• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Competition #5 - Neutral Structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

modelingcompetition.gif

Modeling Competition #5

Deadline: 31st of August 2007 (0:00 AM, GMT) - with possible extension. Winner(s) will be decided by the final votes of a public poll.

For this contest you will have to create your very own neutral structure.
Idea initially from Whitehorn.

It's simple this time, no animations are required, in theory.

Models would require, of course:
  • Stand animation
  • Proper portrait camera
  • Use of in game textures

That's it. You are required to make at least one neutral structure (doodad) however one may also make as many extra doodads that fit with the structure as they wish, as long as the extras also follow the requirements and rules.

Just wanted to elaborate that the structure could be referred to as a unit (rather than doodad) if you're eager enough to make animations or build a concept that fits amongst the neutral structures (such as Merc camp, fountain, shops, etc).

So, more ideas to flow from that.. new merc camps, new shops, new passive bonus structres, fortifications? etc.

These extra doodads, along with the required structure, all make up your single submission, and all will be taken into account when voting begins.

Rules and Guidelines:

• Follow requirements above.
  • You may enter more than one model, but all together they count as one submission.
  • You have to make sure the model(s) is fully and correctly functional in-game.
  • The model must be textured using in-game textures and be correctly pathed to use them without importing the used textures.
  • You must post at least 1 WIP preview before the deadline.
  • To qualify for entry, you must post your model(s) in .mdx format, and an in-game screenshot of the model.
  • You must post your entry before the deadline expires.
  • You must make the model for this competition. Which means that you cannot use old works.

Prizes:
The winner will receive +75 Reputation Points and a Special Award Icon.
Second place will receive +50 Reputation Points.
Third place will receive + 25 Reputation Points.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 15
Just wanted to elaborate that the structure could be referred to as a unit (rather than doodad) if you're eager enough to make animations or build a concept that fits amongst the neutral structures (such as Merc camp, fountain, shops, etc).

So, more ideas to flow from that.. new merc camps, new shops, new passive bonus structres, fortifications? etc.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Good idea, I'll add this to the first post.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

hmmmmz. Is mdl editing and vertex modify (mabye a little geomerge) allowed or is this strict scratch modeling?

Sure, it's the end result that matters. Just make sure that you follow the requirements.

Level 7
Ohhhh ingame textures? They... erm... suck!

But let's see what I can do with the Blizz Cathedral texture (originally I wanted to make it in a challenge, but it failed).

So... Building? I'm surely in! I'll "tune-up" the Cathedral doodad.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Wow RDZ, nice one. Looks kind of pandaren, I don't know, maybe that was the direction you were headed.

Level 32
...can I use the skins that are used on them to keep them sort of in series...
According to Chriz.:
Models would require, of course:
  • Use of in game textures

Rules and Guidelines:

• The model must be textured using in-game textures and be correctly pathed to use them without importing the used textures.

Level 45
Rules and Guidelines:
  • You may enter more than one model, but all together they count as one submission.
  • You have to make sure the model(s) is fully and correctly functional in-game.
  • You must post at least 1 WIP preview before the deadline.
  • To qualify for entry, you must post your model(s) in .mdx format, and an in-game screenshot of the model.
  • You must post your entry before the deadline expires.
  • You must make the model for this competition. Which means that you cannot use old works.
Umm... general, i just realized =/

edit: more of mine. gonna have fire at top thingy

Attachments

• wip2.jpg
    wip2.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Level 45
Okay, I may possibly be finished now, depends if i can be bothered.

Now i just have to convert and optimize them for wc3. Since there is plenty of time I may add more to the pack if i get anymore ideas.

PS: oh yes i forgot, the fire cup and the top of the citadel WILL have fire coming from it at the top if i can get it working. (mago's model editor and oinkerwinkle's particle adder get buggy for me and crash/corrupt my models =/)

EDIT: Fixed up the stretched unwrap issue on the middle of the citadel.

If you have any suggestions or such about these models or any ideas I'd love to hear them : D

Attachments

• show1update.jpg
    show1update.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 302
The tinker robot texture has some good metal parts.

From personal experience with a goblin nuclear reactor, I'd suggest using the tinker factory textures, and a mix of tinker/robot texture. And how is a nuclear reactor a neutral building?

Since I'm basically only good with particles I was thinking of a structure completly made out of particles... Now what could I do with that...

Level 12
Looking really good wulf, you work really fast. You could make a whole techtree of buildings out of those. I am really liking the style of combonation of skins you are using.

General Frank you could just make a new base, it wouldn't take very long at all.

Level 21
Watermill

Here it is. I'll probably make more doodads/buildings to enter into this competition (which I'll add into this post for the convenience of Chriz. :p), but they won't revolve around any kind of direct theme. That bush the size of the latrine/outhouse is uber sechsy (I forgot to scale it down XD)

And yes, I know the model size is small. That's why they invented "scaling" :p

K, here's my second one. It's supposed to be a wrecked outpost. I'll add a light to the light post on it later. I'll also probably make a separate canvas for the top

Attachments

• WatermillFix.mdx
    54.6 KB · Views: 179
  • WatermillSS.jpg
    WatermillSS.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 722
  • WreckedOutpost1.mdx
    24.4 KB · Views: 116
  • WreckedOutpostSS.jpg
    WreckedOutpostSS.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 683
Last edited: