• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Siberian Wilderness

Map Description:

Abandoned in the wilderness of Siberia, you need to adapt to the local circumstances regarding the areas of arctic, temperate and hot-dry climate. Creatures were able to acclimatise, why shouldn't you?

General Information:

Siberian Wilderness is a standard melee map with 4 players at max.

This is the second melee map I made and it mainly focuses on terrain from different tilesets. The inspiration for this map was Siberia in Russia, with its different climate zones (which is also my birth place). I also tried to adjust the creeps regarding the local temperatures with Frost Wolves in the arctic areas and Timber Wolves in warmer ones, etc. As I personally don’t know any melee maps which focus on such a twist that intensively, I thought I should just give it a go myself.

This map has a total amount of:
12 green camps
14 yellow camps
2/6 red camps (depending on Game Mode)

This map also features:

1 Tavern
2 Goblin Shops
4 Mercenary Camps
4 Goblin Laboratories
8 Gold Mines

Update:

1.1:

- Moved the Goblin Laboratory from the corner islands to in front of the bridges
- Changed the creepset at the Goblin Laboratory
- Changed the creepset next to the natural expansion (yellow to green)
- Removed some trees at the starting positions, natural expansions and certain creep camps
- changed the critters in the arctic region (from dog to seal)
- some minor visual changes

1.2:

- flattened the terain to avoid sharp terrain parts
- removed the islands and bridges in the corners

1.3:

- complete rework
Contents

Siberian Wilderness (Map)

Reviews
Knecht
Hey there, looks good, I like the simplicity of the terrain. The easter egg is hilarious :cgrin: The layout is nice, open. There were only two things that bugged me. First, the Goblin Labs are way too far to be worth it. Second, you put most of the...
deepstrasz
Some changes made, Approved. (previous comments: Siberian Wilderness)
Level 22
Hey there, looks good, I like the simplicity of the terrain. The easter egg is hilarious :cgrin:

The layout is nice, open. There were only two things that bugged me. First, the Goblin Labs are way too far to be worth it. Second, you put most of the stuff too deep into the trees - bases, expos, creep camps... the merc camps don't have much space in between the trees to maneuver. Also, the trees have free space between them (press P for viewing pathing).

Some creep camps have item drops that might be too strong for their level (looking at the level 4 drops). The dragons at the base creep camps are different. Each color of dragons has different stats - armor type, attack type etc., the differences are minor but still might be imbalanced. Same goes for bears (hp), not sure about furbolgs.

The water around the tavern is a nice thing. Breaks the "farm/wisp at the tavern" meta. There's some neat concepts on this map. The red camp placement is interesting too (mostly for HU players :cgrin: ), as it is the nearest camp to the base.

Level 7
Hey there Knecht,

thanks for your feedback. I am quite happy that you have left some kind words concerning my map.

Now to the two disturbing factors of yours: Actually those were the two things which were the only thorns in my flesh as well.

Having those large tree lines, which also make the travelling distances further I thought about cutting of 1/3 of those off multiple times. This could also help with the other big issue: the quite distant Goblin Laboratories.

I thought of deleting the bridges and putting the laboratories between the two gold mines for example. Another idea was to swap the red camp next to the bases with the goblin lab camps.

As I was not completely satisfied with those approaches I did not implement any of these yet.

I agree that the level 4 item drops might be a bit strong regarding those two creep camps. I think they are still more or less balanced and I also tried to avoid having too many level 3 drops so that there is some variety in the item drops.

As far as the spaces between the trees are concerned, I actually chose to have some spaces between those here and there as I thought it would look better and more “natural” than having them neatly arranged. But there might be an issue besides visual appeal which I did not consider.

Having creeps which are not completely interchangeable (dragons and bears) I thought that it would not be that imbalanced so that I would have to scrap the idea. As those two are the strongest creep camps I suppose that it would not be noticeable that much as you would need an army in fighting shape anyway to clear the camps. Furthermore, the different dragon types have also been used in a map which is called “Nomad Isles”. This one has been played competitively in minor tournaments so I guessed that a small amount of imbalance would not be that much of an issue when even pros consider it acceptable.

I would be grateful if other members could provide me with some feedback regarding the map itself and the ideas mentioned above as I am still an absolute beginner in creating melee maps. Any other kind of reply will be welcomed and also a big shoutout to Knecht for expressing his thoughts.

Level 22
Well, for a "beginner" it's a very solid map. You could gladly join the 2v2 contest that's going on right now (though you'd have to team up or be put on the waiting list) Melee Mapping Contest #4 - 2v2

I guess the minor differences in creeps aren't too much of a deal. And the item drops are probably ok after a closer look. Btw, here are some pretty good guides for melee if you wonder about something:
Competitive Melee Map
Melee mapping - The reasons behind common aspects of competitive 1v1 maps

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
  1. Avoid sharp terrain parts over which units can walk over. It looks weird and they might obstruct visibility during battle when units are on them. Use the smoothing terrain tool. Most of the map has these weird formations. Read the terraining guides bellow.
  2. Serves no purpose to get past the bridges (at the back of the Goblin Laboratories). At least a green camp there?
  3. Avoid using non-neutral units as neutral passive, especially those with attack capability.

Awaiting Update.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Paillan
twojstaryjakcie
Daffa the Mage
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Level 7
Thanks for the feedback, deepstrasz.

1. I will work on the terrain to have it leveled. I did not know that some visual issues could occur during fights.
2. As I used pretty much any of the item sets with the present creep camps, I decided to not add another creep camp with an item set which is already used. I might just remove the islands completely as the island creep camps would also be very distant.
3. This was an easter egg I decided to implement. If there are no game afflicting issues, I would rather keep it in the map because Arthas and Jaina are my two favourite characters of the Warcraft lore.

A reply or any other kind of feedback will be appreciated.