• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Paired Modeling/Texturing Contest #3 ? :)

Potential Participant, do you want this modeling contest to be Solo or Paired?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We just had our Modeling Mini-Contest #5 closed, and while we vote, judge, etc, we could start to think up what will be of the next one. :)

It could be a regular contest, or another Paired Modeling/Texturing Contest, which I think would be cool. :D (If we're to do a non-paired one I rename the thread later :p )

Themes I propose: (I went grab some old themes from past brainstorm threads)

• Fortress + Minion: Contestants should create two models: 1) The fortress, that produces small units periodically, and 2) The minions that come out of it. An in-game example is the Pocket Factory and the Clockwork Goblins.
    Another illustrative example are the Blood Hawks from Diablo II:

latest
    +
    latest

• Harvest & Harvester: Contestants should create an unit and a destructible. The unit represents the worker that collects an specific resource. The destructible is the source of what the worker collects. An example: A Draenei and the Outland Tree, a Fisherman and a Fish School, and so on. (examples are uncreative so they don't eliminate good concept possibilities xD ..but there are great ones)

• Portable Buildings: Contestants should create a model of a building, mechanical or not, which has the ability to move - be it through an animation, or an alternate form that walks.

• Worker Unit: Contestants are to create an unit which is meant to collect resources and/or build structured, therefore representing a worker in the melee gameplay. The worker may either replace one of the original workers to the melee races, or belong to a different race. (It differs from the theme above in not having to think the worker along with the fitting resource)

• Leader: Contestants meant to model a leader to a certain faction or group - be it a king, a lord, a chieftain, and so on.

Thread is open to propositions, opinions, etc. And texturers, give your opinion if you want a paired contest to come, would be good to hear from you too. :p

Have we had a 'Leader' themed contest yet? Like making a suitably epic model for the kings, lords, or otherwise leaders of certain factions? For example, Sargeras.
I guess we never had that. It's a good theme. I assume we'd be able to make leaders to lesser factions too. Being that the case, there are many possibilities, as a troll tribe, a bandit camp, a creep race, etc.

Personally, I've been hoping for an epic theme for a while now. Hell, I've been mulling over the idea of a multi-stage contest. Something where literally everything available to us is from previous contests. Like having contest badges be from an earlier contest. Then, icons, textures, terrain, models, and finally code.

I figure it'd be great, having a contest-based Hive map be the end result.

But more on topic, I'm dying to just let loose on one of these modelling contests, but so far, the theme just hasn't been right. If I had to pick, though, I'd probably go for... Fortress/Minion, if Leader isn't viable.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Not a huge fan of 'Leaders', mostly for the admittedly-selfish reasons of "I don't need anything like that" (& the exceedingly-unlikely chance I'd join again : P). Not a bad idea otherwise, though.

I like 'Portable Buildings' a lot, and I kinda like 'Fortress/Minions' (& even 'Harvester/Resource'), as they are not only useful but I could, in the vainest stretchings of my imaginationg, attempt them as well.

'Structures' and such are always really useful to map-makers, and in short supply. 'Elementals' are also neat & can be reasonably simple to incredibly complex. Also a big fan of 'racial' modeling Contests.

Level 32
In my opinion, portable buildings is quite interesting theme, but it will took a lot of time to make such models. Lots of bones, refs, animations etc. The most difficult theme. Fortress and minion - great one. But i most interested in Leader. Other themes (Workers, harvest) are less interesting.

Mmm, I vote for paired. However I would like to also vote for the theme. Personally I also support the "Portable Building" theme.
I like the Portable Building theme as well, but how about we do it to the next regular contest?

I have the impression buildings aren't very promising to the Texturing part... @Heinvers @stein123 @The_Silent , thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Depends on what kind of building they make I suppose,
nothing prevents anyone from making organic buildings, as long as they're meant to function as a structure from a gameplay perspective, like the night elf structures, the forgotten one, etc.
It will always depend on each specific entry. What is in discussion is the essence of the contest's theme. I've seen very few texturing contests regarding buildings. I have the impression people don't have that much interest in making skins for those.
I agree to use portable buildings in next regular contest. Btw, will be enough artists for this contest? Seems that a lot of contestants will participate.
The 2D artists at this thread may be few yet, but it doesn't say much. After we put up public notices and such, the number should certainly grow.

I like the Portable Building theme as well, but how about we do it to the next regular contest?

I have the impression buildings aren't very promising to the Texturing part... @Heinvers @stein123 @The_Silent , thoughts on this?
Buildings are iffy at best. With the exception of thr Ancient ofc.

I'd go for unitw tbh, giving us more freedom.

As for texturing folks, it's not a big problem. I have most of them grouped in a convo group and can inform them about this event should it be launched :]

I think we should leave it up to a vote next time, and point out that Portable Buildings was one of the prevailing options this time around.

Incase anyone changes their mind on it.
Maybe yes, but should we vote every theme we host? When there's a minority that likes doing buildings (I dislike them as well), we might leave them out every contest because we leave it up to the vote. And even in our current voting system, we very often don't mind participating in contests which theme we didn't vote for. I think sometimes an open discussion is better than a poll. We may revive this thread after the next contest ends.

By the way, I've been putting up the judging criteria to the Paired Contest, and it all came down to the following:

We'd have 2 kinds of judges. The Modeling judge and the Texturing judge. (at least 1 of each type)
And 3 fields of judging: Design (20 points), Modeling (40 points) and Texturing (40 points).

Besides their specific areas, all judges shall judge the design. That is, the idea. How creative, original, consistent, fitting, etc is the idea.

I think it sounds coherent enough, even because the design of the entry is generally made by the team together.

I could follow past paired contest's patterns, but those were really lacking. They were treated as regular modeling contests, being the texture only 10 points of the score.

Level 22
Portable Buildings would be very interesting for a pure Modeling contest, because the essence of "portable" is in the animations and the geosets layout. I agree that Buildings are boring, but PORTABLE Buildings are definitely not, there are so much creative ways to make a building movable! I'd like a contest that pushes people to get creative.

Leaders are a pretty generic theme, almost anything can fit. Which makes it a very good idea for a Paired Contest, I believe that this contest would emphasize the technicity of modeling: mesh + texture + wrap + synergy between all. I'd like to participate in such contest because of the technical challenge, but i doubt it will bring anything new to the database.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Portable Buildings would be very interesting for a pure Modeling contest, because the essence of "portable" is in the animations and the geosets layout. I agree that Buildings are boring, but PORTABLE Buildings are definitely not, there are so much creative ways to make a building movable! I'd like a contest that pushes people to get creative.

Leaders are a pretty generic theme, almost anything can fit. Which makes it a very good idea for a Paired Contest, I believe that this contest would emphasize the technicity of modeling: mesh + texture + wrap + synergy between all. I'd like to participate in such contest because of the technical challenge, but i doubt it will bring anything new to the database.
I couldn't have put it better myself. Insightful.

Couldn't agree more. I always support the 'conceptually difficult' contest themes :p , but I took as consensus the theme Leaders since it's what people is going for - a simple, quite open theme, which doesn't necessarily offers a big challenge in terms of concept, but allows great stuff to be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.