• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #22 [Reforged or Classic]

In which graphics of the game should we terrain next?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day folks. I just thought maybe it's time to discuss what version of the game should we use in the next terraining contest. Since the release of Warcraft 3 Reforged we now have two options in terraining, SD / classic graphics, and HD / reforged graphics. As for my opinion we can't have both in the contest, HD terrainers have a great advantage since the assets in Reforged looks better than what we have in the classic (even if you combine classic assets with the assets made by the community) - not miles better but a talented classic terrainer can surely compete (fladdermasken's works for example looks like they were made in Reforged but his works was created years before the Reforged), also the judges will have a hard time judging the terrains made in different versions.

We can discuss about this topic here. Should we stick to the classic terraining just like the previous contests? Or should we go Reforged graphics so we can see something new?
- Or should we discuss how can we make it fair for SD terrainers to compete with HD terrainers? Is it really unfair? Does the Editor set to HD offer more than the SD/Classic?

(This isn't a discussion about the theme for the next terraining contest, that will be a separate thread)

Last edited:
As much as I hate the new Reforged stuff that's going on at the moment, I think we should do Reforged simply because it introduces new assets and new possibilities. I feel that the terraining assets that are currently available have been used a million times before.

If we have a Reforged terraining contest we can truly test the limits of Reforged and push them to their absolute maximum:p

Level 29
vote for both:

-some users are asking for a refund of wc reforged because of bugs, others are not purchasing because of bad press.

so to have a wide fan of participants: it should consider both, and the judging should consider the quality of both versions. mean entries will clarify wich version are using, and judges will judge according to the quality of both versions.

Level 39
Reforged specifically, but participants may enter with Classic terrain if they wish/they don't own Reforged. All entries judged relative to each other without consideration for which version of the game it was made in.

All entries judged relative to each other without consideration for which version of the game it was made in.
Are you saying a terrain made in reforged should be judged the same as a terrain made in classic version? It's considerably far from justice, as the graphics differ a lot. Unless the judges won't be conquered by the new reforged entries' graphics, or.. some kind of new rules would be created.

Level 39
participants may enter with Classic terrain if they wish/they don't own Reforged.
If you want to compete using classic that's on you, but you shouldn't be barred from doing so if you have to use classic. If you perceive a disadvantage, nut up and spend the money for Reforged, pirate the reforged editor, or accept it and do your best. I'm saying literally don't think about it for judging or voting (though that could never be guaranteed for a poll). If you're judging this contest, you should be competent enough to not go "ooh pretty lights and shiny models I like" and instead look at the terrain piece as a whole.

I guess we're going mixed (HD and SD) next terraining contest, but as of right now Reforged scenic terraining is not ready yet (I tested it myself) due to broken fog and lighting in the editor, we'll probably start a new terraining contest once Blizzard fix the current version of the editor.

As of my opinion (after my testing) I think Reforged graphics is not really far from the graphics of the classic, reforged doesn't really offer great advantage over classic users (as of the current patch) apart from the high quality models, classic users can still find high quality models somewhere that they can use to compete with reforged users/contestants.

This thread is unpopular so I decided to report this thread to move this to contests archive.

Status
Not open for further replies.