• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Modeling Contest #30 - Portable Buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.
thread_hive_logo-png.311520

ct_modeling-png.311497
contest-png.311487
p_hash-png.311483
3-png.311476
0-png.311473

widow_mine_6714.png

Portable Buildings

Contestants should create a model of a building, mechanical or not, which has the ability to move - be it through an animation, or an alternate form that walks.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the model submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • In order to enter the contest and be eligible to win a prize, contestants must submit their final entry to the Model Resource section. Remember to write in the description "Entry for the 30th Modeling Contest".
  • The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • An in game screenshot showing your submission in action.
    • All files in their appropriate format - any textures and additional effects you might have made, as well as the model itself along with an optional portrait.
    • All custom textures necessary for your model to work properly if applicable.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must be bug free.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Must contain the following animations, and more if possible:
    • Stand
    • Walk
    • Death
    • Portrait Animations (whether it's for a camera or a separate portrait model)
    • Birth
  • Optional Animations could be:
  • Stand Work
  • Attack
  • Decay
  • All the Alternate animations (if morph mechanics are used)
other_prizes-png.311512

[*]First Place: 55 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
[*]Second Place: 40 reputation points and an award icon
[*]Third Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon

[*]Participation & Judging: 5 reputation points

other_judges-png.311510

• PROXY
  • General Frank
  • MiniMage

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Mesh
How the mesh looks aesthetically? How are its proportions, its balance and scale? How coherent is polygon distribution?/10

Skin
How good is the wrap? Are custom textures appealing? Or how adequate are the in-game chosen textures? Is it blurry/stretched? Do the tones go well together?/10

Animations
How natural, smooth and appropriate are the animations? If they're custom, how well are they executed? Do they have physical coherence? Do they have character/personality? If they are imported, how appropriate was the animation choice? How hard is it to relate it to the original in that case?/10

Effects
How adequate are the particle/ribbon/etc effects added? Do they contribute to the model? Are they impressing? But are they added in a good measure? Did the model need more?/5

Mechanics
How well does the model work in-game? Are the animations recognizable in-game? Does it feature attachments/footprints/collisions/etc? Is it fully selectable?/5

Creativity
How original is the general idea? How inventive is the execution? Does it fit the theme? Does it fit WC3 environment?/10

• 75% of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25% of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
other_disclaimer-png.311508

At the end of the contest a test map will be put up by the host featuring all the entries, in order to make in-game testing easier and to improve the voting input at the poll. Then, each author will have 72 hours to approve/alter the in-game configuration of their model before a poll is put up.​

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

• The contest shall begin on 12th of December, 2018 and conclude on 1st of February, 2019, GMT

other_entries-png.311509

ContestantWIPEntry
icewolfClickClick
MythicClickClick
NightStalkerClickClick
gruntClickClick
FreddikClickClick
NameClickClick
NameClickClick
NameClickClick
NameClickClick
NameClickClick
NameClickClick
NameClickClick
NameClickClick
NameClickClick
NameClickClick
NameClickClick
NameClickClick
NameClickClick
NameClickClick
NameClickClick
NameClickClick

Post reserved for keeping tracks on entries. No limitation whatsoever.​

Last edited:
Level 18
I am eager to participate, a good way to spend vacations off time.

PS: I agree, a building requires birth anim, but because it can be a factory, farm or similar it may not have an attack function.
Since it is a structure, shouldn't required animations include birth, and maybe not attack?

Will participate if I have the time :)

Mandatory Anims could go like these:
  • Stand
  • Birth
  • Walk
  • Death
  • Portrait Animations (whether it's for a camera or a separate portrait model)
Optional Anims could be:
  • Stand Work
  • Attack
  • Decay
  • All the Alternate anims (if morph mechanics are used)

Level 22
Hmm, the time allowed is quite short !

I agree with above posts about anims, Attack anim should not be required.
Portrait anims should not be required either because it works without, what is required is to have a Camera.
Anyway, maybe you should just simplify the rules : The model has to work as intended in the game.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeck yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah.

Very excited for Modeling Contests making a comeback! If only we had more of the best kind of Contests.... >_>

Very much looking forward to this. If anyone is low on ideas/creativity, give me a ring for all your Jungle Troll-related idea suggestions. ;D

Hmm, the time allowed is quite short !

I agree with above posts about anims, Attack anim should not be required.
Portrait anims should not be required either because it works without, what is required is to have a Camera.
Anyway, maybe you should just simplify the rules : The model has to work as intended in the game.

It literally lasts a whole month. Like how is that short? ;P

Edit: Attack animation is optional. My bad.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Um... What?

It's not an extension if we haven't reached the initial deadline yet. It's just "modifying the End date", which is totally fine (given enough people involved are OK with it), especially so early in the Contest, and especially when people who know what they're talking about ask for it.

So the new End Date is February 1st, 2019? Cool. No extensions need even be considered yet. : )

bethmachine

Banned
Level 8
Is there any tutorials on how to convert blender saves into MDX files? If yes, i might try to join with a very inferior awful entry! At least it'Ll be one more entry and some life for the contest!!
I wish I knew. But I do agree this place does need some more life.

Level 20
Hopefully i wont be too busy to join too, i'd make something like this if i will:

moving_portal-png.312381

Some kind of a portal with chains that connected on 2 worms (hidden/underground in building form) and those worms would drag the thing when they move, probably best for Undead race and the portal could be used for producing the ghost type units.

Attachments

• Moving_Portal.png
    Moving_Portal.png
    474.1 KB · Views: 1,417
Work in Progress #1

w04-png.312383

In Magos'/WC3, the plant detail gets lost when zoomed out, unlike in Blender:

blend-04-png.312389

In other words, I am fucked.

Some kind of a portal with chains
One of my previous concepts was a portal with chains too. :D
I look forward to your entry.

Attachments

• W04.png
    W04.png
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,342
  • blend 04.png
    blend 04.png
    244.1 KB · Views: 1,415
Last edited:
Level 14
I wanna participate to this but I lack animations skills :( and not sure if I'll get the necessary time but well count me in anyway even though I'm not sure to have a result at the end.
my idea is a flying insect creature that morphs into a building by landing to the ground and laying eggs (I'm not sure if that counts as a building though)

Edit : first wip
wip1-png.312480

wip2-png.312482

wip3-png.312531

I'll go for a mantis like creature

Attachments

• wip1.PNG
    wip1.PNG
    291.4 KB · Views: 1,432
  • wip2.PNG
    wip2.PNG
    297.5 KB · Views: 1,423
  • wip3.PNG
    wip3.PNG
    58 KB · Views: 1,329
Last edited:
Level 20
Brain storming with some designs, got some interesting part that i liked but i ended up not liking most of the shapes... Because i tried too hard to make it somewhat like a worm's head i guess haha:

1-jpg.312537

Then i kind of came up with this, still debating on the shape:

2-jpg.312538

2_b-jpg.312539

Trying out the bottom part, trying to get the "underground" part to look abit like a ship... not so successful so far:

2_c-jpg.312540

The chains would come out from those holes, now my brain is still thinking if it wants 1 big or 2 small worms.

One of my previous concepts was a portal with chains too. :D
I look forward to your entry.

Ah haha yeah there's a game i played really long time ago that had a flying castle with those hugeee snakes and stuff chained onto it, was pretty cool and i thought it was a pretty nice design :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 1,345
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 1,323
  • 2_b.jpg
    2_b.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 1,342
  • 2_c.jpg
    2_c.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 1,323
Last edited:
Level 20
I kinda gave up on the "Ship" part because this is supposed to be a building so if it actually flies up and becomes a ship, it might be too big and looks kinda awkward, i'd just make it floating with some sort of aura or something.

Trying out with some other things but it might have too many spikes now that'd contribute alot on the poly counts, still need to make the worm(s)

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 3_a.jpg
    3_a.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 3_c.jpg
    3_c.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 3_d.jpg
    3_d.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
It was going to be smaller to compensate for the length. The centerpiece was to be a bunch of jewels chained to each other.

While I want to integrate it into my current building form, I'm afraid it's too thematically different. I like the bricks too, but they don't exactly give off a Blood Elven feel. Thoughts?

Level 14
some work in progress mainly on the animations and I really suck at those plus mdlvis doing some strange things sometimes I'm having some hard times with the model :(

birth animation:
full

morph animation :
full

morph alternate animation :
full

and this may be the last version as I'm running out of free time :(

It was going to be smaller to compensate for the length. The centerpiece was to be a bunch of jewels chained to each other.

While I want to integrate it into my current building form, I'm afraid it's too thematically different. I like the bricks too, but they don't exactly give off a Blood Elven feel. Thoughts?
imho with that two dome towers it totally has a Blood elven feel

Last edited:
Level 14
Creative use of the orc body.

That's unfortunate. MDLvis twitches the selection sometimes when I try to rotate. It's also scared me into saving after every few changes because of its crashes.
thank you :), yeah infortunatly MDLvis is an awsome software but its animation feature isn't perfect

Submission :
The Mantis Mother :
full

I think I will not have the time to further work on this model until the deadline so I'll post this as a final submission (well I may update it if I find time)
I know there is some mesh and wrapping parts that need tweaking and especially the animations but well here it is anyway

also a known issue : for some reason the portrait doesn't appear ingame so if it still doesn't don't import it

Edit : added the optimized version and a test map

Attachments

• MantisMother.mdx
    198.2 KB · Views: 182
  • MantisMother_portrait.mdx
    21.1 KB · Views: 167
  • MantisMother_optimized.mdx
    101.3 KB · Views: 174
  • TestMap.w3x
    195.3 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
nice work you're doing here is this using ingame texture ?

also BUMP give us some more wips guys :)
and come on people we need some more participants !!

Thanks. Yup, in-game textures.
Small update:
w09-png.313557

We can occupy the top 3 slots by being the only participants. :p

Attachments

• w09.png
    w09.png
    472.9 KB · Views: 1,117
Level 20
Looking great guys :)

I love models with ingame textures but iv been practicing on texture painting nowadays so i'd like to take this oppotunity to make one as well
I havent had alot of time to work on it the past few days so here's a look of the rough-ish texture for now.

Trying out with the leaking lava and stuff, probably will have alot of lava at the bottom as well.

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 302
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 263
Status
Not open for further replies.