• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Modeling Contest #34 - Seven Seas

Status
Not open for further replies.
hive-logo-m-png.335473

ct_modeling-png.311497
contest-png.311487
34-png.363606

mc34-banner-png.366438

seven-seas-png.369660

Create a unit at home at sea. This includes deep sea monsters, sea gods, merfolk, buccaneers, sailors, vessels, and everything in between. Classic/SD submissions only (MDX800).

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it's yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
    • Using parts of Blizzard's Classic WC3 meshes and transferring in-game classic animations are allowed, however.
mc34-section-png.366434
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must work in-game and be bug-free.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Must contain the following animations, and more if possible:
    • Stand
    • Walk
    • Death
    • Portrait Animations (whether it's for a camera or a separate portrait model)
  • Heroes must include a Dissipate animation
  • Feel free to ask if you have any questions regarding the rules.
If a submission does not follow the model submission rules, the creator will be disqualified.

Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule, you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread, so judges and others may help with sorting it out.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 55 reputation points
  • 2nd place: 40 reputation points
  • 3rd place: 25 reputation points
  • Entry: 10 reputation points
  • Judge: 10 reputation points per entry
The three winners will receive an award icon representing the winning entry.

other_judges-png.311510

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Mesh
How does the mesh look? How are its proportions, balance, and scale? How coherent is polygon distribution? Is there an overreliance on in-game SD meshes? Do the shapes complement the model's theme?/15

Skin
How good is the wrap? Are the textures appealing, or do they look blurry/stretched from the default game camera and portrait? Do the tones go well together? Is there sufficient contrast?/15

Animations
How natural, smooth, and appropriate are the animations? Do they have physical coherence? Do they have character/personality? How well are they executed? Does the model have enough animations to function properly?/15

Effects
Were the particle, ribbon, or mesh effects made in good measure? Do they contribute to the model? Are they impressive?/10

Integration
How well does the model work in-game? Does it feature the necessary attachments, footprints, sounds, and collisions? Are the attachments obscured? Is the model fully selectable? How well does the it fit in the game environment?/15

Creativity
How original is the general idea? How inventive is the execution? How creatively does the model interpret the contest theme?/20

/90

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on 10th December 2020 and conclude on 8th February 2021 GMT (day is included).

Assigned Staff: @Mythic

Previous Contest | Poll | Results

Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
c7159793f9f474b93439719fba84906e.jpg

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
While it wasn't my personal fave, I could tell there was a lot of excitement for Seven Seas, which is exciting in and of itself. And to be fair it's really wide open; so many good options! Deep Sea/Coral/Typhoon Elementals, giant Krakens, Troll Pirates, Goblin Buccaneers... The list goes on. ; )

Looking forward to seeing the results.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
That looks classic, not reforged HD :eek:
Are we looking at the same model? :O

I'm not speaking at all to the quality & craftsmanship of the model (which is excellent, of course), just the relative complexity. But seriously, point me out another "classic/SD"-style Warcraft model with individually-modelled buttons & belt clasps. Or the intricacy of the sword-guard. Or the relative round-ness of the limbs. Or friggin' five individual fingers.

I mean seriously I pushed back against the "classic-ness" of this guy, and what Assssvi is cooking up is way beyond even that. :<

Level 51
Are we looking at the same model? :O

I'm not speaking at all to the quality & craftsmanship of the model (which is excellent, of course), just the relative complexity. But seriously, point me out another "classic/SD"-style Warcraft model with individually-modelled buttons & belt clasps. Or the intricacy of the sword-guard. Or the relative round-ness of the limbs. Or friggin' five individual fingers.

I mean seriously I pushed back against the "classic-ness" of this guy, and what Assssvi is cooking up is way beyond even that. :<

Dont see the issue here. His models are very polygon heavy but otherwise fit perfectly fine into the classic wc3 schematics.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Dont see the issue here. His models are very polygon heavy but otherwise fit perfectly fine into the classic wc3 schematics.
Polygon-heavy is only a part of it (I'd be curious to see the actual poly-count & how it compares, but not entirely my point). It's the detail.

So when I line these up next to each other, you don't see the stark differences in the mesh?
upload_2020-12-24_3-59-24.png upload_2020-12-24_4-1-35.png

Level 24
Polygon-heavy is only a part of it (I'd be curious to see the actual poly-count & how it compares, but not entirely my point). It's the detail.

So when I line these up next to each other, you don't see the stark differences in the mesh?
View attachment 370764 View attachment 370765
Maybe somewhere in the rules it says about low-poly models or there are some restrictions in the number of polygons?

And Yes, I'm making this model for the classic version of the game, as stated in the rules.

Level 51

You can always make that comparison, as soon as the detail level increases. But as long as they still match in their style everything is fine.

Classic models were bad because the time (and it being an RTS) didnt allow them to create more detailled models. Its only naturally that todays standard increases.

Again, I see no problem here, I rather appreciate it.

Level 50

I totally agree with the @Kyrbi0. The thing is not about the great number of polygons but how the model will fit in game.

From the judging: "How are its proportions, its balance and scale? How coherent is polygon distribution?"
That means the judges will have in mind polygons and how fitting the model is. Of course, that doesn't mean I have anything against the model and I don't say it's a bad thing. It's just my opinion about how that model will look comparing to original wc3 models(low poly).

Status
Not open for further replies.