• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Icon Contest #14: Theme Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Note: This time, i won't rush.

I was thinking that i'll start a contest, as i rushed Zephyr Contest #14 before.
Here are the themes:

- Key
Contestants create icons that represents a key. It must be creative. Example like Sun Key.

- Seven Deadly Sins
You are required to draw four of out seven deadly sins (gluttony, lust, wrath, greed, pride, sloth and envy) - and you can draw them either in the form of abilities, or items. Note that whichever option you go for, the icon must represent the selected sin well and clearly (i.e.: a simple drawing of a bed for the sloth sin will not score well, but a frenzy-alike mad ability to represent wrath - that's the right way)

- Human Senses
You are required to draw four of out five human senses, and represent them in a form of abilities. The senses are: sight, hearing, taste, smell and touch. Not all four chosen senses have to be related with each other - you can draw the sight for an elven archer, and then do the hearing for an undead ghoul.

- Upgrades and Tech
A semi-wildcard theme, where you will be required to draw a minimum of four icons, but you can draw as much as you want. This theme features the classical upgrades; the three levels for offense and defense, the two levels for casters, and any other miscellaneous tech upgrades. Of course, you can do the two attack and four caster upgrades if you desire.

- Hunter's Call
This theme requires you to draw icons of abilities that are related to hunters and that expertise. Tracking a unit, finding the weak points, sprinting, scavenging slain creatures for loot and invisibility will all do - be creative!

- Blizzard Icons
Basically a character of the Blizzard franchises, like Kerrigan, Tyrael or Chen. Choose your character wisely.

- Popular Culture Characters: contestants are required to pick one famous character (from movies, cartoons, music, jet set...) or movie or anything that has to do with mass culture and make an icon or icon set based on it. It is optimally both restrictive and creative.

- Science-Fiction Alternative Icons
Make icons that is science fiction / science fantasy / futuristic alternatives to warcraft 3 icons.

- Modern Alternative Icons
Make icons that is modern alternatives to warcraft 3 icons.

- Horror Character Icons
Imagine a horror character as a warcraft 3 hero, make icons fitting that character. The character cannot be of your creation. (Frankenstein, Dracula, Cthulhu, Pinhead, Jason Voorhees, ect.)

- Movement
Create icons related to movement. You can imagine like the boots of quel'thalas icon as it's a shoe and other example is boots of speed icon.

- Time
Create icons related to time. It can be a clock or watch or a man looking at a clock.

- Elemental
Create icons related to the elements. You can do like Fire, Water, Earth, Wind.

- Phase/Hologram
Create icons that represents phases or holograms.

Pour your ideas as well! I will add it to the list of themes!

Last edited:
Level 16
Just setting up the deadline of this discussion so it can hopefully end there.

Just delete the deadline.

It's been a day and no one pours yet? I'll not maintaining this discussion 7 days if this happen. Maybe 2 days later I should create a poll.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about a Unit and set of matching abilities and 2 matching items?

For example, a Woodsman with tree chopping, forging, clear cutting and splitting abilities and an ax and a splitting wedge as items.

Of course, there are better heroes but do you get the idea?

I like the set ideas. Even just ability sets. Also, it would be cool to have something go along with the other contests so we have nice sets of things here on the Hive. So what about a Diablo icon contest?

Level 28
Orc spells. Just thought it might be fun. Pick an orc (from original or custom models) and make spells for him.

Footman spells (have we done this? I feel like I've heard it somewhere...)

Giant spells xD? With the concept contest running... Pick a concept (once they are finished) and draw 4 spells for the creature from it.. but I suppose that won't be very warcrafty.

Ancient inspired (Greek, Norse, Egyptian, etc.) No idea on the definition so far, just pouring ideas.

Artifact (think MTG definition - metal creatures, robots, etc. related spells)

Insects (insect related spells, don't have to be coherent with one another I suppose. Just to get more resources for hive and have more freedom)

Demonic (not sure if we've had this but it's always fun)

Cold (Snow, Ice, Blizzard, spells like that. Frosty stuff)

Shields (Create 4 awesome shields. I know this isn't a set and that it's incoherent but come on! That would be awesome to see like so many different shields. 3 participants means 12 new shields!)

Level 50
Idea placing is closed. And tomorrow or two days later i should create a poll.

Total themes: 13
So it won't be overadd.

In honest opinion, 80% of things you listed are boring and the other 20% are cliché. I mean, button command as theme, srsly?
My suggestion to you is to wait more until you close idea suggesting phase. It's better idea to wait a lil bit longer and have an actual creativity contest with good theme than to have the most tiresome competition in the history of this website.

And you didn't even include my idea.

Level 16
In honest opinion, 80% of things you listed are boring and the other 20% are cliché. I mean, button command as theme, srsly?
My suggestion to you is to wait more until you close idea suggesting phase. It's better idea to wait a lil bit longer and have an actual creativity contest with good theme than to have the most tiresome competition in the history of this website.

And you didn't even include my idea.

Should you give explanations for it? And i will add it.
What are the themes is boring? I will delete them if needed.
What is cliché?

-Grendel said:
this is more like: create icons for my project than submit your ideas for an icon contest

What do you mean?

Just near the time i want to create a poll, anyone noticed. I think it's fine. If the 2D Mods are not busy, they will host this contest. Also a time to free the 2D Mods.

Remember, Limit is 13.

Level 50
Should you give explanations for it? And i will add it.
What are the themes is boring? I will delete them if needed.
What is cliché?

Since you insist:
Darkness as theme: would be a legit theme but is a plain and not very innovative idea. In my opinion: a cliché (''overused and betrays a lack of original thought'').

Key as theme: limiting theme to making icon of key is both boring and repressing for creativity. How creativity can be the ''unleashed'' when range of possibilities is so restricted? The resulting icons of such theme are very predictable.

Command Buttons as theme: is ridiculous. Who'd really want to struggle with making command button in aquaman design? It sounds just like a waste of time imo and is not worth being a competition theme.

Seven Deadly Sins as theme: not a bad idea, however very restrictive for theme. I mean, you already can see how the submitted icons would be like and that the only difference would be in how much time the icon maker spent on lighting effects and such. Doesn't sound very creative to me.

Human Senses as theme: not a bad concept, but pretty much the above. Isn't very creative and just a few details in presentation of shading would probably decide the winner.

Upgrades and Tech as theme: it isn't restrictive, but it doesn't sound very fancy to me. It would be kinda boring to make a set of icons which are strongly relying on each others aspects. But idk, maybe it's just me.

Item Sets as theme: this is ok if we were to judge it merely by criteria of creativity possibilities. However, setting item set with no real additional guidelines as theme is as if you had no leitmotif for contest at all. There has to be some extra definition on what icon makers are supposed to make. Without any guide some could make item set of, idk, four parts of the excretory system (which would be legit) and other guy could make four parts of the Tesla coil. How could you complain to any of them not following theme as there is no theme necessity alongside?

Hunter's Call as theme: is a good theme, but for me is a cliche. It is probably one of the first things that come to your mind when you say: ,,wc3 icon''.

Horrifying creatures as theme: this one sounds ok. Not sure how innovative as theme, but definitely would be a legit one.

If you ask me to elaborate on my suggestion: popular culture characters as theme would mean that contestants are required to pick one famous character (from movies, cartoons, music, jet set...) or movie or anything that has to do with mass culture and make an icon or icon set based on it. For me it seems as a cool idea to have things like joker or snoop dog in wc3 style. It is optimally both restrictive and creative.

Why are you in a hurry, AditTechno? Let people give ideas.
It's important for the icon creators to express their opinions about what themes inspire them more and such.
An icon contest can't take place without the icon makers.
Also, you're not the one who decides which themes will be accepted and which not.
We, all, and especially - the icon makers, will agree upon the themes that will make it to the poll.

Level 50
Other icon makers should also express their stance towards listed ideas before deciding to close this thread. Just a few of icon makers even noticed this thread exists, so there should be more time made before closing this.

It's not up to me to decide what themes you will delete. My previous post was merely my own opinion regarding things listed as potential theme. Consensus or general opinion is what is only relevant in here and since we won't get one without any discussion, I suggest you to wait a little bit longer with deadlines and such.

Poll is ok for deciding theme, but argument discussion imo is much more productive.

Science-Fiction Alternative Icons
Make icons that is science fiction / science fantasy / futuristic alternatives to warcraf 3 icons.

Modern Alternative Icons
Make icons that is modern alternatives to warcraf 3 icons.

Horror Character Icons
Imagine a horror character as a warcraft 3 hero, make icons fitting that character. The character cannot be of your creation. (Frankenstein, Dracula, Cthulhu, Pinhead, Jason Voorhees, ect.)

Roland

R

Roland

Horror Character Icons
Imagine a horror character as a warcraft 3 hero, make icons fitting that character. The character cannot be of your creation. (Frankenstein, Dracula, Cthulhu, Pinhead, Jason Vores, ect.)

I prefer this one! :grin: What's with the typo buddy?

Level 28
I'll say my Yes and No to all given themes so far, won't get into much detail as they are a lot (We could just have them all in one poll as is best but apparently people always want to do the poll-ing before actually having a poll... Not pointing at anyone, as I've already argued on this with a few people, I just don't understand what the point of polls is if we cut stuff from before)

Darkness: N
Key: Y
Command Buttons: N
Seven Deadly Sins: N
Human Senses: N
Upgrades and Tech: Y
Item Sets: N
Hunter's Call: N
Gore: N
Unit & Set 2: Y
Animal Instincts: N
Orc Spells: N
Footman Spells: N
Giant Spells: N
Ancient inspired: N
Artifact: Y
Insects: N
Demonic: N
Cold: N
Shields: Y
Culture Characters in War3 Style: N
Sci-Fi Alternative: Y
Modern Alternative: N
Horror Character: N

This is my personal preference. Some I rejected due to their complexity.
On a side note, we don't have many ideas, only from 3-4 people so far.

Level 16
In my opinion, i want to delete:
-Darkness
-Item Sets
-Gore
-Command Buttons

Adding:
Diablo Icons: Create icons from the characters or abilities from the Diablo franchise.

Popular Culture Characters: contestants are required to pick one famous character (from movies, cartoons, music, jet set...) or movie or anything that has to do with mass culture and make an icon or icon set based on it. For me it seems as a cool idea to have things like joker or snoop dog in wc3 style. It is optimally both restrictive and creative.

Science-Fiction Alternative Icons
Make icons that is science fiction / science fantasy / futuristic alternatives to warcraf 3 icons.

Modern Alternative Icons
Make icons that is modern alternatives to warcraft 3 icons.

Horror Character Icons

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I second the Artifact theme, I like the mysterious atmosphere around it.

What about Blizzard Character ?
Basically a character of the Blizzard franchises, like Kerrigan, Tyrael or Chen, you know,
anyone you can imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.