• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Patch 1.31 announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
When i read the patch notes i understood .w3mod doenst exist, but u use .w3x or .w3m

I used to have my changed terrain patability here: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\war3.mpq\TerrainArt"

What do u mean with "placing them in installation folder"? That was the installation folder. I think maybe move the war3.mpq folder tu "C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\x86_64" could work...
I tried "war3" and "war3mod" with .w3m, w3x, mpq, war3mod; none of them work. Placing files in the main installation folder still works as long as Allow Local Files is enabled.

I really hope they fix this. Should be possible to have a folder for custom files without Allow Local Files. If multiplayer is a concern for this, they could simply disable it for multiplayer games.

Level 6
I tried "war3" and "war3mod" with .w3m, w3x, mpq, war3mod; none of them work. Placing files in the main installation folder still works as long as Allow Local Files is enabled.

I really hope they fix this. Should be possible to have a folder for custom files without Allow Local Files. If multiplayer is a concern for this, they could simply disable it for multiplayer games.

What do u mean by "in the main installation folder"? I had it there (or i think so):

upload_2019-6-1_6-44-53.png

upload_2019-6-1_6-45-38.png

upload_2019-6-1_6-45-53.png

But it no longer works. Maybe moving it to the x86_64 folder...

Btw, when i save the map in new WE, the names and strings of skills are all messed up. Even if it is the only w3 map in the folder... What a disaster Blizzard!

Level 6
This isn't the Reforged PTR or a game in beta. Warcraft 3 is a LIVE game.

Incidentally, you pointing fingers telling people they didn't test enough also applies to you. On this stance you also have to accept the responsibility for the failure as much as you want to blame it on everyone else. If you don't accept that then your stance is completely ridiculous.

And that's presuming Blizzard is actually bothering to fix what's being reported or knows how.

Pay attention to my early post. Probably I tried to report on the Blizzard forum (Battle.net). After that, writing the same post as here "for this post" I was blocked on the battel.net until 3019y. And this is all thanks for the fact that I once created Dota, amazed the MOBA genre and supported its 10th anniversary - this is a tremendous work for which I did not receive any money. but all and sundry, including Blizzard and Valve, take my DotA to themselves and monitor it, and you need to understand that there is monopolization and fraud on the part of these companies. No, probably you are not right and the existing people in a blizzard not from Blizzard, but the newcomers from Activision assimilated and usurped the Blizzard company, from which only one name left these people to do cramodyning - and all for profit (the prices for their games are fantastic and unacceptable now and the quality ir leaves much to be desired, their games have become short and unfinished but they are advertised and sold as full-fledged games). How could this be allowed? And yes, that is what a live game, or rather “PAID” is, once upon a time you paid for the purchase of a CD-Key and a purchase and sale agreement was drawn up, where now I would call it a brazen legal violation with the client and the end user. Since the terms of her own Blizzard user agreement with the client violate but in cases where she refers to the fact that it was a long time ago. But a long time did excuse. This is permissible only if the game was free and the game is paid and you need to understand it! It is enough to understand that the map created in the earlier version of the editor "WORKS" in the Game of Warcraft 3 -1.31. Only those versions of the maps do not work and have some problems created in the version of World Edit 1.31. Blizzard has never listened to anyone and I have already read it from their technical support, which is at odds with the policies of the developers. Employees of the battel.net in the administration have no relation to the developers of Blizzard, moreover, they do not give them your letters and brazenly block you on the forums while receiving huge money for their idleness and the disease of megalomania. And here you need to understand that existing developers have nothing to do with the creators of Warcraft 3, because even I have more to do with them than those who are now, but during all this time I have received more than one invitation to go to Blizzard and most importantly Blizzard you never I tried to establish a dialogue with me and the official representatives of Battle.net, who seem to be Blizzard, always refer to the fact that they are not Blizzard, so who are they?
Head to these guys to heal. it is necessary to understand that the people who are now purposefully going to work in this company, again from the megalomania or because of the money, they do not care for their players and community. And the main thing is that the worst thing has happened has happened where the history of warcraft is going to be rewritten on WoW, but it should be understood that in the history of WoW there are many inconsistencies and turbidity such as for example illidan dies Illidan rises, artes dies artes resurrects and every addition after Burning Crusage and Lich King plagiarizes itself because at that time that team that created World of Warcraft collapsed and then a completely different development team was recruited that started to plagiarize itself from its early team. and it turned out that the illadan died from the beginning and then was resurrected like the artes then then in Blizzard the colossal problems started. And I consider it a fatal mistake to change the history of Warcraft which is just reliable in comparison to the one that World of Warcraft gives - where there are a lot of inconsistencies that completely kill the game, for example, the store in Diablo3 which kills the ROS supplement was killed. You need to understand that Diablo3 was less or less a good game with its own nuances, but what happened then became a catastrophic mistake (after which everyone left to play again) and of course left your money for purchasing this game. Without leaving the opportunity to play Diablo3 Classic - that I also find some kind of fraud and a direct violation of the agreement and the sale and purchase agreement for how much the player bought something in the advertisement and the description and what he bought does not correspond to the purchase agreement and the description where Diablo3 now committed is not such a player bought. And what are you talking about, yes, Blizzard has long been a prison crying.

Last edited:
Level 6
Without the war3.mpq folder.

So move the "TerrainArt" folder to the first one? I will try it. And any idea for the "morphing strings"? I wont rewrite thousand skills in my 20 players map. Im sorry but i would prefer to burn blizzards office xD

I found a way to make maps work.
You can download 1.30.4 and then protect maps with Vexorians Optimizer using an MPQ fron 1.29.

To avoid neutral units changing colors you need these settings when optimizing the map.

The problem is if u use custom pathability, like not allowing to walk on mountain terrain, if u save it on the old editor and then play it on 1.31, it wont work. Today i was ending some quick fixes in my map in the old we, everything was fine. I went to host and found the update, updated it and when i hosted my "saved in all we" map, i found blight was spreaded to mountains. A-we-so-me.

So move the "TerrainArt" folder to the first one? I will try it. And any idea for the "morphing strings"? I wont rewrite thousand skills in my 20 players map. Im sorry but i would prefer to burn blizzards office xD
Yes. But you will need to enable "Allow Local Files" for it to work. As for the corrupted strings, this seems to be a bug in 1.31. Hopefully you have a backup or an older version from which you can import the strings again :(

Level 6
Yes. But you will need to enable "Allow Local Files" for it to work. As for the corrupted strings, this seems to be a bug in 1.31. Hopefully you have a backup or an older version from which you can import the strings again :(

I looked for the "allow local files" int he regedit and the only option with similar value (0x000001 (1)) is picked. It was suposed to have allowed local files enabled for it to work in previous versions so i guess they are enabled that way xD. I will try tomorrow erasing the folder as u told me and i will check if it works :)

upload_2019-6-1_8-16-40.png

Btw, about the strings... I have backups from my map, that is no a problem. But i guess there must be a "proper way to save ur map without screwing the strings", moving it to some specific folder or something, other way it is going to go messy everytime i save it? Idk. But copy and paste every single skill name is not an option xD. I read a guy in the forum about he managed to properly save his map moving it to a certain folder and making it alone, but i dont remember in wich thread was :/

"Preferred Game Version" determines if you'll launch the game as RoC (0) or TFT (1). You can create a new DWORD value named "Allow Local Files" and set it to 1.
You can also use WC3 Mod Manager (link in my sig) to easily toggle it on and off :p

IIRC someone posted earlier in this thread that the strings don't get corrupted if the map is in Documents\Warcraft III\Maps, but I'm not sure.

When i read the patch notes i understood .w3mod doenst exist, but u use .w3x or .w3m

I used to have my changed terrain patability here: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\war3.mpq\TerrainArt"

What do u mean with "placing them in installation folder"? That was the installation folder. I think maybe move the war3.mpq folder tu "C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\x86_64" could work...

Exactly. This game has been played for 20 years, it is not an alpah or a beta, you CANT add or change content without being 100% tested and sure that it will work, u cant ruin something that is working just for adding some new content :( I just hope they fix it soon. (Btw, whenever u open the editor u instantly see the bugs, we all noticed them, u just need a single test to notice them, i can understand that Blizzard might have bugs, as maper i know it is normal. BUT u cant miss a so clear mistake...)

Nah it won't work .mpq's are gone and game can't understand the new format what I say is this= open war3.mpq copy terrainart folder and paste it to C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

The new patch is the worst thing Blizzard ever released for Warcraft 3.

I have an issue that WE messes abilities, upgrades, etc descriptions/tooltips up. After i close and reopen the map it either fixed or messed up differently.
Edit: I had made a backup before I downloaded the update.

SAME SAME SAME AND I F***ING HATE IT.

Level 13
Incidentally, you pointing fingers telling people they didn't test enough also applies to you. On this stance you also have to accept the responsibility for the failure as much as you want to blame it on everyone else. If you don't accept that then your stance is completely ridiculous.

Of course i do! I wasn't pointing fingers or climbing up on some high horse (though I did actually make the effort of going onto the PTR :p). I was merely postulating the following: if as much people played PTR as they did live, these issues would never have made it through. One could speculate as to why people don't test on the PTR but we already know its because WC3 has a small player base and there's not enough people (who want) to extensively test the game & editor in all its possible ways. In fact, those who are wise and learn from history will expect things to be broken on patch days because that's exactly what has happened in the past year.

While it's good that they make test versions available for testing, I don't think Blizzard's paying customers bear any responsibility to test their games for them. They're a huge company and if they really wanted to they could provide a large enough staff and enough resources to improve internal testing processes.
It's true that bugs are to be expected with any large update, but I've never known a live patch to be this problematic. On the other hand, the patches have never been this extensive before either.

Level 8
So how do you downgrade Warcraft 3?
I tried to reinstall the game, but the game already had the latest patched installed.
Soooo does this mean we have to resort to piracy if we want to work on maps?
Sadly yes
Does it even count as piracy? I have a game, I have a fully official serial number for it... does it matter where I downloaded it from?
I still haven't upgraded to 1.31 anybody wants 1.30 just ask.

Maan, I HATE that the script editor is so unfriednly! tiny font, no keyword coloring, no line numbering, no suggestions. Just infriendly and demotiating to use.

AS long as there are serious, irritating and very visible bugs they will have to make more patches. Last major patch? Ha!

Last edited by a moderator:
Every version of 1.30 was a disaster as far as I recall.
It does not seem that 1.31 is any different.
I'll stick with 1.29.2, you have fun with your bugs.

And god help us when Reforged drops, I cannot imagine the amount of bugs there at launch!

'But Blizzard is doing it's best old code omg small team no help you no test ptr omg :O :O :'(' here is the response you'll get from 'blizzard troll' persons here, but jokes aside I think sticking with 1.29.2 was the right move how I wish they'lld reverse the game to atleast 1.29.2 when Reforged comes out cause otherwise it'll end up like you said: Full of bugs, totally unplayable because of lags and desyncs

Level 6
After trying to bypass the string corruption bug and also trying to learn its behaviour, I found out it deletes all custom strings over ID 999 with the exception of baked-in map data (such as constants, player names, scenario modifications, etc). All custom object string data gets truncated.

Can people who author maps over 999 strings confirm this is the case?

IMO, need to prepare contingency in case Blizzard never fixes it (I'm black-pilled on Blizzard staff's power to do anything at the moment or in the future). Only contingency i can think off is migrating off object editor into jass files using the new APIs.

Sucks. Whoever's responsible for this bug at Blizzard, know that you have just delivered the worst piece of code in Blizzard's history. Not only you broke the game, but you also broke it retroactively, and possibly permanently for some map makers. I don't recall anything like this happening in the past.

BTW. Jass is run under a VM. Why not spin 2 VMs when running Warcraft 3, one for 1.31+ and one for legacy stuff. Drop support for legacy stuff aside from being able to run it, and make 1.31 map extensions .w3ex or w/e? Too late for that I guess.

Level 13

Funnily enough, my editor crashing on me was less annoying than having it save with bad string data.
I get an error like you'd see if Warcraft crashed, so as of now I'm unable to save on 1.31
Not that I'd want to by the sound of it ;)

Level 6
"Preferred Game Version" determines if you'll launch the game as RoC (0) or TFT (1). You can create a new DWORD value named "Allow Local Files" and set it to 1.
You can also use WC3 Mod Manager (link in my sig) to easily toggle it on and off :p

IIRC someone posted earlier in this thread that the strings don't get corrupted if the map is in Documents\Warcraft III\Maps, but I'm not sure.

I moved my map to "Documents\Warcraft III\Maps" and saved the file to check if strings were now properly saved. But now, when i used "save" the WE got FROZEN and no longer worked. I had to close the program and now it wont open:

upload_2019-6-1_20-0-11.png

It says "Graphics cant be initiated. Make sure your OS and your screen drivers are updated". SHAME ON YOU BLIZZARD!

After trying to bypass the string corruption bug and also trying to learn its behaviour, I found out it deletes all custom strings over ID 999 with the exception of baked-in map data (such as constants, player names, scenario modifications, etc). All custom object string data gets truncated.

IMO, need to prepare contingency in case Blizzard never fixes it (I'm black-pilled on Blizzard staff's power to do anything at the moment or in the future). Only contingency i can think off is migrating off object editor into jass files using the new APIs.

Sucks. Whoever's responsible for this bug at Blizzard, know that you have just delivered the worst piece of code in Blizzard's history. Not only you broke the game, but you also broke it retroactively, and possibly permanently for some map makers. I don't recall anything like this happening in the past.

BTW. Jass is run under a VM. Why not spin 2 VMs when running Warcraft 3, one for 1.31+ and one for legacy stuff. Drop support for legacy stuff aside from being able to run it, and make 1.31 map extensions .w3ex or w/e? Too late for that I guess.

When i saved it yesterday i got some skill strings messed and others no, so it might be. I was going to check it now to confirm it to u, but new World Editor has collapsed forever.

Funnily enough, my editor crashing on me was less annoying than having it save with bad string data.
I get an error like you'd see if Warcraft crashed, so as of now I'm unable to save on 1.31
Not that I'd want to by the sound of it ;)

Did u also got that screen message i posted?

Btw... Being serious, Blizzard MUST fix this right now, or reverse it to previous version AT ONCE. You cant release a content that is not ready and what is worse, you cant BREAK a game people has paid to have. This could be a class action. Is like if you sell cars to your customers and later update their elechtronics and the cars engines no longer work.

This is no longer Blizzard, but Activision. At least dont touch the game to dont destroy it.

Level 6
Forgot to mention, the strings are in the war3map.wts file

To get those files, save using the new feature to save as unpacked to file system instead of the w3x format. And for the original unsaved map, use the strings export feature in file menu.

Then both .wts files can be compared. As I said, my string file loses all data past string 999 with the exception of the non object editor crap.

Also, I think this should be repeated on every page here

DO NOT SAVE USING 1.31 EDITOR WITHOUT MAKING SEVERAL (yes several, just in case) BACKUPS OF YOUR MAPS AS THE STRING CORRUPTION DAMAGE IS IRREVERSIBLE

Level 9
Every version of 1.30 was a disaster as far as I recall.
It does not seem that 1.31 is any different.
I'll stick with 1.29.2, you have fun with your bugs.

And god help us when Reforged drops, I cannot imagine the amount of bugs there at launch!

While I agree on most points, I doubt Reforged will bring any new bugs, considering its nothing more than a cheap reskin. Oh, and a bit different campaign.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
While I agree on most points, I doubt Reforged will bring any new bugs, considering its nothing more than a cheap reskin. Oh, and a bit different campaign.
The last updates managed to break things like strings in the Object Editor in a way that
makes the editor crash, so I still consider it a possibility even if it is nothing more than that.

Level 6
Forgot to mention, the strings are in the war3map.wts file

To get those files, save using the new feature to save as unpacked to file system instead of the w3x format. And for the original unsaved map, use the strings export feature in file menu.

Then both .wts files can be compared. As I said, my string file loses all data past string 999 with the exception of the non object editor crap.

Also, I think this should be repeated on every page here

DO NOT SAVE USING 1.31 EDITOR WITHOUT MAKING SEVERAL (yes several, just in case) BACKUPS OF YOUR MAPS AS THE STRING CORRUPTION DAMAGE IS IRREVERSIBLE

Something really WRONG is happening in warcraft code... Idk what monstruosity they have done to the WE. I confirm your theory: ID over 999 collapse:

upload_2019-6-1_20-21-5.png

And then, suddenly:

upload_2019-6-1_20-21-31.png

And things go even more savage:

upload_2019-6-1_20-21-59.png

The ID is completly gone mad after 999 with countless missing. Ofc the strings got messed up...

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

I am not implying anything. I'll say it again. If you don't like it, develop your own game. Simple. I have no sympathy for whiners and complainers. At this point they are well aware of how fucked up their release was. There is no need to keep saying how bad it was unless you have a new issue to bring to the table.
When you pay for that game you won't say that anymore, no matter how small the price was. Think twice before saying something.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
When you pay for that game you won't say that anymore, no matter how small the price was. Think twice before saying something.
I disagree, not entirely though. They've been pushing new material which is bound to come with bugs. Yes, it's their fault, mostly because Reforged is quickly on the way and that's a huge stress factor, however, I hope they will learn the lesson this time and pay extra attention for future patch releases.

I disagree, not entirely though. They've been pushing new material which is bound to come with bugs. Yes, it's their fault, mostly because Reforged is quickly on the way and that's a huge stress factor, however, I hope they will learn the lesson this time and pay extra attention for future patch releases.

We said the same for 1.29 and 1.30 and their 'mini' patches so...

Level 6

You are getting paid, right? Blizzard is not a newbie indie company. They cant break a game "and learn they cant release broken untested stuff". This game has been working for 20 years, the company is even older. They ALREADY know that they must test and check patches before releasing them! Omfg

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

I totally disagree! It is not the first time they did this. Remember those days when you wanted to play on battlenet but SURPRISE NO GAME WORKING FOR YA BOY JUST GO TO SLEEP AND CRY WITHOUT ANY WARCRAFT 3. If they wanted so bad to release a new patch they could've worked patiently and not rush to release it.

I totally disagree! It is not the first time they did this. Remember those days when you wanted to play on battlenet but SURPRISE NO GAME WORKING FOR YA BOY JUST GO TO SLEEP AND CRY WITHOUT ANY WARCRAFT 3. If they wanted so bad to release a new patch they could've worked patiently and not rush to release it.

I want to share a discord conversation I had with War3editor from this website:
Me:I think they are prepearing to push the patch to live
War3editor: I don't think so they did not even update PTR yet, I think they learned their lesson and they are going to take their time to publish this major patch*
Me: Well, from what we have experienced from last patches they just published one PTR build and never updated it and published a different live build with different bugs, I don't think they'll change this attitude sadly.

and the patch day:
Me: I told ya.

*=Not the exact words

Level 6
Have they even published any news about a quick hotfix to solve everything or even that they are going to revert the game to previous version to keep 1.31 a bit more in PTR till it is fixed with calmed work?

Level 19
I feel like the team behind the WC3 updates is very overworked and understaffed and trying to meet corporate deadlines without having sufficient resources to do so properly.
This is my thoughts as well.

I think they released the patch this early and with so many unfixed issues simply because they're running out of time and lack the staff and interest from the community to test the game through the PTR.

The only way for them to find and solve the issues in time is to force the patch onto the community, have the community share data and make themselves heard.

It's not a great way to go, but if this is the case I can understand. I hope they finish Reforged within their deadline and with their health intact.

Anyway, great additions to the game with this patch; when everything is working as intended.

Level 6
This is my thoughts as well.

I think they released the patch this early and with so many unfixed issues simply because they're running out of time and lack the staff and interest from the community to test the game through the PTR.

The only way for them to find and solve the issues in time is to force the patch onto the community, have the community share data and make themselves heard.

It's not a great way to go, but if this is the case I can understand. I hope they finish Reforged within their deadline and with their health intact.

That is a nonsense. I could agree with you if the patch would have "weird hidden bugs" that only after thousands tests could be found. But we are talking about DIRECT SIMPLE AND PLAIN bugs that you find in the very first test you might do. Simply run WE, open a map, save it, and it collpases. You dont need "numerous community members to test it in the PTR" just 1 lonely member of the w3 staff doing 5 mins of HIS JOB.

I have nearly 40 testers in my discord who voluntarily and eagerly play my map and look for bugs much more conscientiously than any w3 staff worker, who are indeed getting PAID for doing nothing. And i have right to say NOTHING when you have a major bug simply opening the program u are updating and saving a map on it. That is like... The first test you must do.

Last edited:
Level 19
That is a nonsense. I could agree with you if the patch would have "weird hidden bugs" that only after thousands tests could be found. But we are talking about DIRECT SIMPLE AND PLAIN bugs that you find in the very first test you might do. Simply run WE, open a map, save it, and it collpases. You dont need "numerous community members to test it in the PTR" just 1 lonely member of the w3 staff doing 5 mins of HIS JOB.
Yes, I have no idea how you can mess something up that bad; but that's one of the only major bugs introduced with this patch. It must've been a last minute mistake or something.

Most other issues are just minor stuff and releasing the patch early could help solve these issues if they can gather the data.

It's just my theory.

Level 6
Yes, I have no idea how you can mess something up that bad; but that's one of the only major bugs introduced with this patch. It must've been a last minute mistake or something.

Most other issues are just minor stuff and releasing the patch early could help solve these issues if they can gather the data.

It's just my theory.

If chaning the how the program internally works, wich kind of files it uses and in wich extensions it saves and read its data, is a "last minute stuff". I would be even more terrified with this patch.

Level 19
If chaning the how the program internally works, wich kind of files it uses and in wich extensions it saves and read its data, is a "last minute stuff". I would be even more terrified with this patch.
All of these changes were already included in the PTR client and without any major issues, no? However, these changes are not what I meant with a last minute change. It could've been as simply as just changing a number.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
It is not the first time they did this.
It is the first time the editor got so broken.
Just look at the past few months and the last few patches. All I am saying.
I understand all that. As I've written, I really hope they learnt the lesson otherwise, like you, I'm keeping 1.29.2 unless they intentionally break compatibility at which point, it's bye bye ActiBlizzEnt for good.
You are getting paid, right?
Sure, I have a job but not even related to computer science.
The classic team, in case you haven't noticed, is a noob team. Why do you think some community members got hired by them?
I feel like the team behind the WC3 updates is very overworked and understaffed and trying to meet corporate deadlines without having sufficient resources to do so properly.
This is true. They aren't sniffing coke and laughing all day long. On top of that, I'm pretty sure they have many WtF moments when they just have no idea what's going on.

I think the major error, no, complication was shifting the game from .mpq files to CASC and that folder migration wickedness.

The classic team, in case you haven't noticed, is a noob team. Why do you think some community members got hired by them?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure putting out a stable well-rounded product isn't a huge priority for the company. They just want to put out a semi-modern version of the game with "good enough" features before the end of the year.
The classics team is working with 16-year-old code and updating it to a modern application, and so far they're doing a pretty good job of it. I mean, in a few months time they added a HUGE amount of new possibilities, implemented a whole new VM, and even made the game 64-bit. These things aren't trivial. I'm guessing they have their hands more than full with the development side of things. Testing and debugging is a huge, tedious task and takes a lot of time.

So yeah ^this probably has an element of truth to it.

It's pretty short-sighted to get angry and disillusioned at the development team, some of them are basically just hiveworkshop community members, so presumably they want the same things as the rest of the community. Unfortunately they're working for a huge corporation which only cares about short term profits and is expecting a return on investment in the near the future. The decision to outsource all artwork to what amounts to a digital sweatshop is especially emblematic of this.

Level 9
You know, now that I think of it, its kinda a good thing.
It throws another shadow on Blizzard, when they juuuust recovered from the whole Diablo Immoral scandal.
Shareholders don't care about inner workings, they know a remake is coming and its playerbase has just been completely pissed/
This may motivate Blizzard to throw extra money and people at Classic Games to remedy the situation and make sure it never repeats.
Or they'll just close the whole division altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.