• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #6 - No Imports!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Yea..I'm out...cant do anything, not with this time, not with zero resources to work with...I just cant tie up anything that resembles a race without relying too hard on the core ones...

Level 7
I am joining this contest,
Here is a wip of my entry, "The Gnomish Confederacy"

they will feature, flying buildings, turreted tanks and much more.

after the Carnage of the 2nd war the Gnomes decided that the ground was to dangerous for creatures of their minuscule size, so using their vast intellect they built flying cities.
They haven't been involved in much of the goings on since they left the ground. But recently they have become more prominent and strangely they seem intent on wiping out the Orc civilization...

Edit: can we import hero glow? its just for making non hero, hero units look hero-ish, I don't think i can, 'cause no imports means no imports, but incase you feel like adding another exception, it would make all non here based hero units look better.

Attachments

• (8)PlainsOfSnow.w3x
    261.2 KB · Views: 47
Level 9
i see so far the theme has made it difficult for those who rely on imports to create anything 'note worthy' :3

AND it has so far brought out some pretty creative WIPs ^^

Creative-yes
Unique looking-not so much.

Seriusly, every third unit idea I get is shot down because I lack any model that in any way resembles something that might fit for the role, others are shot down because the only thing I DO have to use, is already in use anyway. and repeating a model sucks...

Level 7
another 3 days constestant :3

hope i can do this fast . . .

edit:
how i implement the race in the map?
(by placing the unit at the map directly for player 1, and fix player 1's start position)
(some init for player 1)
(something else?)

Last edited:
Level 7
here's a screenshot for the basic buildings

attachment.php

Attachments

• contestscreenshot.png
    contestscreenshot.png
    452.8 KB · Views: 203
Level 15
Here is my WIP1:
MERCENARIES

112353d1332857685-techtree-contest-6-no-imports-techtree_1.jpg

And so we have:
Headquarters: No building tier upgrade - instead a 3-lvl research.
Tent: Primary unit production facility.
Altar of Profit: Altar. [Forgot to add on the pic, will add in next screen]
Market: Tier upgrade facility. Also exchanges resources and serves as a lumber drop point.
Ballista tower : Defensive building, can be upgraded to Advanced Ballista tower, which fires at 2 enemies simultaneously.
Golden Vault: Shop building.
Camp: Advanced unit production facility.
Tower of Sorcery: Caster production/upgrade facility.
Dragon Rock: Ultimate building, produces and upgrades mighty dragons.

Attachments

• techtree_1.JPG
    techtree_1.JPG
    239.4 KB · Views: 194
Level 14
So Im not gonna finish this till the deadline, but i wanted to share my idea with you. Also i will post wips, for a case of a miracle.

So here is the main idea: Fire nation with a Big PimpAble Volcano, lava spawns, and fire monsters. Units are strong, but because of the cold whether, they lose hp. When they die,they turn into a reviveable ash unit.
attachment.php

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Edit
Alright, first wip finished, sorry for the double post. This is how a main Fire base will look like.
attachment.php

Suggestions and feedback are appreciated :ogre_haosis:

Attachments

• Ttwip1.JPG
    Ttwip1.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 214
  • Ttwip2.JPG
    Ttwip2.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Level 19
So Im not gonna finish this till the deadline, but i wanted to share my idea with you. Also i will post wips, for a case of a miracle.

So here is the main idea: Fire nation with a Big PimpAble Volcano, lava spawns, and fire monsters. Units are strong, but because of the cold whether, they lose hp. When they die,they turn into a reviveable ash unit.
attachment.php

Edit
Alright, first wip finished, sorry for the double post. This is how a main Fire base will look like.
attachment.php

Aargh! A fire themed race was what I had in mind.
Well, back to the drawing board. :(

Level 9

attachment.php

Edit
attachment.php

While the concept seems pretty nice, I would suggest NOT to have it "lose life because of cold weather" as the race is not meant to be map-specific, just fluff it as "they burn out", phoenix style...

And whats rong with plain red dragons?

EDIT: no, I was wrong. teamcolor heroglow still works, just not with the sphere ability...

Last edited:
Level 15
My idea is the simbiote, a big huge organic entity which creates appendixes which can train units according on how they evolve. The "town hall" doesn't have tiers, as more appendixes the simbiote has, the more strength and defense the core will have.

Killing a appendix weaks the simbiote core and any child of it will die too.

There will be 4 types of units: a melee land unit, a ranged land unit, a siege land unit and a flying unit. they will have upgrades which give them abilities, more than usual from the standard melee races. These upgrades will be slower than normal units in order to make them balanced.

Level 9
Well, its beginning to shape up (my work it is)

I managed to put up some sort of odd 3-tier building with multiple models, but tier 2 and 3 are way too similar, need to think of ways to spice it up.

Also, two of the heroes are halfway done ("The Faceless" and "Hunter"), and some of the units are too...(that is, the "Indoctrinated", the lumber gatherer, and his 3 evolutions: "Devourer", advance lumber gatherer and actual combat worthy, "Tosser", a siege-style temporary unit (timed life) and "Strider", a fast-moving hard-hitting unit)

EDIT:
Hero 3 ("Skrimmer") is also close to finish, and I am quite proud of what I thought to use his model...its quite odd, but amusing...

And the "Hunter" now has the most snowballing ultimate in the history of warcraft. because while its not very strong, it IS abit spammable, and If you manage to get kills with it, it just gets worse really quick... (a single level 6 hunter should be capable of taking down a player alone if they don't set up proper defenses against him...and get away with it! on the balancing side-you can counter it's snowball effect, if you keep tabs on it.)

Last edited:
Level 9
Im about to finish the "Burn Out" system. However I still have a huge work in front of me. I will upload a Wip, when the 3tier Volcano is ready :))

Might be a bit of trolling, but won't it be easier to simply...give them negative HP regeneration?

Level 14
Might be a bit of trolling, but won't it be easier to simply...give them negative HP regeneration?

Right, but that way Auras like unholy aura and other regen bonus auras would give bad effect. Or correct me if im wrong :p.
This way you can decrease the amount of loosed HP with life regeneration increase. Also i wanted to prevent ashes from move, this way i can set the animation speed to 0% which is a necessary effect imo...

The only question left behind for me: How should other races behave with these ash units? Maybe Ashes should be invurnerable, and they get an expiriation timer or they have little hp, and they can get killed easy, after the battles? Also It would be good if UD could use them as cropses ^^

One more thing you should know; an unit only turns to ash, if it burns out. If it get killed by other units, it simply dies. (Maybe i should turn out decay to be fair)

Level 9
As far I understand it you need to maintain the playability of the original races...so you can't mess with globals like how harvesting works from the firstplace, but you CAN give them different resources types of gathering methods...

Keep in mind that if you forgo/change the gold and lumber however, balance would be difficult to achieve...

You can't change default abilities, such as Harvesting, but you can create custom ones and edit them, otherwise the enemy/allied races won't follow the AI script correctly.

The thing about this contest is the race's concept, we can't give up on our ideas, just because Warcraft 3 fails to own a mechanism that allows us to build a completely custom race. Just don't mess with features used by the default races.

Status
Not open for further replies.