• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Opposite races, (in all the possible ways)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Well, i don't know how to start.
I've been thinking that techtree contests are somewhat forgotten, and I have a small idea. Let's see if he can overcome the embryonic stage.
Two semi-races (if they are completed techtrees, better) completely opposite. I will try to explain myself.
—Opposite races?
Regarding this point, I refer to two races that face and confront, both in the idea itself, and in its techniques, units and styles.
—Idea itself
The races aren't just units. They fight. They hate each other. And some races hate each other more than others. This is what "opposites in the idea" means
—Techniques
All the races have different techniques. And some techniques are opposite with other. Per example: The humans are really good with tower rush (create towers directly in front of the enemy bosses)
In Warcraft 3, all the races have opposite techniques (ah, beautiful Blizzard) so I will explain it with aka the original races.
-Undead: they can use necromancers and wyrms to stop all the towers in only one attack
-Orc: I don't use the orcs, so I will appreciate any help. Now, I just remember the shadowhunter. He can use his ultimate to make invulnerable all the siege catapults.
-Night elf: Mmmm... Maybe the structure attack. I don't know.
-Humans: They can fight with humans too, no? Easy. Cloud.
Units and styles:
Each race have a style of units, based on his price, power, type of attack and spells, etc. As an example, the Undead have a style of cheap units, fast and combined effects with other units, except for some units such as the wyrms.

===============================

Example:
An example is the Protoss and the Zerg. I will suppose you know them. I explain myself.
Idea itself: The Protoss are in war with the Zergs for a lot of years. This is a war into the Order, the technology, and the perfect mind of the Overmind, controlling basically beasts. They are similar, but different too.
-Techniques: I don't play StarCraft, but I think the Protoss attack with giant and powerful attacks, to destroy an enemy in just 3 or 4 attacks. The Zergs, in opposite, fight with continuous and persistent attack, to win by wearing down the enemy (this does not mean that they do not make devastating attacks too)
-Style of units: The Zergs have a cheap and fast style (ZERGLINGS). The Protoss are just the opposite.

By the request of the public (I know that it does not fit at all, but I always wanted to say it :grin:) and to clarify doubts, I will put an example-idea improvised.
Imagine that I am a participant in the contest (which is not yet one as such, but ... AH, I must return to the point).
in this case, and understanding what I mentioned above, I think of an idea, and, like me, invented member (let's call it in 3rd person of singular, name NN) is basic, is in a hurry, and he/I (NN) can not think of anything else, NN resort to the typical example of antagonistic dialectics: Light and Darkness.
In this case, NN should think and create two semi-complex techtrees, whose techniques and features, unlike what happens in Warcraft 3, are COMPLETELY opposed. Why? Precisely because they are rival forces!
Does this mean that they can not have traits in common? Of course not. Many will agree that extremes touch, and all light has darkness, and vice versa.
But this dialectical opposition must be embodied as well as possible, so that, if you change the models, names, and descriptions to both races, someone outside could guess that they are opposite. That is the goal.
So, the NN techtrees, obviously semi-incomplete:
Light: Low cost units, excellent defence.
-Units: Light soldier: 175 gold=five soldiers. Very weak unit. Crusader×2: 275 gold, 30 lumber. Two crusaders, one mele ranged, 400 HP, no skills, and one ranged, 150 HP, damage per time skill (Purge?). Angel: 330 gold, 40 lumber. Mele ground unit-flying unit. Can heal.
Etc. Etc. Etc. You can imagine it. Structures:
Three towers: Heal tower, purging tower (high damage in a specific zone) and Sky tower (really expensive)(two modes: Fast attack, 8-11 of damage every 0.35 seconds, Slaughter mode: 100-150 damage every 10 seconds, and effect mode: Heal all allies 5 HP per second, and damage enemies 10 HP per second)
And it continuous. I don't want to write all

I hope you understand. If I forgot something, please say it.

Last edited:
Level 39
It sounds to me what you're describing is just... a balanced techtree for multiple races. In an RTS the factions should all have distinct differences/advantages to make them feel unique but also have specific ways to counter strategies the other factions might employ. That's just good game balance. If Orcs had no counter to tower rushing, then Orcs would be underpowered and nearly always lose to a well-micro'd tower rush. I guess I just don't see how the 'oppositeness' is really that different from the strengths/weaknesses/counters trifecta you should expect an RTS to have.

Level 11
I see i didn't explain myself fine.
For the convenience of anyone else who can read this, this will be a advisement. Right now I will edit the original message to add a somewhat improvised example of what I'm talking about.
Of course, thanks for the really quick feedback.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Well then it hasn't 'failed' nor is it 'deactivated' just because things are a little slow. : )

Ideally one would want a bit more interaction though. I'll admit, your initial description is a bit hard to follow. I see you tried to give an example, but you went into a bit too much detail on the "Light" side & didn't say anything at all about the "Dark" side of this example contest submission (wait, two races/techtrees as a submission?? That's... a lot, if I'm reading you right). Since the whole point is "opposites & the ways that is expressed in design", it feels like an important oversight. Could you include a little bit about how a "Dark" faction could work in that example?

Level 11
I know 2 techtrees is so much, and for this reason mi initial idea was "demi-techtrees", with only, per example, 5 units, 2 heroes and 5 structures, including towers.
Well, I will continue with the "dark forces" (yes, i forgived it at all)
Dark (powerful, expensive units. More spellcasters and good in attack, exactly everything that its opposite is not):
Units: Demon assasin, 245 gold, first unit, have a damage per time abilitie (shadow venom) and a activable ability based on windwalk, both skills require updating. 13-16 damage every 1.20 seconds, 650 hitpoints, 3 food. Lord of fire, spellcaster/ranged unit, 300 gold, 25 lumber, 25-30 of damage every 2 seconds, rain of fire and fire bolt, 500 hitpoints, 4 food. Destructor, melee tank/siege unit, 335 gold, 45 lumber, 5 food, 75-95 damage every 3.5 seconds, 850 hitpoints, no abilities. Etc...
2 towers: Darkness tower, aura of damage and lifesteal, 10-12 damage every 0.8 seconds. Destruction tower, really long attack range, 200-300 damage of area every 60 seconds (really expensive, 300 gold and 100 lumber aproximately).
And it continues... (I writted the same as with "Light". Its an example, not a demostration).

Level 29
I know 2 techtrees is so much, and for this reason mi initial idea was "demi-techtrees", with only, per example, 5 units, 2 heroes and 5 structures, including towers.
Well, I will continue with the "dark forces" (yes, i forgived it at all)
Dark (powerful, expensive units. More spellcasters and good in attack, exactly everything that its opposite is not):
Units: Demon assasin, 245 gold, first unit, have a damage per time abilitie (shadow venom) and a activable ability based on windwalk, both skills require updating. 13-16 damage every 1.20 seconds, 650 hitpoints, 3 food. Lord of fire, spellcaster/ranged unit, 300 gold, 25 lumber, 25-30 of damage every 2 seconds, rain of fire and fire bolt, 500 hitpoints, 4 food. Destructor, melee tank/siege unit, 335 gold, 45 lumber, 5 food, 75-95 damage every 3.5 seconds, 850 hitpoints, no abilities. Etc...
2 towers: Darkness tower, aura of damage and lifesteal, 10-12 damage every 0.8 seconds. Destruction tower, really long attack range, 200-300 damage of area every 60 seconds (really expensive, 300 gold and 100 lumber aproximately).
And it continues... (I writted the same as with "Light". Its an example, not a demostration).

it remembers me Age of mythology,google it if you dont know it, when you upgrade tech , you can choose 2 options, gods.
Ares or Athena level up, Hermes or Aprodite , each god had its unique units and upgrades.

so there can be a race you choose 1 tech tree till end, or a the 2nd till end like fire water.
you should use screens to illustrate ideas, that helps.

also you should sell it as Tech tree contest 13.

Level 11
That would be a good method of choosing races, but it's not what I mean at all (yes, I see that my idea was much more complicated than I thought at first).
Basically, there would be two races completely separate and distinct (in fact, the idea is that they are completely opposed, both in concept and combat style, techniques, units, etc.) but that, not to overwhelm the creator with something too long, they can be semi-complete, with half of units, structures and heroes (however, they should be perfectly functional). I explained earlier about "completely opposite races", but I can go deeper into this idea of "semi-races".
An example could be a Warsong breed that believes a few months ago for a campaign that, due to some strange error (my campaign editor is something strange) I could not finish. In the race, there was, if I remember correctly, 1 hero (Grommy), 3 units (grunt warsong, wolf rider, which is different from the raider, and a strange excellent battle car against units, buildings and resistance, but extremely expensive and slow) and 6 buildings (tower, food center, city hall, barracks, altar and improvement post). In addition, this semi-race was perfectly functional and usable, despite not being complete (it did not even have flying units). In case you want to, I wanted to complete it throughout the missions, as in the original campaigns.
Clearly, this would be an extremely small race, and the ideal would be to create as much as possible, always staying in the functional.

Status
Not open for further replies.