Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Starcraft 2 MAJOR Editor Update

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Archian, Jul 15, 2020.

1. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    They have no interest to compete against themselves.
    This is probably a sign that Reforged might get some strange update thing or something. Or, the Armageddon, Reforged dropped and SCII taking its place but that would require all Reforged/WcIII maps to be playable in SCII first.

From my point of view. It's the best move they could make, combine these two games into one. Wow, paradise.

2. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Not much to say other than that this is awesome. Good job, Blizzard.

3. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Orb System (plus Multishot and Critical Strike)

New Effect flag: MainImpact

• When on, this flag marks an effect as the main impact effect of a weapon effect tree so that attack modifiers can know when to fire their modifier effects.
    • Multiple modifiers added to a unit. The Unique Id field allows users to determine whether they can all work at the same time. In War3, only one Orb effect can take place even if a hero has equipped multiple Orbs. However, modders will probably still want to have the option for multiple Orbs work at the same time.
    • The Stack Max field determines the number of times the damage bonuses can be stacked.
    • The DamageInheritEffect field fires an effect after the impact occurs, inheriting the impact damage to the following effect tree. These effects allow users to create a Chain Lighting effect or deal AoE damage based on the impact damage.
    • Can enable weapon by index, so that melee Heroes with the Orb item can use their hidden weapon to attack Air.
    I guess, SCII always had a damage detection system, right?
    Read the whole Orb System, basically we get Warcraft III orb effects and more! Also chance (on hit) related passive abilities as well as multishot stuff. Wonder if there's any Evasion enhancements. Would be really neat to have various effects (not graphical but code based outside of the trigger editor) when a unit with an Evasion type ability gets hit/basically when that chance on hit gets activated. We could make stuff like Diablo's Charged Lightning or novas coming out of your heroes when hit.

Dynamic Ability Support

• Modders can now use triggers to add or remove abilities from units.
    Ability Swap
    New function: UnitAbilityChangeLink()
    • This function allows users to swap an existing ability on a unit to another unit while keeping its old charges, cooldown, and level states.
    • The data version of Ability Swap will also affect the learnable abilities of Heroes.
    Skillshot Support

• StarCraft II now has skillshot support!
    Improved Hero System

• New CUnit class: CUnitHero

• XP Receiving Fraction based on Target Type
      • New CBehaviorVeterancy field: XPReceiveFraction
        • This field is a Structure Array, which allows users to specify a target filter and an accumulate-able fraction value for each array.
        • Whenever a hero receives XP, the game will check the target filters on the victim unit and apply the XP fraction if the victim matches any of the filters.
        • Combined with the Accumulators, users will be able to easily create XP formulas such as “summoned units grant half XP” or “Heroes gain reduced XP from creeps based on the current level of the Hero”.
    Wonder if Spellbook type abilities would be required anymore.

Item and Inventory System Improvements
    • Cast On Items in Inventory
      • CCommandButton now exposes its ButtonOtherUnit property. Now users will be able to use property bind to bind the item unit (the item itself, not the carrier) to either a target frame or other frames.
      • With this functionality, users will be able to cast abilities on an item inside their inventories, either to transfer or upgrade it.
      • With this feature, users can also now double click on Town Portals to auto-teleport to your highest-level Town Hall.
    Globally Accessible Inventory Panel
    • Users can now override the Inventory Unit property of CInventoryPanel in order to show the inventory of a unit that is not current selected.
    “Real” Power-up Items
    • New Item type: CItemAbilPowerUp
    • Powerup items can now be implemented as real items instead of having to mimic a unit.
    • CItemAbilPowerUp will test whether the caster can use the powerup ability in CItemAbilPowerUp. If it can't, it will throw an error message, and won’t make the caster move to the item.
    • A normal unit with an inventory but without the CanUseItem flag on will be able to pick up powerups and carry them to a hero.
    Neutral/Allied Shop Support

Other Behavior System Changes

• Actor Damage Response Floating Text Support
        • When CActorMsgBehavior fires an event with a DamageHandled sub name, using SetTextLocalized and SetText messages after the event will now automatically set text via the modified damage amount.
        • The damage will replace the '%AMOUNT%' token in the target text.
        • This is useful for creating damage floating text for damage responses.
        New Behavior state: Cannot Die
        • Marks a unit as “not able to die” unless the behavior is removed.
        • Though the use of damage responses is able to achieve a similar effect, death responses can only prevent death by damage. This behavior state prevents death for any reason, e.g., life set to 0.
        • This state provides a simple alternative for a trigger-based death prevention system.
        New Death Type: Reincarnation
        • This prevents units from dropping loot and items on death.
    Better Corpse Support

• New Unit Filter: Raiseable
    • New flag: Allow Corpse

• With this flag on, transport abilities will be able to carry corpses in their cargo.

Wonder if there are any Diablo corpse explosion capabilities.

And... I accidentally pressed SPACE and it posted...

EDIT: man, it's one of the most comprehensible lists I've seen in a patch. What a treasure.
    So many useful things that you can feel complete.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  4. maduroman

maduroman

Resources:
    Resources:
    actual improvements? wow imagine if they could have done this to the original warcraft 3 aswell,
    i'll never not be mad

5. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm foreseeing cross compatibility between Reforged and SCII if not more.

@Bribe no more need for a DDS?

Other Damage System Changes

• New CEffectDamage field: DamageInheritEffect
      • The effect set in this field will be fired after the primary damage is done.
      • It will inherit the damage amount of the primary damage.
    • New CEffectDamage flag: NoZeroDamageInherit
      • This tells DamageInheritEffect to not fire when damage done is 0.
    • New CEffectDamage: Fraction
      • An extra fraction that will be multiplied to all other existing fractions.
      • This field supports accumulators, so modders will be able to create formulas based on this fraction.

6. Ezekiel12

Ezekiel12

Resources:
    Resources:
    Having read the whole changelog, this is crazy.

It's not like they evaluated the top 5 nicest features of wc3 bringing them as a gift to an aging sc2.

It's like they took 90% of every mechanic and editor feature in wc3 which was hard to achieve in sc2 and copied it over, building a wc3 inside sc2.

That must have taken a small team of sc2 engine gods years to complete.

Why, why, why?

7. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hey, can the Galaxy Editor read .mdx and .mdl? I would hate to have to convert models to .m3 or whatever SCII uses.

8. Ether

Ether

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    So do this mean, we can now port all Warcraft III stuff to work well with Starcraft II editor?
    Shit, if I am asking the right question, I will be overjoyed.

I think I will have to abandon the JNGP and the old ancient ways of modding and get to this new environment. :)

9. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Yes it has had one pretty much since WoL released. Just these extensions are for ease of use or additional feature support.
    That is the huge question. Every one of the huge list of changes could have been a partial feature that was included with a previous update. They were all requested since day 1 of WoL being released pretty much.

The fact that all of them hit together in one huge patch after so long is surprising. This almost rings that the SC2 engine is getting a full development team working on it and will be used for the basis of another RTS game.

10. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Warcraft IV perhaps :D?

Better Legacy Map Converter

• Improved the Legacy Map converter. When converting WarCraft III maps, it will no longer only convert terrain mesh, but also terrain textur, and preplaced units, doodads, destructibles, cameras, and regions.
    So, then, I guess so?

11. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    ive heard "sc2 modding will kill wc3" since 2012
    guess what, wc3 is dead by now
    and not because of sc2
    oh, and sc2 is an interesting game to some geeks as well

12. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    In terms of gameplay, they are different games so there's no actual competition between them. In terms of modding, it was seen that simplicity was the key of keeping great numbers. And with this SCII update, Reforged grows ever less. However, I do not think their idea is for people to forget Warcraft III since SCII now has Warcraft III material. There are still things to be done before they can fully incorporate Warcraft III into StarCraft II, and that includes Custom Campaigns!

13. moyackx

moyackx

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    In essence: The update went in the wrong game...

In fact: this update arrived too late to SC2. It should be solved many years ago...

Seriously??? Blizzard has to wait that a game gets lost into oblivion to give updates...

14. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah and no. SCII has so much more going and had so for so long in terms of editor capabilities and engine.
    Imagine having to recreate the zerg and protoss in Warcraft III for instance (with all their stuff like shields, larvae etc.).
    I see it as a better way of game revival than a cheap remaster like nowadays.

15. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    No the models must be converted using external conversion programs. This is because SC2 models are rigged quite differently from WC3 ones and contain different meta data.

That said WC3 textures being DDS will just work in SC2 without the need for conversion. Legacy BLP textures logically need conversion, but between BLP lab to save the texture as a lossless file format and GIMP to convert that lossless file format into DDS this is kind of trivial to do.

16. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ah shoot.

Thanks for the diagnostic doc!

17. hiphop4eva

hiphop4eva

Resources:
    Resources:
    I screamed form excitment when I saw this lmao. I always thought Sc2 editor would be so much better if it was just simpler to use.

18. EredarArbeiterYU

EredarArbeiterYU

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah lol, that's pretty much what we should be accustomed to getting (on average) in WC3 patches. :[

19. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ok, so I still had the game installed for a while now.
    I can't figure out how to get to the newest PTR editor version.

EDIT: Never mind, in the B.net application under regions I had to select PTR but it requires a full new install sadly...

20. Venombite

Venombite

Resources:
    Resources:
    You know, it's not a secret that StarCraft II has had it's own development team for the past 10 years. And it's likely at least as big as Classic Games team, if not much bigger. And they work on the engine. As somebody here already stated, they planed to release this (a) year(s) ago, but since the team and resources got cut, it took longer.

I wouldn't get too excited if I were you, but....If we're indeed gonna get StarCraft III, they won't announce it at least till November 2021. For such an announcement, it would "have to" be a big opening cinematic of a Blizzcon(like D4 had at Blizzcon 2019), and the nearest Blizzcon is November 2021.