• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #17 - Gathering Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking of what is left for us while we keep that consistency rule to never repeat themes. Here is some of my ideas:

* = Mini-Contest Friendly

default.jpg

The contestants are supposed to create a background environment for the campaign mission selection.
The models should be judged by the atmosphere they provoke and the screen as a whole, not by the raw model quality.
180px-Warcraft_III_TFT_Sentinals_Night_Elf_Campaign.jpg
180px-Warcraft_III_TFT_Scourge_Undead_Campaign.jpg
180px-Rexxar1.jpg

models_6740_screenshot.jpg

SCC-7.jpg
We have only one model of these here in THW, it would be good in this aspect.

images

The contestants are meant to create a building with 3 upgrade levels that fits as a Town Hall building. (The original plus 2 different levels)
What could be judged mostly is the uniqueness of the building design, its quality in the basic aspects, obviously, and the creativity put into the way the building upgrades.
OrcTownhall.gif
OrcStronghold.gif
OrcFortress.gif

ElfPalace.jpg

HumanTownhall.gif
HumanKeep.gif
HumanCastle.gif

We have such a few models of these here in THW, it would be good in this aspect, too.

images

The contestants should create a model composed of 2 or more independent elements. That means that they should act separatedly in some of their animations. A goblin sapper, or a mortar team is a good demostration.
This is mostly hard to animate, in counterpart to the contest we just had, since the sinchrony and the good mechanics are essential to the model work properly, not to mention many funny possibilities with creative animations.

200px-GoblinSappers.jpg
180px-WC3Mortar_Team.jpg

WD_30.jpg

05%20BATS%20_vampire_bat_swarm_hg_clr.gif

images

The contestants are supposed to create a model that can be easily confused with a common doodad, a ground tile, or some other environment/unanimated element while the model is standing. The model will only lose its disguise and move effectively when not standing still anymore. Example:

contest%20demo.jpg

This can be limiting somehow, but with some imagination wonderful things can be done. The model will rely on the surprise effect, and contestants can use the blending time on their favour, like making that in the other anims than stand, the model is two times bigger.
The element that disguises the model should whether be pointed out (if existing in wc3) whether attached to the post (if made).
ch4-rockglm.gif
Evil_plant_by_Ironshod.jpg

MM35_PG186.jpg

images

The contestants should choose a Warcraft III existing unit, or race, and adapt it to the futuristic style, taking into account any necessary changes to that race's thrive.
The example above shows a Murloc sat on a Space Tauren.
images
images
images
images
images
images
images
images
images

images

The contestants are meant to create a model in the Steampunk style.
Steampunk_by_flyingdebris.jpg

images

The contestants will make a model that fits one of the Warcraft III races. That races include the melee stardard ones, the campaign races and also the creep races. The model should fit Warcraft style and proportions.
A goblin slinger, or a nerubian warrior would be examples.
racas-warcraft.jpg

180px-Naga_female_and_male.jpg
180px-Murloc.png

180px-Ogre.jpg
180px-Satyr.png

If any unit in the WARCRAFT III belongs to the same race as your model, your model is ok. (Arakkoa, Sporeling, Gnomes and such, no.)

images

The contestants are supposed to create a pack of doodad models that fit a specific Warcraft III race.
jui4.jpg
Area3interior.JPG
_42349242_bcdrenai-blizzard416.jpg

images

The contestants are supposed to create an altar model, place where heroes can be summoned and revived. They tend to be a temple composed by a statue and some pedestal, but contestants can go for more creative altar designs.
2317127095_532a65eacd.jpg

Altar_of_Kings.jpg
Altarofstorms.gif
Altar_of_Elders.gif
Altarofdarkness.gif

images

The contestants should make a model related to music in some way. It can be a bard, a menestreau, a singing bird, an orc drummer or something more imaginative.
44199_C1_bard.jpg
Arthas_Rocking.jpg
2-1-031-004-0_max.jpg

images

The contestants are supposed to represent a giant mythical beast from the depths. It needs to have swim animations.
images
images
images
images

images

The contestants are supposed to blend an animal with an human, creating a new being out of them. Orcs/Goblins and some other humanoids certainly don't fit, since the entry should be ANIMAL + HUMAN.
If the contestant chooses SERPENT + HUMAN and make an ordinary naga, he/she will have a penalty to the originality issue, of course.
images
images
images
images
images
images

images

The contestants are supposed to make a model that is related to rebels, revolt, riot, uprising, insergency, freedom, tyrany, oppresion, guerilla, bolshevik, etc.
images
images
images
images

images

The contestants are supposed to choose one innocent critter among the 19 existing critters in Warcraft III and give it a twist: make it look like an evil boss or some scary/nasty creature.
images
images
images
images
images

images

The contestants are meant to make a model fitting the modern belic theme.
images
images
images

images

The contestants are supposed to model a prehistoric entity. It can vary from a primitive hut, a campfire or even a caveman, a dinosaur or a saber-tooth tiger.
images
images
images
images

images

The contestants are meant to create a hut for an existing wc3 creep. They are encouraged to make huts for those creeps that don't have huts in the mpq, as Tuskarrs, Faceless Ones, Kobolds, Furbolgs or Makrura, for instance.
images
images
images
images

images

The contestants should create a flying mechanical unit, as a gyrocopter, a sky barge, an airplane or something more imaginative.
images
images
images

images

The contestants are meant to represent a hive user in a WC3 model.

images

The contestants are supposed to model an unit that gives a scary feel to the player.
images
images
images

images

The contestants are meant to model a Fantasy Hero that would fit the Dungeons and Dragons atmosphere.
images
images
images
images
images

That's all for now.
If you have ideas, please share them and I'll add them to the list.

Last edited:
Not that I will participate, but the most attractive concepts are the Loading Screen model and the Warcarft Race one. I love the first one, because it's very original, and I love the Warcraft III one, because it combines modelling with concept art.
I like those, too. =)
But I'd prefer Town Hall contest.

(updated the list with more themes)

how about.. making Hero creeps?

a tuskarr Hero,
a Kobolt Hero,
a Gnoll hero,
a Furbold hero,
a Murloc Hero,
a Satyr hero,
a quillbeast hero,
a Centaur hero,
a drainei hero,
a forest troll hero,
a dark troll hero,
a magnataur hero

blablabla..

1) Too specific and probably would never see play

2) Already been done

3) They may look odd ingame, especially when turning, etc

4) Meh

5) Not a bad idea

6) I like steampunk, but I think we should wait after tank contest

7) Didn't fully got that

8) Maybe some doodad contest would be good

9) I think they were already done

10) Meh

11) Hmm, but is sea used enough in warcraft?

12) Eeew, furries

13) Lol communism

14) Some people would really do nasty things

15) We had some sort of modern warfare just now

1) Too specific and probably would never see play
Not specific. But hard to make something decent with the theme. Extremely unaccessable...

2) Already been done
When? Town Hall competition? I don't think so. Just buildings...

3) They may look odd ingame, especially when turning, etc
We have 2 examples in the mpq that look good. Goblin Sapper and Mortar Team.

Yeah, meh.

7) Didn't fully got that
Contestants should make wc3 models that fit in wc3. :eekani:
I don't find it very attractive too, but it's a contest for public usefulness.

9) I think they were already done
Generic buildings, not Altar buildings.

11) Hmm, but is sea used enough in warcraft?
Yes, if you want. Just as long as you put doodads, arches and neutral buildings in the deep water, like in some pirate maps, water is used.

12) Eeew, furries

13) Lol communism
yeah, lol

14) Some people would really do nasty things
:con:

15) We had some sort of modern warfare just now
I agree. Pyra's the one who suggested it.

You can suggest something, too.

I like the doodads, wc3 hero and creeps hero idea.
it's not wc3 hero, it is wc3 unit.

how about.. making Hero creeps?
Added to the list.

Level 51
modern warfare would NOT be nice after a tank contest I think. something more warcraft related would be better. my choice would be:

- musician, since music is awsome :p
- creep heroes, just because of the immense usefullnes
- racial doodads, just because of the immense usefullnes
- racial models, just because of the immense usefullnes
- squad models, the animations would be the interesting thind :p

Yes, indeed, I'm removing it. :p

It would be nice to cut off some of it before making the poll...20 are too much to get an accurate poll off of it. I say we remove:

- Modern Warfare (we're still waiting that tank compo to end...)
- Disguised Model (just won't happen D:)
- Race-Fitting Doodad Pack (better as a mini-contest)
- Mythical Sea Creature (water sucks in wc3)
- Anthropomorphic Model (lol furries)
- Rebellion (hardly happening, sorry mother russia)
- Creep Hut (tiny mini little microscopic contest)
- Campaign Screen (requires too much skill, better as redscores league of the best modelling compo)

Then we'd have 12 possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.