• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Competition #5 - Neutral Structure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
Yes a little more poly count wont kill the WE or the map, now if its a rediculous amount of polies in useless places and a Doom3's bucket of graphics and other such things NOW THAT would be way too far. All and all I think that for a building higher polies than normal, (not over doing it) would be fine. same goes for units, a small to medium margin of more polies wont hurt us.

Level 11
Even so, it's a large cathedral building, and you'd probly only have one or so in a given map. Plus, lots of buildings are aroung that, and many units too. 1500 is pretty low to me. Over 2000 and its pushing it but it fits fine atm.

EDIT: Here's the first work on my entry. I'll be making futuristic city stuff, mostly Starcraft/Star Wars based. Here's a big tower building.

Attachments

• terrantower1.JPG
    terrantower1.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Level 7
I CARE about the poly number, I usually spend a lot of time on reducing the polycount as much as possible. But aesthetics and the power of the shapes, are always above polycount for me.

On: Retextured almost all the faces on my cathedral... and added 8 more towers... but finalized it. 2490 faces.

cotf.jpg

The shape of the roofs and the towers, the color of the cupolas and the roofs are symbolizing the forest - the home of the Elves. Also, the textures, I think, make it look Elven. So I named it "Cathedral of the Forest".

And I changed my mind about the extra doodads and started to make some.
First, here is a fence piece:

cfence.jpg

(as you can see I'm mapping it atm)

PS.: No ideas about my question in my previous post?

Level 13
nice job Elenai, would be nice with a few larger spires/towers on the outer fence. Other than that i cant imagine how i would improve it keep it up !

Katu: beautiful. This is going to work out fine right, not like the other few...

Edit: just thought of something, add an entrance :D also: woud be nice with a nice big tower in the middle area there.

Level 11
Heres a few more. The last one is Proudmoore edited to be Mengsk in the holographs and stuff in a few pictures of Terran worlds in SC2. What type of material is the semi-transparent/glowy one again though?

Attachments

• terrantower2.JPG
    terrantower2.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 142
  • terrantower3.JPG
    terrantower3.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 102
  • terrantower4.JPG
    terrantower4.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 123
  • mengsk1.JPG
    mengsk1.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 210
Level 11
The cathedral and a few village textures mostly. May work in some from the Dungeon tileset or goblin stuff where needed. Here's another skyscraper. I'll try and find a good picture of the artwork I'm basing most on, it's a concept art thing for Korhal. I have it as my desktop but I don't know how to hide icons :p

Attachments

• terrantower5.JPG
    terrantower5.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 169
Level 19
Hah, the Sagrada Familia is not yet finished Katu, and it is brown not green. Also it isn't very wide, just tall. And it has towers with fruit statues on top of them. Not only that, but it has thousands of statues of Jesus Christ. I've stood there, climbed up it's 3000 stairs, and payed the 40$ admission fee, I know this stuff.

Level 7
Hah, the Sagrada Familia is not yet finished Katu, and it is brown not green. Also it isn't very wide, just tall. And it has towers with fruit statues on top of them. Not only that, but it has thousands of statues of Jesus Christ. I've stood there, climbed up it's 3000 stairs, and payed the 40$ admission fee, I know this stuff.

Did I wrote that my model "is" the Sagrada Familia? I just wanted to make something that reminds me of it. I ALSO know these stuff you mentioned. You know, I wanna be an architect one day... only because I've seen that temple (not cathedral, hah)

One more note: Someone modeled the full Sagrada Familia, and it was 35 million polies, not 2490.

Level 11
Here's the first one of mine done, provided I don't opt for animations. It uses the Power Generator and Cathedral textures. And I got a pic of what I pased it on now.

And Just_Spectating, there's a stone-textured naga skin on one of the naga building's textures, you might want to use that instead of the current one you have on it from the seahorse statue.

Attachments

• mengskstower.jpg
    mengskstower.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 262
  • korhal1.jpg
    korhal1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 251
Level 11
Update. 2 models down, also I decided to make the tower use just one skin, which do u think's better guys? This version or the older one?

EDIT: And another, albeit small model. This is a track piece for a monorail. I'm also making a station for it, and maybe a train, though I dunno how you'd get it to go down the rails. :p

Attachments

• terrandoodads.JPG
    terrandoodads.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 262
  • terrandoodads2.JPG
    terrandoodads2.JPG
    3.5 KB · Views: 210
Level 35
WAIT is that skin custom or is it a naga building skin?.....cause if it is custom you are not allowed to use custom skins.

Xatoga...You might be able to make a train go down the rail if you set the rail to a walkable destructable and make the train a wandering critter and set it to run on the rail. or you could use the invisible walkable pathing blocks on the rail.

Level 19
@Just_Spectating
I like your naga statue, the water vase and the idea of that lantern but it looks a bit strange maybe from that angle. Also there's nothing special in the wall I can just rotate the normal naga circle to do that. I think I would like to use your naga, water and lantern in my campaign so keep it up and I'll look forward to test them. Also for Outland I will find Werewulf models useful.

Katu those grey circle thing at the top of your church look strange and I don't like that skin either.

Level 31
Xatoga, that stuff is freaking awsome. I really wanna make some dysotopian, SciFi map now.

Been a while since I posted. So here,I got some new stuff.

Three new WoW inspired doodads. I've really been playing to much lately.

First is a Human Church, second is one of those Giant Tuskarr head Statues seen in the new Wrath of the Lichking concept art, and the third, which I'm not sure is aloud, is a Orc Wagon, like the kind you see all around in Orc controled lands.

For the Church I'm contimplating whether or not to Color the roof, and even so which color I should use.

Attachments

• Contest4Wip.jpg
    Contest4Wip.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 201
  • Contest5Wip.jpg
    Contest5Wip.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 212
  • Contest6Wip.jpg
    Contest6Wip.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 208
I diss the Kodo logo:ed Food Restaurant and resigned to make some kind of a Demon King Statue structure with pillars. It might have various usefulness.
Model 100% made in scratch.

Demon body polycount: 334
Polycount per pillars: 120
Total polycount: 934

I have one question, should the demon statue have wings or spikes on it's back?

Here's a WIP of it. The demon body will have some dark effects when exported from 3DS Max.

Attachments

• demonkingstatue.jpg
    demonkingstatue.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 222
Status
Not open for further replies.