• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Spells & Systems Mini-Contest #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Aw guys... I will not post any update at the moment. Basically everything I have done will not show any SFX changes, only triggering. If we are lucky, perhaps it will come tonight (because Im off now). Otherwise tomorrow.

Level 13
Justify you spell is great but it seems very powerful (maybe these creeps are just weak). I'd make the mushrooms grow much slower if I were to use this in a map. I think you should be able to detonate the mushrooms from further away. I liked how you can't place mushrooms too close to each other. Your hotkey for detonate doesn't work for "S". If you want to use "S" you must change the hotkey for stop in game interface. What is affected by level increases? Was to lazy to level it up =P. Other then that, I really like it.

Maybe it's too powerfull, but you are able to configurate ANYTHING^^ in the constants, also the damage and the grow duration :).
Level 2 "just" has a bigger aoe and deals more damage ;)
Oh and for the hotkey, seems that I forgot to edit it in the OE and just changed it in the tooltip^^

I think this is pretty much done. I tried to balance it as much as i could, only the cooldown is a bit to short(dunno tell me) The code is really short, and the spell is really nothing special. but i learned a bit of Jass :D

Touch of Nature

Gathers the forces of nature, to make a gentle effect on the targeted unit.
With the powers of nature caster heals, gives bonus: damage, armor and life regeneration.
If life of targeted unit is below 33% there is a chance that the target will receive Natures Blessing, that will replenish its life and mana and also remove all negative buffs from it.
Lasts 15 seconds.

Attachments

• Touch of Nature S&S #16 -BZR[final].w3x
    35 KB · Views: 37
Level 18
It's about time I'd let you hear some of my progress I guess. Due to a busy time recently, I didn't find very much time and done some today again. I hope it'll be complete by tomorrow. This means that this upload isn't completed yet and can't be used or tested. All you can do so far is check out the way I triggered them. Lvl 2 and 3 are empty (except for the Event), but the Actions of Lvl 1 will be copied to those once I've completed those.

To-do list:
-Anti-leak
-Visual effects & damage

Attachments

• Spells & Systems Mini-Contest 16 - Bird Bombard v0.01.w3x
    32.7 KB · Views: 39
Level 13
the keeper of the grove poison thing looked like bomberman's bombs...it was really cool...but like yeah...overpowered probably haha...it's awesome though!

btw there is a really really cool keeper of the grove skin you should use with that test map...this guy...i think he might be called like reaper of the grove or something...let me go find the link.

ReaperoftheGrove1 - The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site
yeah just take a look at that dude's face...i was totally gonna use this skin as a demon for my demon hunt map but the file size was getting way too big...

Level 22
My spell should be done now, but I've encountered a weird bug... My spell creates a ring of trees and baths the enemies inside in acid and after some time the trees are removed, but if I cast the spell more than once all trees aren't destroyed. I didn't have this bug before, but it came when I decided to use a dummy unit as acid instead of very many special effects which lag.

Attachments

• Nature's Wrath.w3x
    28.3 KB · Views: 33
Level 23
Okay, reviewing time for me since I'm taking a break from my own spell. Its soon done btw =)

And I will only review the five latest ones at the moment. Sorry for that people :/ (gotta get back cosing.)

@Paladon: The spell effects are sweet and the knockback pwns. But it started to be buggy when I tested it. The enemy casting the spell as well is not attacking me. In fact his birds are healing me too.
attachment.php

Also, Begins casting an ability is not reliable and could glitch too. For instance it could happend that you become stunned before all the cooldown/mana cost is applied/removed on the hero, allowing you to make a free cast again. I suggest like always 'Unit starts the effect of an ability'.
The tooltip is also huge... You should find a better one :d

The_Reborn_Devil: Cool 'acid' :] a good idea to use the moonwell pool for that. I do experience your buh, yet I dont know why, so I cant help at that point :/
The tooltip should say more on the 'learn' button like the usual spells are. Add level 1, 2 perhaps.
The idea, it might not be the most original one. For instance another participant (forgotten the name) has made a ring with trees like that as well, but with lightning damamging enemies. I think you can find it in the beginning of this contest.

Avator: Oh dear :D I think you should find a better way of initializing all these actions. I know you mentioned the leaks already so I guess you shall remove them.
Now, you have 10 bird on lvl 1, 20 birds on lvl 2 and 50 birds on lvl 3?
Basically you could make a formula of that... (if you set 40 instead of 50 for instance, the formula would be Total Birds = 10 * 2^(level-1)
Basically, you could replace all your darn actions^^ by doing:
  • Bird Bombard activation
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Bird Bombard
    • Actions
      • Set MaxBirds = (10 + (Integer((Power(2.00, ((Real((Level of (Ability being cast) for (Triggering unit)))) - 1.00))))))
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to MaxBirds, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set AttackPoint[BirdBombardPlayer[(Integer A)]] = ((Target point of ability being cast) offset by (Random real number between 0.00 and 1000.00) towards (Random real number between 0.00 and 360.00) degrees)
          • Set BirdBombardPlayer[(Integer A)] = (Player number of (Owner of (Casting unit)))
          • Set BirdBombardCaster[BirdBombardPlayer[(Integer A)]] = (Casting unit)
          • Set TempStartRegion[BirdBombardPlayer[(Integer A)]] = (Region(((Target point of ability being cast) offset by (1000.00, 250.00)), ((Target point of ability being cast) offset by (1200.00, -250.00))))
That should work just fine =) Dont forget the leaks!
The tooltip needs reworking too. but I guess that goes under 'visual effects'.
Hm, with or without my way I get no units spawned at all... :s It could either be my wc3 since I set everything on lowest performance and somehow hides the effects, or you havent done them finished like you said.

Berz: Not alot to say here about the coding^^. Its not a remarkable huge script so to speak:p. You should still remove some Bjs though. GetUnitLifePercent(ut) returns GetUnitStatePercent(ut, UNIT_STATE_LIFE, UNIT_STATE_MAX_LIFE) so you could replace the first with that one (Its still a bj though).
JASS:
function SetUnitAbilityLevelSwapped takes integer abilcode, unit whichUnit, integer level returns integer
    return SetUnitAbilityLevel(whichUnit, abilcode, level)
endfunction
function GetUnitAbilityLevelSwapped takes integer abilcode, unit whichUnit returns integer
    return GetUnitAbilityLevel(whichUnit, abilcode)
endfunction
Replace those Bjs as well!

Joe-Black-5: Its a neat spell but not very original. It doesnt have that much effects and look like the Earthshakers Fissure spell but with trees. Overall it is well done, but it doesnt have that much code either :/

Attachments

• imgA.JPG
    imgA.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 176
Level 17
Ok, i've practically finished my spell. The only things i need to fix is tooltip, a leak or two and a thing i'm unable to solve on my own:

(After checking my trigger) How can i check who is putting the buff on the unit and keep it MUI, because as it is now the leeched unit is killing himself.

The reason i'm not fixing these things now is that i'm going to a party now, i'll be back in a few hours.

EDIT: Updated it, check my newer post.

Last edited:
Level 12
@Eccho: Fix the trigger Avator :p You have one '+' after 10, instead of '*' ;)

I am not participating. I just see no point for me to do so, cause for me the whole contest is just coming up with a good idea. Instead of doing something connected with nature I created a Multiple Chain Attack(Barrage + Chain attack).

Anyways, it is nice to see such a huge interest in the contest. Some really nice spells too ;)

Level 18
@Eccho: Thanks for the tip, but I'll probably keep it with this, so it's very clearly to read (even though there are a lot of bird)

Anyway: I'm struggling with a big amount of problems and will without a doubt not be able to finish it today. This means I'm out of the contest. Good luck to everybody else though!

Level 23
Spiwn, yeah I mistyped that. And its ashame you dont participate either.

Avator, aww :/

May both of you have the force with you for the next contest though =)
My code has changed dramatically since yesterday. It kind of look the same still though.
Ill post you a screenie in a moment. (Dont want to release the spell yet as the code is rather messy atm^^)

Level 18
Let's hope the theme will be a bit easier to come up with original idea's, because I think nearly everyone had some problems with coming up with an original idea for Nature, since most are like attacking trees and vines, but they're already made by Blizzard xD

Level 23
Then I guess you have to blaim me then, although I had huge difficulties thinking of a unique nature spell as well^^

How about Nature?

The contestants must create a spell with the aspects of nature?
Like, Lifeflower, Lifebeam, Natural Essence... and such names.
Yeah,Nature sounds ok, at least we have a contest :D
Yeah nature sounds good, its broad enough, and still has a strong theme
Yeah, its good. :)
[...]

Edit:
Ok, i've practically finished my spell. The only things i need to fix is tooltip, a leak or two and a thing i'm unable to solve on my own:

(After checking my trigger) How can i check who is putting the buff on the unit and keep it MUI, because as it is now the leeched unit is killing himself.

The reason i'm not fixing these things now is that i'm going to a party now, i'll be back in a few hours.
Have fun! I will look through the spell if I have time. I am getting alittle stressed about my own now :_:

Level 18
No blaming, but I disagree with Herman xD

PS: Life is not very much related to nature. If life would count, then you can also count death and pretty much everything that you see in the real world, since everything in the world is made by nature. Directly or indirectly.

Level 23
Well, Life is related to nature as a 'Lifebloom' for instance. Sure, life could be something else, but if we say the term Biology it means 'the tought of life' And I think plants and nature fits that;)

Anywho here is a small wip on the spell.

And jonnny you're right... we only got *7 hours left.

Attachments

• spell.JPG
    spell.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 107
Level 22
YAY! I managed to fix my bug.
Nature's Wrath

Creates a ring of trees around the target point that traps units inside
while acid on the ground deals massive damage to the enemy units.
Level 1: Deals 60 hp every second. Lasts 5 seconds.
Level 2: Deals 80 hp every second. Lasts 10 seconds
Level 3: Deals 100 hp every second. Lasts 15 seconds.

Attachments

• Nature's Wrath.w3x
    29.5 KB · Views: 44
Level 15
So... unfortunately im still not finished..
Anyway , bas concept is finished but there seems to be a lil problem with the map
I got no motivation left to work on this Spell anymore for today, also im on a Lan Party
Me playing CS now

Hese what ive got

Attachments

• S&S Mini-Contest 16 - -JonNnys Man Eating Plant.w3x
    42.7 KB · Views: 62
Level 23
Okay guys, I am just in time... Just because of that I am sure I forgot something... Its been a stressed day.

Requires JNGP and a GC utility which I made for it.

have fun, and gl all

Edit: DARN... I forgot one tiny call :/

Attachments

• SSMC#16 - Eccho.w3x
    86.9 KB · Views: 43
Level 6

Attachments

• S&S Mini #16 Ancient's Fury.w3x
    32.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Level 15
Oh damn :( I am late. Nevermind, I hope PurplePoot will still accept my entry, I submitted mine 3 hours late last contest and he still accepted it (GO PURPLEPOOT! :D)
Anyway, its about the same, just changed some special effects and stuff.
PS: Does Destructible Groups leak?

Attachments

• Spells&Systems Mini-Contest #16- Rejuvenation Dust.w3x
    39.6 KB · Views: 34
Level 9
Level 23
PS: Does Destructible Groups leak?
I dont think they are. I mean, there is no handle except a destructable array which can store destructables. Thus, picking a destructable is basically picking every destructable within the desired rect starting on the destructable with the lowest handle index. But no, they do not return any type of group.

Edit: And Jonnny, it looks like there is an issue with your map. I cant test it or resave it in jngp. :l

Last edited:
Level 14
-JonNny said:
So... unfortunately im still not finished..
Anyway , bas concept is finished but there seems to be a lil problem with the map
I got no motivation left to work on this Spell anymore for today, also im on a Lan Party
Me playing CS now

TheBlooddancer said:
Hese what ive got
I cant open it, and it crashes my warcraft

Just rename the file (like for example in "lll"), then you can test it.

Level 23
Hanky, thanks that really helped.

Jonnny too bad you didnt have time to finnish it. It looks really great so far. Heh I know you didnt have time to finnish it, but if you are, here are some points to think of.
*It targets your own units.
*It targets dead units
*The attack animation only works first time. After that it instantly gets the target unit and plays the 'drag animation'.

Level 12
Hopefully this will be accepted although it is a bit late

Attachments

• SSMC #16 - WispRedemption.w3x
    41 KB · Views: 51

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Heres mine, no idea weather it will be axcepted or not as I thought it was ending at midnight on sunday (Sunday -> monday) not midnight on saturday (Saturday -> Sunday).
Thus I thought I had today to finish it, turned out it was due yesterday.

A lot of the commenty is lacking as far as the actual spell code goes, but all the modifiable constants were commented.

Thus I present my entry. Apparently bug and lag free.

Attachments

• Natures Aid V1.0.w3x
    44.6 KB · Views: 138
Level 12
I think it should be due for today.
Meaning there are 2 more hours. Logically, since the contest is 2 weeks.
But that is just me :p

Status
Not open for further replies.