• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-Game Mapping Contest #3 - Minicraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a little explanation of my concept:
-Mini RPG

The princess has been kidnapped by a dragon, oh no!
You, the nameless, mute, protagonist must rescue her, but first you must conquer the 3 dungeons of evil badness set up by the dragon (the forest of pain, the mountain of pain and the ocean of pain) to stop you, defeating the bosses who hold the keys to the unlock the gate of darkness into the dragons fortress of pain in mount doom.

Basically this:
-You start out in the town in the center after choosing a hero type (probably at max 3, of the most cliche variety of course). In the 3 sides around the center there are simple mazes set up with a boss corridor that's been locked. You have to hunt through the mazes for the key to the gate (held by a random creep within the maze) to beat the boss, for an additional key to the final level.
-All battles are turn based with a few simple commands:
--Attack
--Potion
--Spell (possibly)
What they do is self explanatory

-While in theory you could rush to the boss if the first creep drops the key, it's not wise as you have to level to fight it (first boss should be level 10, second 20, third 30). Leveling goes by fairly quickly, I'm thinking of making every creep level you.

-You can go about the dungeons in whatever way you like, if you beat one the others just get stronger.

-Once you get all the keys, you unlock the door to fight the final boss

-All in all, creep battles should only take a few seconds. Bosses should take about anywhere from 30 to a minute (maybe longer) with the final boss lasting at most 5 minutes.

The idea is to beat the game as fast as possible.
Items will be in the center, but they will be very simple state boosters and health replenishers. I don't want to make a too in depth ability system, so all skills will be passive.

Level 4
OK guys i post my concept now :) WIP soon

Warcraft 3 Football
Two teams of 4 players(multiplayer map) play. You can choose from four types of "heroes"
- Forward
- Midfieler
- Defender
- GoalKeeper

With every goal you scored whole your time get some exp. AS you are leveling up you get more points which you can spend for attributes: Speed, Strength. Fitness/vitality.

More strength makes your shots more powerfull, fitness gives you more energy to play and speed is speed :D.

Features:
- sounds like when you are playing football :)
- offsides, corners(probably)

So my map will be some multiplayer map about skill and team play :). I dont know if exist something like this i hope no, this is my idea. I look forward to read you opinions about this guys :)

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
You know the site does have a pastebin correct?

Yes, thank you :) It's been pointed out many times in this thread already.

I find it faster to host something on willhost.it and link to it than play with post attachments or pastebin. willhost.it also has no time limit so I have no worries about the files being removed.

People do create accounts, do nothing with them and suddenly come back - it's not exactly a safe assumption to just go by join date

Exactly my case :)
I created my account 2 years ago when I was a lone map-maker working on a TD that
turned out to be an EPIC FAIL (The towers can move and I used "Do Nothing" between EVERY action lol)

Anyway, I wanted to tell you guys that I'm dropping myself from this contest (My map is going to need way more time than I expected)

I currently have some Driving functions to tweak, some "Wrong Way" detectors to fix ...

I have to create the following:
-A lap system that doesn't let you win by going the wrong way
-A "Unit Image on Minimap System" (which just involves deleting the UI and using an image in it's place so you can overlap it with the unit's image on the minimap)
-A vehicle sound system
-A restart/reset game option (For voting)
-A missile system to implement for some abilities
-A super-speed bonus system that creates an Acceleration effect for the player
-A camera system

This project would take me weeks to conjure!
I'm afraid I'm going to have to give up on making it for this contest.

Why you ask?
-It's obviously going to exceed 2 MB
-I can't finish it before the deadline.

Sorry :(

Level 12

Heh?

Anyway, here's part of the terrain for my map.

wip1gd.png

wip2.png

wip3.png

(Useless, I know, just needed to post some kind of wip.)

TDA

TDA

Level 4
I'm Afraid I might end up just like Magtheridon96

I have this tendency of being way better at begining maps than I am finishing them.

And With this View attachment Knight Race Alpha 3.w3x Piece of work done, I'm just sickened
at the tought of 48 hour's worth of Teraining that has yet to be started hanging over my head, togather with massive copy-pastery of all the triggers wich are not guy, and turning them over there head inorder to make them work for all players

I'm not anouncing my resignation, but If anyone likes my concept, I'm willing to give it to someone else to finish, and post it on Hive like it was theres, with me at the top of the Credits ofcource.

Ofcource if this happened, The map wouldent be elegebel for the competition anymore, But I Wouldent mind.

Right now I'm just -- Like I stated earlyer -- Borred

TDA

TDA

Level 4
Yeah, but I also get borred easely, Cause If I would re-begin work on this map, say... 5 months from now, I would make another leap forward.

But that aint likely to happen now.

Also:

I saw some guy post the stupidist Image wip ever!

Dude I could take a harmless Printscreen of Dota, post it here, and then post Dota as my minigame the way that you did.

Seryously, Don't just printscreen a part of your map and pretend it's a wip
Cause I could get a picture like yours of google
And it would pose no real challange.

Case and point: This image
http://gamona-images.de/2717/overlay,$57372$,0,0,top-left/88ae7f441549fcfaccd5ce0b57de76de.jpg

Make no misstake, I just got that of google

Lich Prince I think...

Oh well...

Last edited:
Level 12
I saw some guy post the stupidist Image wip ever!

Dude I could take a harmless Printscreen of Dota, post it here, and then post Dota as my minigame the way that you did.

Seryously, Don't just printscreen a part of your map and pretend it's a wip
Cause I could get a picture like yours of google
And it would pose no real challange.

Case and point: This image
http://gamona-images.de/2717/overlay,$57372$,0,0,top-left/88ae7f441549fcfaccd5ce0b57de76de.jpg

Make no misstake, I just got that of google

Lich Prince I think...

Oh well...

Son, I seriously didn't understand a word of what you just said...

Do you want me to upload the map? Is that it?

EDIT: Okay, I've studied the situation, and when I said "part of the terrain" one post earlier, I meant that it wasn't the whole terrain I intend to make, not that it's the only part I'm posting screens of.

It's basically a wip of my map's terrain for the map. And no, posting a map without any triggers, units, etc.. and a part of terrain isn't a very smart idea.

im in, have been working on this map about a year now. But where do i post it? (my first time)

I checked it out.
It's heavily bugged.
You're using GUI (only)
You're spells aren't MUI
You're using waaaaaaaaaay too many special effects, so gameplay is impossible (too much lag)
You have sooooo many leaks.

I think with some hard work and more effort, you can improve that map.

You're using GUI (only)

As long as it's executed well, then GUI is fine

@Fire

Going off his message it seems like you're leaking points
To fix this, when you need to reference a point (like target point of casted spell or position of entering unit, etc. etc.), create a location Variable and set that to the point you want to use.

Then when you're done with the point, use this line of custom code

call RemoveLocation(udg_VARIABLE_NAME_HERE)

Do that and you can avoid a lot of leaks and unnecessary lag

Level 20
Here's my WIP.
It's a very early WIP and i'm not sure i'll be able to finish before the deadline; didn't have much time due to school though the Easter holiday has started so i'll have some time.
Oh well, enjoy some tank drift :p
(Press ESC to summon a tank, use arrow keys to move. Also you may order the turret dummy (circle of power) to move to change the tank barrel angle. the tank is supposed to be controlled by 2 players; one for movement and other for barrel)

Attachments

• Tank Clash.w3x
    108.3 KB · Views: 56
Level 14
Here's my WIP.
It's a very early WIP and i'm not sure i'll be able to finish before the deadline; didn't have much time due to school though the Easter holiday has started so i'll have some time.
(Press ESC to summon a tank, use arrow keys to move. Also you may order the turret dummy (circle of power) to move to change the tank barrel angle. the tank is supposed to be controlled by 2 players; one for movement and other for barrel)
Hehe...

One Problem: You can drive off the map. lol

Other than that looking good.

TDA

TDA

Level 4
OMG I love the Driving sistem!

It's What I always waned to be able to do! (Why dosen't Azeroth Gramprix have drifting in it?)

You could make a race map to rival NFS 2 with Drifting like that

Looking forward to the final map.

Last edited:
Level 22
Here's my WIP.

Cool, the tank barrel system is cool too.
And the drift, is awesome!

TDA

TDA

Level 4
I think there is a way to make 1 player be able to drive the entire tank if you like

Make 2 Defend like abilities with Hotkeys QW

If the player Activates Q, then the barel goes Anti-Colckwise, and if the player activates W the barel gose Clockwise

If player activates Q while W is on, then W will be turned of (Ofcource) and the opuset

Then you can have Shoot abilityes With hotkeys R ; T ; F ; G

The only thing I don't now how you could fix, is how to control the distance you fire at (Maby somehow with the same concept, using Hotkeys E ; D.)

If you go like that, you may also want to show the player Where the tank is going to shoot with a dummy Unit Wich looks like an Aura

I'm Just saying...

Level 20
I think there is a way to make 1 player be able to drive the entire tank if you like

Make 2 Defend like abilities with Hotkeys QW

If the player Activates Q, then the barel goes Anti-Colckwise, and if the player activates W the barel gose Clockwise

If player activates Q while W is on, then W will be turned of (Ofcource) and the opuset

Then you can have Shoot abilityes With hotkeys R ; T ; F ; G

The only thing I don't now how you could fix, is how to control the distance you fire at (Maby somehow with the same concept, using Hotkeys E ; D.)

If you go like that, you may also want to show the player Where the tank is going to shoot with a dummy Unit Wich looks like an Aura

I'm Just saying...
But i want 2 players to control it ;D
It's going to be a team game, one drives other shoots.

Level 28
Does your map revolve around a central theme? does any story elements fit in place?

It needs a central theme with story elements that fit.

That is not creativity.
But obviously points will be subtracted if you just remade a classic game, as that concept has already been done a million times before.
At least: I will subtract points for that.

However, if you manage to recreate such a classic game with a new twist, then you might have a good concept.

So yeah, you don't have to be very creative: just don't do what others have done many times before, otherwise you won't get a lot of concept points from me.

Level 17
I was just thinking about that, to create a new concept game, with different elements and such, it would take some creativity. Like you said, a pac-man game.... yeah not that great of a concept because you didnt think of it, But how about a reversal, your the ghosts and your trying to defend your gold balls from evil creatures (pac-men) thatll be an interesting game lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.