• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #29! - themes?

In which themes would you like to participate? (Descriptions at the thread)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
POLL IS UP!

Please vote only if you might participate as a contestant. Below are the descriptions of each proposed theme:

• Rebirth: Contestants should create a model that can ressurect indefinitely, or a determined number of times. As an example: The in-game Phoenix, or the classical zombie that constantly revives.
  • Squad: Contestants should create a model that represents two or more characters that perform actions collaboratively, as the dwarven Mortar Team, or the Goblin Sappers.
  • Harvest & Harvester: Contestants should create an unit and a simple doodad. The unit represents the worker that collects an specific resource. The doodad is the source of what the worker collects. An example: A Draenei and the Outland Tree, or a Fisherman and a Fish School.
  • Fortress + Minion: Contestants should create two models: 1) The fortress, that produces small units periodically, and 2) The minions that come out of it. An in-game example is the Pocket Factory and the Clockwork Goblins. It may require a bit of work, but both models are meant to be simple, so It works, I guess. Might be good for a paired contest
  • Pirates: Contestants should create a model that fits the pirate universe.
  • Portable Buildings: Contestants should create a model of a building, mechanical or not, which has the ability to move - be it through an animation, or an alternate form that walks.
  • Mutants: Contestants should create a model which represents an unit with abnormal mutations.
  • Lore Hero: Contestants should model a hero which represents a character present in Warcraft Lore (WC1, WC2, etc). Example: Lothar, Medivh, King Llane.

Send your suggestions and state your preferences.
(Once 2 or more people like a specific theme being discussed, I'll be adding it to the list. That is to avoid having about 30 themes at the poll. If anyone wants their theme suggestion to be added to the poll let me know and I add it here)

Last edited:
Were steampunk ever a theme? If not, then steampunk.
Also pirates.
It was at the modeling contest #26. Might be too early to repeat a theme...

I'm adding pirates to the list. Even if I think this is the kind of theme that has an output which isn't much interesting and hardly serious.... it's about YARR and pirateness and I think people had enough of it xD

I'm adding pirates to the list. Even if I think this is the kind of theme that has an output which isn't much interesting and hardly serious.... it's about YARR and pirateness and I think people had enough of it xD

What do you mean? Space pirates, medieval pirates, airship pirates, Somalian pirates, internet pirates, infinite posibilites :ogre_datass: (Kappa)

Roland

R

Roland

Can you guys try something that isn't part of the previous list? much like umm... based on Game of thrones or vikings or other?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
  • Squad: Contestants should create a model that represents two or more characters that perform actions collaboratively, as the dwarven Mortar Team, or the Goblin Sappers.
Since I'm no modeler, feel free to ignore my nomination... But if I get to vote, my vote totally goes to this (Squad). It's the best idea out of the bunch, both because we have so few of them & because there's so many options (a Troll Medicine Mon & his cauldron-bearing Turtle-Familiar, a Human/Elven Knight/Mage pairing, an Orcish Hunter and his pet Wolf, a pair of Gnomish Battle-Twins, a swarm of Vampire Bats, a phalanx of Soldiers in formation, a half-Elven forest-child and his glowing Faerie-Wisp companion, a burly Furbolg with a Harpy in his backpack, a pair of primates, a mechanical/martial elf with a furry freak, a blue hedgehog paired with a flying multi-tailed fox, a wisecracking rabbit with a cool-handed dog cop, a chameleon with a feisty bat bud, or even a furry genius Kobold with a mechanical compatriot!)

So many ideas. : )
xD

(Just as a note, you don't need to have the bracketed "list" phrase around every single "[*]"; you can just use one set of [list]...[/list].)

My semester is almost end, Im definitely going to join this :D
Mm, you don't say? ; )

I would really like to see where in the Rules it says that Contests/Polls can't repeat Themes. People always talk about it as if it were set in stone... But I always figured that if people suggested it/voted for it at one time, and it didn't make it, there's likely still a number of people interested in it; if it did, then it was popular enough that people might want to do it again.

I get a loose "rule of thumb" to avoid multiple Contests with identical Themes since (depending on the Contest & the Theme) it could get boring after a while... But then again, if people really like "Mech Unit" or "Unit -> Hero Conversions", why not again?

I get a loose "rule of thumb" to avoid multiple Contests with identical Themes since (depending on the Contest & the Theme) it could get boring after a while... But then again, if people really like "Mech Unit" or "Unit -> Hero Conversions", why not again?
It is no fixed rule. We repeated the theme Flying Units, and repeated the Collossus theme as well. To me, we should only try to have a reasonable interval between the instances of a same theme. I'd say 26 -> 29 is too close. But who knows...

Last edited:
Level 18
Last contest Poll (#28) had the following themes:

• Tier 1 Equivalent ("Footman")
  • Portable Buildings
  • Leader
  • Veteran
  • Builders / Workers
  • Re-imagining
  • Corrupted / Fel / Cursed
  • Defensive Structures
  • Fantasy / Medieval Tech

I suggest we add PORTABLE BUILDINGS to this poll#29. I prefer this theme because it allows more focus on (usefullness + minor animation) vs (heavy special effects + complicated anims) approach. Personal choise though, for I would certainly compete if any heavy mechanical theme is selected.

Last contest Poll (#28) had the following themes:

• Tier 1 Equivalent ("Footman")
  • Portable Buildings
  • Leader
  • Veteran
  • Builders / Workers
  • Re-imagining
  • Corrupted / Fel / Cursed
  • Defensive Structures
  • Fantasy / Medieval Tech

I suggest we add PORTABLE BUILDINGS to this poll#29. I prefer this theme because it allows more focus on (usefullness + minor animation) vs (heavy special effects + complicated anims) approach. Personal choise though, for I would certainly compete if any heavy mechanical theme is selected.
Most of the themes of the last poll didn't sound very interesting to me... or were too close to already done themes. But the Portable Buildings theme is rather interesting indeed, it drew my attention also. I'll add it to the list here :)

We wait a while, for more ideas and opinions, and I add a poll to this thread with all the potential themes.

Level 51
Ooh, I totally forgot Portable Buildings... And I had some really good ideas for it, too. That's a solid one; that or Squads, honestly, are the best.

Yep, like that too.

That would do. If nothing I would go for pirates if I have time.

Support that one too, seeing as there are so many types and styles of pirates (modern, space, fantasy, old ages) etc. And if you hop for example on the fantasy/middle age train, you can go freak ass crazy, just imagine mos-eisley in a fantasy world and you got soo many different types of pirates. The possibilites are endless. Letting them use exotic pets, sexy pirate girls, head hunters, captains, big canon wielders, sabre fighters and so on...

Royal sea fighters, deserters, ghost pirates, sea-creature/pirate mixup (like in the movies) etc...

Dragons? Brutes? Errr.... Unique Neutral monster/creep that suppose to sit in creep camp?
Heroes?
Bandits race?
That would do.
Which of the themes Hayate proposed you mean? The Creep theme? To have avoid an insanely big poll it is better to choose a few themes only. (I'll even remove those I proposed and nobody showed interest xD)

what about naga anomaly? :p or just anomaly of any kind :p
Ellaborate on that, sir. >.>

I guess (naga :b) anomalies can go in mutations? a single unit's body is morphed by itself into something for new purpose, there really is no limit, as a mutation can be either melee, or ranged, swimming or flying, magical or virus-like, that's what i see on living anomalies

or, in other words, an anomaly can be any warped effect that looks out of this world, which, i think, we didn't do in a while

Which of the themes Hayate proposed you mean? The Creep theme? To have avoid an insanely big poll it is better to choose a few themes only. (I'll even remove those I proposed and nobody showed interest xD)

Ellaborate on that, sir. >.>

I just throw a couple of list to see if there is anything interested to others :V

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Let me make sure to say this early: please do a Multi-Vote Poll; it makes everything better. Sunshine will peer through the cracks in the walls, flowers will grow spontaneously through the ground, the lamb shall lie with the lion and all humanity shall cheer.

Also we'll get a better sense of preferences rather than "ooh, this is winning, well my vote was wasted".

To have avoid an insanely big poll it is better to choose a few themes only. (I'll even remove those I proposed and nobody showed interest xD)
A Multi-Vote Poll allows you have a Poll of nearly *any* size with few consequences, my good sir. : )

or, in other words, an anomaly can be any warped effect that looks out of this world, which, i think, we didn't do in a while
Sounds interesting. Reminds me a bit of the Aberration contest. But there could be a referenced mutation, as choosing a base unit and making its mutant version.

I just throw a couple of list to see if there is anything interested to others :V
It's alright x)
We should discuss more so we have solid themes to propose. :p
Heroes, bandits...
It's kinda vague still. Is it just doing a model with the bandit theme?
Occurs to me having to do a villain counterpart to an in-game hero. Or a hero counterpart to an in-game evil hero. Example: a Vampire hunter as counterpart to the Dreadlord :v

A Multi-Vote Poll allows you have a Poll of nearly *any* size with few consequences, my good sir. : )
Multi-vote will it be, for sure. But even if it's multi-vote, but having dozens of themes to decide, some which are just thrown ideas, isn't a good thing in terms of effectiveness of the poll.

I dunno if you guys are up to debating more themes, I think we could put up this poll at the end of the day today.

I would go for the lore heroes. We never had this theme. My suggestion only. It was suggested on the last contest but never made it. Also we lack lore heroes, like Lothar, Medivh, King Llane..I never played Warcraft 1 and 2 but did read about those 'heroes'.
That's a good idea :)
And will put out useful models.

One theme that didn't receive much attention, maybe passed unnoticed, is the Fortress + Minion, which I find to be quite nice. As another example of possible entry to that theme, we have the D2 Foul Crow and Foul Crow nest:

Foul_Crow_Nest_%28Diablo_II%29.gif
-
Foul_Crow_%28Diablo_II%29.gif

I think it's a theme that allows a lot of creativity. Might be good for the next paired contest, since it requires a little bigger amount of work.

Rebirth - the unit would basically need a birth animation? Although it's hard to think what it could be

Squad - it may be too hard to have two animated models that are in right sequence. Chariots count? :p

Unknown race - those who don't know much about warcraft lore, may do something that already exist, warcraft lore is very vast.

Harvest + Harvester - can the harvest be a unit too? Like goldmine.

Fortress + Minion - better for a paired contest, but still 'fortress' could be done which spawns some wc3 units

Pirates - this can be very wide, from individual sailor, to ships, cannons, ports and equipment. Better more specifics if going this theme

Portable buildings - I think something similar was already done, transformers or something, where archian bedlam did his robot fort

Mutants - better for a texturing contest

Lore hero - can range too very trivial to uber hard, depends how well must be facial details been made and so on

From these I would probably choose pirates

POLL IS UP!

Please vote only if you might participate as a contestant.

Rebirth - the unit would basically need a birth animation? Although it's hard to think what it could be
It would basically die, and revive, and possibly die again, and revive again, indefinitely or not. Birth and death only, doesn't count, if the concept doesn't involve the 'revive' aspect.

Squad - it may be too hard to have two animated models that are in right sequence. Chariots count? :p
Yes, don't know how easy will that be. And chariots, even if they technically count, might be a weak concept, doesn't resemble a "Squad" exactly... :p

Harvest + Harvester - can the harvest be a unit too? Like goldmine.
I'd say yes, it can be, fits what the theme is meant for.

Fortress + Minion - better for a paired contest, but still 'fortress' could be done which spawns some wc3 units
Let's do it as a paired contest! :D
Once the normal contest is done, I suggest.
Portable buildings - I think something similar was already done, transformers or something, where archian bedlam did his robot fort
Morphing units. anarchianbedlam won with a castle-like transformer thing.

From these I would probably choose pirates
Seems to be the favorite theme. Not of mine! xD

well above is why i choose to call the 'mutants' anomalies :xxd: because its not about just changing their texture, but changing their body plan and purpose in an odd way. you guys are just always trying to simplify the idea on what you wanna make instead of expanding upon it :p or.. at least the way i see it .u.
To be honest, I thought anomalies felt much as mere 'alterations' of models, what isn't much interesting. And I thought your idea would do a better contest as Mutants, since it allows models that are mutant creatures done from scratch. Either way, it's the contestant's interpretation that expands or simplifies on a certain theme, not the description.

You can notify the administration to set up a notice for this poll. It usuall draws more attention.

It's worth a try.
Dunno.. we seek the opinions from people who model and participate in contests, that would draw many votes from people that do neither of those and are possibly compulsive poll voters. I have contacted every participant of the last contest via PM or VM to drop by and vote, and you guys can do the same, I think it's more adequate.

People were anxious for last contest to end, so I guess it's about time we start. Unless anyone opposes, I'll put up the thread at the end of the day today. Let's get going with it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.