1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Blizzard releases WarCraft 3 assets for StarCraft 2 modding

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Orcnet, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Orcnet

Orcnet

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blizzard has released Warcraft III official assets to be used for StarCraft II Arcade modders or so called the PTR (Public Test Realm).

A post on the Battle.net blog explains all the hero models for the primary four races, all neutrals creatures along with their sounds, structures, spell effects, ambient sounds, music and custom user interfaces for each race are all available via quote:

See the full information on Battle.net blog here: LINK

The Arcade serves as a portal for modders to share their creations, and other members of the community to download them. While some change game modes or other features, the more ambitious in the community have the ability to build entire games from scratch.

This news is based from IGN's game report.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  2. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Apparently the mod is not as user friendly as people would like at the moment. Some people needed to physically move the mod file to use it.

3. don_svetlio

don_svetlio

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Have they updated them (adding to poly count/uprezing textures)? If no, then that's really lazy.

4. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    According to the news on Blizz's site, it includes new hero models for the 4 primary races. So that would mean paladin, dreadlord etc.. all the standard heroes are remade in HD. But everything else, as far as I understand, are the same models/textures as WC3.

Still if somebody could put all of this into a SC project and release it, it could serve as a great base to expand on for other modders to remake WC3 in SC2's superior engine. Even just importing the original assets would look better because of better shaders and real-time shadows etc.

I'd sure like to see some screenshots/gameplay videos of this in action.

5. ShadowDemonLord

ShadowDemonLord

Resources:
    Resources:
    I doubt they did this, but I think it'd be interesting to watch the buildings fall apart instead of just explode. Maybe have some rag dolls in there as well... With all these new models, it certainly would make starcraft 2 tower defenses more diverse.

6. don_svetlio

don_svetlio

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    And they'd still have almost 4 times less models than Wc3.

7. Hawkwing

Hawkwing

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    These were posted on mmochampion the other day. I don't have the PTR so I can't check if these models are indeed there, but they make for some great eye candy regardless.

Doodads, Neutral Buildings, and Human Towers
    [​IMG]

Demons and Creeps (Inlcuding a Frog!)
    [​IMG]

Heroes and Summoned Units
    [​IMG]

Edit: Made the image links a lot more obvious because I want people to see this.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  8. Selaya

Selaya

Resources:
    Resources:
    Doesn`t really change a thing.
    An open SC2 would be a godsend, but this will happen on the day when 1 + 1 = 3

9. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    What on earth is "an open SC2"?

10. Selaya

Selaya

Resources:
    Resources:
    LAN option, playing maps vanilla BNet style (create your own game from a local mapfile of your choice), not having to log into your BNet account to use the editor, just to name some.

11. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oh man those look great. I was under the impression from some posts in SC2Mapster that they had ported straight from wc3. They apparently did miss the chance to add decals though. That's a damn shame :s Footman shield definitely should have decal.

12. LordDz

LordDz

Resources:
    Resources:
    You can probably add them in the editor, so you can have custom decals.

13. Hawkwing

Hawkwing

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Support for decals would be super easy to add with the plugins for 3D Studio Max, so long as there's an easy way to import the models into the program. I don't know how reliable the importers are.

14. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    SC2 does support that via some form of local play system. Not that anyone ever uses LAN anymore outside of VPN WANs.

Except BattleNet gives you all the maps? I guess they had to do this for legal reasons (as we all know some maps from WC3 were iffy).

You do not have to? Once you log in once, it will cache the authentication. Generally I find I never need to log in to use the SC2 Editor as I use BattleNet 2.0 and SC2 enough that the cache is always valid. It might need re-authentication every 30 days or so and if you do not play any Blizzard game in that time period something is probably wrong with you.

Apparently there is some random buggy data that accompanies it as well. Some assets were also remade or enhanced (possibly based on internal high-quality versions made for WC3 that were reduced for release due to limitations of the time?). Sadly I think most will be straight ports. However the SC2 engine will still make them look better since they will still render with real time shadows and the advanced illumination model.

They had limited resources to do all of this. The fact no fan has already done this for all WC3 models shows that it is not an easy thing to do as is.

Maybe some expansion models could be added to the footman to add the decal? I recall hearing that you can add/replace model chunks from an expansion file. This would mean that decal support could be added with a smallish user made mod while the bulk of the assets still come from the SC2 WC3 standard mod.

15. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    Kinda neat. Don't think it will change much.

16. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Oh yeah, that's looking way better than I had imagined. Looks like they upped the polycount, texture size and generated normal maps for them as well. That's pretty cool.

Here's a comparison, from another angle:

Comparison
    [​IMG]

17. Orcnet

Orcnet

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I always had this eye-bugging issue whenever I see a Demon Hunter and its black tattoos as lacking, and in some point I was hoping it should be team colored, Blizz finally got that idea (or maybe too late for warcraft 3) to fix it.

Now he looks like he's ready to slice demons and chew mana, and he's done chewing mana. Also PotM having uh nice jugs made her look visible in comparison with the original.

18. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Demon Hunter looks cool indeed, but I think the Dark Ranger has lost her gloom, when I looked at her she looked more like Shandris.

Btw, did anyone notice the black raven next to the night elf heroes? Is that the druid of the talon or is it medivh's raven form? I remember druids' color on raven form being something between blue and magenta.

19. don_svetlio

don_svetlio

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I have a question to the people who have more exprerience than me. How feasible is taking these models from SC2 and porting them back to wc3? I know that may seem like a step backwards but if we had the whole reworked wc3 library, we could just update the mpq files wc3 has with these assets. Assuming that's even possible though. Just a simple idea.

20. LordDz

LordDz

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's medvih. The druid of the talon is purple.

And I think if you apply a darker team colour for the Dark ranger, she might look more undeadish and evilish.