• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini Mapping Contest #16 - Mini RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
In case we are not too late (I contacted the Host of the Contest if that's the case or not) I would like to shove this into the contest: Visions of Stratholm. Finished it yesterday and uploaded already. All the Credits go to Imago_ alone. Simply because I helped him, yet more with background tasks like the visuals, bug testing, music search, and so on. The actual work of creating terrain, triggers and simply everything was made by Imago_. WIPs and Copys of the Map State before finishing are still available in case they are needed. Best regards.

In case we are not too late (I contacted the Host of the Contest if that's the case or not) I would like to shove this into the contest: Visions of Stratholm. Finished it yesterday and uploaded already. All the Credits go to Imago_ alone. Simply because I helped him, yet more with background tasks like the visuals, bug testing, music search, and so on. The actual work of creating terrain, triggers and simply everything was made by Imago_. WIPs and Copys of the Map State before finishing are still available in case they are needed. Best regards.
As I said in the PM, I need to consult with the judges / moderators as no WIPs at all has been posted, or any indication was given whatsoever that any of you were participating. Three WIPs was supposed to be posted in this thread before release.

Also, why isn't @Imago_ posting this if he did all the work? Please post three WIP's attached to this thread.

@Heinvers what do you say?

Other than that I don't mind if you participate. Looks like a solid map :p

Level 14
I'm used to let Lockheart do the communication since... like ever. It's not supposed to be offending, yet I rarely can spare any time for this kind of tasks. On top, Lockheart and I are used to handle it this way and it worked fine so far. It's certainly fine to wait for yours decision but it'd be great if I still can participate since this was the reason to create this map in the first place. I hope I didn't forget anything else important as I didn't intend to violate the rules in any way.

To be honest the map isn't done by 110%
. There are still very minor bugs that I'm going to fix. Yet it's certainly playable until the very end so far. Most player shouldn't notice anything big out of the order. In any case, best luck to all participants!

Attachments

• garden.PNG
    garden.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 119
  • mostimportant.PNG
    mostimportant.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 126
  • trigger.PNG
    trigger.PNG
    351.8 KB · Views: 106
  • villagemain.PNG
    villagemain.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 131
  • soulchamber.PNG
    soulchamber.PNG
    776.5 KB · Views: 95
I'm used to let Lockheart do the communication since... like ever. It's not supposed to be offending, yet I rarely can spare any time for this kind of tasks. On top, Lockheart and I are used to handle it this way and it worked fine so far. It's certainly fine to wait for yours decision but it'd be great if I still can participate since this was the reason to create this map in the first place. I hope I didn't forget anything else important as I didn't intend to violate the rules in any way.

To be honest the map isn't done by 110%
. There are still very minor bugs that I'm going to fix. Yet it's certainly playable until the very end so far. Most player shouldn't notice anything big out of the order. In any case, best luck to all participants!
I have no problems with it personally, let's wait and see the moderators answer. This is the first contest I am hosting, so I'm not sure how strictly the rules are enforced.

Your map looks good from a visual perspective. I haven't tried it yet as I'm currently trying to invest as much time as I can into developing my own, but I will test all submissions once I'm done with my own / they are posted.

EDIT: Also you didn't write "Entry for the 16th Mini Mapping contest" in your map thread, please do that :p

The new patch is bad news guys.... My map looks really shitty after updating.

Omnilights, a lot of textures, terrain glow, and other things looks really weird.

Here's just some of the shit that went to hell;
Screenshot - Omnilights are messed up (blue light).
Screenshot - Spider webs are too thick, and not kind of transparent like they were before.
Screenshot - A light ray model that I used looks absolutely horrible...
Screenshot - Normal terrain glow is no longer transparent like it used to be.

This is a huge deal for me as I use a lot of these, and I have no way of reverting to 1.31 :(

Fuck Blizzard.

Level 51
I don't think they will fix it as (don't quote me on it) it is a result of using the new graphics engine for Reforged in classic. One can only hope though.

This. As I feared it would happen. Fixing something that's not broken was the first problem to begin with.

Can't blame the classic team though, not fully at least. Money grabbing activision pricks instead.

I need to adjust the cinematic a bit since Reforged came out today, but I still need another WIP so here is our protagonist in a new skin I made for him, with a large tree creature flabbergasted by his glory. Obviously not saying its that amazing lol, but it'll probably more exciting to see the cinematic in game anyway.

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-29_1-38-14.png
    upload_2020-1-29_1-38-14.png
    10.1 MB · Views: 79
@FeelsGoodMan "Normal terrain glow is no longer transparent like it used to be." Wait are you using an alpha tile, if so, is that shot from reforged? I can't manage to make Alpha Terrain in reforged.
Nope, that screenshot is from classic. They changed the rendering in classic to the same as they used in Reforged, which makes a lot of effects look really bad. I can send you some screenshots as comparison.

Here they are next to each other:

Screenshot (New) - Screenshot (Old)

Last edited:
Level 21
Well, to quote Russell Buffalino.

My recommendation would be this: don't make any drastic changes to your map, at least not without a backup. If we're lucky, we'll see them fix some stuff eventually, further down the line.

I've been able to correct some of the errors that I mentioned earlier:
- Regarding the black box centered at the bottom the screen, I used the custom script mentioned at the bottom of Tasyen's post (@lolreported I saw that you had this too).
- There were instances where the sound for certain special effects would not play naturally, so I just made them play through triggers.
- Regarding the colored boxes and missing textures in some special effects, I solved it by opening the model in Warcraft 3 Viewer and then extracted the used textures (which I then imported into the map).

EDIT
: I also noticed that the camera doesn't center on your hero if you "lock it" with offset 0,0 - like in classic. I had to use offset 0,200 to center my hero like before.

@Veronnis If I may ask, how did you go about reskinning the reforged model? :) Like how did you extract the file and which program did you use?

Last edited:
- Regarding the colored boxes and missing textures in some special effects, I solved it by opening the model in Warcraft 3 Viewer and then extracted the used textures (which I then imported into the map).
This is a really good idea, didn't even think about that! Will try it as soon as I get back from work!

Level 19
- Regarding the black box centered at the bottom the screen, I used the custom script mentioned at the bottom of Tasyen's post (@lolreported I saw that you had this too).
Thanks, that only solved the inventory cover texture though, I still have the black box.

At first glance it seems that my map is kinda fine still, except it looks different as many already has reported the in-game graphics are altered from classic. Some minor issues was expected and should be fixable rather easily. But as reported before my UI is completely broken with the new update. Will probably take a lot of time to stitch it back together and learn what's currently wrong.

Hopefully you all can recover from any issues Reforged brought.

EDIT: UI fixed thanks to @Tasyen's post in (SOLVED) Hiding UI issues with Reforged (Black bar when hiding UI).

Last edited:
Level 19
Got some bad news. This is the first day since Reforged I had the time to continue mapping and I discovered that as soon as I click on the Doodads tab in the Object Editor my entire World Editor crashes.

I've not finished my terrain yet and unless someone has a fix I guess my participation is over and several hours wasted.

Got some bad news. This is the first day since Reforged I had the time to continue mapping and I discovered that as soon as I click on the Doodads tab in the Object Editor my entire World Editor crashes.

I've not finished my terrain yet and unless someone has a fix I guess my participation is over and several hours wasted.
I have downloaded 1.31 and will continue development in an older version. I suggest you do the same as the newest version is utter shit. Hopefully that works and won't crash your map in the editor. In any case, you can send me your map if you want then I can check if it opens for you.

Level 18

You could download 1.31.1 PTR (read this) and continue mapping there.

Level 19
I have downloaded 1.31 and will continue development in an older version. I suggest you do the same as the newest version is utter shit. Hopefully that works and won't crash your map in the editor. In any case, you can send me your map if you want then I can check if it opens for you.
You could download 1.31.1 PTR (read this) and continue mapping there.
Thanks, I'll check it out, but I doubt a map saved with 1.32 can be opened with an older version of World Editor. My last backup saved with 1.31 is roughly a week old.

I've created a thread and attached the map [Crash] - Clicking the doodads-tab in Object Editor crashes World Editor. I've deleted everything in the map and the issue is still present.

EDIT: Can confirm that my current version saved in version 1.32 can't be opened in the 1.31.1 PTR, but that was expected. My backup can be opened though, but currently I'm not really motivated enough to redo hours of work. I'll wait for some answers in my thread regarding the crash.

Last edited:
Level 18
Don't map on PTRs. They are very unstable and might break compatibility with non-PTR patches.
Do you have examples of PTR not being compatible with release version? Only thing I can think of was when they added new natives in the PTR, then on release they started putting Blz in front of everything.
Besides, maps made on 1.32 will not be compatible with 1.31 either, which is where I have taken refuge from reforged ^^

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Do you have examples of PTR not being compatible with release version? Only thing I can think of was when they added new natives in the PTR, then on release they started putting Blz in front of everything.
Besides, maps made on 1.32 will not be compatible with 1.31 either, which is where I have taken refuge from reforged ^^
I don't have any examples to show now. But I do remember people posting about it that they could not open their maps in 1.31.1 on release because they saved them with the PTR 1.31.

Done with bossfight 1,2,4 and almost 3. Done with cinematic 1,2,3 and 4 (still missing 5).

What remains;

Item system.
Trash mobs and trash mob AI.
Buff icons and descriptions.
Voice acting.

Hopefully I will be able to complete all this before the deadline. I am going away the next two weekends so a lot of quality development time will be lost, so I have to do it in the weekdays.

Edy

Edy

Level 9
Done with bossfight 1,2,4 and almost 3. Done with cinematic 1,2,3 and 4 (still missing 5).

What remains;

Item system.
Trash mobs and trash mob AI.
Buff icons and descriptions.
Voice acting.

Hopefully I will be able to complete all this before the deadline. I am going away the next two weekends so a lot of quality development time will be lost, so I have to do it in the weekdays.

Good job so far, I like the WIPs - Voice acting?? oh my.

Level 11
Sorry guys, but I have to renounce this contest. I lost all my interest on my map, and even with that, I don't have enough time. I'll store the map, and maybe I'll upload it in a future.

Reactions: Edy

Edy

Edy

Level 9
Sorry guys, but I have to renounce this contest. I lost all my interest on my map, and even with that, I don't have enough time. I'll store the map, and maybe I'll upload it in a future.
Sad to hear it, maybe you can upload the unfinished version here.
Whatever you choose, good luck. :)

I have a question. Can I participate in the contest if I make my map using the older version? (1.27b)
I think as long as the judges are able to play your map that's fine.

I would like to join the contest. I also have a first WIP picture.

View attachment 346120

It is made in reforged, and I am almost finished the first 2 abilities.
I will add your entry to the WIP's shortly!

I will also be withdrawing from the contest. Reforged's treacherous release really dampened my spirit and I'm probably going to go learn Unity now, I'll still check around here frequently though. Good luck to the other contestants!

I'm still working on my map as well! I was planning on posting another WIP image tomorrow maybe, or the day after.
Awesome!
What is the possibilty of a teeny-tiny extension? :) I feel like I've lost so much time repairing stuff and searching for workarounds with each patch. It's all good now though
Yeah I have lost considerable amounts of time too so I have actually been trying to contact @Heinvers to ask for 1 or 2 extra weeks.

Sure. You have it.
Thanks!

@Imago_ You have been permitted to participate in the contest. Rejoice and prosper! :D

I will add your WIPs and entry to the entries post shortly.

--

Also the official conclusion date has been updated to the 1st of March. This will be updated in the main post.

Status
Not open for further replies.