1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Next Modeling Contest!

Discussion in 'Submissions Archive' started by HappyCockroach, Aug 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hello peoples! We're still closing the Paired Modeling/Texturing Contest, and while we're at it, we may put up ideas to the next contest in the modeling fields :)

A few theme ideas we have on the shelf, waiting to be hosted:
    • Portable Buildings: Contestants should create a model of a building, mechanical or not, which has the ability to move - be it through an animation, or an alternate form that walks.

• Single-Textured Model: Contestants should choose 1 texture from the MPQ and use only that to create a model. Only particles and ribbons may use other textures. Creativity to reinvent that texture usage should be valued.

• Half-Breed Races: Contestants should create a model that represents a race originated from the breed of different creatures, be those humanoid or not. Using more than two creatures as base is allowed (Multi-Breed).

• Worker Unit: Contestants are to create an unit which is meant to collect resources and/or build structures, therefore representing a worker in the melee gameplay. The worker may either replace one of the original workers to the melee races, or belong to a different race.

• Fel/Corrupted: Contestants are to create a unit which is completely or halfway corrupted by Fel Energies. (The Contestant will have to say, if it's halfway or completely)

• Housing: Contestants meant to model a small building meant to provide food supply, to any possible race, be it existent in WC3 or not. (Modeling Mini-Contest #6!)

• Fortress + Minion: Contestants should create two models: 1) The fortress, that produces small units periodically, and 2) The minions that come out of it. An in-game example is the Pocket Factory and the Clockwork Goblins. Another illustrative example are the Blood Hawks from Diablo II. (Paired Modeling/Texturing Contest #4!)

Thread is open to propositions and opinions! A poll might be necessary, but if in our discussion we have a consensus it may be fine. (We have many contests to come! And most of those ideas were supported by many people in past threads and should be hosted sooner or later :) )

2. Hayate

Hayate

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Single textured model sound interesting

3. Mister_Haudrauf

Mister_Haudrauf

Model Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Worker Unit. We always need Worker Units. They are always useful. (Ok sometimes they aren't. But most of the time they are).

Edit: Half-Breed (Multi-Breed) is also interresting. I am thinking of something like Rexxar or the half-elves.

4. Abovegame

Abovegame

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    • Critters - Contestants are to create critters.
    • Wildlife - Contestants are to create an land or aquatic animal that fits the warcraft universe.
    • Metamorphosis - Create a unit which will have its own metamorphosis animation.
    Maybe not too interesting but at least some ideas.

5. Astaroth Zion

Astaroth Zion

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Good timing for the next modelling contest, I'm eager to participate.
    My favorite theme is portable buildings, yet worker unit or fortress+minion also sound fun for me.

PS: I don't have any other suggestion for theme. :D

6. Mister_Haudrauf

Mister_Haudrauf

Model Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    A theme suggestion from me:
    • Fel Corrupted - Contestants are to create a Unit, which is completely or halfway corrupted by Fel Energies. (The Contestant will have to say, if it's halfway or completely)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  7. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I, particularly, am totally for the Portable Buildings theme.

Even if I'm not much into mechanical things, it's been a while we had a theme of that sort. And as far as I know, it's the theme that has been waiting the longest to be hosted. And it allows much more alternatives other than mechanical. There are the Ancients, also someone might make a mobile Forgotten One kind of thing, with Zerg-ish looks, or simply packable/unpackable things that carry themselves around, and well... everything else I couldn't think up as of now.

It's really a creativity based theme. Which I always support :D
    We had those, whether as mini-contests or as regular contests. If more people show interest in repeating them, yes, we may do it.

8. Abovegame

Abovegame

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oops,sorry.Didn't know we already had those.Portable building are like metamorphosis , also interesting idea.If i have any more suggestions i'll post them.

9. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Pretty good list; excited for the next one. The only thing this suggestion list is missing?

Trolls.

10. Abovegame

Abovegame

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I always have the feeling that we have an abundance of troll models.I'm with Kyrbi0 on this one.Perhaps troll architecture,culture,pets,etc.

11. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I know of your obsession for Trolls. >.> ...but don't you think it's a 0% imaginative theme? If anyone dislikes trolls, they'll dislike the contest as a whole. It's always better to set as theme abstract categories, as 'Spellcasters', or 'Cavalry' (we had both already), so Troll Lovers can do troll-based interpretations of the theme. Mechanical modelers can do mechanical interpretations. And so on...

12. Mister_Haudrauf

Mister_Haudrauf

Model Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Abstract categories? Does the Warlock theme and Death Knight theme apply to this?

It would not be specific what Race it would have to be.

13. Mike

Mike

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Portable buildings.

14. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Looks like I should have put a winky-face on the post... Just being me, man. :p

(although, like Abovegame said, there's lots more than just units, but heroes, buildings, doodads, ... Wouldn't say 0% room for creativity. ;P)

15. Astaroth Zion

Astaroth Zion

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    I was playing Magic the Gathering with my little brother, just building casual standard decks, and the following theme idea pop to mind.
    How about a Techtree contest were we create a faction/race based on a TCG or CCG deck.

So you could pick any Trading Card Game or even Collecting Card Game, and based on the mechanics and theme of the cards (a single deck) you create your faction. We got IPs like "Magic The Gathering", "Yu-Gi-Oh" or even online ones like "Hearthstone", each win thousands of different decks.

What do you think about the *theme idea?

PS1: I added the restriction of focusing on only 1 deck, so about 60 cards (many repeated), because I know these games have 5000+ cards in most cases.

PS2: another idea would be to just choose 1 of the big IPs with no further restrictions. So all contestants could create a faction based on cards from the same IP. (again 5000+ cards so huge pool from were to choose)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  16. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I love this idea (or a variant of it, specifically regarding a specific part of MtG), but this is the wrong topic boyo. ; )

17. Astaroth Zion

Astaroth Zion

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Wow, I have to pay closer attention, hehee I even rooted for the Portable Building theme.

Nevermind, I would love to have a contest where we create a character of MTG or other similar game. However, I don't think we have enough supporters from those games to justify it as a contest theme.

:p

18. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I think you'd be surprised... Also, modelers don't necessarily need to be fans of a series to get excited & draw inspiration from it. MtG is like the D&D of TCGs; it's got nearly anything you can imagine. A quick Gatherer/Google Image search would definitely inspire.

19. Freddyk

Freddyk

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I like all Buildings themes:
    - Portable Buildings (though I don't understand how to do it through an anim, to me it should necessarily have an alternate form)
    - Housing (should be generalized to "Building that produces resource", resource can be other than food)
    - Fortress + Minion (units produced should not necessarily be small)

20. PROXY

PROXY

3D Modeling Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    I had an interesting idea IMO. As I worked on a diablo 3 necromancer model for Spasmaster lately and also created an adaption from a diablo 3 demonhunter to a wc3 version of it, why not do something like a crossover?

Contestants are to create a character, unit or whatever from another blizzard franchise (diablo or starcraft or both) to fit into wc3 lore and aesthetic wise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.