• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ragnar's Journey

Reactions: deepstrasz
This map is a both a trailer and a cinematic. It acts as a cinematic in the way that it recreates the intro single player cinematic of the past popular Norse fighting game, Rune. It acts as a trailer as well by bringing in elements that I used from the actual game to design an experience that allows me to utilize because I want to know weather I should move forth in recreating the awesome rune singleplayer campaign.

I made this out of boredom to begin with and took me about 2 days so it's not super amazing; the triggering answers that in itself as well because I'm not too adept on that field.

The resources such as sounds, and models aren't made by me but of various different authors already creditted during the map loading page. I'd like to thank those people for the great resources that allowed me manipulate the progression of the cinematic very well.

I also understand that the file size is pretty big but I took no seriousness into the matter because it's only a cinematic.

In addition, to make matters clear, I am Battlemapsta in The Helper forums which is why I chose that for the author's name in the cinematic. I made a thread in The Helper to for this map so if you doubt me, go and clarify there.

Keywords:
Rune, Norse, Viking, Trailer, Cinematic, Ragnar, Journey, Ragnar's Journey, Runestone, Odin, Loki.
Contents

Ragnar's Journey (Map)

Reviews
09:49, 2nd Jul 2009 Linaze: Invalid author name and contains uncredited resources. 03:14, 3rd Jul 2009 Linaze: Rather entertaining cinematic about Norse mythology. The terrain wasn't that good, and I strongly suggest switching tileset from...

M

09:49, 2nd Jul 2009
Linaze: Invalid author name and contains uncredited resources.

03:14, 3rd Jul 2009
Linaze: Rather entertaining cinematic about Norse mythology. The terrain wasn't that good, and I strongly suggest switching tileset from Lordaeron to Village, since its basically got the same tiles, but looks better. Some more doodads and height variation wouldn't hurt either, though. The music was fitting and the battle scene was rather cool. There were also lots of camera movement even though the camera moved a bit choppy from time to time. The villagers didn't really look like vikings, which was a shame since I didn't really get a Norse feeling about this cinematic, but well, the cinematic was overall quite well done and entertaining.

nice work.

+Your Camera work was quiet well, no stuck or something like that.
+The Custom models all fit together
+Nice background story

-After he brought Up you made him fight this fast and so many different battles, that i dont understand the end of this cinematic and who was his enemy and which side they belong.
-Like said before, the end is not clear and the story is a bit short^^

Level 4
That's the issue in it being done fast, my biggest concern was mixing the lux aeterna song with the cinematic. In the game there is a confrontation with past friends that results in the storms being sent against ragnar and kills him. I didn't have enough time to adjust that.

As for the battle scenes, if you actually know the game you can tell the first one is the battle with Ulf and the snowy battles are ones with dark vikings in the mountains. It's really a lot better to watch already having played the game.

Level 31
1) Description - The description seems to be ok, although it can be improve. However, please add credit list into the cinematic and not at the loading screen.

2) Terrain & Fog - The terrain isn't at the best at most of the spot. Infact, some spot could use more tiles variation and destructible/doodad. The place that could use improvement would be the dock and battle scene, even I only manage to have a glance at the terrain of the dock; the dock doesn't seems to be at the best while the battle scene only show a place that was completely surrounded by door.

3) Camera & Scripting - The camera isn't at his top performance, there is a few badly selected angle and the camera show a sign of choppy movement when it zoom off from the holy shrine scene.

I also notice the fence at the left side of the shrine became invisible when the camera zoom into specific point.

As for scripting, it certainly isn't at the best performance. Because it lack of a few basic setup, the music, the battle scene and the camera was effected by it.

4) Animation & Special Effect - As for sfx, the usage was mild and the animation speed should be reduce. I notice the model raise his sword soo quickly that it was hardly noticeable.

The animation usage was utilize at the holy shrine scene, but certainly not at the battle scene.

5) Music & Sound - At the beginning of the cinematic, there is absolutely no music. The music depends on which race you select at the lobby and it only be play at the last 20-30 seconds of the cinematic.

As for sound effect and voice act, it was quite well set as far as I see.

Overall - The replayability values was probably mediocre, the voice act would probably increase the replayability. However, the early introduction and the battle scene might not be as interesting as the audience hope. At the early of the cinematic, the camera angle was badly chosen and it seems to be focus more on the shore around the holy shrine rather than the holy shrine itself.

Apart from that, the music was suddenly play at rather loud volume all of the sudden and the battle scene was rather dull. The battle scene have waiting syndrome and more towards hack and slash without any interesting sequence at all. The battle scene would be better if the animation usage was fully utilize and the terrain was far better.

The crediting should also been improve. From what I seen, the quality was between 2/5 (Lacking ) and 3/5 (Useful). However, I decide to vote 2/5 based on what I seen at the terrain, camera, music, crediting technique and how the battle scene has been done.

I liked the story. Lol, the narrator said something about Midgard :p (A big city in Final fantasy 7)

1) terrain wasn't good
2) the trees in the background are stacked, and don't look real
3) I liked the voice acting, but sometimes the text and the talker wasn't the same
4) the water sound was very annoying, and you can hear how it finishs and start again
5) no music, and you were able to hear the normal wc3 music
6) the battles were average, but tuned
7) at the end of the narrator scene, the camera goes through many trees
8) you used not many doodads
9) no fog, which would have been good, for example at the scene with the boat
10) add credits after the cinematic was played

not bad, but this cinematic could need some improvements.

Level 7
I've just watched it and I thought it was quite good.
The terrain could need a few improvements here and there, but all in all I was pleased by what I saw, and I would be very interested in playing a campaign involving the norse mythology.

Btw @Amigurumi Look at this

Level 3
=( my paper comp cant open it, this map size too big... any way how to fix this ? or this is cure less ?

Level 4
Talk about a nostalgia hit. I took quite a long hiatus from Warcraft for the past couple of years and just now noticed the pleasant commentary. I may consider perfecting this cinematic in the coming days should the motivation arise.

I always thought it was an okay attempt but not one I envisioned would sufficiently capture (in a minimalist perspective of course) the awesomeness of the game it was trying to represent (Rune in case you missed it). I'll definitely keep you all posted should changes come!

Level 8
I watched this cinematic:
PROS:
Nice background story
Fine voices
CONS:
Terrain, except the runestone area
The Monk model's mouth
Text are slower than voice...
Camera positions are weird
no fog, which would have been good, for example at the scene with the boat
yes