• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #31 - Spawners and Spawned [Optionally Paired]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 49
upload_2019-8-17_20-17-29.png

upload_2019-8-17_20-20-36.png

one of his minions. its a parasite worm that uses other bodies as kinda like a way to attack. i think i'll make another one that has retained the host's legs and a dive bomb insect just like i mentioned before. also, i'll change the plague rider beak into just a gas mask 'cos i don't think parasite worms will fit into the plague doctor concept.

Last edited:
Level 50
View attachment 330655
View attachment 330656

one of his minions. its a parasite worm that uses other bodies as kinda like a way to attack. i think i'll make another one that has retained the host's legs and a dive bomb insect just like i mentioned before. also, i'll change the plague rider beak into just a gas mask 'cos i don't think parasite worms will fit into the plague doctor concept.
Lol, that looks scary! Wait, does it use Hydralisk's animations?

Level 48
Nice. Strong Resident Evil vibes.

I'll just bring this up one more time though:

Contestants are to create two models.

This is in the contest's description... The reason I'm talking about this is I'm not sure how judging would work if we're allowed to make as many spawned units as we'd like. It doesn't seem like a fair playground to be honest. It would also be the first modelling contest without an explicit limit on the amount of models submitted (usually one, I think we had at least one other contest where two models were required but I can't remember).

I'm sorry if this comes off as an attack against your entry, -Grendel, that's not my intention at all. I simply didn't consider the option that we might be allowed to create more than one spawned unit, and the more I think about it the more fairness and judging-based issues pop up in my head.

Last edited:
Level 49
Nice. Strong Resident Evil vibes.

I'll just bring this up one more time though:

This is in the contest's description... The reason I'm talking about this is I'm not sure how judging would work if we're allowed to make as many spawned units as we'd like. It doesn't seem like a fair playground to be honest. It would also be the first modelling contest without an explicit limit on the amount of models submitted (usually one, I think we had at least one other contest where two models were required but I can't remember).

I'm sorry if this comes off as an attack against your entry, -Grendel, that's not my intention at all. I simply didn't consider the option that we might be allowed to create more than one spawned unit, and the more I think about it the more fairness and judging-based issues pop up in my head.

no, no, no, its alright. i overlooked it too and just went ham on making stuff.
"Contestants are to create two models. A spawner and a spawned unit. The combination can be a summoner and its summoned unit, a structure and the minions it spawns/trains, a master and its servant(s), or similar combination of 'creator' and 'created' unit."
it said two models but the part "a master and its servant(s)" kinda confuses the heck out of me too as it clearly implies there its allowed to make two ore more variants of a spawned unit.
should really clear the model count restriction once and for all.

Initially, the idea was to create a single 'spawner' and single 'spawned' unit.

But, honestly, I do not see any harm in having multiple spawned units, as it does not give an advantage over putting the same additional effort into other aspects of the models. More animations, better skin, flashier particles, etc. All means a better end product. You spend more time, so you get a better result.
Also, we get more awesome models here on the hive to have fun with in our maps. This is just my opinion though.

If anyone feels like this gives them a serious disadvantage, feel free to speak up. I'll fix the rules tomorrow evening depending on the general consensus of the contestants. You can write to me privately, if you don't feel like spamming up the contest thread.

Level 14
View attachment 330655
View attachment 330656

Beautiful
and eww, I would not cross something like that on the road. Looks infectious and creepy. Reminds me of the Thing creatures.

@Direfury
Very nice rock creature. Hmmm... I think minions will be like golemlings or rocklings ;P

RULES CONCLUSION
We will keep the rules as originally intended. I've decided to do this for multiple reasons. Firstly, to provide a consistent 'contest environment' where rules does not change mid-contest. We don't want contestants to gain a sudden advantage, or disadvantage, because of unstable rules. Secondly, to make judging consistent. The additional work involved, and the issues surrounding having to judge an inconsistent number of models adds a layers of complexity to the judging process and makes the process less transparent.

The rules was originally intended to be interpreted as one spawner unit, and one spawned unit.
I'm sorry for any issues this might have caused. Especially for contestants directly involved.

(Man, my english gets broken after a couple of revisions. It just gets worse and worse.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.