• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Starcraft 2 MAJOR Editor Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
I hope Blizzard will seriously take into consideration developing a better modular approach (based on an opt-in), as to how some of their non-essential assets are installed for SC, WC3:R and SCII. Imho the WC3 assets in SCII should be treated as an opt-in feature.

I am still hoping for a new and (much) improved Spawn Installation feature for any of these three games to hopefully make a come back (even though the original WC3 never had such an installation option to begin with).

Regarding SC Anthology, its HD assets (+ the Carbot mod) are a waste of HDD space for those who are interested only in the free+SD version of the game. Likewise, the HD assets of WC3:R are a waste of HDD space for those who do not intend to buy Reforged. Now, any HDD space recovered from SC Anthology and/or WC3:R installations may be 'reinvested' into installing SCII with a set of content the player considers to be the most fit for his/her use of the game.

Last edited:
Level 3
I hope Blizzard will seriously take into consideration developing a better modular approach (based on an opt-in), as to how some of their non-essential assets are installed for SC, WC3:R and SCII. Imho the WC3 assets in SCII should be treated as an opt-in feature.

I am still hoping for a new and (much) improved Spawn Installation feature for any of these three games to hopefully make a come back (even though the original WC3 never had such an installation option to begin with).

Regarding SC Anthology, its HD assets (+ the Carbot mod) are a waste of HDD space for those who are interested only in the free+SD version of the game. Likewise, the HD assets of WC3:R are a waste of HDD space for those who do not intend to buy Reforged. Now, any HDD space recovered from SC Anthology and/or WC3:R installations may be 'reinvested' into installing SCII with a set of content the player considers to be the most fit for his/her use of the game.
I think i understand what you're saying, and I agree.

Right now, (coming from the perspective of somebody who is slightly above average skill level in wc3/sc2 editing) it feels like each editor is lacking something major that the other one has. Sc2 has an amazing trigger gui editor; the terraining tools are fantastic and everything looks great; The options with the Data editor are good (albeit difficult), but the Easy Mode is a nice addition - the biggest drawback is the lack of assets / no Reforged models. The wc3R editor is sort of opposite - the data editor is charming and easy to use, the assets are great- but the trigger editor gui is severly lacking once you've used sc2, and the terraining tools are way outdated and terrain doesn't look good imo.

Level 20
As far as I know, 30+ GB is mandatory to achieve cross-compatibility for both classic and reforged players. Although, they should optimize the installation of Warcraft III Classic/Reforged like how Starcraft II was implemented with an optimal state for download to make it at least playable but with limited features. However, I don't think they'll consider touching the space requirement as it's probably made on purpose but I definitely hope so in the future anyway. :]

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] they should optimize the installation of Warcraft III Classic/Reforged like how Starcraft II was implemented with an optimal state for download to make it at least playable but with limited features. However, I don't think they'll consider touching the space requirement as it's probably made on purpose but I definitely hope so in the future anyway. :]
SCII is launchable and playable at some point even though its download process is not complete yet, because what remains to be downloaded are imho the assets and campaigns for its two (paid) expansions. Now compare that to the monolithic download that is WC3:R... There is definitively room for improvement here imho.

As far as I know, 30+ GB is mandatory to achieve cross-compatibility [...]
Now that we know SCII may get stuffed at some point with a full set of WC3 assets, get ready for any incoming WC3:R patch which will come stuffed with full official assets from the SCII universe, in the hopes one will create SCII mods for the Reforged game engine.

Prepare the pitchforks yet again?
:ogre_hurrhurr:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Now that we know SCII may get stuffed at some point with a full set of WC3 assets, get ready for any incoming WC3:R patch which will come stuffed with full official assets from the SCII universe, in the hopes one will create SCII mods for the Reforged game engine.
That would be silly. They should just mix the games and be done with it.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I'm pretty sure they could decrease the filesize by 80% or something by just optimizing all the models and textures.
peasantgoblin.png

In order to reduce poly counts of a model, as far as i know you would have to re-animate it again...

And about reducing texture resolution , that would not be a good idea since detail on textures are already small.
So at the end texture resolution decrease would impact greatly the quality

Ill give you fair example of it

https://i.imgur.com/Z3qgAs9.png 2048x1024 Reforged townhall-keep-castle texture

https://i.imgur.com/w9ZFIje.png 1024x1024 Coummunity townhall-keep-castle texture

So imagine how that Reforged texture resolution decrease would look alike...

Small details on textures...Small details on models...Fail proportions...Whole game is non RTS friendly and its harder to be modified...

Last edited:
Level 20
While it is true that there are duplicate models in the SC2 CASC modules, it's done that way on purpose because each module is used for only one specific thing (WoL campaign, WoL mulitplyaer, HotS campaign, HotS multiplayer, LotV campaign, LotV multiplayer, etc., and that doesn't even go into map-specific modules). The big headache is when you're trying to access something that's in one module and not the other, and you end up having to refer to one of them JUST to get to that asset. It's not like in Warcraft 3 where you can access everything because everything is referring to the same pool of assets.

I am hoping for purist sc2-wc3 assets like we had 2015....Whole warcraft 3 to be remaked..including buidlings...wc3 animations,portrait position...

It would bring me back to wc3 again...

Jesus i left wc3 when i got overdosed with it, seeking faitfull hd designs..Then saw mods,but its amateur fanbase job.

And now i left cause reforged is not purist enouh...

Why we dont have models like mortar team,super 3d...and why we had failure like orc warlock models, wakanda trolls...hesus hernando christo

Way gate imported from wow..Why the model isnt kept for campaign,and by default bring us faitfull purist patch?

Level 8
Ok so warcraft got the reforged treatment which removed alot of features, tons of bugs/desyncs, and we get a patch every month that updates footprints or a small bug fix.
Then starcraft gets this godly update, and they even get a new patch every week with tons of meaningful changes.

I'm crying man..

The feature which converts melee warcraft maps to sc2 maps gives me hope though, could it be upgraded to convert custom maps in the future as well?

I think classic and reforged should have 2 seperate downloads.

And i am sure Reforged need new engine, probably some hybrid made out of sc2 with those WE features (but more friendy user interface) and wc3 mechanics and steal graphical engine from hots. As far as i know hots engine is derivated from sc2

This cant go like this anymore. Progress is ultra slow...

Also,blizzard is not capable of making warcrft 4 rts. Noone knows how it would end it up , cause it would be ultra huge project.

The real solution is new hybrid engine on which we will port wc3 remaster, and pick up the core art style once for all. I hope it wont be this noisy reforged texture appareance with silly proportions. Could be more toonier substance approach...

Cause we will need it once for all. Cause on that new engine we can have new expansions.

With new engine, with good base you can do whatever you want... For 10 years you can come up with dressing rooms, sell artifacts...weapons...skins...

The game can evolve...

Like this will always stagnate... Let classic be classic, let classic dev mantain it...

Its time we get totaly new art on a totaly new engine for warcraft 3. New devs . New everythin. Remaster it to purism. Cause in new expansions we will have new lore characters based on wow...

Status
Not open for further replies.