• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modelling Contest #15 - gathering ideas...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm willing to take part on a modelling competition, and I wonder what will it be all about...
-----------------------------------------

The contestants are supposed to represent a giant mythical beast from the depths. As an example, "an original 'deep sea giant ocean beast' that flings its massive body out of the depths and sends fleets of ships filled with screaming sailors down into the murky waters, their bones broken, splintered beams of masts, and plank bashed into their flesh by the writhing tentacles...drowing in their own blood, mixed amidst the salty tears of Posiden's domain..."

images
images
images
images

The contestants are supposed to blend an animal with an human, creating a new being out of them.

images
images
images
images
images
images

Orcs/Goblins and some other humanoids certainly don't fit, since the entry should be ANIMAL + HUMAN.
If the contestant chooses SERPENT + HUMAN and make an ordinary naga, he/she will have a penalty to the originality issue, of course.

The anthropomorphic being is supposed to look original and funny.

The contestants are supposed to choose one innocent critter among the 19 existing critters in Warcraft III and give it a twist: make it look like an evil boss or some scary/nasty creature.

images
images
images
images
images

The contestants are supposed to create models fitting the steampunk style.

Steampunk_by_flyingdebris.jpg

The contestants are supposed to replace an unit model from the default melee units, making sure that the role of this unit won't be changed.

images
models_6177_screenshot_tnb.jpg

The contestants are supposed to make a model that is related to rebels, revolt, riot, uprising, insergency, freedom, tyrany, oppresion, guerilla, bolshevik, etc.

images
images
images
images
images

The contestants are meant to create a model suitable to a boss unit. The unit should resemble power and evilness/mysteriousness.

images
images
images
images
images

The contestants are supposed to do unit models that serve as an extra to the environment, known as critters. The models don't require attack animations.

images
images
images
images
images

It's surprise!!! I'll choose a theme myself. Then, few modellers that I judge to be good enough to participate will take part on an ultimate modelling competition. The winner will get the ultimate prize of 150 reputation points and not only an ordinary Award Icon, but also a Respected User icon and Paypal Donor icon.

images
images
images

The contest has fixed judge (HappyCockroach) and no public poll at all, to avoid unaccurate judging. (whether from the mods, that know little about modelling, or the poll voters)

Last edited:
Tbh, I found Anthropomorphic animals quite unoriginal, it just seems you swap a human head with animal one.
Not at all. When you give him a head of some other animal, you give him a personality, and obviously, a footman with a rat head and default animations won't be enough.
The possibilities are many. Not only the head should change. Many body-parts can be changed to the corresponding animal.
We have from insects to elephants, and many things can be changed in the human parts itself, as the clothing and the weapons/accessories.

Level 13
i like the animal idea its quite original and yes it dose come up with many options id love 2 see people do that 1.

Level 35
Create a mythical 'boss' like creature...

Everyone loves an original 'deep sea giant ocean beast' that flings its massive body out of the depths and sends fleets of ships filled with screaming sailors down into the murky waters, their bones broken, splintered beams of masts, and plank bashed into their flesh by the writhing tentacles...drowing in their own blood, mixed amidst the salty tears of Posiden's domain...

Ah...

Or you could create something else..

Something big, something fearsome, and something that will inspire the feeling of "EPIC BOSS".

Level 34
Only if you want. I mean...why are you so narrow? These models are an useful output and an enjoyable contest.
Narrow? I'm pretty scrawny, but this being the internet, I'm sure there are some real bean poles here.

Contests are for fun, and it's not like we don't have plenty of useful models.

Narrow? I'm pretty scrawny, but this being the internet, I'm sure there are some real bean poles here.

Contests are for fun, and it's not like we don't have plenty of useful models.

Sorry, I meant Narrow-minded.
And fun is what this contest is all about, too.

Critters are too simple, in my opinion...

Level 22
I'm going to update the first post with all the ideas we're gathering.

Lord_T, explain it better. Maybe I didn't understand it, but it sounded boring to me...

Pretty Much, You're creating a unit to fill the role of the melee unit you choose.
Role could be defined by Attack range and Role in combat, Like support, ranged damage, heals, offensive caster, and the like.

Eg: Footman = Light melee, Headhunter = Heavy Range, Mountain King = Melee Damage Hero, Sorceress = Ranged Offensive caster,

In place of the footman, you could make anything Alliance related that could take the place of a light melee unit, from a dwarf axeman to a gnome scout robot or w/e. Mountain king could easily be replaced with anything alliancey with a melee weapon, and so on.

It's an idea I had for a really long time, but I suppose it is a bit broad...

Level 31
They all seem like pretty good ideas. Really like Lord_T's aswell. I'd like to make a suggestion though, one most probably influenced by my latest gameing and movie experiences.
Rebellion.
As related to: Rebel, revolt, riot, uprising, insergency, freedom, tyrany, oppresion, guerilla, bolshevik, and anything else you can think of.
Probalby to broad :/...

Level 27
My comments about all of the ideas:

Seamonsters? Would be fun, but there's not so much maps where to use it...

No for antropomorphs! We need creativity, not inspiration for crazy genetists! And Pyritie!
P.S. Is that that rabbit from Alice in some crudy land?

Critters? Evil ones? Lol indeed...

Steampunk is fun. I like the idea of steam powered robot trying to kill you...

Replacement is primitive and unoriginal... at least nobody is gonna replace humans with antropomorphs...

Rebels? I like the modern warfare ones.

Colosus is big and awesome. But steampunk colosus is awesomier!

All in all, I pick Steampunk!

Level 26
#1 WHAT! WHEN DID WE HAVE A MECH CONTEST D: oh god i missed it :'(

#2 well, colossus could be mechanical. but they could also could be organic. Like in "SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS" they dont have to be mechanical. they only need to be giant and epic. If you want you could even make a sea creature or you could make it steampunk or you could just make a giant animal thing. Colossus can be many things

Status
Not open for further replies.