1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Display an user's substandard resources at Resources tab

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Eagle XI, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Eagle XI

Eagle XI

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Can we keep displaying bundles that ended up in the substandard bin at the posting account's Profile page's Resources Tab ? because right now have to log in, access profile page, view Postings tab and sift through posts on that list to find something residing in that section.
    Is substandard section an recycle bin or an proper section ? if its supposed to become the latter then why hide an resource in there at the first place.

2. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I am not sure everyone would be happy with it. I am hiding them because I believe some people would feel embarrassed to have them show. Then again, they could just delete them I guess.

Anyway, I am currently reworking the moderation system. I will revisit this when it's ready.

3. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    :D if two sections could be implemented under the Resources tab.

4. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I think your wish will be granted. If people truly are embarrassed, I think they would delete the thing that embarrasses them anyway.

5. Murlocologist

Murlocologist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    There is no option to delete it on new hive or am I missing something?

6. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Please for the love of all good things, do not delete any resources that you upload to this site. The word "Substandard" is misleading and will be changed to something much more fitting. Like for instance, "Useful Models".

Only problem is, that section is a complete mess. We are currently working on a solution.

And like Ralle said:

So stay tuned guys!

7. General Frank

General Frank

3D Modeling Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If I see some models that got ripped from my models, I DO get embarrassed.

8. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah. Those should definitely be gone.

9. General Frank

General Frank

3D Modeling Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That would be fine. Also, it would be good to let the users decide whether they want their resources to be deleted if they don't like them personally.

10. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I believe there's a way for that even though it's not a full delete. Basically you can replace the uploaded file with something else.

11. General Frank

General Frank

3D Modeling Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    But that's bullshit.
    I know that posts are kinda belonging to Ralle, but resources should belong to the creators and to them only. It would be super shitty if you don't have the creative right and the intellectual property of something you worked on very hard.

12. Murlocologist

Murlocologist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I don't think substandard quality stuff should be protagonized to that degree to equal it with legit resources in user tab. Even though it may be useful, it is rule breaking this way or another. Every mod hosting websites draw the line at some point when it comes to standard of uploads. Because if they wouldn't, philosophy would be anything goes. Quantity would come before quality in theory.

I also agree with @General Frank. When someone wants to remove content he created, for whatever reason, decision should be on him only.

13. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Vaktmästare

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Technically, users still decide. It's totally alright to put out a request to have your resources taken down. If you legitimately want to, we will make it happen. We just don't want it to be user-regulated to save us the trouble of having to manually restore them whenever somebody ragequits and makes a rash decision to pull all his/her resources, and then returns a day/week after and wants them back up. A huuuuge majority of all Staff Contact threads that request this end up with the user going back on the request after calming down a bit.

14. Chaosy

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well my recent experience with deletion was annoying.
    I wanted to delete two of my maps, I could not find a delete button so I made an empty map named "DELETE THIS" and spammed the description with "xxxxxxxxx"

A mod deleted it without me making a thread that way.

As for displaying substandard - no. Please don't, at least not in the current state.
    There are some fairly good stuff in the substandard sections but there are also really shitty ones. Those are not exactly worthy of being displayed IMO.

15. General Frank

General Frank

3D Modeling Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That is totally understandable, but as I said the author should be in full control of his or her work, not just technically. I would be ashamed to see if a rouge mod or user uploads stuff that previously been deleted, even if it is for a very dumb reason. I know this is supposed to be a community and deleting is not good in the first place, but it should be noted that this is not a service the resource creators are giving to the community, it is their free time and passion they are spending, even if they just want to showcase soemthing they have made. I for myself can totally understand if someone wants to make down their stuff for good and I can understand if they want to reinstate them if they have calmed down.

But if you are concerned or can't simply be bothered with the fact that users are unpredictable and can make stupid decisions just make the sytem idiot-proof and hassle-free. That way you will save both time and effort in the long run. This IS a community after all and the majority should lie in the hands of the active users, IMO.

16. Chaosy

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Just make the user to un-delete their own threads/submissions. That would solve the problem.

17. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm a big believer in this. Clean-up (& the necessary renaming) of the "Substandard" section is imminent and will be handled as necessary, but when I am looking for an artist's resources I want to find all of them; anything they haven't hidden via deletion, that is.

18. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If they could separate the Substandard from the normal section under the Resources tab, why not?
    That's like partially giving moderator privileges :) Let's see if they can/will do it.

19. Murlocologist

Murlocologist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Reasoning for deleting stuff you made doesn't need to be even legitimate. You can do it just because. Your work - your decision. Website where you uploaded your work is a host and should only request for legit explanations from author when he asks for content he removed to be un-deleted and put back on.
    In my opinion, once you delete it, it is deleted. No re upload or bringing it back to submissions section.
    Equalizing low quality with standard resources wouldn't mind me if there was moderator rating to filter and separate them.

20. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah, but see, the website can be smart and say: "you want your stuff hosted here? Then we decide if it's to be deleted or not regardless of your complaints. Site's policy."