Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Starcraft 2 MAJOR Editor Update

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Archian, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    STARCRAFT II 4.13.0 PTR PATCH NOTES

Untitled-2.jpg

Blizzard said: blizzarrow.gif

EDITOR UPDATE
    We’re excited to announce a major update to the StarCraft II Map Editor!

Since Wings of Liberty, your feedback has been consistent: The Editor should be easier to use. This patch aims to address this feedback without losing depth of customization. As such, we’ve absorbed elements from the Warcraft III editor designed for ease of use without sacrificing existing capability of the StarCraft II Editor. We have also expanded the SCII Editor’s capability even further.

We encourage map makers and mod makers to jump in, explore, and send us your feedback as we’re always interested in adding more exciting changes in the future. This is the largest Editor update we've ever made, and we're excited to hear what you think! Below is an overview of some of the exciting new features. It is critical for us to get feedback about how your maps are behaving with these changes. So please try publishing your custom maps to the PTR and let us know if you run into any issues or strange behavior on our PTR forum.

Before you start: Please do not to forget to backup your maps before you try them on PTR as PTR is meant to be experimental.

Also: Please keep in mind that while War Chest XP can be earned on the PTR, progress will not carry over onto the other regions, and most rewards from the War Chest will not carry over from the PTR.

[...]

:fp: Read the full article: StarCraft II Official Game Site

2. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Makes me wanna install the game again. Never used the editor because it was too complicated. But if indeed, it has become like the Trigger and Object Editors of Warcraft III's World Editor, then, yeah, that's really amazing, since it helps me not recreate loads of things in Warcraft III that are really complex especially with MUI.

3. OutsiderXE

OutsiderXE

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I feel like I got married to the wrong woman (Reforged) and my ex-girlfriend (SC2) finally beat her meth-addiction and got a stable job.

Jokes aside. This is SO good. This makes me hopeful for Reforged that the developers are indeed working on something major in the background, they just fail to communicate it.

4. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Look at these goodie pomises
    StarCraft II now supports transitioning a multiplayer lobby between two maps.

The two maps involved in the transition must be published by the same author.

A new “Campaign” genre has been added that can be assigned in the Game Variants menu.

The “Campaign” genre does not currently show up in the genre dropdown in-game, but you can still see these maps in your “My Published”.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  5. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    SC2 reforged when?

6. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No need to sunny. If they implement custom campaigns for SCII, probably even WcIII fans will go there since custom stuff is free and you only need the free Wings of Liberty to play custom stuff.

7. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I have taken a look at the "easy mode editor" (PTR) and I can confirm that it is much less of a pain to work with.

8. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thank you Shar!

9. Venombite

Venombite

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah, hate to be a joy killer, but I'd like to remind people that Refunded is "handled" by classic games, which are probably focused on D2R right now, and StarCraft 2 still has it's own team who only work on that game. (And the two teams are likely the same size.) Which is kinda weird imo, cause to my knowledge Sc2 is mostly dead, and I wouldn't be surprised if ScR or even Warcraft 3 have more active players than Sc2.

10. mori

mori

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I think this is more changes than WC3 has seen since the patches began. Wild.

11. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, I think, it'd be better to port Warcraft III into StarCraft II or something instead of having two games to work with.
    So, if they could import Warcraft III/fuse them, that would be really something.

12. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The WC3 to SC2 map converter apparently also got improved according to the patch notes. :^)

13. tulee

tulee

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  14. OutsiderXE

OutsiderXE

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Would make sense. They planned to release this years ago, but as the dev team got smaller they only managed to finish it now.

15. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This patch is pure mythological resource.

• Now the official War3 asset mod includes a whole set of working data that includes races, units, buildings, and abilities. We hope these examples help modders get up-to-speed.[/COLOR

[​IMG]

• StarCraft II now supports water pathing!
    • New Pathing types: Shallow Water and Deep Water.
    • New over Pathing Modes: Float and Amphibious.
    • Ground units can path on Ground and Shallow Water tiles.
    • Float units can path on Shallow Water and Deep Water tiles.
    • Amphibious units can path on Ground, Shallow Water and Deep Water tiles.
    • Flying units can go anywhere that does not have air pathing blockers.
    • These two new pathing types currently can only be painted by the pathing brush in Terrain Editor.

16. GhostOfPast

GhostOfPast

Resources:
    Template:
    Resources:
    *breath in* WHY THEY DON'T DO THIS TO WARCRAFT 3 :ogre_rage:
    There so many limits in Wc3 very easy to overcome. If they did it for Sc2 they can with wc3.
    And then they say "uh wc3 is dead" :ogre_hurrhurr:

17. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Because SCII is already a long way ahead, so doing it again would be time consuming. However, I suggested they fuse the games or maybe they could implement SCII stuff to Reforged.

18. GhostOfPast

GhostOfPast

Resources:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I don't want to install 20+27Gb of content just for a 3Gb SD Wc3. The strength of Wc3 resides in its portability and performance. It can be easily run in anything from 2010. No problems when putting together LANs with friends.
    On the other side we have CPU killers coupled with tons of GB of dead weight.
    I understand what you say although. Just by increasing the pathfinding buffer and the selection amount would bring wc3 mapping into a new gold age : no longer derpy TD and RTS maps !!!

19. Bribe

Bribe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    This is great! If you are already into StarCraft 2 modding.

What needs to happen is for the ability to port over existing WarCraft 3 maps that translate the Object Data and triggers into whatever-syntax StarCraft 2 uses.

I'm not about to reinvent the wheel in a new editor in a new game starting from absolutely nothing.

I agree with the posts above mine that the editor should just be unified with Warcraft 3, however that would be a logistical nightmare.

I'dmuch rather have preferred this StarCraft 2 editor update didn't happen at all and instead brought new features to War3.

20. Uncle

Uncle

Resources:
    Resources:
    Tempted to ditch wc3 for good and boot up the sc2 editor again.

Next reforged patch ->
    Editor improvements: Fixed the penguin model's footprints being slightly larger than intended.