• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Models "Substandard/too simple" section is stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically stolen models, crappy edit without permission/credits , and game rips are sent there alongside with legit bad models.
And they are still available for download and not deleted exemple : This one and this one
Model in that section are not displayed in user "ressource" tab.
So you are forced to browse that dumpster manualy page by page in order to find out one of your model has been stolen.
Not only it support art theft but make it harder for author to report/signal it.
And yet again it won't be any useful to signal because mods just send stolen model to substandard section.

If you think a model is crappy, substandard, break the site rules then just delete it.Don't make a massive unmoderated dumpster where you put all the crap in it.

as of now, current policy is indeed to delete resources that break the rules and keep the substandard section as a place where resources are not quite up to par but fall within the rules.

however, when the hive moved to 2.0, all rejected resources were moved to substandard - including the old ones that broke rules. that explains why they're there, and yeah it will require either a huge organised purge or a redesign of the substandard section to solve this issue.

Level 12
all rejected resources were moved to substandard - including the old ones that broke rules

I brought this up already & I'm sure Ralle is watching,

Either way I'm with the topic, I don't like it sorry, it's a mess, take it as you wish

- When I click on Models
- There are 3 sections
- 1. Submissions | 2. Substandard / Too Simple | 3. I'm officially lost

For me to figure out what any of these are I have to go & read the forums or ask for help. I'm a map author of 07 (technically 05) due to lost account & I cannot for the life of me find my way around this site. The old hive I was literally 10 years old & I read things just fine, I think the main problem is that Hive 2.0 is using "new words" that feel way out of context for a average user & some small details of information is missing (mostly the new stuff) to explain to the user what anything is.

Major concerns

1. Submissions sub-category is "Upload your model here" - I'm not even sure what a Submission is, approved? waiting for approval? rejected? I don't know what anything is here.
2. Substandard / Too Simple - No sub-category to explain what it is for people, I don't know why this is located near the top if it's considered "junk", it's like taking a light switch saying up is off and down is on.
3. No named Models...? I don't understand what I'm looking at, Currently Uploaded? Approved? Updated? There's nothing that explains what it is except a bunch of models.

Last edited:
Level 50
I never really understood the purpose of section for rejected resources. Site even removed DC section, one which made sense, and left utter-shit display in form of hundreds of substandard rejected bundles. I mean why it is always quantity over quality? In my opinion good number of approved resources we have are shit as well. And with this new ratings thing, you can't even filter the dirt.

Last edited:
Level 50
Basically stolen models, crappy edit without permission/credits , and game rips are sent there alongside with legit bad models.
And they are still available for download and not deleted exemple : This one and this one
Model in that section are not displayed in user "ressource" tab.TSo you are forced to browse that dumpster manualy page by page in order to find out one of your model has been stolen.
Not only it support art theft but make it harder for author to report/signal it.
And yet again it won't be any useful to signal because mods just send stolen model to substandard section.

If you think a model is crappy, substandard, break the site rules then just delete it.Don't make a massive unmoderated dumpster where you put all the crap in it.
I totally agree with you. Deleted resources are still in the mention section and I think substandard section should not exist. It could be good if we can just vote if it should stay or not. I don't like Resources system at all now, old one was better. Just my thoughts.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

No mod ratings = no more DC since everything is only approved or rejected
Oh it's because of this. You'd figure that after community doesn't warmly welcome a feature that was implemented as a result of only internal discussion you'd set up a poll, but that's implying hive is a democracy.

Edit: @Stefan.K very inspiring sig!

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
No mod ratings = no more DC since everything is only approved or rejected
We need a proper Director's Cut policy. All moderators/reviewers from said resource section should decide whether a resource is worthy of that or not. Most moderator ratings were made by 1 person anyway.
I think substandard section should not exist.
Then, only Director's Cut and Approved? Or?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Model in that section are not displayed in user "ressource" tab.
So you are forced to browse that dumpster manualy page by page in order to find out one of your model has been stolen.

As mentioned above, it's not that they intentionally put all the old deleted stuff/rips/stolen stuff there on purpose, trying to hold onto it; it's just that all the Hive 1.0 stuff that was deleted got reinstated.

Instead of griping & complaining to the (already under-manned over-worked Staff), let's rally together & start flagging it. Sure it's 1000's of models, but with 100's of people going through it & commenting it won't take long, methinks.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
nstead of griping & complaining to the (already under-manned over-worked Staff), let's rally together & start flagging it. Sure it's 1000's of models, but with 100's of people going through it & commenting it won't take long, methinks
That if somebody knows which models were actually made/replicated (=/=extracted from another game and converted to .mdx) to be for the Warcraft III engine and which are blatant ripoffs.

Pretty sure this section could have been deleted in 3 clicks.It has nothing to do with understaffed but bad decision making.
In old Hive they were all rejected model.They could have deleted all old rejected models before mixing them with legit underaverage model and make it a mess.
But they instead leave it in its state and start puting legit model in it.Now you have to sort this mess manualy.
It's like re-approving all rejected models and having to reject them again.Thier fault.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Pretty sure this section could have been deleted in 3 clicks.It has nothing to do with understaffed but bad decision making.
In old Hive they were all rejected model.They could have deleted all old rejected models before mixing them with legit underaverage model and make it a mess.
But they instead leave it in its state and start puting legit model in it.Now you have to sort this mess manualy.
It's like re-approving all rejected models and having to reject them again.Thier fault.
We don't honestly know how difficult it would have been to actually delete all the Hive 1.0 'deleted'/rejected resources.

If it wasn't that easy, obviously ya oughta lay off.

If it was that easy, well gosh let's keep crucifying him! Mistakes were made. My suggestion isn't optimal, but it's the next best thing, I feel.

That if somebody knows which models were actually made/replicated (=/=extracted from another game and converted to .mdx) to be for the Warcraft III engine and which are blatant ripoffs.
True, but that's the wonder of crowd-sourcing; get enough people & your bound to have some who know the difference.

And if not, well, we're no worse off than we are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.