1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Proposal for More Responsible Staff Members

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by ~Void~, Jul 18, 2012.

1. ~Void~

~Void~

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Honestly, whenever I come back to check on you guys, I see the same damn thing every single time.

There's always some ridiculous, childish, silly, and insignificant drama going on. Whether it's fighting in chat, fighting in SD, fighting in OT, fighting in MT, whining about power abuse and playing Che Guevara with the moderators, it's always the same circle-jerk -- to put it quite frankly, a bunch of socially-challenged nerdy teenagers reinforcing each other's immature ideas of community. And every time it happens, some moderator with a stick up his/her arse comes and swings the ban hammer a few times to make sure they piss off all the kids nice and good. It's the same thing as bad parenting. You don't smack your kids, you teach them. Likewise, the people who cause this sort of drama need to know WHY, and I mean EXACTLY WHY, they shouldn't be doing it, and they need to see exactly how destructive it is to the community. Then, if they still don't learn, you swing the ban hammer. Maybe this is already going on, but it's quite clear that the staff here isn't doing a good enough job.

I was here as a kid, since I was 13, and believe me I stirred up my fair share of childish drama. I got banned for it like, 5 times? The message here is not that Hive shouldn't be for kids; it's a great place for kids, but we really need to let the adults run the show.

Although I've been out of the loop for a while, I don't think I'm too far off in saying that a lot of the staff members here have not yet had the real life experience required to manage a community like this. It is also quite clear that Ralle has very little hold if any over the community. I'm not saying he's a bad webmaster, but real life means you can't always be keeping track of a bunch of kiddies on the internet.

Back in my day, people complained about Wolverabid's absence, and I joined them because I trusted that he was a good admin. Now I know why. He was mature, caring, patient, firm, and responsible, and he was like a father to this community.

I propose a series of intensive video chat skype interviews for all prospective staff members. I know that when I was much younger and looking at a spot as Terrain Moderator, all I really cared about was the power and importance that the rank would get me. Nobody knew who the hell I was as a person, and I think if Ralle had seen my face or talked to me in person for even a minute, he'd have been like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE!!!:goblin_boom:

So let's learn from our mistakes, and choose more responsible staff members who know how to deal with children, because things really do seem to have gotten out of hand lately. No more "I'm more important than you are and don't have to take your crap" bans, no more make-believe power-structure masturbation, and no more downright stupid authoritative practices.

---

Edit: After reading up a bit more on what's been going on, I understand that Ralle is already doing a very good job working through this situation. However, we cannot leave it up to him. Yes, he's the webmaster; yes, it's his job. As community members, it's our job too. No more of this "hive's dying" crap, because it is complete and total sh*t and it's destructive to the community. Whining is just going to prolong the issues here. Hive needs reform, so let's start working on it from the ground up, so hopefully we can meet Ralle and the rest of the administrators somewhere in the middle. That's the quickest and best way to work through this bullsh*t and ensure the survival of our beloved site. I did a lot of growing up here and believe me I'm not letting this place die without a heartfelt effort.

---

I shouldn't have to remind you not to post in this thread unless you have a well-thought-out response to my argument.

THIS IS NOT A THREAD TO NOMINATE PEOPLE FOR STAFF POSITIONS.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  2. Skycraft

Skycraft

Resources:
    Resources:
    I support this notion; having someone in charge of keeping the kiddies in line would be great.

3. SA Dashie

SA Dashie

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Eghh, you know that others can learn from such experience at an earlier age and that with each individual person they also mature faster/differently.
    What I am saying in this context is that not every one is the same so I don't realy see why there should be a legitimate age limit on an age staff member limit as instead they should be up to the specifications regardless of age as I am sure when Ralle considers a user up for a promotion would be precariously be wachted by there activity.
    I am also sure that a lot of people here don't realy act the age they say they are.

4. ~Void~

~Void~

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You're right, but Hive doesn't have the manpower to do that kind of thing. It's too much effort. Sometimes you have to cut corners.

Moreover, if there's one thing I've observed having been here for over five years, it's that Ralle is never and probably will never be around enough to handle promotions properly. He may be the webmaster, but at least up until a year or so ago, it was always the admins who took care of that kind of stuff behind the scenes.

We need someone who is willing to devote the time to individually scrutinize every prospective staff member to a very high but reasonable standard of quality, as opposed to the current quite low standard.

5. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What does age limit have to do with being responsible, having a stable self-image and all the 'etc.' that are implied by it? A person of 18 years old doesn't automatically become someone who offers the 'quality' you are referring to. It takes years and struggles before you realize who and what you are. 'kid' is a rushed term to throw it here and there, instead of using what you're actually pointing: the immaturity of the target person.

And by the way, just because maturity is indirectly mentioned, it doesn't mean that the person who invokes it for discussion is mature enough. And no, I am not referring to you specifically, at all.

6. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    An age limit won't do much good. I've got one good example, someone with a very long list of power abuse and harassment, who still hasn't been dealt with. You have to be mature, level-headed and, well, intelligent.

Being over 18 doesn't mean you're not rash, impulsive, or more bluntly, an idiot. Still, the trolls on the other hand, are an entirely different matter, people who may be all the things you'd need in a staff member, or any sort of authority figure, but they're either so sick in the head, or so disassociated with the community, that they just don't care.

7. Silverfish423

Silverfish423

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well if you are going to have video skype sessions to help determine the qualifications of a certain individual...I'd say that the 18 year old requirement would be used as a sort of guide so that 25 year olds aren't skyping 12 year olds. It'd be more of a privacy/safety precaution

8. Karawasa

Karawasa

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hey thank you for doing the terrain for my map back in the day. It was good stuff. With that said, keep on dreaming buddy. What mature person would want to spend his time shepherding the cesspool of immaturity this place has become?

9. Mecheon

Mecheon

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I was under 18 for some of my tenture here. I was just, y'know, mature

10. ~Void~

~Void~

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If everyone in this thread is going to babble about how some people under 18 are mature, I'm going to request it be closed.

YOU'RE MISSING THE F*CKING POINT

I put it there for a reason, but as reading that line clearly went to people's heads, I edited it out of my post. Now get back on topic.

11. Magtheridon96

Magtheridon96

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Interviews you say?
    I'm ambivalent here because this wouldn't actually help us choose the best moderators, it would only help us filter out the really terrible ones.

12. Bugz

Bugz

Resources:
    Maps:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    And that's not a start maggy? - not really that i think interviews should be done.

~Void~
    -More resposible staff is indeed required, however you state that people under 18 are immature, not all kids are like that.
    Also just to point out, you should know that like 75% of the banned users (recently) are most likely around 18 or over.

13. Kingz

Kingz

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    While i admire that more people are trying to contribute to the community now, i doubt most of these threads will be open for a long time, speaking from the recent events and the picture they represent.

Tho very few will ever fill in the shoes of the past generation.
    Ralle has to accept that special people sometimes come with a slight offset in personality and that everyone carries something from the past, sometimes good, sometimes bad.

Anyhow, you have my support, for whatever it is worth. Not that i care much anymore.

14. 1)ark_NiTe

1)ark_NiTe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I think it's a great idea. Nothing to do with age but you can definitely get a much better sense of someones character, even if the video interview is only 5-10 minutes long. It's hard for me to imagine how the site fell into such irresponsible hands. I bet that it wouldn't have gone down the same way if we had a policy like this one.

15. ~Void~

~Void~

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Where in my post did I state that? I think, if you actually READ IT, you'll find that I stated the exact opposite.

It's due to this kind of crap that the Site Discussion forum is a sh*thole.

Don't open your mouth in a discussion unless you know what other people are talking about.

There are a lot of those.

Thank you for your support. It's actually rather easy for me to imagine, however. Ralle has a life, maybe the other admins do, maybe they don't. AFK admins is the problem. We need people who give a sh*t and it's sad for me to see that those people are few and far between these days.

16. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Ahem. Senior member here.

And unlike certain examples, I'm sensible enough to not abuse power. Like certain examples, who shall not be named.

17. ~Void~

~Void~

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Prove it.

Also, don't be afraid to name names. Nothing's going to happen around here if we don't call out the people who aren't doing a good enough job.

And a message to anyone who gets it in their head to try and censor that sort of thing no matter what their rank: Hive WILL die if censorship becomes/continues to be a regular practice.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  18. anarchianbedlam

anarchianbedlam

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I can personally vouch for vermi here. He is responsible, sensible, incorruptible and would never abuse power. I may not be a mod anymore, but I would personally like to support my good friend vermillion here for a staff position. He has lots of experience with both modeling and texturing, he continuously produces quality work so he definitely knows what he is talking about. I've seen him help out new members with questions numerous times and I know he would donate his extensive experience and valuable time to help improve and heal this great community. He would be a great addition to our fine staff.

19. The Dark Wizard

The Dark Wizard

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Guys lets not stray off topic please, complaining about former staff members is not the purpose of this thread.

20. Crayons

Crayons

Resources:
    Resources:
    kids are family friendly.
    most kids are immature.

be sensibly non-family friendly = you are mature.

and all those sensibly non-family friendly people got banned from this site due to being detrimental to the site's health.

so yeah, if I call that the kid needs inspiration because his naruto spelpax idea wasn't good = I am not family friendly