• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #20 - Themes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 48
Suggest your themes for the next contests. When enough themes are gathered, we'll start a poll and we'll see which one is favored.

So far we have:

ContestDescription

Tier-1 Equivalent ("Footman")
Contestants must create a unit that fits the role of a standard mass-production cannon fodder unit, like a footman, a ghoul, a grunt, etc. It can be a part of the existing Warcraft 3 races(and thus effectively be a 'replacement') or a part of a different\unique race.

Techtree Contest Chain
Suggested by Dionesiist. Contestants have to create a basic techtree in a series of contests related to eachother. Contestants are not forced to participate in all contests, but are highly recommended to participate in at least two. The first contest will be 'Worker'. The one that will follow it up will be 'Footman\T1 Melee'. Next coming up will be 'Basic Ranged', then 'Spellcaster', 'Siege', 'Special\Ultimate' and then finally 'Hero'. (Or a variation of such an order. The order and contest themes are not final.)

Villain
Contestants must create an antagonistic character. The character must represent an evil side or force of sorts, which contrasts a character representing a good cause or force. Examples include Arthas(after being corrupted), Archimonde, Illidan and Deathwing. You are not forced to create a character from the Warcraft Universe; Those are just examples that everyone should be familiar with.
UndeadContestants must create a model representing the forces of the dead. The theme undead includes but is not limited to: Animated corpses(Zombies, Skeletons), ethereal beings(Ghosts, Banshees), corrupted creatures(Death Knights, Dark Rangers), Vampires(Including vampire-like beings, such as the Dreadlord), and constructs(Abominations, Flesh Golems, Bone Golems). Please note that demons(Pit Lords, Eredar, Felguards, Felhounds, Doom Guards, Succubi) are NOT Undead, unless they are obviously ressurected or in other means representing an undead being(such as Dreadlords, who are technically demons, but are obviously a nod towards vampires).
DemonContestants are to create a creature representing a demon. It can be from any franchise or from your own mind - A demon is generally an evil creature, often large and powerful, most of the times coming from hell or an equivalent of hell in a franchise. Examples: Pit Lord, Dreadlord, Felguard, Succubus, Fel Hound, Doom Guard, Voidwalker. Demoniacally corrupted races such as Fel Orcs, Satyrs and Naga are not considered demons.
DungeonContestants are to create a model representing a creature that is commonly found in dungeons or underground in generic fantasy universes.
Doodad PackContestants are to create a set amount of decorative doodads and\or destructibles, to be used in a map's terrain. A doodad only has 'stand' animations, while a destructible also has a 'death' animation(and thus increasing it's usefulness to mappers).
Campaign Screen ModelContestants must create a scene that is on average much more high-poly than regular Warcraft 3 models. The scene must represent some kind of a campaign screen - Examples being the Warcraft 3 campaign screen which represented a Peon, a Footman, a Lich, a Grunt, a Night Elven Archer(twice), a Spellbreaker, Arthas and finally Rexxar, each for its respective campaign. You are not forced to include a character, or a unit from Warcraft 3, in your campaign screen; A campaign screen might as easily be a landscape, or a sword, or a building, or a room, or whatever you feel like.
WesternContestants are to create a model based on the Western American culture - Cowboys, Indians, Horses, Cattle, Sheriffs, etc. Variations such as "space cowboys" or "western orcs" are allowed anytime they clearly represent something western.
LEGO WarcraftContestants are to recreate a Warcraft III model in a style that is reminiscent of LEGO.

Last edited:
Level 26
the purpose of a theme is to be a simple idea that can be summed up in a short sentence so that the contestants are free to explore their creativity.... this paragraph bullshit is ..... well, its bullshit.

As for actual theme suggestions, how about we wait until your "water" theme contest is over before we start humping the next modeling contest to death eh?

Level 48
As for actual theme suggestions, how about we wait until your "water" theme contest is over before we start humping the next modeling contest to death eh?

The naval contest is over. There is no poll yet, but it's over.
There is no poll for the texturing contest either.

the purpose of a theme is to be a simple idea that can be summed up in a short sentence so that the contestants are free to explore their creativity.... this paragraph bullshit is ..... well, its bullshit.
You're saying that 'Undead' is not a broad enough theme or something?
Those descriptions are not for the actual contest, obviously.
Besides, I sure hope you remember what happened to your short sentence bullshit @ Tank contest.

Level 26
The naval contest is over. There is no poll yet, but it's over.
There is no poll for the texturing contest either.

You're saying that 'Undead' is not a broad enough theme or something?
Those descriptions are not for the actual contest, obviously.
Besides, I sure hope you remember what happened to your short sentence bullshit @ Tank contest.

exactly my point, which is WHY it needs to be short

Level 26
personally I would like a doodads modeling contest, but that would be more of a mini modeling contest.
But the 7 deadly Sins theme that got suggested for the texturing contest would be also quite awesome for a modeling contest. Oh and I also like the villian theme

Level 48
Hmm.
A doodad pack is an interesting idea, although it was done before. But it was so long ago, most people who made models back then are no longer here.
The seven deadly sins for a modeling contest is a little problematic, because it seems quite likely that this theme will be accepted as the next texturing contest, and according to some people in Chat earlier, reusing themes is bad, even cross-contest.

Level 48
You can't really create a Barbarian for a Dungeon theme, or Baal for that matter, and neither can you create anything that isn't from Diablo for the Diablo theme. Dungeon and Diablo have many differences. :/
And Fiend and Demon don't really sound alike, and I'd very much rather have him explain what he's talking about than trust it to some silly dictionary. I know what a 'Fiend' is, I want to know what is HIS definition of 'Fiend'.

Level 26
DiabloContestants are to create a creature or character from the Diablo universe.
DungeonContestants are to create a model representing a creature that is commonly found in dungeons or underground in generic fantasy universes.

..... when do we get to see the part when debode suddenly realizes that diablo is a dungeon crawler game by definition, and then tries to rewrite his last post?

Level 31
You can't really create a Barbarian for a Dungeon theme, or Baal for that matter, and neither can you create anything that isn't from Diablo for the Diablo theme. Dungeon and Diablo have many differences. :/
And Fiend and Demon don't really sound alike, and I'd very much rather have him explain what he's talking about than trust it to some silly dictionary. I know what a 'Fiend' is, I want to know what is HIS definition of 'Fiend'.

Uh...You do know that Diablo is a game set in...dungeons right?

Also, a fiend is a demon. I dont understand the issue here.

Level 25
Diablo 1: you go into a single dungeon and keep going deeper until you reach Diablo
Diablo 2: you get quests, you go to dungeons, you go deeper, find a boss and beat the shit out of him, get another quest, repeat.

soooo D: yeah
diablo is a dungeon crawler game

Level 26
Diablo 1: you go into a single dungeon and keep going deeper until you reach Diablo
Diablo 2: you get quests, you go to dungeons, you go deeper, find a boss and beat the shit out of him, get another quest, repeat.

.... you need to go deeper?
2mxmmft.jpg

Level 48
Guys, guys, guys...
Cut the off-topic please.
Diablo is a dungeon-crawler franchise of games, but 'Dungeon' is not Diablo. Dungeon, as Dio said, can refer to any franchise or the original ideas of the contestants while Diablo forces you to recreate the concepts from the Diablo franchise for Warcraft 3.

And Vermillion's definition of 'Fiend' may be different from the dictionary's definition. If his previous contest models are 'Fiends' by his definition, I'd say it's something rather different than 'Demon'.
In either case, I'd rather just go with 'Demon', since less explanation is required and it's a broader theme. Less confusing as well.

Last edited:
Level 31
Guys, guys, guys...
Cut the off-topic please.
Diablo is a dungeon-crawler franchise of games, but 'Dungeon' is not Diablo. Dungeon, as Dio said, can refer to any franchise or the original ideas of the contestants while Diablo forces you to recreate the concepts from the Diablo franchise for Warcraft 3.

Yes guys. Cut the off topic, then watch as I continue it. Makes perfect sense. :3

Anyway, on another note, whos hosting?

Level 26
...people who don't understand the concept of synonyms....

This is the same bullshit about "technicalities" that made the tank contest fail. They are close enough to be the same goddamn theme. You dont have to try to defend yourself with such weak points. Just accept it and move on, christ.

its like having to choose between a "reptile" theme and a "lizard" theme. all lizards are reptiles but not all reptiles are lizards. They are the same theme except that one is slightly narrower. just remove the diablo theme and leave dungeons since dungeons(>/=)diablo.

its the same reason we used your "water" theme instead of a "boat" theme.... which is hilariously ironic that you made such a big hissyfit about that and then ended up making a boat anyway.

EDIT:
Yes guys. Cut the off topic, then watch as I continue it. Makes perfect sense. :3
Anyway, on another note, whos hosting?

Iono, im always available. and ive finally got the formula down.

Level 48
Fine, Diablo theme removed, Demon theme added.
I never said I wont make a boat model, I said that if people want to be original, they could also make someting that is not a boat. I didn't get an idea until three days before the end of the contest, and had to make a model real quick, which also adds to why the model is obviously not one of my best.

I asked anarchianbedlam to host this contest earlier. I got dibs on this one. :X
And I meant the image anarchianbedlam posted and Joe-black-5's comment that followed it. The theme discussion is legitimate in a thread about the next contest's theme.

So you guys haven't answered yet. Are we gonna open up a poll now, or wait for more suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.