• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Next Modeling Contest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello peoples! We're still closing the Paired Modeling/Texturing Contest, and while we're at it, we may put up ideas to the next contest in the modeling fields :)

A few theme ideas we have on the shelf, waiting to be hosted:
  • Portable Buildings: Contestants should create a model of a building, mechanical or not, which has the ability to move - be it through an animation, or an alternate form that walks.

• Single-Textured Model: Contestants should choose 1 texture from the MPQ and use only that to create a model. Only particles and ribbons may use other textures. Creativity to reinvent that texture usage should be valued.

• Half-Breed Races: Contestants should create a model that represents a race originated from the breed of different creatures, be those humanoid or not. Using more than two creatures as base is allowed (Multi-Breed).

• Worker Unit: Contestants are to create an unit which is meant to collect resources and/or build structures, therefore representing a worker in the melee gameplay. The worker may either replace one of the original workers to the melee races, or belong to a different race.

• Fel/Corrupted: Contestants are to create a unit which is completely or halfway corrupted by Fel Energies. (The Contestant will have to say, if it's halfway or completely)

• Housing: Contestants meant to model a small building meant to provide food supply, to any possible race, be it existent in WC3 or not. (Modeling Mini-Contest #6!)

• Fortress + Minion: Contestants should create two models: 1) The fortress, that produces small units periodically, and 2) The minions that come out of it. An in-game example is the Pocket Factory and the Clockwork Goblins. Another illustrative example are the Blood Hawks from Diablo II. (Paired Modeling/Texturing Contest #4!)

Thread is open to propositions and opinions! A poll might be necessary, but if in our discussion we have a consensus it may be fine. (We have many contests to come! And most of those ideas were supported by many people in past threads and should be hosted sooner or later :) )

Level 11
  • Critters - Contestants are to create critters.
  • Wildlife - Contestants are to create an land or aquatic animal that fits the warcraft universe.
  • Metamorphosis - Create a unit which will have its own metamorphosis animation.
Maybe not too interesting but at least some ideas.

I, particularly, am totally for the Portable Buildings theme.

Even if I'm not much into mechanical things, it's been a while we had a theme of that sort. And as far as I know, it's the theme that has been waiting the longest to be hosted. And it allows much more alternatives other than mechanical. There are the Ancients, also someone might make a mobile Forgotten One kind of thing, with Zerg-ish looks, or simply packable/unpackable things that carry themselves around, and well... everything else I couldn't think up as of now.

It's really a creativity based theme. Which I always support :D
  • Critters - Contestants are to create critters.
  • Wildlife - Contestants are to create an land or aquatic animal that fits the warcraft universe.
  • Metamorphosis - Create a unit which will have its own metamorphosis animation.
Maybe not too interesting but at least some ideas.
We had those, whether as mini-contests or as regular contests. If more people show interest in repeating them, yes, we may do it.

Pretty good list; excited for the next one. The only thing this suggestion list is missing?

Trolls.
I know of your obsession for Trolls. >.> ...but don't you think it's a 0% imaginative theme? If anyone dislikes trolls, they'll dislike the contest as a whole. It's always better to set as theme abstract categories, as 'Spellcasters', or 'Cavalry' (we had both already), so Troll Lovers can do troll-based interpretations of the theme. Mechanical modelers can do mechanical interpretations. And so on...

Level 30
It's always better to set as theme abstract categories, as 'Spellcasters', or 'Cavalry' (we had both already), so Troll Lovers can do troll-based interpretations of the theme. Mechanical modelers can do mechanical interpretations. And so on...

Abstract categories? Does the Warlock theme and Death Knight theme apply to this?

It would not be specific what Race it would have to be.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I know of your obsession for Trolls. >.> ...but don't you think it's a 0% imaginative theme? If anyone dislikes trolls, they'll dislike the contest as a whole. It's always better to set as theme abstract categories, as 'Spellcasters', or 'Cavalry' (we had both already), so Troll Lovers can do troll-based interpretations of the theme. Mechanical modelers can do mechanical interpretations. And so on...
Looks like I should have put a winky-face on the post... Just being me, man. :p

(although, like Abovegame said, there's lots more than just units, but heroes, buildings, doodads, ... Wouldn't say 0% room for creativity. ;P)

Level 18
I was playing Magic the Gathering with my little brother, just building casual standard decks, and the following theme idea pop to mind.
How about a Techtree contest were we create a faction/race based on a TCG or CCG deck.

So you could pick any Trading Card Game or even Collecting Card Game, and based on the mechanics and theme of the cards (a single deck) you create your faction. We got IPs like "Magic The Gathering", "Yu-Gi-Oh" or even online ones like "Hearthstone", each win thousands of different decks.

What do you think about the *theme idea?

PS1: I added the restriction of focusing on only 1 deck, so about 60 cards (many repeated), because I know these games have 5000+ cards in most cases.

PS2: another idea would be to just choose 1 of the big IPs with no further restrictions. So all contestants could create a faction based on cards from the same IP. (again 5000+ cards so huge pool from were to choose)

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I was playing Magic the Gathering with my little brother, just building casual standard decks, and the following theme idea pop to mind.
How about a Techtree contest were we create a faction/race based on a TCG or CCG deck.

So you could pick any Trading Card Game or even Collecting Card Game, and based on the mechanics and theme of the cards (a single deck) you create your faction. We got IPs like "Magic The Gathering", "Yu-Gi-Oh" or even online ones like "Hearthstone", each win thousands of different decks.

What do you think about the idea?

PS1: I added the restriction of focusing on only 1 deck, so about 60 cards (many repeated), because I know these games have 5000+ cards in most cases.

PS2: another idea would be to just choose 1 of the big IPs with no further restrictions. So all contestants could create a faction based on cards from the same IP. (again 5000+ cards so huge pool from were to choose)
I love this idea (or a variant of it, specifically regarding a specific part of MtG), but this is the wrong topic boyo. ; )

Level 18
I love this idea (or a variant of it, specifically regarding a specific part of MtG), but this is the wrong topic boyo. ; )
Wow, I have to pay closer attention, hehee I even rooted for the Portable Building theme.

Nevermind, I would love to have a contest where we create a character of MTG or other similar game. However, I don't think we have enough supporters from those games to justify it as a contest theme.

:p

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Wow, I have to pay closer attention, hehee I even rooted for the Portable Building theme.

Nevermind, I would love to have a contest where we create a character of MTG or other similar game. However, I don't think we have enough supporters from those games to justify it as a contest theme.

:p
I think you'd be surprised... Also, modelers don't necessarily need to be fans of a series to get excited & draw inspiration from it. MtG is like the D&D of TCGs; it's got nearly anything you can imagine. A quick Gatherer/Google Image search would definitely inspire.

Level 22
I like all Buildings themes:
- Portable Buildings (though I don't understand how to do it through an anim, to me it should necessarily have an alternate form)
- Housing (should be generalized to "Building that produces resource", resource can be other than food)
- Fortress + Minion (units produced should not necessarily be small)

Level 51
I had an interesting idea IMO. As I worked on a diablo 3 necromancer model for Spasmaster lately and also created an adaption from a diablo 3 demonhunter to a wc3 version of it, why not do something like a crossover?

Contestants are to create a character, unit or whatever from another blizzard franchise (diablo or starcraft or both) to fit into wc3 lore and aesthetic wise.

Level 11
I'm not much for contests or competition but I like an excuse for modeling if I can find the time (ha).

I'm not ecstatic about buildings but i guess portable/minion options lend more leeway and creativity to the building theme. I'd be against a paired contest personally, because despite loving the idea of teamwork, remapping to ingame textures is a lot of the 'modeling' I do haha.

Or I'd be down for the mini-contest idea too.

Level 18
@HappyCockroach started this thread but he hasn't logged into the Hive in a couple of months. I suggest that we go ahead with a poll with the current themes.

• Portable Buildings: Contestants should create a model of a building, mechanical or not, which has the ability to move - be it through an animation, or an alternate form that walks.

• Single-Textured Model: Contestants should choose 1 texture from the MPQ and use only that to create a model. Only particles and ribbons may use other textures. Creativity to reinvent that texture usage should be valued.

• Half-Breed Races: Contestants should create a model that represents a race originated from the breed of different creatures, be those humanoid or not. Using more than two creatures as base is allowed (Multi-Breed).

• Worker Unit: Contestants are to create an unit which is meant to collect resources and/or build structures, therefore representing a worker in the melee gameplay. The worker may either replace one of the original workers to the melee races, or belong to a different race.

• Fel/Corrupted: Contestants are to create a unit which is completely or halfway corrupted by Fel Energies. (The Contestant will have to say, if it's halfway or completely)

• Housing: Contestants meant to model a small building meant to provide food supply, to any possible race, be it existent in WC3 or not. (Modeling Mini-Contest #6!)

• Fortress + Minion: Contestants should create two models: 1) The fortress, that produces small units periodically, and 2) The minions that come out of it. An in-game example is the Pocket Factory and the Clockwork Goblins. Another illustrative example are the Blood Hawks from Diablo II. (Paired Modeling/Texturing Contest #4!)

Personally I think that we have enough options, but the list should reflect what people is interested in doing right now.

Level 18
Yeah Magic the Gathering is awesome, I definitively support this idea.
My concern is that MTG is as big of a theme as it gets, so my suggestion is that the modelling contest just focus on "Legendary Characters". For technical reasons that would be "Legendary Creatures" and "Planeswakers" of the game. (Currently the list is about 957 cards that fit that description in MTG, so still a healthy pool for options to get inspired).

PS: here is the link to all the 959 cards of Legendary Characters currently in MTG.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
While I disagree, I have no problem with subsets of the Theme.

Ravnica (pick a Guild & model some cool monster/a Legendary from that) would be my first pick. But also you could just pick one color (or color combination); there's plenty of things in each Color to do.

Also you could pick a single themed Plane (Innistrad or Amonkhet or Theros) & do something from there. Or just inspired from there.

Last edited:
Level 18
MMM, what are your thoughts about having a fast mini-modelling contest to bring new people in and spark new attention to the contest?

Following the theme of trolls, a quick 2-3 week mini-contest could be hosted about creating a troll inspired attachment with limiting rules like: (less than 50kb and/or only ingame textures).

Status
Not open for further replies.