• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Opex's Journey v1.0

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Opex's Journey
by Opex 3/10/21
"FOR THE BURNING BLADE!" Travel as Opex, the Legendary Blademaster, to become the most powerful blademaster the world has ever seen. The story begins as somewhat of a dream, without any clue to where you are nor where you are going. The Labyrinth is home to powerful monsters, to which you must defeat to progress. Along the journey you stumble across Twilight, another Hero confused on what is going on, yet also keen on finding a way out of the Labyrinth. Go forth and have fun on your journey, and good luck beating Opex's Journey!
*This map is the prequel to the map 'Journey Through Twisted Meadows'*
Previews
Contents

Opex's Journey v1.0 (Map)

Reviews
Achille
So I set some time to play this because it seemed like one of those games where a lot of grinding has to be done to get anywhere and I see that I was right. While at first I thought it was a game that may have been a poorly made rpg harkening back to...
deepstrasz
A rather simple map with little creativity but much monotony. Substandard. If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange! R U L E S Site Rules Map Submission Rules M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N BB CODES BB...
Level 15
So I set some time to play this because it seemed like one of those games where a lot of grinding has to be done to get anywhere and I see that I was right. While at first I thought it was a game that may have been a poorly made rpg harkening back to the dark ages of reign of chaos map making, I started to find some odd gems. The marine giving me a tip to drop serpent wards on the walls forced me to rethink the entire game. For a split moment, the game had an element of skill and strategy. You had to think about what creeps were in the room, target down the ranged units with your wards, and then kite the rest. But then things began to descend rather quickly. The game stopped rewarding clever play and instead incentivized grinding a room, leaving, and then coming back to grind again. This continued in a typical power creep fashion until your character was just attacking super fast and dealing lots of damage, everything just became auto attacking. This to me was a major disappointment, for a few minutes the game was absolutely intriguing, but then it gets pushed to the side.

After resigning myself to the grind as the game had too, I started playing it as such. After a few tomes my character had started to become fairly powerful. Yet this too was swept away the moment I leveled up, as I discovered that my Hero had been replaced with another from a higher tier with significantly lower stats due to the lack of tome bonuses. Simply replacing or moving over a new hero will not transfer stat bonuses granted from tomes, so now I was significantly de-powered and had to grind over again. There are simple ways around this, like storing an integer variable in accordance to the type of tome being picked up by the hero, and adding that integer to the new tier of hero upon transition. The fact that this was not added was rather confusing. The hero replacement woes did not stop there, the ability that had originally intrigued me to its versatility had been replaced by an aoe armor reduction. The game had descended into even more grinding with even less strategy, there was only the consideration of when to leave the room, and no sense of kiting. This was punctuated by the fact that there was only one room to clear before i could level up high enough to use a key, which replaced my hero again rendering tomes once again useless.

The game concluded with a boss battle that invoked the feeling of grinding through numerous levels and clicking the tome button every couple of minutes. It was a dps race involving divine shield, bash, and respawning regenerating aura machines.

My final feeling on this game is that I like the feeling I had when I was tier 1 and tactically clearing rooms with my abilities and kiting, it reminded me a bit of dark souls. If it were not for that feeling, I would not have continued playing the game personally. But this can be changed, adding variety to the abilities that can be used and a rescaling of enemies may yield interesting and fun results. It felt to me as though there was this really cool balance and challenge that was balanced and intriguing at the beginning but then swiftly thrown out the window.

This aside, here are a number of real issues that go beyond simple preference:

-The hero will often have skill points with nothing to spend those skill points on, early on this occurs at level 4, 7, and 16.
-The terrain has no variation and no real care put into it, there are boxed rooms and boxed hallways. At some point you go outside to a boxed woods.
-Power Ups do not transfer from hero tier to hero tier, this may be fixed using integer variables, check out Ralle's simple tutorial: Variables
-LEAKS! This is important if you are going to design this game to go the grinding route, EVERY time a unit is created in one of your rooms you are leaking the same location a number of times, check out Ralle's explanation of this: Things That Leak
-Some abilities are missing passive buttons that appear on the hero like lifesteal, having a passive button there to remind the player they have that ability is helpful.
-There is only ever one way to go and one room to clear, some variety on choice of direction would expand this games horizons significantly and actually make the dog useful later in the game.

There was a glimmer of real honest fun in there when I was using serpent ward, finding niche hints from npcs, and using my head for something other than smashing the keyboard. If you want to go the grindy direction that is on you and I respect that, but I will be watching for future updates with real interest on where it will go, and I will change my rating according to what I find in future updates.

Level 5
Hey thanks Achille for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed the serpent wards in the beginning, it is designed for faster experience in the early game as the later tiers are meant to be more of a grind. The point of which the grind becomes overwhelming is when you pick up Twilight. Those next 3 camps essentially require to be around level 80 to defeat. Then in order to go outside you must be level 100. So you can grind out the bottom right camp (heretics) in 15 minutes to go from level 50 to 80, which I agree sucks for the player and isn't perfect, but I did not want you to be able to continue that easily after picking up a second hero. The part where you lose stats are you serious? The newer tiers have much higher stats than lower tiers, how where you able to get so strong in the lower tiers (you don't have the money for massive tome drops)? Also, when going up tiers, the first few levels are suppose to seem weak as you are not used to this tier level yet, requiring you to get a few levels before the stats pile up and abilities become op (especially tier 2). Those tomes are designed to help progress at the current level, when tier increased you level back where you are suppose to be so you do not become over powerful and game too easy. Gotta ask, what is the problem with skill points? Is it OCD? There's nothing I can do about it if I want certain levels to upgrade and certain levels NOT to. Terrain isn't a concern of mine, I dealt with a terrain freak in Journey Through Twisted Meadows that made it clear to me no one will agree on terrain, so just make what makes sense in the game for the game (outside has terrain differences). Powerup transfers as I mentioned are not good for this game as the upgrade in tier levels out where you are suppose to be at in the game and not over powered. What leaks are you talking about that needs to not leak? The passive buttons I have trying to figure out for over a year now and still have no idea how to keep icons such as Healing Ward Aura or Life Steal, if you know how please let me know. I did want linear paths in this game, but yes of course variation would be nice. I would have to rework lots of triggers and rework the parameters etcetera but it is something to think about if I decide to put any more energy into this map (which is simply the single player prequel to another map, essentially an advertisement for the much better map). The dog is greatly useful from the moment you get him to the very last fight. The dog can be used to carry your placement into a new room while going back to heal. Then can TP to dog in room and fight each fight 1v1. The dog can be used to TP to certain items as well as help you carry extra items. I imagine I will update this from time to time, but it will certainly not be my focus map for this year. Thanks for playing, Cheers!

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
A rather simple map with little creativity but much monotony.
Substandard.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Wazzz
Alexen
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/