Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Starcraft 2 MAJOR Editor Update

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Archian, Jul 15, 2020.

1. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It could be so that modding would be free since Wings of Liberty is free. Reforged is not, however, maybe Classic WcIII will be sometime as Brood War became.
    Not sure right now, maybe @kellym0 knows best.
    But it'd be a good idea to check the Warcraft III dependencies that the Galaxy Editor uses. See if those models were indeed converted to the SCII model format. If not, then that's amazing, we'll just be able to use .mdx/.mdl through this dependencies packs (something like .mpq?).
    Not at all. I really never saw the game mechanics of SCII sucking. The graphics, however, is a bit too glow-blurry compared to the lively Warcraft III.
    Brood War did quite fine, fans even going beyond limits with USME or whatever, SCMdraft and so on.
    Now, if they make a proper compatibility with .mdx and .blp files, we'll just have HiveWorkshop at our disposal for SCII modding.
    I don't think so. However, I'd pretty much love them if they'd fuse HotStorm with SCII and Warcraft III. The possibilities would be so much on the fields of Elysium level.
    "Life em good."
    You guys were making an UED campaign? Sweet. Hope you don't eff up the original lore :D
    Also, Imperia, original stuff? I'd like to see that, yeah.
    Let's just hope they implement custom campaigns.
    As I mentioned, they have no interest to shoot themselves in the foot. Probably, there's some big masterplan we're not grasping yet.
    Seeing how "dead" games are updated nowadays *cough, Reforged, cough*, this patch probably took years especially that they basically started using fan made stuff. They didn't do that before, or at least, not at such a level. This is a huge step. For instance Gothic 3 got a huge fan bug fix and enhancement upgrade. The company then re-released or maybe just updated the game with those things as the final/gold edition.
    I hope not. If they can fuse the modding aspect of these games, all is in godly hands. I doubt they are just gonna throw the Reforged assets to the bin of oblivion, not because they payed for them but because many like them. Of course, many don't but that's subjective in the end especially when it comes to modding/mapping since for instance you could use the Reforged assets for something non-Warcraft for example since they are quite different in many ways.
    They were referring to the graphics engine mostly and that the models won't be just simple HD versions of their previous selves.
    Doesn't matter. SCII's much better and will improve on the Classic Warcraft III's.
    Maybe they jested the CEOs, lol.
    What do you want to test? Install the SCII PTR, it's free.
    I think expecting stuff like that from the start was a bit overwhelming and demanding. If they indeed had made this move back then, Warcraft III would have lost its modding scene that was hugely active. Now, it doesn't matter anymore since StarCraft II didn't get any of the love WcIII did and it's a shame. From now on, we could give both the love they deserve.
    HDD space in this context doesn't matter. Modders need loads of space for their custom resources anyway. Like composers use tons of VSTs.
    Sweet, only not just for RTS.

Join the Singularity today!

2. Devalut

Devalut

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If reforged had a SCII editor port I'd fork over 40 bucks.

3. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Don't give them that kind of an idea...

EDIT: I mean, Unity type merchandise shop is something else entirely...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  4. Uncle

Uncle

Resources:
    Resources:
    @deepstrasz
    I guess i'm just confused as to how this stuff works. Is there a map with a demonstration that I could open and look at? That picture in the patch notes that had the Blizzard ability, is there a map available that is utilizing that?

5. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Steps on how to access the stuff:
    SCwc3assets01.png SCwc3assets02.png SCwc3assets03.png SCwc3assets04.png SCwc3assets05.png SCwc3assets06.png SCwc3assets07.png SCwc3assets08.png

Although, sad part is that the Easy Mode for the Object Editor doesn't work for the StarCraft II stuff. At least the data from both dependencies can be mixed and used with the normal object data editor version.

There are also issues with properly showing categories when SCII and WcIII dependencies are mixed:
    dependenciesIssue.png

6. Uncle

Uncle

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thank you very much!

7. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Can't wait to see what you come up with!

EDIT: great news! The Space Orc is there, unlike in Reforged.

8. tulee

tulee

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hidden

upload_2020-7-17_22-38-10.png

9. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    What about the Classic version?

10. tulee

tulee

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I was kidding, the model was a geo merge of a grunt + human marine body.

Anyway, I hope Wc3 stays separate from Sc2.

11. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thought so initially. Heh, so I indeed fooled myself in the end.
    I guess they could make it so you'd choose which parts you'd download for modding and which not. If you don't want the SCII stuff, you should just be able to select the Warcraft III ones, something like that.

12. loktar

loktar

Model Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You're reading way too much into this. This is just an update that has been in development for a long time. It's completely separate from anything to do with WC3.

13. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Another thing that could be improved:
    -units with different target attacks need text saying which attack is for what kind of target (something not even WcIII has sadly)
    -also ranges don't match those from Warcraft III term wise. Archers have 12.5 which apparently would translate to WcIII's 600
    -attack move seems not to work on non-attacking units treated as enemy

In the Galaxy Editor WcIII icons are .dds and models are .m3 so sadly, there's no .mdx/.mdl support, probably :|

EDIT: can't figure out how to turn a normal unit into a hero. I guess it works the same way as in Warcraft III that you have to actually copy a hero unit and modify it?
    Made it heroic to have that hero icon but what about gaining experience?

14. fenix140

fenix140

Resources:
    Resources:
    That is a remastered. Same as Starcraft Remastered. Their idea was something more abitious but they did not manage to finish it, or rather they are doing it little by little.

It makes perfect sense, but on second thought, this would never have been done. Why haven't they done it since 2011 ?, when there was a big drop in the SC 2 community, if this simpler editor was implemented since the last patch released by the Zergs, they would satisfy many of their Arcade fans, of course, all this within golden time SC 2.

Speculate on that, so if Blizzard's guys want to sort out all their bad decisions regarding SC 2 Arcade, this would be your chance. I will not talk about the .m3 and .mdl HD formats, but considering that SC 2 has the Reforged models without having to alter them almost at all, it is possible that they have the extension conversion nut.

It would only be necessary for us to be given that converter, or to implement it within the War 3 engine.
    I'm not going to be optimistic, if not interpreting what the Classic Game plans to develop, if the two engines are compatible, the resources of both would be shared extensively.

SC 2 will receive a lot of resources from War 3, and Reforged would have a powered editor.

15. kantarion

kantarion

Resources:
    Resources:
    They are actually adding reforged , you can check trough casc sc2 test

https://media.discordapp.net/attach...37174958200/unknown.png?width=1006&height=548

And not only that,they are kinda improving textures (i hope its not a standalone case)removing noise, ,reduce exposure of diff,making some details more 3d.

Theres diff,normal,specular,ao maps that comes with gloss and sometime emissive.

This is cut from Human Altar buidling for showcase what they do

[​IMG]

16. fenix140

fenix140

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the information, I am going to test it, maybe what XD said is not so crazy

17. kantarion

kantarion

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well,usualy in casc PTR got ,,PTR,, name for online preview. I see only ,,sc2 test,,

So...I guess its that..If someone can confirm is it same built?

18. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Maybe it was just a secondary plan while most attention was put on the so called expansions. Plus, now they don't really have anything more to lose since the game would probably get less and less attention ultimately so this is CPR.

Who's XD?

@kantarion that image is still small.

19. kantarion

kantarion

Resources:
    Resources:
    I found this too...I rly cant remember
    Well deepstrasz,do you want me upload 2048x2048 here...its enough cut man...

Also i found outland Mushroom Trees. I cant remember it was there before.....

[​IMG]

Its clearly not reforged, but its more likely ,,War3HD,, cause file have its name. But still...How i never saw this before in files??????And i see it now...hm.I will check tonight

20. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I can barely read the text on that image with the assets list.
    Thanks for delving into this kantarion.

@kantarion hey, try extracting some of those files. Are they actually Reforged assets and not the Classic models from the Warcraft III dependencies pack?
    Although your selection was on a Reforged Blademaster, however there are two Blademaster types in SCII I could access with the editor, the Classic version (+fel/chaos and Grom models) and the 2010/SCII version.

Guys! This is serious!

They remade Warcraft III models as we wanted them like the 2010 heroes (did not post them too)! @YourArthas
    Well some could be perfected but still!
    Behold!
    Remastered01.png Remastered02.png Remastered03.png Remastered04.png Remastered05.png Remastered06.png Remastered07.png Remastered08.png Remastered09.png Remastered10.png Remastered11.png Remastered12.png Remastered13.png Remastered14.png Remastered15.png Remastered16.png Remastered17.png Remastered18.png Remastered19.png Remastered20.png Remastered21.png Remastered22.png Remastered23.png Remastered24.png Remastered25.png Remastered26.png Remastered27.png Remastered28.png Remastered29.png Remastered30.png Remastered31.png Remastered32.png Remastered33.png Remastered34.png Remastered35.png Remastered36.png Remastered37.png Remastered38.png Remastered39.png Remastered40.png Remastered41.png Remastered42.png Remastered43.png Remastered44.png Remastered45.png Remastered46.png Remastered47.png Remastered48.png Remastered50.png Remastered51.png Remastered52.png Remastered53.png Remastered54.png

• Currently there seems to be no difference between the HD versions of purple, green and red infernals. They're all green.
    • The eredar have some weird white aura.
    • Not much difference between the red eredar and Kil'jaeden. K'j should have wings like in the WcII manual. Yeah, would be nice to be changed in the campaign as well. The cinematic version isn't ethereal as before.
    • No too much difference between the blue and purple satyrs. The red one isn't quite red.
    • Maybe the Spirit of Vengeance could use some differentiation not to look like a transparent sentry with a hand FX.
    • Apparently the eagle is Medivh's crow?
    • Generally, the less HD parts of some models should be more like the better models.
    We don't have them all yet, and some are missing variants, not just colours. But it's a great start!

The Object Data seems to be lagging. It needs some performance tweaks. This issue happens especially with the Detail View on. I guess when selecting models it's normal since both the Warcraft and StarCraft dependencies were loaded.

EDIT:
    Well, apparently these aren't new
    https://www.reddit.com/r/warcraft3/comments/f0ydoo/did_everyone_forgot_when_we_got_much_betterbut/
    But I sure hope they finish them all.