1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Modelling Contest #17 - Theme Poll

Discussion in 'Submissions Archive' started by HappyCockroach, Jun 20, 2010.

?

Read all entries below before voting!!! (ONLY VOTE if you will participate)

1. Squad

22.2%
  2. Steampunk

24.4%
  3. Warcraft Model

34.4%
  4. Aircraft

33.3%
  5. Terror

24.4%
  6. Fantasy Hero (D&D Hero)

25.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Modelling Contest #17 - Theme Poll

Read all the six themes before making your vote. If you're not going to participate, or you can't model at all, do not vote, please. Only vote if you think that with that theme you could take part on it, or if you are strongly interested on the contest's output.

[​IMG]
    1 - Squad Model
    The contestants should create a model composed of 2 or more independent elements. That means that they should act separatedly in some of their animations. A goblin sapper, or a mortar team is a good demostration.
    Possibilities/Examples

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    2 - Steampunk
    The contestants are meant to create a model in the Steampunk style.
    Possibilities/Examples
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    3 - Warcraft Fitting Model
    The contestants will make an unit model that fits one of the Warcraft III races. Including the melee stardard ones, the campaign races and also the creep races. The unit should fit Warcraft style and proportions.
    A goblin slinger, or a nerubian warrior would be examples.
    Possibilities/Examples
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    If any unit in the WARCRAFT III belongs to the same race as your model, your model is eligible. (Arakkoa, Sporeling, Gnomes and such, no.)

[​IMG]
    4 - Aircraft - Changed to Flying Unit #2
    The contestants should make a flying unit, as a gyrocopter, or an airplane, or a hawk.
    Possibilities/Examples
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    5 - Terror
    The contestants are supposed to model an unit that gives a scary feel to the player.
    Possibilities/Examples
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    6 - Fantasy Hero
    The contestants are meant to model a Fantasy Hero that would fit the Dungeons and Dragons atmosphere.
    Possibilities/Examples
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. DonDustin

DonDustin

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    voted for everything besides Aircraft and Steampunk, because I want to make a living model :p
    but Squad is my favourite

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  3. PROXY

PROXY

3D Modeling Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    well, vote for everything beside terror and fantasy hero (well I'm not good in "terror-modelling" and I don't really like the fantasys hero thingy).

4. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I voted for Squad or Fantasy Hero cos I want to make/see REAL ANIMATIONS! Not those wacky mechs.

5. PROXY

PROXY

3D Modeling Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    my thoughts
    well, I know I've said this before, but I really, really think the squad one would be the most interresting one, where you need must creativity, both in model-originality and in animations, for example : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2aZrasBSuE&feature=related

watch until 1:30 to see the things I mean...

I know I voted for 4 things but for pointing out the thing I would vote if it would be only one choice.

6. anarchianbedlam

anarchianbedlam

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    SQUAD- this is a stupid theme, no one is going to finish their model because its hard enough making one model, but now you're asking someone to mesh and animate 2 or 3 models in 1. So you'll either make an incredibly simple 3 unit model ( like 3 bats flying together) or you'll bite off more than you can chew and want an extension or 5.... which of course will give trax and mr.bob aneurysms.
    STEAMPUNK- meh, im always up for some good ol mechanical mayhem, but.... well, i guess its alright.
    WARCRAFT- ? im a little confused on this theme, i wouldnt really consider this a theme since it usually fits under most if not all of the other themes.... this is really more uf s sub-category.
    AIRCRAFT- I give this theme a hearty "fuck yea!" Aircraft would be a kickass theme and you guys know it.
    TERROR- Meh, i dont really see what you could do with this, we'll just have a bunch of skeletons and werewolfs and halloween decorations as submissions.
    FANTASY HERO-BLEAGH! I WILL NOT SUPPORT A THEME THAT ENCOURAGES MORE TAVERN-MAP SYSTEMS. goddamn, we already have a fucking billion of those goddamn map, and your just asking for a billion more to be made if you pick this theme :/

7. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    A kickass theme? Aircraft needs basically no animations at all. What is kickass in that?
    I SUPPORT AIRCRAFT FOR A MINI-CONTEST!!!
    lol anarchy, please state valid arguments before saying this in big red font. We just had a contest in the same guidelines as aircraft, for PEOPLE WHO CAN'T ANIMATE. But Aircraft is even more ANIMATION-LESS friendly. Keep your animating handicaps to a good mini-contest. God dammit, aren't we ever gonna have a real contest going on?

AND ALSO you saying that the contest output for the Fantasy Hero is not welcome is RIDICULOUS!
    YOU are the one who said that you didn't want useful outputs, but competitive themes.

8. DonDustin

DonDustin

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    squad models aren't actually that difficult. I would count my puppetmaster as one and it took around 3 weeks to create it, with breaks of some days, because I did not wanted to work on it :>
    People were able to spend around 2000-3500 faces for a simple tank model so I guess it wouldn't be a problem for them to create a squad model of 2-4 models with 800-1200 faces each which would end to a face count of 1600-4800.
    Aircraft is simpy the counterpart of the tank contest and this does not fit right now as it is way too similar.

9. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah, Squad isn't all that difficult. Squad models would bring up innovative models with cool concepts, it would be just awesome.
    (Also, you should consider that the squad parts have less detail)
    The thing is that when people want things, they dramatize everything in order to manipulate facts and force others to be the closest possible to agreeing with them. :con:

And, yeah, sadly, if Aircraft is chosen, we will have the awful Tank Contest sequel coming up. There's nothing that can be done against that, I guess. :sad:

10. anarchianbedlam

anarchianbedlam

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    :D i still like aircraft

11. WILL THE ALMIGHTY

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Western theme. Add in whatever exaggeration you want, like a horse with miniguns on its back or something.

12. anarchianbedlam

anarchianbedlam

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    i would vote for either aircraft or western....

:O OR WESTERN AIRCRAFT!
    .... LIKE THE WRIGHT BROTHERS!

... cause if that theme is wrong... id rather be "WRIGHT!"

13. DonDustin

DonDustin

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

in addition:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  14. anarchianbedlam

anarchianbedlam

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and i didnt want to have to do this.... but happycockroach has left me no choice... i must pull out my trump card...

[​IMG]

attached
    chuck norris western.jpg top gun tom cruise.jpg how interesting.jpg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  15. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hey guys...seriously. Since Aircraft basically just requires the geometry work and wrap, and almost no animation work, don't you think, honestly, that it could fit well in the Modeling Mini-Contest #4?
    Then we'd have both Aircraft contest and Fantasy Hero contest going on.

16. anarchianbedlam

anarchianbedlam

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    no :(

You guys dont understand, just because something doesnt "require" complex animations, doesnt mean you still cant give your model complex animations. By making the contest more accessible, we aren't restricting contestants, we are allowing more contestants the chance to enter. Just like what happened in the tank contest.

Modeling contest numbers 15, 14 and 12 all had only 6 contestants, and 13 had 8.

But number 16:Tanks, had 10 contestants. More contestants breeds more competition.

:D hence, why aircraft is obviously the best contest

17. tee.dubs

tee.dubs

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I'm really craving terror models. But that's just me, even if its another theme I'll incorporate terror into it. I'm just really sadistic and want to scare little children, surely there are others like me out there...

18. Malcous

Malcous

Resources:
    Resources:
    Voted for squad !

19. PROXY

PROXY

3D Modeling Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    anyway, It's really funny to see the battle Aircraft vs. Squad lol :3

20. Mr. Bob

Mr. Bob

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I don't really model for WC3 anymore, but I'd like to try steampunk for a final model. And yes, I know I originally said aircraft. But, I changed my mind! :D