1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Medieval Realms

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by UmbraUnda, Jul 2, 2017.

1. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]
    -Medieval Realms-
    Medieval Realms is a grand and complex RTS. It overhauls all the old WC3 systems and adds many new systems along with new mechanics for combat, construction, and much more. Test alpha map will be released soon. Still a work in progress...

Inspired by Stronghold and Age of Empires II

Features
    Camera Zoom, New Combat Mechanics, New Construction System, New Harvest System (7 Total Resources), Everything (Units, Structures, Abilities, etc) is Upgrade-able, Walk-able Walls, Ladders, & Stairs, Custom Pathing, Revised Hero System, Revised Creeps System, Lots of Items, Farming System, Trade System, and Alliances.
    8 Player Map - Altered Melee - Terrain inspired by Germany's beautiful landscapes.

Credits
    MassiveMaster, ZiBitheWand3r3r, and Koltira (Triggers)
    Mirage1 & Himperion (Animations)
    NFWar, The_Silent & Eagle XI (Icons)
    Hayate, Mike, .KC, paladinjst, & GhostThruster (Models)

[​IMG]

Construction
    All structures start off as Building Plots then upgrade into a chosen structure. When Selected, each building under construction has a worker amount and type requirement displayed in the upper right multiboard. (Worker Type: Required #/Max #) Basic buildings require workers, however more advanced structures require an architect in addition to workers. Workers use the construct ability to build structures - simply right click or manually use the construct ability. The more workers constructing, the faster the building is constructed. Also more advanced workers and upgraded workers construct faster.

[​IMG]

Lots of structures... All built from 4x4, 4x8, 8x8, 12x12, and 16x16 Building Plots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Combat

New Combat Mechanics overhaul the old damage/armor types and implements a stagger/critical/block/parry system for all units.

Armor Types: [​IMG] Cloth [​IMG] Leather [​IMG] Mail [​IMG] Plate [​IMG] Cavalry [​IMG] Fortified [​IMG] Beast

Attack Types: [​IMG] Slash [​IMG] Stab [​IMG] Smash [​IMG] Ranged [​IMG] Beast [​IMG] Strike

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Resources:
    Food, Lumber, Population, Clay, Stone, Ore, and Gold.
    Food - Harvested from Plants, Fish, and Animal Corpses.
    Food is used as a primary resource for all human units.
    Lumber - Harvested from trees.
    Lumber is used in building construction, repair, and as a secondary resource to some human units.
    Population - Accumulated from housing structures.
    Population is used up by all units as well as some fortifications: towers, gates, and stronghold.
    Clay - Mined from Clay Deposits.
    Clay is used in building construction and can be processed into Ore.
    Stone - Mined from Stone Deposits.
    Stone is used in building construction and can be processed into Ore.
    Ore - Mined from Ore Deposits.
    Ore is used for advanced and armored units.
    Gold - Mined from Gold Deposits and Profited from Trade.
    Gold can be exchanged for any other resource.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

*Need help with Triggers and Animations. PM me!*
    Sorry some images are pretty pixelated - I'll do new in game screenshots soon.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  2. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    To Do List

Things that need work for Alpha Release:
    • Finish Terrain (80%)

Things that need work for Beta:

• Balance Object Editor Data
    • Fix some abilities - many not working properly or upgrading properly.
    • Fix Hero's Switch Attack-2 ability, causes damage stats on UI to disappear but still works.
    • Add more Abilities
    • Update caster abilities
    • Add unit pathing to other buildings like 'Barracks', not just walls.
    • Fix Wall Pathing Bug while under construction.
    • Fix Doorway Trigger to allow units to move through towers and gates along a wall.
    • Expand Farm System for more types of crops.
    • Add proper Harvest animations to workers for each resource.
    • Revise animations of many other units and buildings.
    • Add more Attachments (+variety).
    • Reshape Attachments for better fit + eliminate clipping.
    • Add more Items. Add Item Stack Trigger.
    • Trade Triggers for Player to Player resource trading and trade cart/ship patrols.
    • Implement Garrison and Bell Tower Abilities and Trigger for Instant Unit Garrison.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  3. Lasersquid112

Lasersquid112

Resources:
    Resources:
    That evolved a lot.

4. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Wait till you see all the new abilities and units :D

5. Lasersquid112

Lasersquid112

Resources:
    Resources:
    Dear god lol
    1v1 me scrub? :D

6. Lasersquid112

Lasersquid112

Resources:
    Resources:
    Suggestions:
    Shield Wall
    Phalanx
    Testudo

7. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    theoretically pretty dope?
    hopefully

8. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    lol one of these days for sure.

I want to implement battle formations so badly... need help with triggering tho :/

You'll find out for yourself soon enough.

I can confirm dope-ness. It will be more dope once I get more help with triggers though.
    I want to implement more systems for battle formations, cavalry charge, etc - then it will be DANK.
    The map's alpha/beta versions will probably be released soon, before the extra triggers are implemented.
    Still, even with just the core systems, its quite a unique experience. Hope you enjoy!

9. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    How do people feel about importing lots of WoW icons for more ability and upgrade icons? This will give enough icons to eliminate duplicate icons.

10. xISLx

xISLx

Resources:
    Resources:
    This mod(map) already looks more unique than most of the indie games I've ever seen :)

Think of how many icons you need;
    Where else would you get that amount of icons?

Using WoW icons is clearly ok for me. :D and using WoW models is a different talk.

11. Lasersquid112

Lasersquid112

Resources:
    Resources:
    Your map, do what you see fit :D

12. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Wow, really? Thank you very much. I hope you enjoy the experience once its released. I'll be posting more updates and screenshots in the mean time...
    One day, I'll remake it as an indie game using Unreal Engine - with enough work, it can be the nextgen Age of Empires.

True - it's in the hundred of icons. 3-5 Tiers per upgrade, 2-4 upgrades for abilities so... Also imported all I could from Hive resources but I still needed more.
    Good, glad you and squid are fine with it. I know some people who don't like importing anything from other games so just making sure everyone doesn't feel that way.
    I like the WoW icons - it works well and fits well with a consistent style of icons. Also some classic WoW icons are nostalgic.

13. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    New ideas about creeps- not sure if I should implement it though. Give me feedback.

Implement Respawn System for Beasts?

In addition to Beasts, should I add Native/Barbarians and Bandits ? Possibly camps/forts for Bandits to guard more lucrative Resource nodes as well?

14. Lasersquid112

Lasersquid112

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh HELL yeah!
    Also, see if you can get the happiness system from Heroes and Empires. It'd be a great addition, as well as the desertion of morale reaches extreme low points.

15. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Oh, these look quite good.

16. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Update: All resource harvest systems are finished - thus all core triggers are now complete and ready for an alpha.
    This includes new farming, hunting, and fishing systems for food. Screenshots soon...
    Many mechanics will be polished and expanded up later on after the initial alpha version.

Alpha should be ready in about a month.

17. Lasersquid112

Lasersquid112

Resources:
    Resources:
    Take your time, don't worry about us getting impatient.

18. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    UPDATE: Sorry about the long wait. Things have been very busy IRL so it's taken much longer than I anticipated. I won't give any more estimates on when it will be done until it's 99% done however I left a progress list in the 2nd comment of this thread so you can always check to see what things are left and how close it is to release.

The map is making progress bit by bit. There's also many things I've added and changed that will make gameplay much better and realistic. Too many to list but here's an example: All ranged units attacks are now artillery so that they have the potential to miss moving targets. (I always thought it was BS that archers couldn't miss...)

Hope there's still interest in this project. Please feel free to leave feedback and or questions about anything. Also will post more screenshots soon.

19. RinKaWaII

RinKaWaII

Resources:
    Resources:
    @UmbraUnda Why won't you just tell us that you are also working on Game of Thrones Map.. I don't care about when this project gonna finish but I think you should focus on Game of Thrones Map..

20. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Haha, way to keep it real. I have also invested some time into that project as well however I haven't put that many hours into yet and won't until Medieval Realms is done. Idk why you would want me to focus on the Game of Thrones map because that would take another year to finish (unless I had a team help me).
    I think I should just focus on Medieval Realms for now to get it done - it's only a few dozen hours from alpha release.

Here's a LINK if anyone wants to check out the Game of Thrones map... screenshots are scattered among each page as it progresses... I'll make a gallery eventually.