But the scourge is not racist, after all, racism is special hate toward a single or group of race(s), and the scourge hates all races equally.
thus who would you make? Humans? certantly not the racially equal burning legion. maybe Night elves. and don't pull the "Arthas wants them dead" card because hey, they want Arthas dead too.

Level 15
Or how about a de-evolution theme. Where ppl would work in teams to make 2 races that 1 of those has been changed into a different race.

just some examples.

highborne-naga
Draenei-unbroken
orcs-fel orcs
high elves-blood elves
Night elf-satyr
murloc-murgul

or they could even create their own races.

Level 34
Well that would be a rather boring race. : (
I'm all for no imports, but I'd like to see custom spells.

Level 24
Well, they way I see it, races should be restricted to any of the races you can find under the neutral/creep units, that would include Magnataur's, Tuskarr, Zerg, Furbolgs and every other race. Something like a modern warfare race or so would not be accepted, though.
These is just my idea, however.

Level 15
I dont think there should be a no import rule. There are so few units for each race, that you would pretty much have to use the same model for like 2 or 3 different units. Like furbolgs for example only have like 4 different units. The race would suck if it only had 4 variations of units, just with different size, color and stuff like that. Importing recources is mainly to increase the amount of variations of units that a race can have. So i think that this contest should allow imported material. Races would look alot cooler.

Would the broken draenei be counted as a creep race?

Level 24
The broken draenei wouln't be one, since there are no units in wc3 that are broken draenei.
The Lost ones, however, would work as a race.
About the zerg: there are zerg creeps, so I guess it could work, but lack of models etc. would probably stop anyone from attempting a Zerg techtree anyways.

Level 15
Sry i meant to say lost ones. So if we are doing creeps then i want to do lost ones.

Creeps in my opinion would basically be any race that is not in one of the original four races. so dwarves would probably not be couted as creeps. But maybe if you make like wild hammer dwarves you might get away with calling them creeps. ( im just a noob so im probably wrong, but that is my opinion, lol)

Well that would be a rather boring race. : (
I'm all for no imports, but I'd like to see custom spells.

I would definitely love to see no imports.
The theme should be something not to limited, my idea would be Creep Race, such as ogres, trolls, goblins or so.

And then we get bunch of unanimated buildings for those races. :/

Level 34
I think imports are necessary, but a map filesize limit should also be made. Something like 1MB maximum.

Gilles, can you add a theme poll? I want to get this contest started as soon as possible... we need a non-artistic contest for once.
What about a Battle.Net contest? It might be hard to arrange, but it's worth a shot.

Not sure I can add polls, and what themes?

Level 36
No to no imports. As I said before, it will be a 1MB maximum file size limit. That allows for only a few imported models. As for theme, I'm going to say our best bet is to make a Fantasy/Medieval race, and anyone who makes something silly like WoW Draenei can get a low score on the concept section.

Level 15
Well if youre doing a 1 mb limit then wow draenei would be impossible to do anyways and still make it decent. And what is so wrong with wow draenei. Unlike you, alot of ppl on the hive actually like that race. just because you dont like it doesnt mean that you shouldnt give them a fair chance to make a draenei race. It is warcraft related atleast. But definatly dont allow zerg.

I do like the theme though.

Level 34
What does it take, 10 minutes? :p
No really, you represent the THW's staff, you have the right to be lazy.
10 minutes that I don't have.
We tend to be a lazy staff, yes. It's not good.
I'll make it now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.