• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Shrek Tag

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Disclaimer: This map is just for the memes and lolz, it is not meant to be cutting edge design/gameplay. If you do not like autistic burps, it may not be perfectly suited for you(maybe)
Update: completely remade, changed the whole map, added retarded burps, players reduced to 5
How to play: use mining help ability early on to get gold quickly
If a player gets caught, you can rescue them by moving your builder in the center of the map
Do not block the shreks, mazing works way better (their acquisition range is about 1000, so try walling off all acces points to the high ground except for one, place some towers/units behind your walls, and they will circle the entire cliff in order to reach their highest priority target)
keep in mind that the enemies' target priority is attacking unit->attacking structure->non attacking unit->worker->non attacking structure, so you will have to place a tower/unit behind your wall

Shrek models made by StefanK and tillinghast
Onion mine model made by electrione
The awesome turtle artillery was made by bakr
Previews
Contents

Shrek Tag Xtreme Burps (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
The terrain is quite plain and the map isn't anything new from all the Vampirism/Tag genre ones. The map thread description isn't really helping. A credits list in the map description with the names of the authors whose resources you've used is...
Level 3
Having played this for a couple of hours now, worth noting that it was solo.

This map is a clear step back from kodo tag, the idea's behind kodo tag is that you can maze yourself out of situations, and juggle the kodo's, if a player does it well he is rewarded later on, in this map you cant juggle, the shreks attack any and every building they can get to, sometimes even over the main builder, this makes this map unbearebly frustrating.

The first wave of shreks that can use bloodlust will tear down any defence pretty quick, getting upgraded defences costs a fortune meaning you are pretty much doomed at that stage unless you somehow have managed to get about 3k gold at this point, which i might add is almost impossible.

The idea to have some buildings be 2x2 and some be 3x3 is also maddening to me keep it simple, i dont have time to count tiles while shreks are banging on my walls.

The best way i found so far to actually beat the map, is to never base, basing in this map is like i've stated almost impossible, (though might be easier to do with more people, im not sure) and then run around the map, kiting the shreks early is easy and should they get a little close pop down a free wall and run, they seem to get confused when killing a sole building not knowing what to do, i even saw that they all turned around to go to the middle to reset sometimes.

The map needs balancing to go from 100 gold for the barraks to 900 gold for the upgrade center is too much of a jump in a map which i assume is made around basing getting your important buildings is crucial but just being able to get it the moment the game throws hard enemies at you is rediculous.

All in all i can see the map working but you need to balance it for now i give it 2 out of 5 as it does have potential to work.

Level 5

This map is a clear step back from kodo tag, the idea's behind kodo tag is that you can maze yourself out of situations, and juggle the kodo's, if a player does it well he is rewarded later on, in this map you cant juggle, the shreks attack any and every building they can get to, sometimes even over the main builder, this makes this map unbearebly frustrating.

The first wave of shreks that can use bloodlust will tear down any defence pretty quick, getting upgraded defences costs a fortune meaning you are pretty much doomed at that stage unless you somehow have managed to get about 3k gold at this point, which i might add is almost impossible.

The idea to have some buildings be 2x2 and some be 3x3 is also maddening to me keep it simple, i dont have time to count tiles while shreks are banging on my walls.

The best way i found so far to actually beat the map, is to never base, basing in this map is like i've stated almost impossible, (though might be easier to do with more people, im not sure) and then run around the map, kiting the shreks early is easy and should they get a little close pop down a free wall and run, they seem to get confused when killing a sole building not knowing what to do, i even saw that they all turned around to go to the middle to reset sometimes.

The map needs balancing to go from 100 gold for the barraks to 900 gold for the upgrade center is too much of a jump in a map which i assume is made around basing getting your important buildings is crucial but just being able to get it the moment the game throws hard enemies at you is rediculous.

All in all i can see the map working but you need to balance it for now i give it 2 out of 5 as it does have potential to work.
Thanks for the review, but i honestly doubt you used mazing and aggro priorities properly. I playtested the map solo and in 2 players and with the right strategy and good micro it works just fine. It s a great ideea to make archers, since shreks will prioritise them over all buildings, and dont make more than 1 or 2 rows of towers near your walls(this will prompt them to attack since they cant path to the towers). Also, i made towers that dont cost food 3x3 because they are cheaper and easier to mass, so that players will have to manage supply properly in order to deal good damage. If done properly, a single player can defend a base with 5 gold mines and win the game. On the other hand, figuring a good strategy and mazing pattern can be somewhat difficult, since the enemies are pretty harsh to fight, i didnt intend this map to be easy. Anyway, thanks for your feedback, i will release and easier version in which players can win without being super tryhard(maybe cheaper upg center, cheaper upgrades and units, and weaker/less enemies)

Level 5

All in all i can see the map working but you need to balance it for now i give it 2 out of 5 as it does have potential to
In this replay you can see me soloing it.(1.26)

Attachments

• SHREK.w3g
    263.3 KB · Views: 14
Level 3
In this replay you can see me soloing it.(1.26)

Sadly i cant watch this due to version differences.

Thanks for the review, but i honestly doubt you used mazing and aggro priorities properly. I playtested the map solo and in 2 players and with the right strategy and good micro it works just fine. It s a great ideea to make archers, since shreks will prioritise them over all buildings, and dont make more than 1 or 2 rows of towers near your walls(this will prompt them to attack since they cant path to the towers). Also, i made towers that dont cost food 3x3 because they are cheaper and easier to mass, so that players will have to manage supply properly in order to deal good damage. If done properly, a single player can defend a base with 5 gold mines and win the game. On the other hand, figuring a good strategy and mazing pattern can be somewhat difficult, since the enemies are pretty harsh to fight, i didnt intend this map to be easy. Anyway, thanks for your feedback, i will release and easier version in which players can win without being super tryhard(maybe cheaper upg center, cheaper upgrades and units, and weaker/less enemies)

You speak of mazing, but every attempt i made trying to maze, well frankly the shreks didnt seem to care and just went nuts on my walls no matter how many different ways i tried to maze they always just started to hit the wall the moment they got close to it, with or without towers, dont know if that's different than what happens to you, but if it can happen to me it can happen to others, which is the base for my frustrations with the map, if mazing worked, i might end up liking the map, but it doesn't work, the shreks attack my walls and rip them apart. wether this could be due to the version differences, i dont know. i'll eventually end up spending some more time on the map, try more things and hell maybe end up working it out one way or another.

Level 5
This is what i meant. The blue paths are the paths that shreks take usually when they want to attack stuff. The red paths are when they switch aggro and get redirected. Notice the 2 archers(on the right and left of the hill), they are the number 1 attack priority for the shreks, so they will try to run towards the archers when they get attacked by them(having the range increase upgrade is very important for this).this will result in the shreks going through your maze, ignoring the walls/towers unless they get blocked. Notice how the walls from the left and right(the ones with red paths) only have one row of towers. It works this way: shreks aggo onto the wall and they go to attack it, but then they get in range of the towers, the towers hit them, and because towers have a higher priority than non attacking buildings, the shreks will switch aggro, and turn around. Once they reach the concentration point(where the red paths meet the primary blue path)the archers will hit them, causing them to aggro onto the archers, and follow the blue path through your maze. It is very important to build only ONE row of towers if there are no archers present, because otherwise shreks will attack the wall( im too lazy to explain why, just trust me). The late game is very micro heavy, with shreks permanently casting spells on your towers, you will need advanced builders with the advanced repair ability to take care of this and the tower regen upg. If you want i can make a solo player brief guide to walk you through the early game.
ShrekGuide.jpg

Level 5
Sadly i cant watch this due to version differences.

You speak of mazing, but every attempt i made trying to maze, well frankly the shreks didnt seem to care and just went nuts on my walls no matter how many different ways i tried to maze they always just started to hit the wall the moment they got close to it, with or without towers, dont know if that's different than what happens to you, but if it can happen to me it can happen to others, which is the base for my frustrations with the map, if mazing worked, i might end up liking the map, but it doesn't work, the shreks attack my walls and rip them apart. wether this could be due to the version differences, i dont know. i'll eventually end up spending some more time on the map, try more things and hell maybe end up working it out one way or another.
Here is an easier version in case you need to practice.Also, you can use the code "cheat69" to get unlimited wood/gold in case you need to practice various mazes. Hope it helps

Attachments

• ShreksEasy.w3x
    3.9 MB · Views: 17

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
The terrain is quite plain and the map isn't anything new from all the Vampirism/Tag genre ones.
The map thread description isn't really helping.
A credits list in the map description with the names of the authors whose resources you've used is mandatory. That includes models, skins, icons, custom spells, systems. Also, sounds, music and everything outside this site.
Mines have a missing tooltip. Similarly, the Advanced Builder's Blink doesn't have a tooltip.
The Advanced Builder isn't really useful when what he builds is nothing new. Also, the unit's icon position is moving when the researches in the Upgrade Center are finished.

Substandard.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Paillan
Alexen
eubz
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/