Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

New Resource Sections

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Archian, Sep 17, 2020.

1. loktar

loktar

Model Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I do agree there should be a distinction between buggy/low quality models (or other resources) and simple but useful edits, which there isn't right now.
    With these changes, the most logical thing seems to be to move simple but useful edits to Approved and reserve substandard for buggy/low quality stuff.

2. chopinski

chopinski

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Finally! I hope the modders from Warcraft Underground Community use this as an opportunity, their work is the best in the HD area.

3. Shido

Shido

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well I have mixed feeling about changing the rating on resources.

The good: High Quality & DC are amazing because imagine having your works got tons of these rating are worth to be proud of. Like: “ Holy Pasta, this man must be a badass because all of his stuff are true magnum opus. “

The bad: Now, i’m no coward but having a rejected if your stuffs aren’t qualify enough to be at least “something” is way too negative. Especially not having Substandard in the middle of R-A. It’s like you have a coal, a stone and a gold, should you reconsider throw anything else take the gold instead. “One man trash is another man treasure.” But Rejected can be fitting to something example like stolen map, violation or something worse.

The ugly: I’m having some question mark about HQ and DC tho. I understand the “ You rock” sign but i got mislead to horn sign. I dunno, but probably my biggest concern is why HQ purple. Maybe this one I actually need an answer.

4. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Purple is the colour of nobility, royalty.
    And then, blue and yellow, that of god blood and their golden perfection.

5. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    I think there aren't that many maps that are blatantly rejected though. I think, if the map maker uploads a map of sub-par quality and then getting instructions by reviewers on what needs to change before it gets approved, and the map maker then chooses to not do any additional changes, it warrants rejection. If a person takes the criticism that is given by the reviewers and actively works towards making his map up to the standards that are set for approval then he or she will manage to reach that goal.

6. Chaosy

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Quite ironic that the old system would not have this issue.

Back when moderator ratings was used a filter you would give a 4/5 or 5/5 rating to decent stuff, 3/5 for acceptable/okay, 2/5 for quick edits or mildly flawed submissions or 1/5 for unacceptable
    Admittedly I had (still have) a problem with mods being able to issue 0/5 ratings, but assuming it's from 1 to 5 I thought it was simple and effective.

edit:

Logically, a rating system with 5 states will be more accurate than a system that has 2.

7. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    This definitely seems like a positive move especially with the re-moderation of HD resources.

Also the re-addition of HQ and DC is interesting and I'm quite neutral on it, I see nothing wrong with it and its an added extra though obviously not a necessity. So I'll look forward to seeing some of the awesome resources getting recognition.

As for the question over substandard I know a lot of people feel strongly about it. To me, the name has never seemed particularly offensive and was a good way for useful and simple edits to be made available without being approved but perhaps the issue was it not being clear what it meant for an asset to be substandard compared to say "awaiting fix". At the end of the day a substandard resource should work and shouldnt have any kind of bugs but is merely not unique or original enough to be approved. I believe any resource with bugs should be set to awaiting fix and after being fixed set to substandard/approved.

That said a model of a grunt with an axe for a head should always be rejected even if it is otherwise free of bugs because such a model is just pointless. Things like geomerged footman and knights etc are different because of their sheer utility. Looking at substandard theres some models that maybe should be rejected or approved and the sections ambiguity has been to its detriment.

Either way nice to see the site moving with the times and cant wait to see Heroes of the Storm models with Normals and ORMs made available for Reforged.

8. loktar

loktar

Model Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This is a good idea. Substandard could be scrapped and replaced with needs fix (Awaiting Update renamed to Needs Fix) and the bugless substandard resources moved to Approved, and obviously good models that aren't simple edits moved to HQ.
    Awaiting Update could be kept as is (and Needs Fix be an entirely new rating) if it automatically changes to Needs Fix after a certain amount of time.

So then the ratings would be: DC > HQ > Approved > (Awaiting Update >) Needs Fix > Restricted

9. Darklycan51

Darklycan51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    OMG YES, I'd love forever anyone who ports aoe 3 de models <3

10. Shido

Shido

Resources:
    Resources:
    I mean you can think of something a map can be redeemable as at least something subpar than ilegal.
    Seriously, Substandard has reason to be existed. Giving somebody resources a substandard is telling: " hey, your stuff isn't qualify enough to be approved. Since either you need to pause for break or decide not to update, your stuff can't put on main page but at least you can take your time come back for improvement."

Also if a substandard isn't add to the middle of Rejected-Approved, could they at least put a thumb middle instead of "a scale for fair but not enough".

This is my recommended solution to sunsetting "Substandard". :cgrin: Put a middle thumb with yellow bg and call it a day.

[​IMG] [​IMG](i'm not good at editing, forgive me.) I'm kinda realized that this isn't how thumb middle meant to be, just thumb up with 90 degree on your right.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  11. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    hm.. all this new stuff and reforged is still at a price i'm not willing to pay for.. ah well

12. Darklycan51

Darklycan51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    did u ask retera to buy you reforged? xD he bought it recently to some guy who asked him on w3u

13. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No. Then there would be less resources. Buggy stuff from Substandard could eventually be fixed by others. If they remain in Restricted or Awaiting Update, they get lost to oblivion.
    Awaiting Update and Needs Fix are the same thing. Basically, you're renaming Substandard. It's confusing.
    That would actually be offensive :p akin to the middle finger.

14. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    considering i poked retera the most in the 'low-poly era' of warcraft, i am not so sure about that xD

15. Goffterdom

Goffterdom

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm glad you made these changes :)

The Reforged Model Section looked like a trial on court.

I'm sure it will bring new horizons to Warcraft Reforged modding and new a breath of motivation to all modders out there!

16. loktar

loktar

Model Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah true. Just keep Substandard, don't care if they change the name or not.

17. Scias

Scias

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Does the addition of new badges that reward high quality mean that the quality standard of approvable resources is gonna be lowered?

Since it still doesn't make sense to me that there are resources with thousands of downloads being labelled substandard.

18. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, let's not confuse download numbers with quality and usefulness when those things might be buggy.

19. Scias

Scias

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    What if the resource isn't buggy? And has, say, 6k downloads, yet still remain in substandard? Who's standard does it not meet?

20. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If it's buggy, which is what I warned we should be careful of, then it should be there.
    On the other hand, there might be non-buggy and useful things in Substandard that don't have many downloads.