• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Modeling Contest #33 - Thirst for Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.
hive-logo-m-png.335473

ct_modeling-png.311497
contest-png.311487
33-png.358599

mc33-header-2-png.358848

thirst-for-blood-png.358601

All the predators and executioners gather in a storm, united by a common thirst.

Contestants must create a model exhibiting bloodlust. Classic submissions only.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it's yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest. This includes any animation, meshes, or textures made by other users before the official launch of the contest and material made by users not participating in the contest.
    • Using parts of Blizzard's Classic WC3 meshes and transferring in-game classic animations are allowed, however.
mc33-section-png.358600
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must work in-game and be bug-free.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Must contain the following animations, and more if possible:
    • Stand
    • Death
    • Portrait Animations (whether it's for a camera or a separate portrait model)
  • Structures must include Birth and Stand Work animations
  • Heroes must include a Dissipate animation
  • Feel free to ask if you have any questions regarding the rules.
If a submission does not follow the model submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule, you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 55 reputation points.
  • 2nd place: 40 reputation points.
  • 3rd place: 25 reputation points.
  • Entry: 15 reputation points.
  • Judge: 10 reputation points per entry.
The three winners will receive an award icon representing the winning entry.

other_judges-png.311510

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Mesh
How does the mesh look aesthetically? How are its proportions, its balance and scale? How coherent is polygon distribution?/15

Skin
How good is the wrap? Are custom textures appealing? How adequate are the in-game chosen textures? Are they blurry/stretched? Do the tones go well together?/15

Animations
How natural, smooth and appropriate are the animations? If they're custom, how well are they executed? Do they have physical coherence? Do they have character/personality? If they are imported, how appropriate was the animation choice? Does the model have enough animations to function properly?/15

Effects
How adequate are the particle/ribbon/etc effects added? Do they contribute to the model? Are they impressive? Are they added in good measure? Did the model need more?/10

Theme
How well does the model exhibit bloodthirst?/15

Mechanics
How well does the model work in-game? Are the animations recognizable in-game? Does it feature attachments/footprints/collisions/etc? Is it fully selectable?/10

Creativity
How original is the general idea? How inventive is the execution? How well does the model fit in the game environment?/20

/100

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on 10th August 2020 and conclude on 21st October 2020 GMT (day is included).

Assigned Staff: @Mythic

Previous Contest | Poll | Results

Last edited:
Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I know how incredibly unlikely it may seem, for a Jungle Troll building to be considered "bloodthirsty". But I'm sure after you witness my 45-minute thesis presentation on the subject, you may just have your minds changed. Please check under your seats for the 11-page outline of my-*drones on incessantly*

Level 48
Y'all need to tone down the rage. I don't like Blizzard's latest decisions any more than most people nor do I think Reforged is a good release, but people can still enjoy modelling for it and it's their right, it does not say anything about "their standards". If anything it shows tenacity and skill, it's not a simple task after all.

There's absolutely no need for insults or discouragement.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Agreed. And I'm one of the biggest proponents for Classics mod; you all know I hoped they wouldn't update the visuals since the beginning. They have, too bad so sad, moving on. There's no reason to lambaste those who want to do Reforged stuff.

Do it Maya style a stone Ziggurat with heads rolling on the stairs during the work animation...
Now we're talking! : D

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Are we allowed to submit models modified from a WoW export? Only curious...
I was about to point out this Rule in the original post:
Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest. This includes any animation, meshes, or textures made by other users before the official launch of the contest and material made by users not participating in the contest.
But then I realized that it's a bit unclear; does that mean Geomerges (i.e. using anims/meshes/textures that were made (by Blizzard) before the start of the Contest (in 2003)) aren't allowed??

Obviously (I should think) not... So do we also allow people to (sufficiently) modify WoW models in the same way?

I had not noticed it before, but now I think this part of the Rules/that Rule should be made more specific.

Level 18
Entry: Templo Mayor

Status: WIP 1, (building mesh is done "awaiting export to milkshape", details like winged serpent statue and blood basin on the way)

Short Description: my own interpretation of the Aztec's main temple/pyramid.

Lore: The "Templo Mayor" was the main temple of the Aztec’s religion, dedicated to the rain god Tlaloc (blue) and their patron and god of war Huitzilopochtli (red). In their mythology the gods sacrificed themselves to create the incarnations of the world, so the Mexica people had to do constant blood sacrifices (human and animal) to sustain their gods. Over the centuries tens of thousands were ritually sacrificed on this pyramid, ¡definitively a bloodthirsty building!

PS 1: I am not an architect nor an historian/archaeologist, and my goal is to mix fantasy elements and legends with the historic building. My own interpretation if I may.

PS 2: this temple was expanded at least 7 times during its centuries long life. If I got enough time I will try to make it a 3 tier building so it can work as a Townhall.

PS 3: I'm not Mexican, although I lived and worked on that country for almost a decade. Their culture is delightful, and I hope to homage it at least a little.

Imagen_TemploMayor_wip1.JPG

Parameters used to design the Aztec building (engineering software, not the best for warcraft models, but I use what I got licenses for)
Imagen_TemploMayor_parameters.JPG

Entry: Templo Mayor

Status: WIP 1, (building mesh is done "awaiting export to milkshape", details like winged serpent statue and blood basin on the way)

Short Description: my own interpretation of the Aztec's main temple/pyramid.

Lore: The "Templo Mayor" was the main temple of the Aztec’s religion, dedicated to the rain god Tlaloc (blue) and their patron and god of war Huitzilopochtli (red). In their mythology the gods sacrificed themselves to create the incarnations of the world, so the Mexica people had to do constant blood sacrifices (human and animal) to sustain their gods. Over the centuries tens of thousands were ritually sacrificed on this pyramid, ¡definitively a bloodthirsty building!

PS 1: I am not an architect nor an historian/archaeologist, and my goal is to mix fantasy elements and legends with the historic building. My own interpretation if I may.

PS 2: this temple was expanded at least 7 times during its centuries long life. If I got enough time I will try to make it a 3 tier building so it can work as a Townhall.

PS 3: I'm not Mexican, although I lived and worked on that country for almost a decade. Their culture is delightful, and I hope to homage it at least a little.

View attachment 363741

Parameters used to design the Aztec building (engineering software, not the best for warcraft models, but I use what I got licenses for)
View attachment 363742
Nice :D

Temple is almost finished^^
temple.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.