1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The 13th Music Contest Poll is up! Vote for the best tracks in this symphony of frost and flame.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Proposal for More Responsible Staff Members

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by ~Void~, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Kitabatake

Kitabatake

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    That is true, moderators cannot let criticism affect their performance.

However, it would be a catastrophe to have moderators who haven't earned respect in their fields.

Could you imagine a map moderator who has not uploaded a map himself?
    Could you imagine a model moderator who has not proven his skills in modelling?
    Could you imagine a community moderator who has not participated in the community?

But luckily Hive would never stoop so low to allow anything like that to happen.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  2. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    That's true, of course, though if a model moderator continuously approved and rated resources fairly, and did it consistently, I doubt anyone would complain after too long.

3. Magtheridon96

Magtheridon96

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I feel like I'm being too harsh.
    I've moderated about 72-ish resources so far, and less than 10 were approved.

What does that lead anyone to deduce?
    Am I doing my job well, or not?

4. Asomath

Asomath

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well that's the thing Mag. As Vermillion said, as long as you’re reviewing consistently and fairly, that's how YOU gain respect. Though, it works in a slightly different way than with community moderators. You see, WE don't typically see the reviews and the spells that you reject. Typically, your connection to the community (besides the conversations you get in, and the spell questions you help out with) is relegated to between you and the creators of spells. Even if you have reviewed 80% of the pending spells as rejections, if you provided detailed reasons as to why you rejected the spell, as well as ways they could improve it so that it CAN be approved, then nobody is going to think you're being "unfairly harsh." You're just doing your job the best way that you can do it.

~Asomath

5. eubz

eubz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This I quote:
    A moderator should be very much skilled in his field. Not only because he is a well-known user. But, as far as I can say, the administrators, even the webmaster, know this fact that is why they DON'T get anyone who is not skilled to be a moderator.

Being a moderator would mean he has knowledge over the field he is taking over. I guess, though we already have the Resource moderators, they will not dare to moderate the section of which they are not skilled.

6. ~Void~

~Void~

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I understand what you're saying; however, one does not need to be an artist to appreciate good art. One does not need to be a developer to enjoy a good game at a critical level. Thus as long as a resource/map moderator has a firm grip on what qualities make a good resource or map, they are surely qualified to do their job properly.

---

On further note, I would like to speak out against all the ad-hominem bullshit I see going on in this thread. Seriously, I did not intend for this to be a discussion of who's doing their job right; those decisions are not ours to make. It is simply a discussion to figure out a plan for the future.

7. Nestharus

Nestharus

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    My thoughts on the matter:
    Anyone who is going after the moderator position simply for the position itself is not fit to be a moderator. Moderator = volunteering to better the community, so people who actually want to work at bettering the community are the people who should be in positions of power >.>.

For resource moderation, simply having skill in a field is not enough. The person needs to level-headed and again go for the position not out of want for power, but out of want to help others. I recall Dr Super Good always working to help others out, but he did abuse his power with a few pranks ; |.

I don't think interviews are necessary. If someone has enough support from respected members, that likely means that they are ok for the position. Take pharaoh_ for example. A lot of people supported pharaoh_ and wanted him to be a moderator for the Spells section. He's done an excellent job so far and accepted the position to help keep the pending resource queue down.

Magtheridon96 reviews resources virtually line by line to make sure that they have no issues. He also helps people improve at coding.

By looking at a member's history and support, one can tell whether they are right for the position are not =).

edit
    Oh yes, I also agree with Void about all of this drama being ridiculous. I also think that the situation wasn't handled that well, hence how the drama is continuing to spew >.<. I don't think that mass bans were necessarily the answer... gutting the community of its core members gives everyone the wrong impression, hence the current mass outcries ;|. Demoting them would have been a good answer and searching for new capable people would have also been a good answer. If they had trolled publicy and whined and cried, then banning them would have been good as the community would have then supported it, thus avoiding all of this needless drama.

Anywho... Ralle's the admin, so he can do whatever he wants. However, if he wants the site to continue to be a held up by a vibrant community, he must consider that a site is made up of its people, not of its owner =).

8. Kingz

Kingz

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The following sentence is not pointed towards Magtheridon96, only at the current situation.

One of the previous moderators has been demoted for trolling in the chat, yet afaik Magtheridon96 was once banned from chat because of trolling? (not witnessed by myself, but i did hear word of this)
    So that does bother me, it's presenting the image that not all are treated equally as users and the requirements for someone to be on the staff seem quite unclear to me at this point.

Edit:

Sorry if this is hurtful Magtheridon96, it's just a thing i heard and if it isn't true, i am sorry for bringing it up.

9. ~Void~

~Void~

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Bullshit. Abraham Lincoln ran for president, and he made a damn good one. What the hell is wrong with campaigning for a position? Sure, if all you want is the power, of course you're not fit for the position. That does not mean, however, that one cannot strive outwardly for it.

10. Nestharus

Nestharus

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Let's not derail the thread from its topic. I think you should start up a thread about how the rules should be applied equally to everyone. However, Ralle is always pushing that trend forward, so the thread isn't necessary ^_-.

edit
    He went for the position to attempt to change the country for the better, not because he wanted power. The phrase, "If I don't do it, who will" comes to mind.

11. ~Void~

~Void~

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Like many people here, you have too much faith in him. I believe he knows what he's doing, but any community is best run by both its leader and its members.

12. Nestharus

Nestharus

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Woops, I meant to say "already." If you read the last portion of my first reply to this, you'd see precisely what I think of Ralle ;p.

13. ~Void~

~Void~

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Oh, my bad. It was a bit confusing to read. :vw_wtf:

14. Nestharus

Nestharus

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Yea, I keep editing my posts and adding stuff on *ninja* *ninja*

: P

15. ~Void~

~Void~

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I think we ought to slow down a bit. There are too many people talking at once, and the thread is hardly coherent anymore. Needs a good cleaning.

16. Kingz

Kingz

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It seemed as a proper response since he is in fact in the staff and it would be nice to clear things up about it.
    Sorry if it derailed the thread offtopic.

Also you should point out that in order for the site to have a good staff, users should be able to trust the staff, which at this point a lot of us don't, and probably never will again.

17. Nestharus

Nestharus

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Read my first reply as it already covers that in a way (respected users supporting prospective new staff members).

18. Nestharus

Nestharus

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Completely untrue. Inexperience does not make a bad moderator. I'm more experienced than every resource coding moderator and I have submitted resources before that they are completely clueless on from lack of experience.

What would you do in those situations when the moderator isn't experienced enough to even know what the resource does? In those cases, they have just had to take me at my word. Some of them were common data structures, so I refused to write documentation on what they were and what they did, meaning that if they even wanted to know about it, they had to google it.

Moderators use the users + their own knowledge and expertise. Moderators grow over time, becoming more experienced in the field that they are moderating over. Moderators don't need to be masters, they need to be able to take the opinions of people + their own (if they have any) and weigh them all.

I'm a rare case since I'm usually the only one that even knows what my resource is. However, in cases where there are other users that do understand it, they can depend on the opinions of those other users.

Experience is not a necessity.

19. eubz

eubz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    EDIT:
    Sorry nes but I have deleted my post about this while ago.

Answering this your post, I guess, some users, like me would go into the profile of a user and look for whatever resource he has submitted and then I also have to find out if that user has been helping others for a while before he can gain trust from me. This is just me, I don't know for others.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  20. Nestharus

Nestharus

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Please don't derail the thread. There is an Admin Contact section where you can propose people to be moderators and why =).