• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #1 - Races

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please stay on topic guys...where are you going with this?

i suppose i shall wait until the contest is over. Reflecting, i came off strong in the first comment, but it was discouraging that i did not see any truly revolutionary or ambitious songs. Electronic music is rather safe when you think about it, you only need to worry about the beat, where as most other songs have to take other things into account, like which instruments to use etc.

Do you have a 40 piece orchestra at your disposal? No? And I promise you, there are many different types of synths to use

Level 26
lol "many different types of synths" how the hell would that make a difference, there are 40 different types of laundry detergent but they all do the same job, they all clean your clothes, and all synths make the same horrible pings and warbles.

to cobra b, no that was just an example, i was not referring to your song, but ill look at it again when i get home.

lol "many different types of synths" how the hell would that make a difference, there are 40 different types of laundry detergent but they all do the same job, they all clean your clothes, and all synths make the same horrible pings and warbles.

Listen to a Sawtooth, Cine and Square synth and you will see that Synths do sound very different. I can understand that your personal taste doesn't include Electronic Music, but there are people that hate your style of music. Also whats the point of having multiple types of Saxophones if
they all clean your clothes
? The same argument holds up for other types of instruments. In short, if we didn't desire electronic sounds then we would never had invented them.

Level 4
Wow gone for a week and everyone starts flaming my music, you don't think my type of music fits? Then I'm dropping out of the contest. Let me explain a few things about whats going on here.

My "type", whether it be techno or electronic, is being flamed. There have been no moderating actions to prevent this from happening/stop it from continuing. The morale of those like me is dropping...

The question I ask myself is: Why should I continue my work if its just going to be a big problem with everyone else? Why can't people just accept it as MUSIC.

My thing is, I can't. Im taking time out of my night, time that I should be sleeping, and spending it working on something thats getting so cold shouldered, the abominable snow man would say thats cold.

Oh, and another thing that hurt the morale: I have posted 2 WIP's and my names not even listed as a contestant.

Thanks moderators and Team of HiveWorkshop... You really made my day with how well you can control your forums.

I can see why you have so many retired/former staff members. After this and many other issues I have had here, I would have to say this has been one of the worst online experiences I've ever had.

But of course I'm going to get neg rep and maybe even banned for saying this.
So much for free speech.

Oh, and another thing that hurt the morale: I have posted 2 WIP's and my names not even listed as a contestant.
I don't think that list's been updated in a while... when I run contests I usually just don't bother with that list.

I can see why you have so many retired/former staff members. After this and many other issues I have had here, I would have to say this has been one of the worst online experiences I've ever had.
No, people just have real lives and resource moderation is a tiring job.

But of course I'm going to get neg rep and maybe even banned for saying this.
So much for free speech.
You know that saying that just makes you look like an ass, right? :p

Level 6
Lol wow, i see alot has happened here.
Anyways, I'll promise to all you critics out there, that my piece shall not be electronica.

EDIT: WiP's are necessary? If so, i'll be submitting mine soon

Wow gone for a week and everyone starts flaming my music, you don't think my type of music fits? Then I'm dropping out of the contest. Let me explain a few things about whats going on here.

My "type", whether it be techno or electronic, is being flamed. There have been no moderating actions to prevent this from happening/stop it from continuing. The morale of those like me is dropping...

The question I ask myself is: Why should I continue my work if its just going to be a big problem with everyone else? Why can't people just accept it as MUSIC.

We've already discussed this, please let this whole argument go. There was only really one person flaming electronic music anyways so your work is fine. There's been 266 posts in this thread - kinda hard to keep track of everybody, if you could direct me to your WiP I will be happy to add your name to the list. Just have patience

Level 9
We've already discussed this, please let this whole argument go. There was only really one person flaming electronic music anyways so your work is fine. There's been 266 posts in this thread - kinda hard to keep track of everybody, if you could direct me to your WiP I will be happy to add your name to the list. Just have patience

Heh you already looked at his WIP and even commented about it a few pages back, his seems alright, but I prefer WCIII instrumentals, his is... too electronic/synthetic really reminds me of the ice caves in FF7 near the end of disc 1.

Heh you already looked at his WIP and even commented about it a few pages back, his seems alright, but I prefer WCIII instrumentals, his is... too electronic/synthetic really reminds me of the ice caves in FF7 near the end of disc 1.

I say hush - we have already had the whole electronic verse orchestrated piece argument. If you feel like continuing it take it somewhere else - ALL TYPES OF MUSIC ARE ALLOWED

Level 9
I say hush - we have already had the whole electronic verse orchestrated piece argument. If you feel like continuing it take it somewhere else - ALL TYPES OF MUSIC ARE ALLOWED

Owch, no need to bite my head off, it's not like I outright bashed him for his choice, I simply stated that it has a different feel to it than traditional warcraft music, you know, like the Warcraft II intro music is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Owch, no need to bite my head off, it's not like I outright bashed him for his choice, I simply stated that it has a different feel to it than traditional warcraft music, you know, like the Warcraft II intro music is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Sorry, but this is becoming a recurring argument, the last 3 pages were dedicated to the same argument. And the contest is to fit the theme of a race, not fit Warcrafts sound (as I have said - Wc3 music is meant to be background music, thus not to get in the way and not shine in their own right. Music for here is just to be good music that fits the theme)

Level 9
On a different note you should update the list of contestants as Syleona was disqualified.
Edit: Good luck to the remaining contestants

Last edited:
Level 26
... :/ the main problem that i have with the electronic music is exactly because it doesn't fit into wc3. Seeing as this is a wc3 modding website, and seeing as this is a contest to make music based on wc3 content... it would be nice (not necessary.... but very nice) if the music fit in with the wc3 style. That way, people could actually USE the great music that is being created here. the songs that i heard were great, but they dont transition well from ingame music at all......

good luck to the contestants, i cant wait to see the finished submissions

Level 35
... :/ the main problem that i have with the electronic music is exactly because it doesn't fit into wc3. Seeing as this is a wc3 modding website, and seeing as this is a contest to make music based on wc3 content... it would be nice (not necessary.... but very nice) if the music fit in with the wc3 style. That way, people could actually USE the great music that is being created here. the songs that i heard were great, but they dont transition well from ingame music at all......

good luck to the contestants, i cant wait to see the finished submissions

I agree completely but the problem is composing orchestral music is very difficult to manage because string harmony is no joke (not saying other genres of music are any easier to create).

For Christ's sake let it go

wc3 modding website

Yes, but does that mean we have to be up stuck @$$wipes that spit on all non-wc3 related art?

And you can put electronic music into Wc3 depending on your map, you know not everyone is trying to make the same freaking map. NONE of your models fit perfectly in with the normal Wc3 ones, I dont think the Dwarves have developed nukes yet, but does that mean they didn't get approved? NO, so let the d@#$ argument go. I have told you many times that if your going to complain, take it somewhere else, create a forum for all I care, start a freaking social group of Wc3 orchestrated piece fan's. Do I see anything wrong with that? NO. Wc3 Music is meant to be BACKGROUND music, and thus it's not meant to INTERFERE with gameplay, thus its not supposed TO STAND FOR ITSELF.

Either drop the argument or get reported for spamming. Your simply harassing the contestants

Good day to you sir

Last edited:
Level 6
Fanny.Shaver, upload it again, i can't find it anywhere :/

anyway... about electronic music not fitting wc3. It's not like it's gonna be ingame music. Only a song, representing a race. Sure electronic music isn't the "natural" music of warcraft, but there's the challenge - we can all make boring tribal songs and say they are for trolls because they are tribal, but that'd be boring. If somewhere between all similar songs with similar themes, you found something unique, like electronic music, that'd be good, won't it?

Edit : I had decided to improve my first song, but after reading so many pages about electronic music (and cobra's review, thx dude :D ), i think i will just continue my last upload. Will upload soon :).

Edit 2 : Ok, uploaded the song. Enjoy :)
P.S It's still named "water elements" but any suggestions for a better theme are welcomed.

Attachments

• water elements.mp3
    4.9 MB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Level 12
I agree with everything said by EMPerror.

I'm just going to post one more update of my song (I didn't change much, but I fixed a few harmonic issues and tried to improve the flow of the music), mainly because my old version is now buried behind three pages of argument. If any of you have anything you want me to change about this, now's the time to say it. On February 28th, I will post my final submission, although I expect this to be either the last or penultimate version. Also, in the meantime, I may try to get some software with better-sounding instruments, although that is only a possibility.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Songs of the Earth Mother First Draft Edit1.zip
    16.2 KB · Views: 37
Fanny, that's a freaking huge file for music, I can download it fairly quickly (About 2 minutes) but I doubt everyone can download it like that, any way you could convert that to mp3 or some other smaller format so people don't have to spend an hour downloading all 14.6 mega bytes of it? That's probably contributing to why no one has said anything about it.

Even putting it in a compressed folder would have been nice

Sounds great, seems like you put a lot of effort into it - what program did you use?

Level 19
This is something I had to compose for my end-exam music assignment for school. We had to make a piece for an orchestra that was going to record it live. I used Finale to write everything down on paper, but here's the "wip" from back then. I made this on the same computer I'm making my submission now. This isn't for this contest, but is what I made back then. I recorded everything on the piano + soundmodules attached. Hope I can give you an example of my music. The sax's sound ugly and fake, but I think the rest of the instruments sound quite real.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=szvw5f

I'm going to try and post my submission WIP tomorrow. But I'm a perfectionist with music, and deleted so many tries already. It's gotta be perfect before I enter this contest with my work.

Level 6
Pro Tools, and no, I won't convert it into an mp3. I made it on academic version, and quality is pretty poor anyway as it ain't even stereo file, academic version doesn't allow to export it. Only mono.

Pro Tools, and no, I won't convert it into an mp3. I made it on academic version, and quality is pretty poor anyway as it ain't even stereo file, academic version doesn't allow to export it. Only mono.

Exporting a mp3 at 192 is pretty lossless, and sound quality here isn't even important, so stop being stubborn. I even upload mine at 128kbps so everyone can download.

Level 26
Oh, cobra b asked me about his music, forgot to respond.

No cobra, your song doesnt seem to be electronic.... :/ i cant put my finger on it though, but it does sound somewhat... "8-bit" in parts. Great song though.

lol Teuncreemers' song is so mellow it almost sounds like elevator music.... or something from legend of zelda

Emperror's is high energy but it sounds distorted to me. certain parts are rendered too loud or "peaking"

Fanny.Shaver's sounds like some sort of "relaxation therapy" music :/ maybe this could be playing at some night elf spa and resort :p

still dont like the electronic feeling to them But very good songs nonetheless. They are coming along nicely

Level 6
Sorry, I don't think just anyone have problems downloading 14megs. File won't change, as I am not one of those who just keep changing files. I follow one rule; If you modify something for long enough, you are likely to fúck it up...

This is why I can assure you, once downloaded, keep it and wait for 3rd of March.

Level 19
lol Teuncreemers' song is so mellow it almost sounds like elevator music.... or something from legend of zelda

Haha, yeah gotta agree.
It's from quite a while ago though. But once again, its not my submission. I'm more working on a theme that looks a bit like the World of Warcraft music (from before any of the expansions) with drum rythms in a 7/8 feeling. Well guess I can find it on youtube. I currently have 1 minute, but I want atleast 3 minutes. Will post wip soon.

EDIT:
Youtube tags dont seem to work with this link.
So here's the normal url: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqsazZUbt9s&feature=player_embedded

Sorry, I don't think just anyone have problems downloading 14megs. File won't change, as I am not one of those who just keep changing files. I follow one rule; If you modify something for long enough, you are likely to fúck it up...

This is why I can assure you, once downloaded, keep it and wait for 3rd of March.

.....with your permission can I convert your song into a file format that's easier to download? You don't hear much of a difference really if you convert it if the quality is good. And you keep back up's in case your afraid of ruining it. You know you have to post a WiP right?

Level 9
.....with your permission can I convert your song into a file format that's easier to download? You don't hear much of a difference really if you convert it if the quality is good. And you keep back up's in case your afraid of ruining it. You know you have to post a WiP right?
I think I'm going to look into this, something just makes me uneasy about a 14 mb file right off the bat...
Edit: After listening to the song, I realized how small it was in duration, yet its so friggin huge... still what Wherewolf said.

I have some Neat Music but it is'nt themed for Warcraft 3....

You have to write new music for the contest (the music has to be created for the contest) but you are free to enter. It doesn't have to be background music so it doesn't need to sound at all like Wc3 music.

hey hey, i got two questions

1 how can i inscribe me to the contest?
2 can i use music from other warcraft games like WoW or warcraft II ?

1: anyone is free to enter
2: What? You realize this is a contest to make your own music. If I am interpreting this wrong, and your asking about style it doesn't need to sound like music from any blizzard game.

If anyone is interested in entering, read the first post for rules, theme, what you will be judged on and what do.

Status
Not open for further replies.