1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Altered Melee] Medieval Strategy Overhaul

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by UmbraUnda, Dec 30, 2016.

1. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oo0oo ok. Hmm, that's interesting - I was going to eventually build a platform to rotate on - might as well have the wheels there. Sure, I'll take it - Thanks.

Haha, great! Glad to have you on board.

2. Xonok

Xonok

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    There are instructions in Castle Defence, so you'll have to elaborate a bit more about what it is that doesn't work. The main thing that I can see is that various triggers use rawcodes directly, so you'll have to change those if you didn't use the original map. E.g 'A00N'.

The stuff I said about armor and evasion aren't really a matter of opinion. It's just mathematics. You can't make a unit in default WC3 that is better the more armor an opponent has.

3. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The instructions only go over unit id and only allow for a specific set of units and buildings. So I gotta figure out how to change some variables and change+add more units and buildings to the trigger. When I copy and paste the triggers from that map to my map, it doesn't work because the variables+units/buildings change from that map to my map. I see some obvious lines to change but most are complex so I'm not sure about everything that I have to change so that it works. Also would changing the unit id of the walls in my map to match the id of the castle defense map help make some of the trigger work?

4. Xonok

Xonok

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It should help, yes.
    You can find every unit ID in the triggers quite easily if you know what to look for. They are always between ' signs.
    However, adding new types is something that's bound to be more complicated. You need to be able to read and understand the code for that.

5. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Nice. Cool, that'll help me find em. Well, guess I have to look harder or find someone that knows jass/triggers...
    If you can look through it and tell me what has to change, I'd really appreciate it, but if it's too much to do it's all good. Thanks for the help

6. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, it's been a week. I've made a lot of progress on buildings, custom pathing, upgrades, techs, and stuff that I wasn't gonna do for the beta test but its ok it'll just add the quality experience and be worth the extra wait. All that's left is unit stats, costs and abilities + Terrain

I'm estimating one more week for having the beta test version ready - could be more or less though, my school semester just started and is messing with my schedule.

7. TheFrenchLeprechaun

TheFrenchLeprechaun

Resources:
    Resources:
    First rule with schedules : no schedules :p! More seriously, take your time, the beta release is an important step. I agree with the quality experience thing!

You have a good concept, you seem to have a good realisation of it, and you have testers ready to give it a look. Keep up, you're close ;)!

8. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    not that relevant but i have a suggestion that may or may not work for your map, or be worth the effort.

if you want to be realistic, have the 'mainline' infantry be spearmen instead of swordsmen. not only is this more historically accurate (spears were to swords what rifles are to handguns, i.e. weapon of war vs. sidearm), it could emphasise mechanics like formations and bracing against cavalry charges. the classic "spearmen deal 150% damage vs cavalry and suck against everything else" is very simplistic, robbing the potential for a lot of interesting counterplay options. in real life, how effective spearmen were against cavalry depended on their formation, morale, and how heavily armoured the cavalry were.

tl;dr make spearmen the primary infantry, emphasise counterplay through tactical usage rather than damage tables (e.g. tight formation spearmen > charging cavalry, but archers > tight formation spearmen, but loose formation spearmen > archers and artillery)

now, it's fairly obvious that your map isn't going for total war realism and is more along the lines of the arcade-y AoE feel, but hopefully it's at least some food for thought. we rarely see a map - or even a game, for that matter - attempt to even shallowly replicate these nuances of real medieval combat.

whether you consider this or not, good luck with finishing the map (y)

9. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:

Hey - thanks for the feedback. I like where you're going with this however I'm leaving unit production up to the player. If the player wants to mass up swordsmen or spearmen, its up to the players - you have a point tho, I know it is historically accurate and happened because spearmen were cheaper than fully armored knights - that difference in unit cost will reflect into the game too.

I'd love to have unit formations and a working spear wall that could counter cavalry but that requires a lot of custom scripting - maybe one day when I have someone experienced in triggering to help me make that possible. Or if I can find a similar system here on Hive and I can figure out how to implement it. I would love to have different unit formations, charging units, spear/shield walls and all that. For now it will be the standard wc3 combat system with overhauled damage/armor mechanics.

Yeah - spearmen already have a 175% bonus vs cavalry if you look at the images on page 1 - mechanics overview has a damage table.

I like all your suggestions and most are already in effect or in the works- I can also say each unit type will be unique with their own abilities. Also different weapons will have realistic cooldowns and differences (example: maces/hammer will be slow and cause staggering than swords which will be fast and cause bleeding.)

Well, I would want it as realistic as possible but for wc3 I can only do so much y'know. Maybe one day, if this map is popular I can remake it on a Unity system to be much more realistic and have its own game engine however that's a long way away and takes man power and $.

10. SNIper of DARKness

SNIper of DARKness

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    About unit formations, there is a map about it: Unit Formation Test could prove useful though it has it's downsides.

11. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Interesting - not sure about training squadrons of 10 units, however the unit formations are pretty solid. Useful - hope I can reconstruct this to work on groups of individual units.

12. SNIper of DARKness

SNIper of DARKness

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hey, are those team coloured pauldrons I see? If so could you tell me where to find them, I would find them extremely useful.

13. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yes, indeed they are. Depends- which ones are you referring to? A few of them are reskins of this one model here on hive, the rest are custom rips from other models.

Let me know which one you want or if you want them all and I'll send you links.

14. SNIper of DARKness

SNIper of DARKness

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes, if that would be possible I would like them all.

15. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Alright sure - wait did you only want the pauldrons or the pauldrons and the armors?

16. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Updated the line up of ships - amount of ships up from 4 to 8 now. Also reshaped the longboat to be less round and more long. I feel it's still a bit lacking and there needs to be some modeling/texturing touch ups however it's an improvement and adds more basic and advanced ships for more options.

[​IMG]

17. TheFrenchLeprechaun

TheFrenchLeprechaun

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nice set!

If you need ships models, I have some packs from the different model websites (XGM and Goblin Academy mostly). If you're interested to give it a look just let me know!

18. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks. Sure - more resources are always good. Send me links.

19. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Beta will be ready soon - within a few days probably, latest by next weekend.

20. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yet another week of progress - However its still not ready for testing. I feel I have greatly underestimated the time it takes to do stats for ~200 units. On top of that, I'm getting more and more homework from school that's chipping away at my free time.

So here's what I got done and what's left to do before I feel comfortable releasing a rough alpha test map.
    Finished - New Icons, Resource Costs, Build Times, Movement Speeds, Sight Radius, Unit Sounds, Some Abilities, Unit Upgrade System.
    Unfinished - Terrain (50%), Requirements (techtree), Damage & HP amounts, Weapon Sounds, Unit Descriptions (50%), More Abilities.

Also, there's a lot that still needs works for the future however the triggering and jazz customizing is beyond my skill. Going to need help to implement triggers/jazz found in MassiveMaster's Castle Defense which features rotating buildings, buildable walkable walls, new construction + building upgrade system, and more.

As for the test map - I want to say one more week but idk really with my schedule right now.