• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #6 - No Imports!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
please answer these:
1. Can the race have no heroes, and no trained units (summoned unit only, like my race)?
2. Deadline is 3rd April 00.00.00 GMT or 3rd April 23.59.59 GMT?

Level 25
moyackx said:
It's mandatory to develop 4 heroes for the race? could it be only one?

pharaoh_ said:
Would that make your race balanced? If one of them dies, who will replace him?

pharaoh_ said:
Dionesiist, if AI comes with 3 heroes and their units and you have 1 and several units, the only way to win the fight is either if your hero has great aoe protection and general stat increase aura or if your non-hero units possess abilities with high crowd control. Both cases are imbalanced.

pharaoh_ said:
The heroes' number is not there just for an easy fight. A player should have options as to what kind of hero to pick. One hero cannot combine all attributes together, each one of them should have a particular role.

pharaoh_ said:
I'm mentioning these details, in order to prevent you guys from losing points, when your entry will be reviewed. Feel free to create as many heroes as you like, just know that there will be a scaled penalty the less balanced the race is.

Just pointing this out.

Level 5
Here are those WIPs i was talking about. give me some feedback :)

Attachments

• Techtree.png
    Techtree.png
    930.3 KB · Views: 140
  • actionshot1.png
    actionshot1.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 147
  • actionshot2.png
    actionshot2.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 133
  • (8)PlainsOfSnow-[Techtree Contest Six]-[Part207].w3x
    244.3 KB · Views: 318
Level 5
'ace' doesnt sound very gnomey, go with something like 'Gizzet Spazrocket" or 'Edrik the Ill Advised'. even though im against you from a competitive standpoint i do like your idea and wish you the best.

ps: you can use those names, no credit required

Last edited:
Level 7
my next WIP,
balanced, optimized, bug-free !!!

play this race wrong, feel your enemies kick!

another description:

Race Difficulty: Hard - Nightmare (HAHAHA!!!)
Pros: Strong late game
Cons: Extremely, awesomely, too weak early game

Attachments

• Techtree_Contest_6_-_overcold_ice.w3x
    182 bytes · Views: 49
Done everything except a hero spell and items.

@overcold_ice: A race should not be 'too weak' early game. That just encourages bumrushes when playing against your race (ofc, you are allowed to make them weak, just not 'too weak'). As for 'strong late game', well, that's pretty much every race.

EDIT: also your map won't open for me.

Level 7
i figured out that it isn't that really weak . . .
the main building is a tower,
but the gold harvesters are weak (probably in early game only),
they have 1 HP early game (and maybe late game too, due some reasons)
have you played the map ?

edit: i set the minimum HP to 100

edit: another more balanced map
hope you can open this one :D
and this requires patch 2.4+ (or 2.6a maybe, coz i use 2.6a)

Attachments

• Techtree_Contest_6_-_overcold_ice.w3x
    183 bytes · Views: 61
Level 14
Great news!

Although I wont have time to fix all the bugs :S

Edit: How to prevent the player from having 2 of the same hero? (I declared the custom heroes in gameplay constants, and The Limit Heroes to 1 per Hero-Type function is called at Map Init.) Still have the bug.. :/

How advanced the Spawn trigger have to be? I dont have time to take care of a nice Create start units system :'(

Level 25
Kari the melee limit 1 per hero type works only for existing heroes. You need to call a function for every hero and set your custom hero training cap at 1.
  • For each (Integer A) from 1 to (Number of players in (All players)), do (Actions)
    • Loop - Actions
      • Player - Limit training of Archmage to 1 for (Player((Integer A)))
For example.

Also posted a WIP of the race, hf.
Only the Corruptor Hero is finished, so i suggest playing with Corruptor cult.

Have some tweaks to do still, just have fun with the demons skillset/unique gameplay.

Attachments

• (8)PlainsOfSnow - Kingz WIP.w3x
    310.6 KB · Views: 52
Level 5
I've played your wip. To be honest, I personally think you've got a lotta work left. Maybe make a quick how to on your race. I was just sitting waiting for gold for a majority of the time.

Level 14
Yeah me too :O The idea is really good, i love it, and the animations are just great, but i didnt know what should i do ;) I built like 3-4 of the first building, and waited for mana, then blue killed me :$

Heh so much bugs and needs with my race. I dont even have time to make wips ;)
Maybe ill skip school tomorrow :]

Level 18
Also posted a WIP of the race, hf.
Only the Corruptor Hero is finished, so i suggest playing with Corruptor cult.

Have some tweaks to do still, just have fun with the demons skillset/unique gameplay.

I have played a couple of times, but I get whooped every time.
so a couple things I could suggest.

-Souls gather too slowly, (even I offer tons of builders).
-5 start only builders, they could be less.
-Defensive healing building: (I am not against not having a building das does damage, but this building is just too big. Its hard to place more than 2 in a base and not get stuck.
-If posible add hotkeys, and speacially I suggest to add a hotkey for the Consume Demon ability.

Well I'll be back at my race. I only got 1 hero finished :S....

Level 7
I've played your wip. To be honest, I personally think you've got a lotta work left. Maybe make a quick how to on your race. I was just sitting waiting for gold for a majority of the time.

Yeah me too :O The idea is really good, i love it, and the animations are just great, but i didnt know what should i do ;) I built like 3-4 of the first building, and waited for mana, then blue killed me :$

Heh so much bugs and needs with my race. I dont even have time to make wips ;)
Maybe ill skip school tomorrow :]

see, you can't play my race :p
i usually must stay clicking things when playing that . . .
because its gold harvesting is auto, but its lumber harvesting . . . sucks (>,<)
and what that race really hate is . . . searching another gold mine to drain golds from it . . . . (though this can be fast, but this is a dangerous thing)

i'm going to finish this fast!! only 2 buildings left :D

techtree.png
contest.png
number.png
6.png

Submission Name: Techtree Contest 6 - Ghostie's Goblins
Author: GhostThruster/GhosT/Ghostie

Additional Comments:
The goblins of Warcraft have always been more interested in gold than involving themselves in any kind of conflict. Thus, my race is too. They are incredibly efficient at gathering and conserving resources; from lumbering iron golems to deforest patches of trees in seconds to merchants that can steal gold off enemy structures. The suggested playstyle of this race is bumrushing. Yes, bumrushing. The fast pace encourages fast strategies, however turtling or teching up is also a viable option due to the quick resource gathering. You will rarely have a standing army of more than 15 units.

• The most unique aspect would be the 'base' setup of this race; the hero is the troop production, the town hall is for lumber and machinery, and the lumber mill is for gold and trading. At the beginning of the game, your hero can place down one free gold structure and gold gatherer.
  • Your hero is crucial to your army. I have designed him to be a moving barracks, able to combat units on the spot. His abilities either help in unit production or increase his versatility. He is very crucial, so I have implemented a system to lessen the impact of him being out of action. You have a minute to choose to revive him on the spot; however it is rather costly to do so and he revives with half hp and no mana. He only has three hero abilities, but they all reach a maximum of level 4.
  • Your main unit, which is hired by your hero, is almost as important as the hero himself. This unit is a semi-hero; he can use items, he levels up (to level 3 maximum), and he has three hero abilities that reach a max level of 2. He is used to operate machines.
  • Machines are very powerful and useful units. They only function fully by loading one main unit inside. They may be considered tier 2-3 units.
  • And instead of teching up your town hall, you have technological levels, which can be increased by building a certain structure. The higher your tech level, the more units and abilities are available. Max tech level is 3.

--Workshop - town hall building. Sells (like Mercenary Camps) Workers and machines. Receives lumber.
--Marketplace - shop and trade building. Trains Merchant Wagons. Sells items, revives your hero, and receives gold.
Items sold are: Robometamorphosis, which adds mechanical classification to your hero, Cloaking Device, which turns a mechanical unit invisible, Potion of Health, Potion of Mana, Scroll of TP, Cybernetic Upgrade, which adds +4 to all stats
--Research Lab - tech building. Increases tech level by 1. Has three upgrades; Great Ingenuity (increases magic capabilities of Engineers and your hero), Crude Fortifications (increases armour of structures), and Reinforced Armor (increases hit points of all machines).
--House - food production. Gains the Detonate ability at tech level 1, which destroys the building and deals 200 damage to nearby units.

--Goblin Trade Prince - central unit to your whole techtree. Hires Sappers and Engineers. Can be revived instantly at position of death with Buyback, or normally from a marketplace. Abilities (~ marks the hero abilities):
  • Place Marketplace - places a Marketplace and a Merchant Wagon at a target location. Once only.
  • Hire Engineer - summons an Engineer at a target location. Costs resources and mana.
  • Hire Sapper - summons a Sapper at a target location. Costs resources and mana.
  • ~Combat Training - allows the Trade Prince to attack. Also toggles between stat bonuses and bonus effects (strength gives AoE attack and slows attack target, agility gives speed bonus on attacks, intelligence gives mana gain and steal on attacks)
  • ~Summon Vendor - summons a temporary shop at a target location. Items sold improve as you level up the ability.
  • ~Mercantile - reduces cost and cooldown of hiring Engineers and Sappers. You also gain mana from selling items, and Buyback is cheaper.
--Engineer - main unit. Hired by the Trade Prince. Can be loaded into machines to make them fully functional. When piloting a machine, the machine will regenerate hit points. Is a semi-hero, can carry 2 items and use them, and has hero abilities:
  • ~Makeshift Repairs - instantly heals a target mechanical unit, but slows it down for a few seconds.
  • ~Spying Device - grants vision of a target unit. Level 2 reduces armor as well.
  • ~Land Mine - lays a land mine at a target location. The land mine detonates when an enemy steps over it, and it will deal damage and slow them.
--Sapper - main combat unit. Hired by the Trade Prince. Has Kaboom!, which does what it says basically. Good against melee units.
--Worker - builds structures, harvests lumber, and Repairs. Has a temporary life span, and learns the Explosive Shrapnel ability at tech level 1. Explosive Shrapnel deals damage to enemy units upon expiry of the Worker.
--Merchant Wagon - gold harvester. Delivers 15 gold every trip. Has the Steal ability, which targets an enemy structure, disables it, and steals gold off the owner of the target and gives it to you.
--Shredder - heavy attack machine. Has a powerful melee attack, and can harvest trees very effectively, with an Engineer loaded inside.
--Scorpion - anti-air and artillery machine. Has a fast anti-air attack. Can launch a Sapper at a target enemy structure, dealing heavy damage to it. Learns the Air Net ability at tech level 3, which is basically a single-cast Web. Requires a loaded Engineer to attack, and attacks air units only.
--Zeppelin - air transport and scout machine. Has the Load and Unload abilities, to transport a maximum of 6 units. Also has Scanner Sweep, which reveals an area of the map, and Kamikaze!, an airborne Kaboom!. Requires a loaded Engineer to use any abilities. Note: a piloting Engineer does not take up cargo space.

Useful strategies
--Sapper rush. Build lots of Sappers, and send them to kingdom come!
--Merchant Wagon rush. Take your hero to enemy base, place down your Marketplace and Merchant Wagon, steal gold, make sappers, bingo.
--Bombard. Your hero can summon Sappers on the spot; summon them behind enemy lines and let them do their job! Note: Kaboom! is not auto-cast upon summon, but its hotkey is A, so players should be able to quickly kaboom them.
--TRANSFORMA! Robometamorphosis is very useful; by turning a unit into a mechanical, it prevents most enemy spells, and it allows you to cast spells such as 'Makeshift Repairs' on your hero and Engineers. It can also be used in conjunction with Cloaking Device.
--Baneling Drop. Yes. Once you reach Tech level 3, you gain access to Zeppelins. Load Zeppelins with Sappers, and drop them off at enemy bases for a truly explosive result.
--Cloaking. Combine Cloaking Device with any of the above, and you get powerful stealth attacks.
-Makeshift defenses. Whilst you may think the goblins are weak in defense because they lack towers, you are wrong. Sappers may be used defensively, to block passages. Engineers can lay down Land Mines in choke points, and be loaded into Zeppelins and Shredders for safety. Cloaking can be used on structures, to perhaps buy time or hide expansions.
--Kaboom! can be cast at a location. So, if you see a shadowmelding noob night elf, Kaboom! her!

Strategies to counter:
--Scout. And respond correctly. Sappers fall victim easily to ranged units, and the hero is not too much to worry about if you construct a few defenses. Detection will prevent cloaking and let you see land mines. PoM for NE might finally be useful :D.
--Turtle. If you can get three heroes, you will be able to cripple the Trade Prince. You should always set up towers, in case a Zeppelin wants to come by. You can also go Sc2 style and wall-in to prevent Sapper rushes.
--Aerial units. If you see that the Goblin player lacks Scorpions, go for it! Aside from the player using Zeppelins to Kamikaze!, they are helpless.
--Focus fire hero. However, a smart Goblin trade prince will always have a tp or staff of tele.
--Invisibility. The Goblins do not get detection (save sentry wards from summoned Temporary Vendors and Spying Device ability of Engineer) till tech level 3. Beware, however, that Sappers can still Kaboom! the ground and deal damage to invisible units.

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Credits:
Mephestrial for his altered melee race selection system.
Weep for his GDD.
Download Link

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 561
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 648
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 594
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    192.6 KB · Views: 552
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 573
  • (8)PoS-Goblins.w3x
    333.2 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Level 5
Tuskarr Nomads

I ran out of time due to being in the middle of jobs (finishing up 2 weeks while doing training in free time)

so heres what ive got.

Race: Tuskarr Nomads
Units:
+Gatherer - Worker Unit. Can gather Gold and Lumber, Build and Salvage structures.
+Scout - Light melee unit. Can learn Ensnare
+Harpooner - Light ranged unit. Can learn Envenomed Spears
+Giant Polar Bear - Heavy Siege/Melee Unit. Can learn Cleave
+Giant Sea Turtle - Heavy Ranged Unit. Can Learn Crushing Wave
+Clearcaster - Defensive Spellcaster - Can learn Faerie Fire, Dispel Magic, Heal, and Abolish Magic
+Stormlord - Offensive Spellcaster - Can learn Forked Lightning, Cloud, Lightning Shield, and Monsoon.
+Pack Kodo - Mobile Food unit/Gold and Lumber dropoff.

Buildings:
+Tribal Totem - Town hall building. Provides food, is a gold and lumber drop off. Trains Gatherers and Pack Kodos
+Hot Springs - Hero Alter. Trains the not yet finished Perserver Hero. Also Revives heroes
+Trade Market - shop Building
+Mystic Forge - Upgrade Building. Contains ALL upgrades
+Sweat Lodge - Caster Production Building. Trains Clearcasters and Stormlords
+Meal Hall - Barracks. Trains Scouts and Harpooners
+Lookout Post - Defensive Tower
+Beast Pin - Heavy Unit Production. Trains Polar Bears and Sea Turtles.

Upgrades:
+Melee Weapons
+Ranged Weapons
+Shared Armors
+Beast Training - Unlocks beast abilities and gives a hp boost to them
+Hunting Party - Unlocks Scout and Harpooner Abilities.
+Bulk Up - Provides a HP and Damage Boost To ALL units
+Stormlord Training - Enables Stormlord Spell Progression
+Clearcaster Training + Enables Clearcaster Spell Progression

Map/WIPs/Ect: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2125098-post157.html

Best of luck to everyone :)

Level 35
who doesn't love undead i know i sure don't

fortunately you can play as elephants instead

ps i hate tooltips

techtree.png
contest.png
number.png
6.png

Submission Name: NECromantic Undead
Author: Wazzz

Additional Comments: I don't like tooltips and if you can't win as this race then you probably aren't good at warcraft.
This is my entry (sample)
Download Link (No-pastebin/No-external sites):

Attachments

• aidan or jaidan 2.jpg
    aidan or jaidan 2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 606
  • Techtree Contest 6 - Wazzz.w3x
    311.2 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Level 7
this is my final,
i can't work anymore :(
if i can, i'll make one more building D:

Race Name: Arcanist
Difficulty: Hard - Nightmare

Pros:
- Instant lumber harvesting, building, upgrading, and training troops
- Almost all buildings can attack, and their attacks are really good
- Auto gold harvesting, HP and MP repairing

Cons:
- High costs due to the quickness of gold and lumber harvesting
- Needs to balance gold, lumber and mana of each buildings
- All things are controlled by mana
- Lacks in mobility

Systems:
- Each building have a role of Energy transference, there are 3 of them:
  • Energy Sap, used to harvest gold and mana from gold mines. Units that have this ability can transfer mana to another building, but can't take any mana from other buildings (except for special case like ability).
  • Energy Drain, periodically drains mana from another possible building.
  • Energy Transfer, can both takes and transfers mana to another building.
Each of them will happen periodically. If any building have full mana, but damaged HP, it can still converts mana that it normally gain into HP. Energy Drain and Transfer can stop when the building's life and mana are at their maximum.
- There are 3 ways to harvest resources:
  • Energy Sap, periodically harvest gold and mana from nearby gold mines.
  • Life Sap, converts an area of trees into lumber and mana.
  • Overload Sap, converts a single tree into an extremely huge amount of lumber, but killing the harvester in the process.
Note that the more food the player has, the faster it harvests gold and lumber via Energy Sap and Life Sap.
- Magic Portals, they are the building foundation of any other buildings. Buildings that get summoned by Magic Portals have reduced HP based on the portal's mana. Magic Portals drains mana periodically like if they have Energy Drain.
- Global creep summoning, meaning that you can summon your troops anywhere on the map.

Buildings:
- Arcane Hall: Main building, only one available per game. Automatically harvests nearby gold mines and transfers mana to other buildings, can also harvests nearby trees and summon magic portals. This can be replaced by Arcane Storage.
- Magic Portal: Building that can be upgraded to another building. This building is invulnerable and impassable by ground units, but dies when the summoner of this building dies.
- Arcane Storage: A replica of Arcane Hall, the only difference is that this building can't attack.
- Energy Node: Building used to transfers mana between buildings, meaning that this building can both take and give mana.
- Arcane Spire: Required building to advance the speed, offense and defensive capabilities of all buildings. This building can do weak attacks.
- Arcane Ward: Primary defensive building capable to deal damage to all enemies in its range heavily.
- Fire Spire: Fire elemental creep-summoning building, can summon Fire Spirits which can confuse its opponents. The building itself has a splash attack.
- Lightning Spire: Lightning elemental creep-summoning building, can summon Lightning Revenants that are strong against mass enemies. The building itself has a strong bouncing attack.
- Ice Spire: Ice elemental creep-summoning building, can summon Ice Wraiths that focuses mainly on disabling and slowing enemies rather than hurting them. The building has an auto-castable ability that increases its attack damage and additionally slow its victim on each attack.

Units:
- Fire Spirit: Melee unit that have the ability to reincarnate.
- Lightning Revenant: Melee unit that have cleaving attacks.
- Ice Wraith: Flying ranged unit that have frost attacks.

Upgrades:
- Energy Mastery [3 Tier]: Increases the transfer speed of mana.
- Elemental Mastery [3 Tier]: Increases the damage of all creeps.
- Arcane Empower [4 Tier]: Increases damage, armor and sight range of all buildings.

Screenshots:
arcanistscr1.jpg

arcanistscr2.jpg

arcanistscr3.jpg

arcanistscr4.jpg

arcanistscr5.jpg

Download Map: Techtree Contest 6 - overcold_ice (@ RapidShare)
Patch: Warcraft III Patch 1.24+
Notes: Contains Blizzard.j (not yet allowed)

Download Map [Safe]: Techtree Contest 6 - overcold_ice [Safe]
Notes: Doesn't contain Blizzard.j (this map will be used instead if Blizzard.j isn't allowed)

Download Map [Latest]: Techtree Contest 6 - overcold_ice [Latest]
Notes: Doesn't contain Blizzard.j (review this map instead of maps above)

Have Fun !!

Last edited:
Level 14
Working hard :) I have to start to think about how to make my map playable for you ^^ Becouse its not programmed in Jass or Gui.

I could have make this race lot better if i got more time :S

Will posting the final entry about an hour before the deadline ^^

Level 7
oh gosh!!! . . .
am i allowed to import blizzard.j . . . ?
ugh >,<

@moderator:
please allow Blizzard.j importing . . :(
it's sucks to rewrite things . . .

and i did that because i hate to rewrite things inside Blizzard.j into my script . . .
the reason i did this -> to rework that player-revealing thing . . .

please allow me, this is really near the deadline D:

Status
Not open for further replies.