1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Blizzard releases WarCraft 3 assets for StarCraft 2 modding

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Orcnet, Feb 3, 2015.

1. oger-lord

oger-lord

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Now we only need a trick to increase the ground texture resolution and we can make a Wc3 HD mpq.

2. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    In theory it is possible, however it is certainly a bad idea. WC3 being Direct 3D8 technology cannot cope with high polycount assets. Spam enough Tauren Chieftains as is and the graphics will literally melt in front of you into a swirling mass of triangles. The high resolution textures might also push the API beyond what it is designed for.

3. don_svetlio

don_svetlio

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Is it really that bad? I mean, I've seen some projects like "Requiem" and "Memento Mori" which have rather high poly stuff and they don't seem to be having issues. There must be some sort of workaround.

4. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm starting to think maybe a joint effort is better in the endeavor to port WC3 models into SC2. SC2: Armies of Azeroth has done it pretty well and I've seen good ports elsewhere too.

5. emperor_d3st

emperor_d3st

Resources:
    Resources:
    If they did this and other moves like this when SC2 came out then perhaps the modding scene (and SC2 arcade) wouldn't be in this lifeless state.

6. Darklycan51

Darklycan51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  7. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Hm, looks like it's only the models in those pictures that have been remade, everything else is the same.

Hopefully they'll upgrade the others over time.

8. knight26

knight26

Resources:
    Resources:
    ^ I don't think that's what Blizzard has released. I just checked it out, it seems fan made.

HEY GUYS, How do I find the these wc3 models in the Stracraft 2 Editor? I can't find them anywhere. I did download the PTR, I have that editor.

9. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I already answered that...

By "move" I mean that they moved it to their SC2 mod folder and imported from there.

10. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I hope those are not the final tree models, they look awkward.

11. oger-lord

oger-lord

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You know how Wc3 trees look like?
    Trees
    [​IMG]

12. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Of course I do, I haven't been born yesterday.
    That's why I don't use them.

Still the new trees look shitty compared to the rest of the in-game ones in sc2.

13. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    They're not great, but not that bad either. The trunks are weird, but I bet from isometric they look ok.

14. knight26

knight26

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Dr super good
    Thanks man, well that's the part I didn't understand. I thought it would be as easy as have a group in the editor which said Wc3 assets. :/ I have no idea how to do what you just said, though.
    Edit: @Dr super good, could you please elaborate further as to how one 'moves' these files to the mod folder? I don't want to risk breaking the game and am not willing to take any chances. I assume it has to do with the folders wc3 assets and wc3 data, which are now in the PTR folder of starcraft II?.
    It's a shame, having them there, and not being able to view them.

To all the others, after you download the PTR, there will be a mod there with wc3, that is NOT the blizzard assets. Those models are the imported wc3 mpq models(originals/vanilla) and they look utterly like shit.
    So do not get pessimistic, I hope there's a workaround at the availability of the new assets, for easier modding of course. I hope in the near future we get new campaigns and maps, completely in starcrat 2. It seems like a good idea, to be honest. Though it sucks how little informative they are for this change.
    There seems to be an update how mods will work on Starcraft 2, there's a new 'method' where modders don't necessarily need to constantly modify mods, they can simply create a blank "super mod", called extension mod. Which will basically serve as a game mechanic, within the game mechanics. Which sounds awesome and complicated at the same time.
    And Heinie, I suppose we will need to see them ingame, in action, to make a comparison.

15. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    No I cannot as I do not have the PTR.

I am only forwarding what other people have said. They have said that you need to move the mod files from where they are located to your mods folder and then import the mode locally from that folder. When it is released it will probably become a standard part of SC2 so will not be a problem however until then you need to do such a work around.

If you read the Blizzard post carefully they said that they upgraded the 4 heroes for each race and the rest were ported. They did not say anything else has been upgraded. The images people are posting above come from some site and might not be the actual official models.

Some models may be better quality for the reasons I said earlier, they might have had higher than allowed versions for WC3 that they optimized down for release.

Some people report some "hacked together" data for the assets. However it is far from usable and most likely was Blizzard testing stuff.

The fact is that if you want an ogre, orc, elf or whatever in your map this mod allows you to have one. Even if it looks like a dump compared to your super power armoured marine. It also will look better than WC3 as SC2 illumination model is far superior supporting real shadows (gasp, WC3 used blobs) and HDR (if you ever learn to use it properly).

16. HandCLAW

HandCLAW

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Hey there, just wanted to quickly address this:

Here is the guy who made these screenshots 1 2 3 and posted them on "some site".

They are official models from the PTR. I made the screenshots to have a proper overview what they actually updated and shared them on several sites to clear things up.

17. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I really should get the PTR so I can make side-by-side comparison photos.

18. Zaramorus

Zaramorus

Resources:
    Resources:
    Warcraft 4 confirmed?

19. Duke

Duke

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    damn I should probably install sc2 again

20. knight26

knight26

Resources:
    Resources:
    More like totally scraped forever. :/

Edit:
    Yes, though, in the PTR, there seems to be a mod with imported wc3 material, and those are the original/vanilla ones. What I was saying is, that mod doesn't have the HD-ish new hero models, trees, doodads, etc. It has the same wc3 ones, imported into the sc2 engine.
    And as the person above explained, quite a few things have been redone, such as the neutral buildings, walls, new trees.
    Probably blizzard is still holding back these assets until the new update goes public for all :/

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015