• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #1 - Races

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
ok, i expanded my last piece. Well, i expanded it cause it seemed too short.

And i still have no damn idea about which race it is about :/ . If there was an ice elf race in warcraft, i think it'd suit them perfectly. Or some sort of sky race.

Anyway, i don't think this can go much much further, the idea is there, the composition is there, so if you have any suggestions tell me before i say it's my last entry :p

Attachments

• othersong.mp3
    4.6 MB · Views: 82
Level 6
Army-Of-Pandas, I think you may even add me in your list ;)
I am trying to make a celtic/dwarfish fiddle music. I'll post the wip soon as it's at least 1 minute long. However I am doing lot's of stuff now (Music contest, learning modeling, animating, skinning, c4d creating, hosting contest at another site, and mostly, the exams are coming up). However, I am glad this contest's deadline is still in march.

ok i was wondering if i can create a music set (3 songs) that fit like in intro to an entire world. I know it's epic rather than sticking to a single race, but if I had to pin it to something i would go with humans, again jsut wondering before i accually start hehe.
BTW: I'm great at creating sad themes.
Edit: i can even post the summery of the sotry I'm writting that it would fit to. That way it goes a long with the 'explaining the theme' part of the rules.

ok i was wondering if i can create a music set (3 songs) that fit like in intro to an entire world. I know it's epic rather than sticking to a single race, but if I had to pin it to something i would go with humans, again jsut wondering before i accually start hehe.
BTW: I'm great at creating sad themes.
Edit: i can even post the summery of the sotry I'm writting that it would fit to. That way it goes a long with the 'explaining the theme' part of the rules.

The contest is to create a single musical piece that fits into the theme - choice 1 race and go with it. Well I don't see a problem of a story fitting with it, but don't forget to actually explain how it fits in to the theme.

Level 48
Sounds nice enough. However, those background sounds which I guess are supposed to be blacksmithing sounds... They don't fit and kinda make the music more ugly. I think that your music will fit more in a dwarven pub rather than in Ironforge or in some generic smithy, so I suggest you to either get rid of the background sounds as a whole, or replace them with something more fitting.

Level 6
ok, i expanded my last piece. Well, i expanded it cause it seemed too short.

And i still have no damn idea about which race it is about :/ . If there was an ice elf race in warcraft, i think it'd suit them perfectly. Or some sort of sky race.

Anyway, i don't think this can go much much further, the idea is there, the composition is there, so if you have any suggestions tell me before i say it's my last entry :p

11 views and no comment?

my piece must suck big time :/

I think people should submit at the end submission their project file to prevent cheating and copy/paste from other songs or midis and stuff like that

Well the thing is not all the judges are going to have every program used to make the music, so I don't think this is feasible - it's a very valid point but any program is accepted, already we have FL Studio, Guitar Pro and possibly some more to come - why would a none guitarist have Guitar Pro?

I'm using Magix music maker :eek:

Yes, and that is fine - I was simple stating the point that not everyone has the same exact programs and thus can't open everyone else's project files. Maybe the screanshot idea may work, but we are a little ways into the contest to start changing up the rules. Perhaps revisions for the next music contest, for now I would hope that entries would respect the rights of musicians - and that the judges should keep a close ear on pieces that seem copied.

Level 4
Drenferalis: In.

I have used FL before this but not too much... Im in. Maybe Ill get a WIP up soon. Not sure though, I scratch out ideas too quickly :/

Edit: WIP Posted, VERY early stage of work.
Guess what I'm going after...

Attachments

• WC3 WIP.mp3
    3.4 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Level 6
Xarwin, i would never give out the raw project file to anyone, but I'd be fine with screenshots etc to avoid cheating.

Those tracks were meant to be made for a contest only, so requirment of pasting projects should be fine. Ill be fine with that, and sorry, far too easy to fake screenshot. If ill be asked to upload a project, ill do it. This piece of track means nothing to me, as again, was meant to be done for contest only.

Level 6
Well if there ever is a future Music Contest that requires the raw file to be posted, I'll just skip that one.

I would rather livestream me making the track than give out the original file :D

Well yes the entries are made for the contest, but the original artist should still maintain rights to his/her own piece. Yes visual artists have to put their work up, but we don't force them to write a tutorial on how they drew it step by step. I don't think uploading the raw file is the best option here. Your entering the contest because you'd like to, it's not like your work is no longer yours because you made it for a contest.

@Drenferalis

Wow, that's pretty trippy sounding. Sounds pretty cool, just make sure everything still makes musical sense (not saying that it's not, it's just easy to lose sight of what notes blatantly sound wrong when your working with a piece like that)

Level 6
after a bit of reading some warcraft lore to find a suitable race, i remembered elementals (which were in the recomended list to begin with, i just didn't notice them :p ). So I think water elementals are the best race to fit.

Also, since it sounds kinda skyish, i think harpies are a good choice too, even though i prefer water elementals.

Attachments

• water elements.mp3
    4.9 MB · Views: 101

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
after a bit of reading some warcraft lore to find a suitable race, i remembered elementals (which were in the recomended list to begin with, i just didn't notice them :p ). So I think water elementals are the best race to fit.

Also, since it sounds kinda skyish, i think harpies are a good choice too, even though i prefer water elementals.

Sounds good for some-type of fantasy game of some kind, but 3 minutes? bit long from my point. It doesn't matter though

Level 4

WAYYY too hard on the bass. Pulls all the feel of the music to the bass and it seems to be the same 2 drumlines over and over again... Just my opinion...

Level 6
yeah, i was thinking elementals.

And about the bass, i just can't seem to make piano... i don't know, louder, so it is the primary melody.

And at some points the guitar is supposed to be leading, but i can't calibrate it for when it's only background.

Status
Not open for further replies.