• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Competition #9 - Flying Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your computers are strong, they will manage.

You obviously know nothing about wc3 engine, it has a poly CAP, it can occur that there are TOO MANY POLIES evein in MELEE games. Also, you didn't exactly add DETAIL, it is just SMOOTH, and armor plates are SPAMMED. You need to optimize that thing. I could do the same thing with up to 800 triangles with no problem.

Level 26
I just started with the model and this is what I got so far (I know that it doesn´t rly look like a flying unit atm^^)

attachment.php

1848987125_f6a9e1d5cc.jpg

Attachments

• FlyingUnitWip1.JPG
    FlyingUnitWip1.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 442
Level 26
I had some free time today and was able to finish the Orc.

All I have to do now is changing the shoulder plate, adding wings,a skeleton and animations and maybe I´ll add some more stuff

Attachments

• FlyingUnitWip2.JPG
    FlyingUnitWip2.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 307
Level 45
I don't think it is so high... only 1936 polys with the armor. Something around 1000 without the armor, but don't even think of try asking me to remove it. Your computers are strong, they will manage.

Wrong, the models must have efficient polygon amount for the ENGINE, not for peoples computers.
However yours is still acceptable, BUT VERY UNNECCESARY and not professional at all.

Level 13
my wip, still not really sure this will look ok...looks good on paper but...Ill need to see it skinned.
Its a building that can morph into a flying(floating) unit, I wonder if that works with the war3 engine, I imagine using a night elf building as base, I guess it will work ingame.
Btw this fits with theme right?

btw those things aroung it, make it look like that xelnaga temple from starcraft...Ill modify them later.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 305
Another WIP from me.

- Wrap is more accurate.
- Welded some vertices on the back to avoid the fugly weigh animation the original gargoyle has.
- Head added (used Skeletal Orc texture because the unwrap has more freedom than the head part of the Felguard texture)
- Yeah, I know it doesn't look like the mephits from DnD based games. I felt like giving it a style of my own.

To-do list:
- Add particles on the eyes.
- Remove some useless bones.
- When finished, I'll make an Ice Mephit (and maybe Venom Mephit and Earth Mephit)

attachment.php

Attachments

• Fire_Mephit_WIP2.jpg
    Fire_Mephit_WIP2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 423
Level 45
DvO, you should try adding some alpha-ed planes to the bottom of his body, right now it's far too straight. TDR hid this on his model by having really dark particles.

argh...jigrael's in! I'm so tempted to enter right now...but I have a more important contest to work for.

The lack of importance makes this contest more appealing to you. :p

DvO, you could make use of the Meat Wagon texture. It has alpha on the blood of the missile but it's relatively the same colour as your mephit.

Yes, but it would be a problem when I'm going to make an Ice version (since there is no blue version of the blood texture), so the skirt will stay.

Though I actually did a version with a red tinted hula-like skirt to match with the body.
It's either that, or the dragon texture skirt.
attachment.php

Attachments

• hghgvwv.jpg
    hghgvwv.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 296
Status
Not open for further replies.