• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Techtree Contest #7 Discussion

Which theme would you like to see for Techtree Contest 7?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
Since the polls are still tallying up and judging is pending for Techtree Contest #6, I figured that this would be a good time to discuss the possibilities for the next Techtree Contest so that we can hopefully start it up as soon as possible (perhaps after the results come in for the last Techtree Contest, or maybe sooner considering we know how long those take).

So the theme is one thing we will need to discuss, and a theme could be something along the lines of:

- Super Unit (users must create a unit which the race revolves around and relies on for functionality)

- Swarm (users must create a method for overwhelming the enemy with superior numbers which is balanced in its own right within their race)

- Summoned Unit (race must revolve around a common summoned unit used throughout it)

Or whatever theme you can come up with.

Alright.

POLL IS UP

Super Unit - Come up with some kind of super unit within your race where the strategy can centre around it or it can just be incredibly powerful, but balanced nonetheless.

Swarm Unit - Come up with a unit that is much more swarmable than your average unit, perhaps more than one, within your race, maybe centring your race around overwhelming your enemy with numbers (be imaginative, casters can aid in the swarming, for example, or workers could, or everything could centre around the unit you want to swarm).

Summoned Unit - Make a race where there are plenty of summoned units implemented within your race, raising an army of expirational warriors that become the centre of your race somehow.

Defensive - Make a race where the theme is defense.
This can mean it's a slow moving race that inches towards your opponent (with a few fast striking units for good measure if you so choose, the theme doesn't mean every unit has to follow this rule, of course), or the defensive towers can play more of an influential role than most others (ancient protecter can move, for example, that's a good example of this), or whatever else you can come up with that fits within a 'defensive' role for a race.

Central Builder/Structure - Implement your workers or structures with a more influential role than is the norm.
for example, you could have workers providing access to every single unit within the techtree, structures being able to turn into units themselves (statues coming to life come to mind), or something you can come up with keeping this theme in mind.

Nomad - Have no base and figure out a way to implement this WHILE keeping the race balanced.
A hot tip would be that using something like a Haunted Gold Mine could potentially help, as well as the wisp's method of lumber gathering, but as you will be allowed to implement a set number of buildings (you could perhaps implement some key base buildings, for example, and have them mobile, or just some defensive towers to hold off points), you may find a new and innovative method of implementing this style of gameplay.

Spellcaster - Give spellcasters within your race a much more weighted role.
For example, you could implement more than the unspoken limit of 3 casters per race in your techtree, or you could have them acts as unit summoners for your race, or have them act as builders as well as defensive/offensive casters, or anything brilliant you can come up with giving casters an innovative role in your techtree.

For all the above themes - as far as how you go about fullfilling these themes, the choice is yours. The Swarm unit could be a summonable unit that is summoned from multiple effects spread throughout the race, the Super Unit could also be a base structure, spellcasters could fullfill any roles, anything can go down with any of these themes, just as long as you are imaginative and can explain how it ties in with the theme :3

Last edited:
>We have Heroes already. Also restricts player choice in strategies (compare Wc3 pro games to Sc2 pro games, in Sc2 the same player always uses different builds against different players unless he's idra, in Wc3 the whole game is just mass dotts vs mass raiders).
>Every race should have the capability to swarm (albeit some races are better at it than others).
>Same as the point I made about your 'super unit' idea. Except this one is even stupider.

These are not even themes, these are limitations on what your race can do (a theme should be a limitation on what your race is). Even if they were themes, a contest theme should not limit the creativity and layout of entries by setting parimeters such as 'a race which must do this' (different to 'a race which must be made by doing this/basing off this' [I can elaborate if you still don't get me]), and adding such limits also makes it hard to balance against vanilla races.

Now, my turn to suggest:
-Games. Base your race off another <non-video game> game eg. chess, poker, sports of varying kinds, yugioh, wazzz' mum
-Warcraft in space. Your race must be base off the alliance/horde/scourge/purpleboobies except with a twist - the races are set in sci-fi.
-Environment. Your race must be based off an aspect of the/a natural environment, and include one major mechanic that revolves around this eg. a snow rice, a savannah race, an amazon race, a great barrier reef race

Level 35
those are actually themes, what you're suggesting is the problem of restricting race choices

the themes i outlined don't actually restrict gameplay in the slightest, due to their ambiguity, and therefore allows maximum creativity while outlining a certain 'theme'

as opposed to saying 'race must be based on space stuff'

those are actually themes, what you're suggesting is the problem of restricting race choices

the themes i outlined don't actually restrict gameplay in the slightest, due to their ambiguity, and therefore allows maximum creativity while outlining a certain 'theme'

as opposed to saying 'race must be based on space stuff'

This comment. Is even more stupid than your usual ones.

Level 14
STOP this!
We dont need to start whining about each others idea, just say that you didnt like it because you have different ideas in your mind.

Super unit - Good idea, but i cant really imagine how it fits with the "techtree" subject. I mean i have a really good super unit race idea, but i cant see what are heroes, tier1 units, workers could be used in a race with a super unit. I think its more like a unit creation or maybe a Hero contest.
Swarm - That's kinda what i suggested once before, although i dont like it to be a one sided race, the race MUST have strong, not massable units too, just the strength of the race should be the massing.
Games - Found it interesting, the only disadvantage is that more popular games get more attention at voting maybe. And as i see there is a big rage about the polls just now :D - The idea can be colorful, moves imagination
Space - Forgive me, but sounds boring. Everyone downloads the best space models from the internet, you dont have much chance to come up with original idea (what's wazzz saying)
Environment - Dont really understand this one. Do a creep race for a region of warcraft? Or the snow rice has units related to cold weather...
Seelie - Sounds fun

My suggestions:
Hard, but it would solve the testing problem:
-Before the contest so. does a custom race system (or its already done) and it would be imported into the map.
-Somehow everyone have to make the entries compatible with others'
-And then at the end of the contest, all entries would be imported to one single map, so testers, voters and everyone can dl it easily.
Themes:
Race with story: You (have to) write a short story to your race, and your race have to revolve - You really like this word xD- around it. For example the theme is Faith, so contestants can do a priest race with an arcmage, or A mighty commander leads their orcs with the belief that they are superior to other races (i hope i used prepositions well :p)
Different use - Your race have to use the resources differently than melee races. You can imagine anything with this from item crafting to a bird race who're living on the trees... :)

This is for now, and thx much for opening the theme :D

STOP this!
We dont need to start whining about each others idea, just say that you didnt like it because you have different ideas in your mind.
>Games - No you're wrong. Only the popular contestants get the votes. Why would anyone care what your race is based on? Very few people just go 'i liek teh orcs moar ten teh hoomans so i vote for wazzz'
>Warcraft in space - I agree it is not so clever. Still better than forcing each entry to be a swarm race.
>Environment - pretty much just make a race out of one element of the environment. You could do a tree race, a water race, and you can be specific about an actual place, so you can do a Sahara race etc. Also not that good of an idea I must admit.

>Race with story - every race
>Different use - this is the same sort of problem I have with Wazzz' points. While they encourage creativity by resticting them to a certain criteria, it's much better to give no criteria and not encourage creativity, but let contestants make for themselves what systems/special features they wish to have.

@Wazzz: Now let me explain what I couldn't in chat:
>You said race choices are stricted with my type of themes
>While that is true, 'races' are an aesthetic. The difference between zerg and protoss are not solely because one are space bugs and the other are space draenei. You forget gameplay.
>Your <themes> pretty much would have to warrant a new judging format with every contest. Balance would be thrown out, each entry would have similar gameplay. Ofc, you can simply say it would be a challenge to try to balance the race and make your gameplay unique to others, but contestants ALREADY do that with inprevious and my idea of themes.

Also I agree innovation was a horrible theme. It basically meant 'this contest has no theme'. 'No imports' btw actually is my kind of theme, even though it is terrible. See it doesn't restrict gameplay, but restricts how the contestants construct their races. So all those points you made about how 'look at those unique entries' just applied to my idea.

Last edited:
@Pharaoh_: are you addressing me or Wazzz? Coz we both disliked it.

If you are talking to me, I do want race production to be limited. I could care less if someone submits a human race, and another person submits a totaly unique butterfly cupcake race. If the human race plays better, I'll vote for it.

I do not want to limit race gameplay, that's what Wazzz wants by installing certain criterias like 'your race must have this'.

Also not funny at all for Wazzz. I joined the no imports contest (however that will be the last one I will join). Just because people tolerate it, doesn't mean its not bad. I learnt this whilst on the bungie.net forums.

Last edited:
I'm sure kari0003 doesn't doing anything wrong though. The constant fights between yourself and Wazzz on the other hand have become annoying.
I have not stated my opinion on #6 yet, but I really do not understand how you get disappointed with the poll's outcome and you end up voting for Wazzz. You were all angry at it and when Kingz interfered to hypothetically assist you, you turned yourself into a neutral creep: I agree with what Kingz said, but I agree with Wazzz. Not to mention your conversations on Wazzz's profile: lolpharaoh, he deleted your message and ignored mine.
Your attitude has become very ambiguous, considering the time you invest to reply to everything Wazzz says.

>I didn't fight with wazzz, at least about the poll and in the public. Yesterday I debated with him in chat about what constitutes a proper contest theme and that's it.
>Because I believe he rigged it, even though at the time I thought his entry was the best. I'm pretty sure I told you that.
>I was trolling derp. I'm on Kingz side. Also that would explain my VM to wazzz, for you see you completely ignored my troll comments.
>I'm secretly gay with him.

Level 35
kingz is the kind of person who enters a contest knowing the rules, knowing the content, and decides to complain when things don't go his way while blaming his intolerance on other people

were the pms with regard to me or kari? in any case they're probably just spoil sports who weren't going to compete again anyway, considering they can ignore our dialogue in the first place

only time i started talking was when kingz was accusing me of cheating simply because the polls didn't go as he expected them to

Level 35
oh yeah, pharaoh_ did that because last contest we didn't need to spend time searching for models to download

unfortunately i personally think he underestimated the amount of time that should be spent searching for imports (considering we are still looking through the ingame files for suitable models and icons and the likes) and people found they were a little rushed

nonetheless it was in the disclaimer and i don't think it will happen again too soon, not for the next contest at least (it was interesting to see what people could compose on such short notice nonetheless)

unfortunately i personally think he underestimated the amount of time that should be spent searching for imports (considering we are still looking through the ingame files for suitable models and icons and the likes) and people found they were a little rushed

I don't think I am any tyrannic monster that doesn't know what a contest weighs on your personal, free time nor do I believe that I am not open to extensions. History will prove that for me -seeing how many contests got endlessly extended-. If you had arguments of why it should be extended, I wouldn't say "No". The whole "no extension will be given for this one" was in fact an intimidation intent, in order to organize yourselves much faster. When a contest is repeatedly extended, the motivation gets lost and for the theme you chose, I think 2 weeks was enough. If you don't have the time to join for your own reasons, then don't. Contests are globally created and regard any user on this site. If one or two can't make it, then it won't be a sufficient reason to muddle with the contest's date.

The thing is, some contests die lately and all I care is for certain contest-types not to be blacklisted, techtree being one of them.

A techtree contest requires you to be really familiar with the Melee gaming and the editor in general, because you are helped to know how far you can go with the creativity part. Don't consider it as your chance to both learn and submit. One thing at a time.

Level 35
i didn't mean it quite like that, i mean that a lot of people within the contest complained about a lack of time, and while we got a great amount of submissions as an end result (actually... a lot more than the last contest where we even slapped on extensions for people trailing behind), there were still complaints.

nonetheless, looking back on the contest, the time frame was actually a great success, and i suspect people complaining about the lack of time is based on the fact that these contests don't happen often enough for people to simply say 'oh well i'll just join next one' too easily, as there will be a large waiting period (normally)

Level 14
So after a lotta raging, and fightinng, the problem is still there:

What should the theme restrict:
1. The gameplay of the race (in any means)
2. The main idea of the race (subject/theme, the looking of the race)

If you ask the question like this, you see that both options are bad. Because the contest would be better without these specifications, more people could create more interesting entries.
So lets start working on a "theme" what doesn't restrict much, or lets accept the tough rules.

Level 25
kingz is the kind of person who enters a contest knowing the rules, knowing the content, and decides to complain when things don't go his way while blaming his intolerance on other people

If you have an issue with me, say it to my face, not spread the lies around the forums. It would be wise of you to stop mentioning my name in such manner as I didn't say a word about yours, should you continue, I will be forced to seek out someone else to sort things out permanently.

Level 35
i already did say it to your face, and you were simply used as an example, considering there's at least one person like you that occurs in every contest

as for the theme, it's preferable it doesn't restrict your choice in races, but rather gives a restriction in the gameplay that can be interpreted in any number of ways in order to inspire creativity

unfortunately, what pharaoh_ says is right with regards to there being at least one submission that is completely lacking in creativity, but the theme itself can only do so much

as far as it comes to creativity, it's up to the users to do the work

Exactly Wazzz. The theme should not force upon users a specific mechanic like 'super unit' or 'alternate resource gathering'. This does not force creativity so much as limit it. It should be up to the contestant to get thinking.

@kari: Unfortunately those are the ONLY restrictions. If you don't pick either of them, you end up with 'innovation' as a theme. I am going with 2., because like you said the 'race' is just an aesthetic and will not affect gameplay or balance, whereas 1 does.

Level 14
In this case, lets vote about which option we want more.
Since neither GhostThruster or wazz seems to change their minds, at this moment - if we cant find a third way - there will be just a long "this is better so gtfo" arguments.

I will accept the decision of the greater.
If i have to choose, i'd vote for the subject restriction, because then there would be more tone on the system making creativity. If we restrict the gameplay of the race, it'd be harder for me to make a more original race...

Level 35
1) you'll notice this thread does not contain a poll. keep that in mind.
2) i was given permission to open the subject and open the subject i did. i opened the topic of the thread and it is you who must abide by its content rather than taking it over with your notions of 'voting'.
3) it is not your place to accept anything

it's hardly restricting the gameplay of the race, it's giving an idea to follow through with that can be interpreted in a multitude of ways.

a 'super unit' can be interpreted in any number of ways. a 'swarm' can be interpreted in any number of ways.

'make a race based on another game' cannot. i mean sure you have a lot of games you can choose from, but it's really just bleh for a theme.

Level 14
Okay, sorry for saying that voting may be more effective than watching you two arguing. (or talking, dont be mad about the expression)

I think the 'Environment' theme could be use in many ways [Ents/ Rock Golems/ Water Elementals / Wild animals etc]. And you can create original systems to the race, what makes every entry even more interesting.

If you give a theme that restricts the main structure the race, lot of ppl might wont be able to work with it. (Also my 'different resource gathering' system is hard to make). So maybe it would be better for more contestants if there were a restriction in theme.

3) it is not your place to accept anything

You didnt understand what i wanted to say. I think i have something they call fantasy, so i will be able to make a race with any restrictions. I will agree with the final decision.

Level 35
if this were an art contest, 'environment' could potentially be a very viable theme

but as this is a techtree contest, it is not given the criteria

it's kind of like saying 'make a human race' for a theme

the idea of the theme is to give some sort of direction for the techtree itself while leaving it open enough that it could be interpreted in numerous ways

i'm sure a lot of people will think that 'super unit' implies that there must be a unit that is super powerful or super potent, that players must be restricted to only getting one of that unit, etc. etc.

that's not true at all. while that would be a viable interpretation of the constraints given, it's not the only way you can take it. you could implement it as a core unit that is required for the race to function, such as a unit that evolves into all other units, or provides an aura essential to the race's success in a battle. it could be taken in any number of ways.

a theme like 'environment' or 'game' is just saying 'oh yeah you have to make a race that aesthetically pleases this theme' as though this is an art contest.

which it isn't.

Level 14
If you have something, say it. Its Our duty to make the next contest the best for us.

I dont defend wazz's ideas, im good with almost anything. He has truth in his words, so i agreed.

When i read back the comments, i found Ender's seelie/unseelie idea. Its a quite good theme! What u think?

Level 35
if that is the case, mechanical man, then perhaps i'm the one on the right track

as for the seelie/unseelie idea, that is once again a limitation of aesthetics

and quite a heavy one too, that's like saying 'make a human/dark human race'

it's not a good theme by any stretch of the imagination

what you're possibly thinking is it could be a good techtree to build, which i could agree with, depending on how it's executed, but just because it's a good techtree doesn't mean it's a good theme

Level 7
What is a techtree theme?
Here are 2 types that i have thought of, that might qualify as a tehctree theme.
Aesthetics(ie steam punk, elemental, angelic, medieval, primitive etc..)
System(ie each race has to have a core system that defines it, either left to the user or defined like "each race must use different resources", "each race must build buildings in a new way(overcold_ices race would be a good example)" )

Edit: some more
Expansion on Melee races(lame)
Tier limit
Object editor only(other then race selection trigger),(might work, probably a complete flop)

Level 35
aesthetic themes aren't desirable for a techtree contest

as for the core systems, you're getting close, but they're too focused in the triggering section rather than the actual techtree itself, which is what spells contests are for

as for the core system of a techtree, that would be anything manageable by purely implementing object editor and nothing else if you so desire

Level 14
Well deciding what is desirable for a techtree contest is not your place - to be fair.

Although system restricting themes would be more challenging.

Object Editor Only would be really annoying and hard for all of us i think :)

I prefer the "SuperUnit" idea most at the moment, i could think of many ways to make it.

@kari:
I agree with this.
Don't. He sounds convincing, but that's only coz Wazzz thinks his opinion = fact. Wazzz also thinks opinions are opinions. Therefore Wazzz is a hypocrite. (this is an opinion too, but don't tell wazzz)

@Wazzz: My theme type is not asking for aesthetics. It limits aesthetics and does not limit gameplay. YOUR theme is saying each race must have a 'super unit thats original because heroes in melee gameplay is not a super unit' BUT they can be 'mega polite battlefrogs from equestria'.
it's hardly restricting the gameplay of the race, it's giving an idea to follow through with that can be interpreted in a multitude of ways.
Again, back up your points. Don't just dump your opinions all over the place. I and kari obviously think it restricts gameplay more than 'hardly'. The fact is one entry will have a super unit, and so will all the others.

And again, how can 'swarm' be interpreted any more differently than 'games'? And contests should not be about 'interpreting'. Look at the spaceship modelling contest. Pyritie's flying ballsack lost because it does not fit the theme. The theme should be simple, contestants should follow it, and that's how it works in mother russia.

And AGAIN. You don't make the criterias. You have as little right to define the 'theme' as I have. You can try to disuade people from agreeing with my type of theme, but you cannot outright say 'but as this is a techtree contest, it is not given the criteria'.
'Make a human race' theme. Hmmm excellent use of exaggeration. But here's the funny thing, I can do it too. Your theme is: 'make ANY rainbow dash race you want, oh but they must all contain one major idea. and don't worry about being creative, coz mrs.wazzz has done it for you'

i'm sure a lot of people will think that 'super unit' implies that there must be a unit that is super powerful or super potent, that players must be restricted to only getting one of that unit, etc. etc.

that's not true at all. while that would be a viable interpretation of the constraints given, it's not the only way you can take it. you could implement it as a core unit that is required for the race to function, such as a unit that evolves into all other units, or provides an aura essential to the race's success in a battle. it could be taken in any number of ways.
Need I repeat? A theme should not be f***** interpreted. It should be concise, it should still allow variety, we do not what 'super units' which barely fit into its own category. A comparison is if you chose the games theme, I decided to do a Blizzard Entertainment race.
a theme like 'environment' or 'game' is just saying 'oh yeah you have to make a race that aesthetically pleases this theme' as though this is an art contest.
This is the point: !
This is your head: o
This is the point ffffffffffffffffflying over your head:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!
o

You forget that my themes do not limit GAMEPLAY. THAT'S THE IMPORTANT BIT, NOT THE PART WHERE IT LIMITS AESTHETICS.

@Mechanical Man: Even though I'm not taking part in the next contest, I refuse to let wazzz decide the theme of it after he suggested the 'no imports' theme which was a huge success.

Level 25
as for the core systems, you're getting close, but they're too focused in the triggering section rather than the actual techtree itself, which is what spells contests are for

This is dumb. If you have a idea which can only be achieved by using triggers then you should be able to use it, limiting yourself to only object editor is dumb.

Object Editor Only would be really annoying and hard for all of us i think :)

Agreed.
It's like swimming over a river instead of walking over a bridge.

Bah, in the end the theme will be chosen what will wazzz say
Seems so.

Hmmm didn't see the recent posts.

aesthetic themes aren't desirable for a techtree contest
Gameplay restricting themes even less so.
Bahaha

No it wouldn't. It would be a contest with a bunch of derps submitting races with similar mechanics that are barely thought out because the theme has decided it for you.

Level 14
No it wouldn't. It would be a contest with a bunch of derps submitting races with similar mechanics that are barely thought out because the theme has decided it for you.

Yes, the hard part would be to make a real original concept when it is containing a static element. - that is the challenge, not making a race with a system...

I agree you, most of the ppl wont understand what we want to accomplish with this theme.

Level 16
Hmm maybe lets make a contest with a omni unit. A unit of a great strength produced on tier 3 ( 4 would be even better) with the limitation to havbe only 1 unit of such a type , what means you can produce next unit of such type if the old is down.

Level 14
That would be another type of "super unit race" what is mentioned above. This restricts almost nothing, just i guess you have to create some tiers, and a specific unit.
The gameplay of this race would be a bit boring, because if this unit is strong, everyone goes for it from the beginning of the game, if it's not so strong, that you can replace it with other units, why it requires to be only one of the special unit. If both the unit is strong, but replaceable, the race might be a littlebit imba in relation to melee races.
Thanks for your suggestion tho, dont let this discussion die, till we have something acceptable!

Level 35
actually, he's on the right track, the only thing i would change from the idea is limiting it to being a single unit and making it an option to have it as a single unit or a unit with a crucial role within the race

do remember that the idea of a 'theme' isn't to be /too/ restrictive, but rather to give a basic outline for the formula of the race

for example, if you had the Super Unit theme, you could apply that to any number of races. You could have Spider Queens fullfilling that role for a stereotypical Dark Elf race, Necromancers for the Undead, Airships for Dwarves, Golems for Mages, the list goes on. It's just you have to give them a little 'something' to make them /super/.

So the Spider Queen could control numerous spiders as a constant effect from a Carrion Beetle type ability, perhaps. The Necromancer could raise your entire army as a single unit. Airships could be a primary functionality of how bases operate for Dwarves. Golems could be produced on the field as giant siege weapons.

Level 16
Well i ment having only one at a time of such super unit.

Edit: Mmm kay what abut a free themed race contest. I mean not 100% free. The idea is to create a race that isn't a basic in warcraft so that means no orcs,humans,elfs,dwarfs or undead in the classical meaning.
Everything has to be new even the spells.
What do ya think?

Status
Not open for further replies.