• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #6 - No Imports!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Race: Dragons

I'll let you explore the race.

NEEDED: select human race!

Attachments

• Techtree Contest 6 - WerePhoenix.w3x
    253.6 KB · Views: 53
Level 25
My entry, as finished as i could get it.

To play vs enemy simply open the map in JNGP and hit "Test Map". I didn't have time to implement custom Victory/Defeat conditions nor a race selection system, so please test it as i said just now.

I tested it in custom games, worked also with all players...

Attachments

• (8)PlainsOfSnow - Kingz FINAL.w3x
    352.9 KB · Views: 54
Level 14
Fire Nation

This is what i have, the mighty Fire Nation.

Use Player 1 and Player 2 as Fire race - i haven't made a nice spawn trigger :(

Description:
  • Difficulty: Easy :) - Edit: Let it be Hard becouse of the lumber losing.
    Units are strong, the weakness of the race is that units lose HP if you run out of lumber.
    Units are able to revive after death by a Replicator, or Sparkle​
  • Units:
    1. Volcano:
      -Sparkle: Basic worker, can harvest gold, can build Lumber Harvester building (Forestfire controllpoint) and others.
      -Deathwing: Ultimate Unit, it can be summoned in the Volcano Temple.
    2. Hellfire Portal:
      -Burning Warrior: Basic Melee, upgradeable cleaving attack
      -Burning Archer: Basic Ranged, massable.
      -Lava Heavy: Advanced melee, stronger.
      -Lava Turtle: Siege Unit, with high HP
    3. Nest of Flames:
      -Phoneix: Vurnerable air unit, massable
      -Lava Spawn: Best Antiair, upgradeable Multishot.
      -Fire Dragon: Strong air, only attack ground units
    4. Pool of Ancient Fire:
      -Fire Mage: Cursed Weapons; Brazier(Heat aura), Unholy Brazier (Damage ward)
      -Lava Spawn Replicator: Helper Soul (Air buff), Replication, Reburn (Revive dead fire units)
  • Heroes:

icon.gif
    Wildfire
    Primary attribute: Agility
    Fast hero with high damage and offensive abilities.

S7Gp5.png
    Keeper of the Eternal Fire
    Primary attribute Strength
    Supportive hero, can revive and has heat aura.

firelord.jpg
    Firelord
    Primary attribute Agility
    Standard Firelord from blizzard - didnt have time :'(
  • Lumber Harvesting:
    There is a lumber harvesting structure. With it's ability, you start a Forestfire, what expands near to the controller structure. Harvest is automatic, but you may start multiplate forestfires to get more lumber. Units drain lumber every second, if you run out of lumber, troops will lose life.​
  • Heat Aura:
    For Fire troops, its all about heat. If they don't get enough heat, they will burn out. After you run out of lumber, only heat aura can prevent your units from losing hp. Also, if you stay under the effect of heat with your units, you will lose less lumber than when you are at combat.​

Screenshots HERE.
Please don't edit the map - especially don't save -> you wont be able to play it again.
Something went wrong, reuploaded after deadline here.

Attachments

• (8)PlainsOfSnow - kari0003v2.w3x
    396.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Level 18
I really need an extention of the due date, this is my second contest (first serious one, and I am at the brink of doing something good or showing right now a piece of garbish.
I know that the time is finished, but with 3 or 4 more hours I could finish the mechanic of my race. (Currently due to an error, my race remains unplayable).

I ask to be allowed to do my submition by mid night. (Central America Time= 5 more hours).

Last edited:
Level 7
Final Submission

Ace
Wingmen, calls in two wingmen(ie other planes) to guard his back
Bombing Run, Bombs the target aerea dealing massive damage
Evasion, gives an evasion chance
FancyFlying, increases move and attack speed
Scientist
Plant Charge, Plants an explosive charge on the target unit(ability based off of a spell created by NFWar)
Analyze, Drastically reduces a target units armor
Mind OverMatter,gives mana regeneration at the cost of health
Plague, unleashes a biological weapon that knows no friend

Gnome, your worker, a minion of incredibly small size capable of building structures and harvesting wood.

Gunner, Light infantry armed with a repeating weapon(it fires bursts of 5 shots followed with a 2 second wait)

BattleSuit, Medium melee capable of taking quite a bit of damage, benefits from an upgrade called the Lazerus Protocol

Steam Tank, Heavy assault tank of the Gnomish Confederacy, has a turret that can switch from launching shells to launching Drones(stolen from SGAtlantis)

Gunship Heavy Air Assault Vehicle, capable of flattening structures in seconds, has three turrets, two heavy machine Guns and a bombay, the bombay can switch to launching drones.

Gyrocopter Air superiority fighter, that is always on the move.

FRV, one of the races "spellcasters" can transport ground units, and has three abilities
Repair Drone, creates a little bot that flies around repairing things at a small charge to you.
Weaponized drones, creates a little bot that flies around killing things for you.
Evac, picks up the FRV in a airship, and transports it and everything inside of it to a target unit or structure.

Gnome Engineer another "spellcaster", excels at supporting ground forces
Smoke Grenade creates a smoke cloud that inhibits sight and makes units inside invisible
ShieldGenerator, gives nearby units bonus armor
Lay Mines, creates a field of jumping mines

upgrade you're main base as soon as possible, this will enable you to mine twice as fast, all bases have Mining Lasers.

when fighting gnomes, kill Broken Battlesuits, or they will come back to haunt you if you have a lot of air units do not engage the enemy gyrocopters lightly they will fly circles around you have detectors, they will probably lay mines all over.

The Gnomish Confederacy does not have AI support.

Sadly all of the building are targeted as structures for balance issues(think demolishers, siege engines, etc..) so melee units can attack the flying structures.

Edit: removed Useful tips

who wants to combine all the races onto one map? I volunteer to copy my race onto any entry chosen as the "base".

Edit: updated map

Edit2:fixed a mining laser bug(thanks to overcold for pointing it out),
fixed some tooltips,
increased cost of steam tanks

Attachments

• Techtree #6Entry_Ender_GnomishConfed.w3x
    354.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Techtree #6Entry_Ender_GnomishConfedV2.w3x
    354.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Techtree #6Entry_Ender_GnomishConfedV3.w3x
    354.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
oh shii i didn't read the rules properly. hope this still gets accepted even tho its 2 hours late.

EDIT: Crap theres a bug that leaves newly constructed Workshops unable to sell units. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to update anymore... if not, then pharoah may just accept my first attached submission.

Final submission post here

Attachments

• Techtree6-Ghostie.w3x
    333.2 KB · Views: 109
  • Techtree6-Ghostie v2.w3x
    334.9 KB · Views: 278
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 4
Finish

Race : Dragons

Buildings:
->Captured Base: main structure
->Pig Farm: provides food
->Evolution Chamber: basic armor and weapon upgrades
->Sacreficing Altar: creates hero(es)
->Boneyard: ability upgrades for units
-> 5 kind of Nest: mid and late game unit production
->Merchant: sells items

Units:
->Enslaved Orc: Basic Worker have the ability to become armed
->Armed Peon: Basic unit
->3 kind of Dragonspawn + 2 kind of Baby Dragon: ground units
->5 kind of Dragons: air units; each have it's specific role
->Faerie Dragon: hero
->Dead Dragon: hero

Cons + Pros:
->Based on player type

Recommended/Needed:
->select Human race
->1 freindly bot
->1.24 patch?

Map: [post]2127675[/post]

PS: the ^ linked posts was the finel, but forgot to mansion
PS2: Sorry for the grammatical mistakes. I'm still learning (just started) English

Last edited:
Level 18
At last, I return home.
At some point of last night I fell asleep on the keyboard. Today I had to go to work. (Research assistant, while on vacations, nice profesor mine dont you think :thumbs_down:)

Well I am doing the last details now for my race, many things are missing, also like half of the ideas were not developed (so they were removed for stability). The thing is that is now playable....

Level 18
My entry - Blood Elf Alliance

Forgiveme for the doble post, but I think that in this case it has a point.
I will be really thankfull if you could evaluate my Custom Race, regardles of the contest final position, I would appreciate to have feedback in all the areas of mapmaking (Ideas, Triggers, Visual Effects, Balance, etc)

Blood Elf Alliance

(I will edit this later, and add a proper description)

Main mechanics:
-Experience, some units and buildings earn experience in fights, and also little amounts of experience over time when a Trainer is nearby. Uppon getting enought experience a unit is level up, upgrading its characteristics, and even unlocking new ones.

-City Buildings, all buildings spawn every certain time Houses and Basic Towers arround them while they are under the cap of these units. This is the only way to increase the food you produce (and by upgrading houses), and also the only way to get defensive towers.

Highlights:
-The ablity "Target System" from the Steam Tank hero, and from a couple of high levels abilities will cause that most of your units and buildings use an extra attack to damage that unit for the duration of the buff. (You got a purple time counter over the unit to see that). Casted in your base will literally make arrows and magic rain over the target.

I will edit this post later, adding screan shots and proper ogranization of the post.
EDIT final submision uploaded. Just do some minor fixing (add townhall to builder unit list, and so minor stuff).

Attachments

• (8)PlainsOfSnow_AstarothZion_Entry_2.0.w3x
    369.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Level 14
overcold, watch it from the better side: Noone could create a perfect / cool balanced race, becouse of the deadline. Your entry is i think the one with the most creativity in it. And the effects are very nice. You should get many points from the judges ^^

Level 7
@ghostthruster, i think you have a cool race, gotta love sappers!
@overcold i think the power generating is pretty cool, but your race isn't fun to play(i have never managed to survive the first rush, or manage to get any units.)

anyone tried my race, the Gnomish Confederacy?

Level 14
Fire Nation - Screenshots

Thought i should make some screenshots for lazy guys :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 499
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 490
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 545
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 508
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 499
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 466
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 482
Level 7
i should work again :D
i'll add some limit/reduction to allied resource sharing (only for the race)
and conversion, if the race got resource from the other . . (100 lumber? lol, this race needs 1000)
i think the factor is 2 : 1, will this suffice?

edit:
poor warcraft . . . there aren't any events that detect this thing @.@
oh god . . . .

Last edited:
Level 7
Comments

Gnomish Confideracy - Ender:
- [BUG] Gold harvesting can stacks on each cast
- Nice concept
- Imbalanced unit scaling (unit size)
- Bad tooltips
- Bad UI, mainly on buildings

The Ents - Xiliger:
- Classic style, but with awesome uniqueness
- Structures' build time and pathing looks not really good
- Good tooltips, but with some misspelling
- Research and Upgrades looks so plain, and a bit ugly
- Each units/buildings have some abilities
- There are 3 heroes
- Awesome!!!

Blood Elf Alliance - Astaroth Zion:
- Micro-ed buildings, macro-ed units, making this race looks weird (seeing the building sooooo small, but with big units)
- Good tooltips, few misspelling
- Pretty good concept, need some more improvements in unit order and selection handling though
- Three goods, 1 for buildings, another 1 for units, and 1 more for you hero!

Goblins - GhostThruster:
- I don't know what to say D:
- I don't feel so nice playing with this race (sorry)

Fire Nation - kari0003:
- Imbalanced resource harvesting (the lumber is too slow)
- Great!!!

Demons - Kingz:
- Good use of big ground textures!
- Somewhat lacks in lumber or soul, but harvests gold too fast
- Good techtree concept (those 3 cults)

Dragons - WerePhoenix:
- Somewhat too classic, need some more uniqueness aside from those dragons
- Lacks in heroes

edit: i have updated my post :D
added screenshot + another map update

Last edited:
I don't get it :/ Explain how it doesn't suit you. eg. too micro-intesive, lack of units, wierd bases

Are you saying that the playstyle is bad or you are bad with the playstyle?
I'd just like some actual feedback, considering you gave the other entries just that and you gave me 'i dont know what to say D:'

EDIT: @Wazzz: Darn, should've done this one for the innovation contest. Would've raped your techtree at least (which by the way I rigged the results for you because I felt sorry for you) What do you think about the balance tho :?

Level 16
I think we had more entries than last time, which is sweeeeet. I'm waiting for Mr. Pharaoh to officially close the thread before testing the entries, since some of you guys submitted two maps, and I CBA to test both versions. :wink:

I am looking forward to be amazed by the crap submissions. By the descriptions of some of the races it looks like there are a lot of innovation and re-inventing, I hope I'm not dissapointed at the end!

Level 5
@Wraithling im pretty sure mine will disappoint :p

im no good with jass/advanced triggers, so i essentally just made a regular old race.

Level 16
@part207: Don't worry about the triggering part too much :p In the past I've seen some amazing races in the contest that used only minimal triggers, although they did have an idea that was either truly unique or well-balanced. So I'm looking forward to see how your race (and everyone's) play out.

Level 35
I don't get it :/ Explain how it doesn't suit you. eg. too micro-intesive, lack of units, wierd bases

Are you saying that the playstyle is bad or you are bad with the playstyle?
I'd just like some actual feedback, considering you gave the other entries just that and you gave me 'i dont know what to say D:'

EDIT: @Wazzz: Darn, should've done this one for the innovation contest. Would've raped your techtree at least (which by the way I rigged the results for you because I felt sorry for you) What do you think about the balance tho :?

it's more so things like your starting unit is a hero, you have to constantly generate workers just to get a basic income for lumber, it is very difficult to place the market place, the engineer acts as a hero, that sort of thing.

these basic elements have a very hard time functioning in the melee gameplay

i had to change my necromancer in my submition, for example, from being a hero unit to just being a regular unit, primarily because of the way heroes work in the melee game

Level 7
it's more so things like your starting unit is a hero, you have to constantly generate workers just to get a basic income for lumber, it is very difficult to place the market place, the engineer acts as a hero, that sort of thing.

these basic elements have a very hard time functioning in the melee gameplay

i had to change my necromancer in my submition, for example, from being a hero unit to just being a regular unit, primarily because of the way heroes work in the melee game

agreed!
how i couldn't say that :3

Status
Not open for further replies.