• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #1 - Races

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Update:

The hunters are now most certainly on their way. Soon, a great chase shall begin.

Attachments

• The TaurenWIP3.zip
    9.2 KB · Views: 81
Level 10
Attention

This is the 'gamma stage' of the music. Every update from me is going to be simple bug fixing. Even if I do make a major redo, it would be because of a bug. Shortly, this is one of the final 'Cavern' releases.
Below is the file, in the .rar archive. Included with the MIDI is the Guitar Pro 5© file of the latest piece.
Thank you.

Attachments

• The Cavern-Darkgamma.rar
    18 KB · Views: 126
Darkgamma, I really enjoyed your music. Especially the intro. I think it would suit for a tetris game though, because it didn't sound very warcraft-ish.

I hope to dispel any confusion you guys may have about this contest. This is a Music contest, not a Warcraft Background Music contest - thus none of the music has to be made as background music or to fit the style of Warcraft music. The music simply has to fit the theme of a race, any wc3 race (lore or otherwise). The music doesn't even need to be compatible with wc, midi files are accepted. Write with the race in mind, not the game.

I understand most people get this, but I was starting to get a feeling that some people think that the music must work in Wc, which is not the truth.

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
My former post

Anyway, i added a flute cause it sounded Draeneish (unlike the bad guitar which i had eariler). Added a brass-like instrument. And well, that's pretty much it. May make some adjustments but this is what it's going to sound like.
Tips:
Overall seems ok. in the middle it has a pretty good steady beat too it, but the begining seemed pretty slow. I suggest adding another mystical beat in with it all too level out everything.

Level 23
EMPerror, your music would fit Broken or Lost Ones perfectly, however it is to similar.
If you work on it and give it a "crystal" feeling, you will get the draenei feel.

However I am pleased with your wish to make draenei music.

Level 10
I hope to dispel any confusion you guys may have about this contest. This is a Music contest, not a Warcraft Background Music contest - thus none of the music has to be made as background music or to fit the style of Warcraft music. The music simply has to fit the theme of a race, any wc3 race (lore or otherwise). The music doesn't even need to be compatible with wc, midi files are accepted. Write with the race in mind, not the game.

I understand most people get this, but I was starting to get a feeling that some people think that the music must work in Wc, which is not the truth.

I know it doesn't need to work in Wc3, but still, this is my map music, or at least it will be once I find out how to turn it into MP3 :hohum:

Switch Audio Converter: Free audio file changing program - can convert to less commenly used audio file types like RAW's and Orggis Vorbis

Check First post
http://www.nch.com.au/switch/

If your talking about getting it from Guitar Pro go to export, then go to wav. Yada yada yada, records your song, put it in switch and you got an Mp3.

And no it's not you that seemed confused - I think it was Bishop of Doom, but I'm too lazy to go back a page.

Level 4
Wish I had the proper stuff for doing sound. I would use Acid, but I lost all my music loops and tracks some time ago. :(

Still, would like to see the outcome of the contest.
And I would also love to judge the contest. I have a damn good ear for good music, especially if it's a score.

Level 6
I would like to submit a contest audio in .wav for Night Elves race. Entire 2.53s audio is meant to show a pure and trackless vision of Night Elf forest. If you will listen closer you can feel like this track is taking you on the tour through Elven woods where no human ever stood his foot. Can be also understood as a Night Elf history if compared with campaign. I wanted to make this track soft in overall, but medium over the end to highlight Scourage invasion.

One sample taken from Blank & Jones - Forrest, in the end of the track.

Due to Hive limits I am forced to upload this track on Sendspace. Hopefully it's not against contest rules. I don't want to lose quality by converting it into lower frequency format and Hive uploader doesn't accept .wav files. Audio file has been made in ProTools, but due to licence limiation (made on academic version) I couldn't export it in stereo format. It's a raw .wav file. Hope you will enjoy it.

In case of any trouble, I am ready to bring a project file.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/t9migj

[*]The contest shall begin on January 17th and conclude on March 3rd, 11:59 PM, GMT[/list]

Hmm. It was just changed when I uploaded mine.

I don't want to lose quality by converting it into lower frequency format and Hive uploader doesn't accept .wav files.
You can convert it into OGG and not lose any valuable quality in the audio.

Songs in WAV formats are very tedious for downloaders (specially they who don't have epic internet connections) because they have way more filesize than OGG and MP3.

Music Contest rules said:
Your submission must be posted before the deadline. Your post must include the music in an accepted file Format (MP3, OGG, or MIDI) and an accompanying explanation of the song (i.e. explain how it fits into the theme).

And players like Winamp, Foobar2000, Media Player Classic and XMPlay plays OGG files very fine.

Level 6
Ok, in a burst of inspiration, i started a totally new song. If i can make it better (and find a suitable race), i think that'd be my entry.

anyway, since the server is busy i wanted to write this reply before i can't access it again (been doing that to me for the last few hours... seems i'm out of luck)

Oh, and it really reminds me of another song. I don't know which one, but i bet there is another similar song. If anyone can find it, post it so i know if it is too similar >.<

Attachments

• othersong.mp3
    4.1 MB · Views: 68

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
Ok, in a burst of inspiration, i started a totally new song. If i can make it better (and find a suitable race), i think that'd be my entry.

anyway, since the server is busy i wanted to write this reply before i can't access it again (been doing that to me for the last few hours... seems i'm out of luck)

Oh, and it really reminds me of another song. I don't know which one, but i bet there is another similar song. If anyone can find it, post it so i know if it is too similar >.<

It overall seems like a final fantasy type music.

Nice - I was hoping we'd get some electro style music in this contest

Windows Media Player sucks and begs for an apocalypse.

Hey, Itunes sucks but It's widely used and accepted. The main thing is that everyone has windows media player (I'm not too sure whats the mac equivalent), I would suggest Winamp anyways, even if it's just for the amazing visualizations it comes with.

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
Ive done the liberty to gather all the contestants that may or may not enter the contest. This list may change overtime.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HappyTauren
Dentothor
naitsirk
Watchman
CoBrA b
Fanny.Shaver
Teuncreemers
DudeSpirit
Xarwin
CloudWolf
Nara-shikamaru
Just_Spectating
Syleona
HappyCockroach
Darkgamma
EMPerror
EvilKnight
havard1993

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Correct me if i missed anyone)

Last edited:
its really hard to start

and my program sucks to begin with,

don't expect too much from me

Have you tried any of these?

Here are some free to use resources that can get you started:

* Audacity: Free Audio recording program - though you have to start a new track every time you record (cut and paste across tracks to deal with this), this handy audio program has nearly no latency (non-noticeable) and is a great start for people recording actual instruments.
* ModPlug Tracker: A tracker composing program. Pretty easy to use and powerful. Doesn't come with very many instruments although more are easy to get.
* NoteWorthy Composer: Another composing program that relies heavily on sheet music.
* FL Studio (formerly known as Fruity Loops): Another powerful composer. Has a bit of a steep learning curve and also is not free but there is a trial version you can use.
* Switch Audio Converter: Free audio file changing program - can convert to less commenly used audio file types like RAW's and Orggis Vorbis along with the big ones like MP3's (Can convert iTunes locked format too).
* Psycle: A free sequencer type program - similar to Mod Plug. Has a bit of a learning curve, though it's pretty powerful when used correctly.
* Mp3 Direct Cut: Simplistic audio editing program that allows you to edit Mp3 directly, from their original file (don't forget to back up the original).
* Krystal Audio Engine: Similar to Audacity, though this program is tooled more towards people editing or mixing music - recording can generate some terrible latency. (Essentially its more powerful then Audacity, but much more difficult to record a sound directly to it)
* Hammerhead Rythm Station: A free drum machine that has built in sounds geared towards Electronica and Dance music. Also supports importing your own drum sounds via userbanks (some userbanks are provided on the site) and the entire sound library can be edited if you get more advanced with it - Drum parts can be exported as wav's and then used in your music. You will want to use Switch Audio engine if you plan on importing your own sounds as it only supports the RAW format.
* Guitar Pro 5 - A popular Tab program that is capable of producing MIDI works. When used with the RSE plugins it can produce some realistic guitar/bass/drum parts. There is a trial version that allows for 15 days free - RSE can't be used in the trial version
* Suggest some more!

Well I know their free but some are pretty good to get started with

Ive done the liberty to gather all the contestants that may or may not enter the contest. This list may change overtime.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks, thats good to have them all in one place

Level 6
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HappyTauren
Dentothor
naitsirk
Watchman
CoBrA b
Teuncreemers
DudeSpirit
Xarwin
CloudWolf
Nara-shikamaru
Just_Spectating
Mulgrim
Syleona
HappyCockroach
Darkgamma
EMPerror
EvilKnight
havard1993

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Correct me if i missed anyone)

What about me? :)

Level 15
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HappyTauren
Dentothor
naitsirk
Watchman
CoBrA b
Fanny.Shaver
Teuncreemers
DudeSpirit
Xarwin
CloudWolf
Nara-shikamaru